6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliche Guevara

One thing I’ve noticed about him is he never seems to draw any fouls in dangerous areas, which most other strikers do. This suggests to me he’s easily beaten to the ball, given he doesn’t tend to hold it up too often.

I do think he isn’t helped by the fact we sit so deep and a lot of the balls to him are very long, which defenders can easily attack. I don’t know why he doesn’t challenge more though. I’d love to see a game where he just decides to foul the whole time. He might get away with a few and, at the very least it would break up opposition attacks. I just really want to see him put himself about more so he realises what it could add to his game.

I do hesitate to say this, but taking everything into account would we be any worse off with Troy Deeney up front instead?

Stacks

Random comment/observation:

Lukaku seems very unsure about how to conduct himself when it comes to closing/chasing down CB's. And with good reason. In those typical, 10-per-game instances where the CF and CB are rushing towards the edge of the box/corner flag and there's shoulder contact, I would bet 99/100 times the linesman rules it against Lukaku sheerly due to his size alone. If the CB hits the deck, Rom's throwing his weight around and its a free-kick.

Replace Lukaku with say, Vardy, in those exact same situations and the linesman's perspective changes completely from 'CF throwing his weight around' to 'plucky terrier giving as good as he gets' and no free-kick is given.

He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Either gets criticised for giving the CB an easy ride or gives away a free-kick and possibly gets booked. His size means he'll very. very rarely be given the benefit of the doubt.​
Zlatan managed just fine. The EPL is a physical league and your mentality should be to 'put yourself about' regardless

lsd

The Oracle
My biggest issue with him is that he doesn’t use his strength and bully defenders. He isn’t even as clinical as I thought he was. He just jogs around the pitch and half heartedly goes into aerial duels. For a player of his strength and height, he is shocking in winning aerial duals.

I just hope he learns to impose himself more in games. Start bullying defenders with his strength.

How can that be your biggest issue ? He's never been that type of player if you watched him before he signed for us .

His strength is using pace and for that he needs proper service.

It's one thing hating on your own players but hating them for not doing things they have never done is crazy

Silas

How can that be your biggest issue ? He's never been that type of player if you watched him before he signed for us .

It's one thing hating on your own players but hating them for not doing things they have never done is crazy
Even when he gets the ball, his finishing isn't all that. He needs to make himself more available too as the service can't get to him if he's usually stood still when a ball's incoming.

diplomat

To play for Manchester United, one has to change his whole mentality and way of looking at football. Lukaku should be striving every single day to become better, especially at things he is very bad.

Rio has talked about this a lot in many interviews and how back in the day any new player was told that he needs to forget his former way of thinking and needs to start acting as a Manchester United player. Being content at the current ability level is what suits Everton, not us.

LoneStar

He’s still pretty young and far from the finished article. How is it wrong to suggest an area of improvement? Especially when he has the physical attributes for that.

Also his movement and runs has hardly been any good. He has a very heavy touch. And he is nowhere near deadly in front of the goal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Someone on Reddit made a good compilation of all the passes that was played to Lukaku

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/7umpvz/lukaku_hold_up_play/

How can anyone expect him to do anything with these passes is beyond me. Few times the passes were played to his feet and he did really well to keep the ball and play the passes, but hoofing the ball everytime? Laughable way to use him.

Also people should stop knee jerking, watch some videos and make up their mind.

roonster09

Scout
Funny you should ask:

53 fecking percent.

It is not even the Top 6. He hasn't been playing well even against the fodder. Since his goal drought, he's merely scored goals when we have already been 2-0 and 3-0 up and done feck all otherwise.

I give him 1.5 seasons before he is either sold or benched. Still a long time away though thanks to his price tag.

On the contrary, he's the biggest worry and the weakest link in attack. If a team is 2-0 down and playing badly, a top striker like Zlatan, Costa or Kane would get onto the end of even a bad pass and make something out of it to pull their team back into the game. That would raise the game of the other forwards too as it provides them confidence.

Lukaku is like a little kid who hides behind the apron-strings of Martial, Lingard etc and comes out of hiding to stat-pad.
You know that 53% is including all the aerial duels he was involved in right? Goal kicks, hoofballs where he is supposed to head the ball and keep it.

Watch the link I have posted and how can anyone expect Lukaku to hold the ball with these passes?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You know that 53% is including all the aerial duels he was involved in right? Goal kicks, hoofballs where he is supposed to head the ball and keep it.

Watch the link I have posted and how can anyone expect Lukaku to hold the ball with these passes?
Not entirely sure it includes aerial duels, but if it does, it's only in the ones he actually won and not barely won that he could do nothing with. It's actual passes. He completed 10 of 23 vs Spurs for 43%. Kane, who also had to deal with a bunch of long balls, had 71%. But that's just one game. One game you can put down to no platform to succeed or shit all around, so I don't blame Lukaku toooo much for that game, just like I can't put blame on lingard or martial or Sanchez. Problem in that game was the midfield.

But when Lukaku has those sort of stats all season against anyone decent? That's when you just have to accept that he is really lacking in that department. His pass success all season is at a pretty woeful 67% too (only De Gea's is worse - as he's a goalkeeper who hoofs a lot. Next closest is 8% away in Rojo who loves a hoof). But none of that is a surprise. He's been in the league for a long time. Everyone knew he is shit technically, that he has a poor touch, that he struggles outside of the box at anything resembling build up play. Fact is that in addition to all that, Lukaku hasn't been scoring goals either and doesn't get in good opportunities himself either. He's just been shit for the most part and if he keeps this up, he'll be replaced really quickly, irrespective of fee. The fee we paid gives him leeway to an extent, but nobody will put up with a striker who is struggling that badly, and Lukaku is definitely struggling.

Listar

Can we play lukaku on the right with a 4-3-3?

martial................................Lukaku
...............Sanchez/lingard.................
.........Pogba.....Matic......Herrera........
Don'tcare Don'tcare Don'tcare Don'tcare
.........................God........................

roonster09

Scout
Not entirely sure it includes aerial duels, but if it does, it's only in the ones he actually won and not barely won that he could do nothing with. It's actual passes. He completed 10 of 23 vs Spurs for 43%. Kane, who also had to deal with a bunch of long balls, had 71%. But that's just one game. One game you can put down to no platform to succeed or shit all around, so I don't blame Lukaku toooo much for that game, just like I can't put blame on lingard or martial or Sanchez. Problem in that game was the midfield.

But when Lukaku has those sort of stats all season against anyone decent? That's when you just have to accept that he is really lacking in that department. His pass success all season is at a pretty woeful 67% too (only De Gea's is worse - as he's a goalkeeper who hoofs a lot. Next closest is 8% away in Rojo who loves a hoof). But none of that is a surprise. He's been in the league for a long time. Everyone knew he is shit technically, that he has a poor touch, that he struggles outside of the box at anything resembling build up play. Fact is that in addition to all that, Lukaku hasn't been scoring goals either and doesn't get in good opportunities himself either. He's just been shit for the most part and if he keeps this up, he'll be replaced really quickly, irrespective of fee. The fee we paid gives him leeway to an extent, but nobody will put up with a striker who is struggling that badly, and Lukaku is definitely struggling.
It includes aerial duels including goal kicks.

Lukaku isn't as good as Kane, I don't think anyone even argued that but this 53%, some context should be used.

Against most stronger teams, Jose's team drop deep and play long balls than other teams, so obviously Lukaku's stats will be shit compared to others.

bosnian_red

It includes aerial duels including goal kicks.

Lukaku isn't as good as Kane, I don't think anyone even argued that but this 53%, some context should be used.

Against most stronger teams, Jose's team drop deep and play long balls than other teams, so obviously Lukaku's stats will be shit compared to others.
53% over a series of games. I don't care about what tactic you use. That number is inexcusable and you can't defend it. It simply has to improve.

Also yes we know Kane is obviously better then Lukaku. Lukaku though is bigger and stronger physically. Unfortunately doesn't know how to use his body so loses out on so many duels, and that's part of what i'm getting at. There isn't a single part of his game that is even on par with Kane, let alone being better. He's just not good enough.

roonster09

Scout
53% over a series of games. I don't care about what tactic you use. That number is inexcusable and you can't defend it. It simply has to improve.

Also yes we know Kane is obviously better then Lukaku. Lukaku though is bigger and stronger physically. Unfortunately doesn't know how to use his body so loses out on so many duels, and that's part of what i'm getting at. There isn't a single part of his game that is even on par with Kane, let alone being better. He's just not good enough.
Eh? If you just the hoof the ball and play for flick ons then what percentage are you expecting?

bosnian_red

Eh? If you just the hoof the ball and play for flick ons then what percentage are you expecting?
That's blatantly not all we do, but whatever. Make constant excuses for 50% pass completion if you want, he won't last here unless he drastically improves though, quote me on that. That is an embarrassingly bad record for big games and that's all there is to it. No matter the style. The likes of Carroll and Crouch are at pretty much 60% pass completion in the league this season. Lukaku in the big games is at 53. 53. Literally every other pass he misplaces. He doesn't deal with 50 hoofs a game to make that so bad. It's inexcusable.

roonster09

Scout
That's blatantly not all we do, but whatever. Make constant excuses for 50% pass completion if you want, he won't last here unless he drastically improves though, quote me on that. That is an embarrassingly bad record for big games and that's all there is to it. No matter the style. The likes of Carroll and Crouch are at pretty much 60% pass completion in the league this season. Lukaku in the big games is at 53. 53. Literally every other pass he misplaces. He doesn't deal with 50 hoofs a game to make that so bad. It's inexcusable.
Lets see how many times then.

Vs Liverpool - 9 aerial duels, won 4
Vs Spurs at home - 8, won 4
Vs Chelsea - 8, won 3
Vs Arsenal - 16, won 11
Vs City - 13, won 4
Vs Spurs - 10, won 5

Isn't that number big enough?

Unless someone gives breakdown on his ground passing percentage, this is completely out of context as most times Lukaku heads the ball which has more chance of missing the target than finding them.

Classical Mechanic

Are you saying that pass completion includes aerial duels?

roonster09

Scout
Are you saying that pass completion includes aerial duels?
Yes, only crosses are excluded and they are counted as separate stat.

PASSES
Squawka counts the following as Passes and therefore includes the events it in it's calculation of Pass Accuracy:
  • Key Passes & Assists
  • Headed Passes
  • Through Balls
  • Long balls (over 35 yards)
  • Ground passes
We don't count the following as Passes and therefore don't include the events in our calculation of Pass Accuracy:
  • Crosses
  • Free-Kicks
  • Corners
  • Throw-Ins
  • Keeper Throws
  • Goal Kicks
N.B. Crosses and Corners are counted separately and Goalkeepers have their own separate distribution statistics. Also, Key Passes & Assists that are subsidiaries of the above are not included in our calculation of Pass Accuracy.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Someone on Reddit made a good compilation of all the passes that was played to Lukaku

How can anyone expect him to do anything with these passes is beyond me. Few times the passes were played to his feet and he did really well to keep the ball and play the passes, but hoofing the ball everytime? Laughable way to use him.

I agree. The service is shambolic and we just dont play to his strengths. Beginning of the season we did, and he scored goals. On the other hand, looks like he cant do anything right right now, things dont come off and he has to improve his form baldy

roonster09

Scout
I agree. The service is shambolic and we just dont play to his strengths. Beginning of the season we did, and he scored goals. On the other hand, looks like he cant do anything right right now, things dont come off and he has to improve his form baldy
Not sure about the form. After the City defeat

Vs Bournemouth - Scored our only goal
Vs West Brom - Scored our first goal in 2-1 in
Vs Bristol - Came on as a sub and looked more threatening than any player
Vs Leicester away - Created 4 or 5 clear cut chances which our players missed
Vs Burnley - Thought he was poor in this game
Vs Southampton - he was off injured
Vs Derby - Came on and scored
Vs Stoke - Scored
Vs Burnley - Assisted our only goal with very good play
Vs Yeovil - Came on and scored
Vs Spurs - He was very poor.

His form isn't bad but against Spurs he was though for various reasons.

I agree with your general points, he needs to improve a lot too.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not sure about the form. After the City defeat

Vs Bournemouth - Scored our only goal
Vs West Brom - Scored our first goal in 2-1 in
Vs Bristol - Came on as a sub and looked more threatening than any player
Vs Leicester away - Created 4 or 5 clear cut chances which our players missed
Vs Burnley - Thought he was poor in this game
Vs Southampton - he was off injured
Vs Derby - Came on and scored
Vs Stoke - Scored
Vs Burnley - Assisted our only goal with very good play
Vs Yeovil - Came on and scored
Vs Spurs - He was very poor.

His form isn't bad but against Spurs he was though for various reasons.

I agree with your general points, he needs to improve a lot too.
Not really in terms of scoring but in terms of his general play, confidence level etc

Hammondo

He does really badly in those clips. His movement was almost non-existent, hes 2nd the to ball when hes got the advantage, and his "passes" are poor.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Im nervous everytime he gets possession - and relieved everytime he manages not to lose it - the complete opposite of what you want from a utd striker.

I dont think I will be able to fully enjoy following utd until he is gone.

JohnnyKills

I've always thought he'll be a stop-gap signing. Give him a couple of years and we'll either get someone else in or promote Rashford.

Lukaku seems like a top guy and he's a good finisher, but his all-round game is seriously lacking at the moment.

I know the 'WWFD' aphorisms annoy people but it's telling in this case: Fergie would never have signed Lukaku. His touch and technique aren't good enough to have played in a Fergie team (Cole's touch wasn't brilliant either but his incredible movement compensated).

The good thing is that the gross inflation of transfer fees means Lukaku can be benched or moved on and there won't be too much fuss made about it. If players are going for £150m, a £75m bench-warmer isn't going to attract too much negative comment.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Im nervous everytime he gets possession - and relieved everytime he manages not to lose it - the complete opposite of what you want from a utd striker.

I dont think I will be able to fully enjoy following utd until he is gone.
Really?

Unfortunately for you then, I fear you may not enjoy watching us for a while yet.

He’s a very average player. He will probably get 20 goals this season, but he can’t create anything himself, so feel that most strikers could take his place and we wouldn’t notice much difference.

His hold up play is non existent, he doesn’t bring in others, he is not good enough for Utd, but he’s what we have got, and think he’s here for the foreseeable future.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like him.

He'll never be top class, but he will always score goals and bully defenders. We need to make sure we feed him properly, not just with little passes around the box but making the most of his ability in the air. We were scoring quite a few goals from crosses at the start of the season and this has dried up a bit.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He’s a very average player. He will probably get 20 goals this season, but he can’t create anything himself, so feel that most strikers could take his place and we wouldn’t notice much difference.

His hold up play is non existent, he doesn’t bring in others, he is not good enough for Utd, but he’s what we have got, and think he’s here for the foreseeable future.
I would hope so, he's on 18 already...

I like him.

He'll never be top class, but he will always score goals and bully defenders. We need to make sure we feed him properly, not just with little passes around the box but making the most of his ability in the air. We were scoring quite a few goals from crosses at the start of the season and this has dried up a bit.
He doesn’t bully players, that’s half the problem, he’s not aggressive, he doesn’t use his strength to hold off defenders, he is very easy to dispossess.

sincher

Aye, but the the other 7 still count!

Also, he didn't specify 20 league goals... :p
Yeah I guess the point for me is that 20 goals in the league is a really good marking point, not that easy to do, and noone has done it at United for 4 seasons on the spin (Ibra got 17 last year, Rooney 17 the year after Van Persie left - he was the last to do it with 26 in 2012/2013)

If he does do it, everyone really should STFU about him being any part of our problems IMO.

Aye, but the the other 7 still count!

Also, he didn't specify 20 league goals... :p
True I didn’t, should have said 20+ which would give me more wiggle room!

I think he will get around 25 goals in all competitions this season. Would be great if he hit another purple patch, but I just can’t see it happening.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Yeah I guess the point for me is that 20 goals in the league is a really good marking point, not that easy to do, and noone has done it at United for a while (Ibra got 17 last year).

If he does do it, everyone really should STFU about him being any part of our problems IMO.
:rolleyes:

sincher

True I didn’t, should have said 20+ which would give me more wiggle room!

I think he will get around 25 goals in all competitions this season. Would be great if he hit another purple patch, but I just can’t see it happening.
Pessimistic. He will get more if he doesn't get injured.

Aresma7

I think in-form Zlatan would do a much better job than current Lukaku. Lukaku's first touch and close ball controll is so poor. I think our best 20 minutes of fotball this year was when Lukaku was out, the game after his head injury, and we had Martial up top.

Even though I rate Lukaku as a good striker, I dont see him taking the necessary step to become the Manchester United calibre striker we need. He just lacks that natural ball talent that most top strikers are gifted with.

Even though Zlatan is way past his best.I think he could do a better job up top as number 9.Linking up and holding the ball so Sanchez and Martial have time to run up and set up plays. Even though I want him replaced with another top striker this summer, I hope he can come in and show some quality in CL. Ive lost faith in Lukaku I'm afraid.

Reactions: Raoul

United_We_Stand

"It’s started really well," he said of his United career so far. "I think I started really well but then I had a setback for about two months where I didn’t play well. But, like the rest of the team, I’ve started 2018 really well so we have to keep going, keep working hard, improve and get results.

"It’s a situation where obviously I’m a striker first so I think about scoring goals, but sometimes there were moments where I was doing much more for the team, things which would benefit the team, so that’s the most important thing.

"The team comes first and I think I had to find the right balance between sometimes going for myself and sometimes helping the team. I think I found the right click and it’s going to benefit the team even more.

"I think it speaks for itself," he added. "I’ve always been a goalscorer since I was a kid, so I never knew anything else. But, when you play for Manchester United, you know that the team comes first and, for me, it was also an important thing for me to come here because I wanted to play for trophies and fight for trophies and we’re still doing it. So that’s the most important thing and I’m scoring goals along the way, so it’s good."

When asked if he has a specific target in mind, he replied: "I always keep it personal but I’m on the way [to reaching it]."

"They [Huddersfield] can be dangerous – they were dangerous against us [earlier in the season] but we started really badly in that game too," the striker said. "It’s going to be a good game but a game where it has to be a bit of revenge for us because we didn’t really turn up there, only in the second half, so this has to change. Hopefully, we can put it right."

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I guess the point for me is that 20 goals in the league is a really good marking point, not that easy to do, and noone has done it at United for 4 seasons on the spin (Ibra got 17 last year, Rooney 17 the year after Van Persie left - he was the last to do it with 26 in 2012/2013)

What about 19 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.