6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCaine

So it was his fault that the manager put a striker who can't clear to defend a set piece?
So a 6'3 professional footballer guy cannot win headers or kick properly and it is the manager's fault now.

BigCaine

I'm really tired of this nonsense debate. My point was that only in the city game can we blame him for dropped points. Take it how you want, I'm done.
He is actually the one at most fault for our bad football in big games other than mourinho. Mourinho's football in big games depends very largely on the front man being able to win the aerial duels and keep the ball under pressure so as to allow us to break at them, something lukaku has shown he is completely and utterly rubbish at be it at everton or man utd. His inability to hold the ball leads to just us defending never having an outlet to break unless one of the other players makes a nearly full pitch run to get to their attacking third.

Newcastle 1:0 Man Utd

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously hasn't had a chance so far but sometimes I wonder how he always fails to get anything on those long balls. He either overruns them, doesn't jump, or just flicks it to nowhere. Really needs to improve his timing and reading the high balls.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Obviously hasn't had a chance so far but sometimes I wonder how he always fails to get anything on those long balls. He either overruns them, doesn't jump, or just flicks it to nowhere. Really needs to improve his timing and reading the high balls.
His game isn’t direct balls, despite his height and physique.
That’s why he struggles with them.
Everton never played that way either.

I’m not sure why Jose keeps insisting otherwise.

Minimalist

So what hasn't he done right this half? Bar dribbling past 3 defenders and slotting it away...

Really don't know what half the Caf are moaning about it. It's absurd.

FujiVice

He was ALWAYS criticized and considered a striker who 'needed 10 chances to score'. He was a polarizing figure among fans.
Oh right. Dont think there was ever a debate on Cole's ability on the ball or his willingness to get himself around, though. Standards were much higher back then as well.

bosnian_red

His game isn’t direct balls, despite his height and physique.
That’s why he struggles with them.
Everton never played that way either.

I’m not sure why Jose keeps insisting otherwise.
It's the type of thing where it doesn't matter if it's his game or not, he has to do better for those. It's a simple jump up in the air and timing it better. He sprints past every time

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's the type of thing where it doesn't matter if it's his game or not, he has to do better for those. It's a simple jump up in the air and timing it better. He sprints past every time
He’s not good in the air, hence why he gets beat so often.

Judging him for his weaknesses when we don’t play to his strengths is bizarre to me.

Loublaze

ATLien
Oh right. Dont think there was ever a debate on Cole's ability on the ball or his willingness to get himself around, though. Standards were much higher back then as well.
They took issue with him taking chances though, as much as they do now with Lukaku's apparent issues, it doesn't have to be the same criticism.

bosnian_red

He’s not good in the air, hence why he gets beat so often.

Judging him for his weaknesses when we don’t play to his strengths is bizarre to me.
I know it's not his strength but he pretty much just misses the ball every time. Not like he gets shrugged off all the time (which is another issue), he just overruns it and misses it

haram

Great half but nothing has been created for him bar the chance at the end.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I know it's not his strength but he pretty much just misses the ball every time. Not like he gets shrugged off all the time (which is another issue), he just overruns it and misses it
I understand that - I’ve openly said that he’s not good at it, you are admitting that you know it’s not his strength.
But you’re implying that he should just suddenly change and be better at it all of a sudden?

Getting frustrated at his ability in the air and you’ll end up pretty angry.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good performance? standards must seriously be low of what is expected of a world-class striker capable of playing for this club.

He's been OK. Hasn't done anything bad, but he's hardly been a menace which is what you expect of a top United 9.

bosnian_red

I understand that - I’ve openly said that he’s not good at it, you are admitting that you know it’s not his strength.
But you’re implying that he should just suddenly change and be better at it all of a sudden?

Getting frustrated at his ability in the air and you’ll end up pretty angry.
It's not like it's overall on the ball ability - genuinely think it's something he can improve on with training or just timing his runs better. Especially as in the box he suddenly knows what to do with his head. He's good when he's trying to score but when he's just heading to win the ball it's way different for him.

bosnian_red

Good performance? standards must seriously be low of what is expected of a world-class striker capable of playing for this club.

He's been OK. Hasn't done anything bad, but he's hardly been a menace which is what you expect of a top United 9.
Yup. People seem to have forgotten what a United caliber #9 is. Van Persie, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Hughes, etc.. iin between these strikers, we basically just had people fill in until we found a solution. Lukaku is more "fill in" standard rather then United quality.

James Peril

Great half but nothing has been created for him bar the chance at the end.
If you have a the chance to shoot from the box with free sight, a chance had obviously been created and the word «nothing» seems stupid. He got a great chance and missed it because he’s too fecking slow at pulling the trigger, as usual. Him and Martial really should be studying videos of Aguero and Kane

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

If he scores, people criticise his general play.

If his general play his good, people criticise the fact that he hasnt scored.

People need to make their minds up. What is it you want from him?

PoTMS

Best player on the pitch so far. Everything you want from a centre forward, except a goal.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think he’s done well, the passes jnto him are awful and very difficult to control. In spite of that he’s managed to retain possession the majority of he time.

The 10 players behind him are offering absolutely nothing meaning we keep going long and expect him to win a header against 2 centre halves.

Our best moment cane from his hold up play and lay-off.

JoaquinJoaquin

His overall play is certainly improving and he is putting to strength to good use today. Need him to pop up with a goal though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yup. People seem to have forgotten what a United caliber #9 is. Van Persie, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Hughes, etc.. iin between these strikers, we basically just had people fill in until we found a solution. Lukaku is more "fill in" standard rather then United quality.
Its like what one decent cross, couple of decent wall passes, one good long ball. That now constitutes a good performance from a £75m player, not to mention the last chance where he was having to bring it back on to his left foot when the natural thing is to touch that ball into space from Sanchez header and smack that with your right.

He's definitely not been poor, or reason why we are drawing etc.. but people in a rush to defend him are overrating very average performances.

Bobski

Excellent half from Lukaku. General play was of good quality and I liked to see the aggression he was playing with in contact.

AshRK

Jeez sow fans just don't want to praise him. After Sanchez he has been our best attacker. But of course let us bash him.

El Jefe

He's done okay but again, the moment he's presented with a good opening, his touch fails him. A better striker gets a shot off there much quicker than Lukaku did.

His touch in crucial moments in the box is poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.