Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
I thought he was poor, I was hoping Martial would come on in place of him
Your second sentence is the reason for your first sentence.

He caused the Spurs defence a lot of problems today. Not a great performance, but not bad either.

Trizy

He was never getting anything while been man marked by Vertonghen and been double marked on the headers.

Both Jose and Lukaku knew that before the game. He occupied the defense well.

Hephaestus

His main job is to score goals - let's not try mask it another way.
Basically only had one chance the entire game which the ref randomly penalised him for. Otherwise his workrate was great, he dragged defenders around and he brought in teammates well. Solid all round.

Eddy_JukeZ

Didn't think he was great(why does he lose many aerial duels?), but he livened up late on.

Silas

Put a shift in, but didn't perform well. That being said, he still created a very good chance for Lingard with a cross from the right wing. Herrera bailed him out after that shocking touch as well.

El Zoido

Great assist for the winner. The way he read it perfectly and then deftly nudged the ball towards Herrera while simultaneously playing a triple dummy on the Spurs back line. It left them all at sea and meant a guaranteed goal. This goal was 99% Rom, top lad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought he had a good game. Should have tested keeper couple of times but overall he had a good game. He created very good chance for Lingard and also one on one for Rashford.

Devil may care

Played his part in the second goal with a good header and a dodgy first touch that ran to Ander, and he had a couple of surging runs, not one of his better games but he was ok.

roseguy64

Did well enough today. Got himself into a few shooting positions and should have done better with those but he put himself about and did his other jobs, apart from scoring, well.

MAME DIOUF 32

I rated him lower than most today. His control was all over the place (again) and I never felt confident that anything would come of him running at defenders. That being said, I guess he can claim an assist?

divad

He will probably continue to get 15-25 goals in the PL, but he lacks so much finesse and balance, every time he shoots it looks so awkward and i cant remember a top team playing with a striker like him since Mario Gomez played for bayern and even he was much better technical, dont think ill ever warm to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

He should've laid the pass on after being released by Pogba instead of going for the near post shot. Was a big opportunity missed. He was 1 on 1 with Vertonghen I think with no-one near him. Apart from that he did OK. His job today was to physically occupy Vertonghen creating space for the others which he did very well.

criticalanalysis

When he faces the goal = good. Channel running, powerful dribbling driving towards goal, good cross to Lingard and pressuring of defenders.

With his back to goal = bad. Doesn't win headers/position, awful first touch and lumbering around when not involved in play.

Surprised Mourinho doesn't call him up on this. One simple ball to your striker, some hold up play means your whole team can push forward and pressure the opposition. With Lukaku you don't know what you're gonna get in those situations.

Can't fault his mentality, just needs more guidance from his coach.

Litch

Great first season but thought he looked tired today. Do think it's horses for courses and there are times when we should start Martial through the centre.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Pretty shite tbh. You just never get the feeling he's going to score with any of the chances he gets. When you compare him to someone like RVP the difference is night and day.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I thought he did well, he kept their defenders occupied which allowed for Sanchez, Lingard, Pogba and Rashford to venture forward without much trouble. He didn't threaten the goal but he contributed massively to our attack today.

Paul lily

I thought he did well, he kept their defenders occupied which allowed for Sanchez, Lingard, Pogba and Rashford to venture forward without much trouble. He didn't threaten the goal but he contributed massively to our attack today.
Well said he's our bully up front while the magic happens around him with Paul Alex Jess Mark and Tony

ChaddyP

Pretty shite tbh. You just never get the feeling he's going to score with any of the chances he gets. When you compare him to someone like RVP the difference is night and day.
Rvp wishes he was scoring this amount of goals at 24.

Walters_19_MuFc

Very isolated at times, and found it tough against two physically imposing defenders in Vertonghen and Sanchez. However, I felt he worked tirelessly and played a big part in the second goal, winning the flick on, later resulting in Herrera's goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He has a great attitude, and full of good intentions on the football pitch , but he’s not a top class forward player in my opinion. Doesn’t have nearly enough ability.

With his back to goal = bad. Doesn't win headers/position, awful first touch and lumbering around when not involved in play.
He is getting better at this though. He is learning to direct his control away from defenders so if it's a loose touch it's not so easy to intercept and he's stopping them come around him so easily when hes got his back to them. Both fairly basic things he wasn't doing when he first joined.

As a team we need to stop hoofing it quite so aimlessly to him at times.

Stacks

Rvp wishes he was scoring this amount of goals at 24.
funny enough Rom has more match experience than when RVP came to United. Rom has played 292 career league matches. in early 2013 had 255. Rom has actually more minutes under his belt than prime RVP. when players start their careers at 17/18, the age thing kind of goes out the window. They are as experienced as anyone will be considering strikers typically hold down a place from 22/23 onwards.

Shark

@NotShark
Tbh I can’t really criticize Lukaku. He’s one of the few players week in, week out that even during poor performances, contributes something or at least gives it his all. I’ve never felt he doesn’t put 100% in, and that’s why Jose loves him.

el3mel

Rom is having a very decent debut season at a big club, have become more than a typical poacherand is started to get involved more in the play. His physicality and presence allow him to occupy defenders while leaving other spaces for other players to thrive in these big games. He's turning to an all round strikerand that's better.

Sure his first touch is erratic at times and his hold up play need to improve more but all these have been improving consistently throughout the season. His mentality, passion and desire to succeed here is beyond impressive.

I'll rate his debut season at 7.5 out of 10 due to the dry spell in October / November / December but other than he was clinical enough and pailed us multiple times in several games. Need to score more in the league next season though that's for sure.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Attitude can't be questioned and i've been a huge fan of him this season, but i thought he was quite poor today. His touch let him down often and he should have done better with some of the balls he received, especially when we was under pressure for periods of the second half. Still been great for us but a little disappointing today.

dogwithabone

He needs to marry up his undoubted strength with just a bit more cuteness in certain situations. Ploughed a lone furrow up there though and not an easy job.

Stacks

He has a great attitude, and full of good intentions on the football pitch , but he’s not a top class forward player in my opinion. Doesn’t have nearly enough ability.
I kind of agree. When put through a couple times today, I kind of didn't expect to see the net ripple because he must have no obstructions, feet planted and in front of goal to score. You can't expect him to beat the defender with skill, or pull back and spank one into the top corner from range.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Put a lot of effort in today. His touch really is shite though. Thankfully he shited it up right into Herrera's path this time.

RedStarUnited

I constamtly see people say he “worked hard” and I just dont see it.

Sanchez works hard, this guy just does enough to me. The anount of runs I think he can make and doesnt (See Vardy) or useless headers he does to no one when he could control.

He needs to improve.

Ashley R1+O

Beast. Never gives in, he will drive us next season and will be the heartbeat of our team going forward. Balance out the attack and put a couple of fullbacks who can attack into the side and he will transform yet again. No doubt about it.

ti vu

:lol:

The irony is strong. Quite overall decent game than the bad big game reputation but fecked up important moment to score, assist properly. Then you know what, and got an assist. You can't make this shite up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I kind of agree. When put through a couple times today, I kind of didn't expect to see the net ripple because he must have no obstructions, feet planted and in front of goal to score. You can't expect him to beat the defender with skill, or pull back and spank one into the top corner from range.
Precisely.

It’s weird because sometimes, the ‘criticism’ I may have in my head is ‘why doesn’t he just turn that defender in and out and score?’, or something to that effect. Football logics will say that is an unfair expectation, but for a £75m United forward, is it really? This is the fear we would have if an Mbappé or Aguero isolated one of our defenders near the goal, but with Lukaku, expecting anything out of the ordinary appears to be asking too much, simply as the ability isn’t there to deliver it. The shot he got on target in the second half, following a through-ball from Pogba is an example. He had one defender between him and the goal with a bit of space. Some will credit him because he’s a ‘tryer’, and ‘still managed to get a shot on target’ although it was never going to trouble the keeper from there. But I saw that as a perfect opportunity for him to work a better angle for himself and score. This is why he is still in the teens for PL goals this season and the more special forwards are well over 20. ‘Service’ is very subjective for a top-class forward. It’s something I’ve been thinking of making a thread on for a while, think I might just do so later.

TypeR

Lumbering. Thought he held the ball up very well tonight, but clumsy in his technique as always. Once he gets running forward though, few can stop him. Overall, I'd say he's much improved on his build-up, and is a good striker. But at 24-going-25 years of age, you'd have to wonder if he'd ever develop his technique enough to get to the next level.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rom is having a very decent debut season at a big club, have become more than a typical poacherand is started to get involved more in the play. His physicality and presence allow him to occupy defenders while leaving other spaces for other players to thrive in these big games. He's turning to an all round strikerand that's better.

Sure his first touch is erratic at times and his hold up play need to improve more but all these have been improving consistently throughout the season. His mentality, passion and desire to succeed here is beyond impressive.

I'll rate his debut season at 7.5 out of 10 due to the dry spell in October / November / December but other than he was clinical enough and pailed us multiple times in several games. Need to score more in the league next season though that's for sure.

Wow.....So lets say he didn't have that dry spell, or let's take away that dry spell....what would you rate his season at then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.