6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRM

You have to be taking the piss to call Lukaku's output average without acknowledging the shite attacking play (which takes place mainly behind him) we've seen all season. We create less chances than the rest of the top six for a start.
No mate, 16 in the league is an average return no matter what way you look at it. Here is the list of players who've scored more than him

Salah - 31
Kane - 28
Aguero - 21
Sterling - 18
Vardy - 18
Lukaku - 16

To add to this, I think we can all agree that Lacazette has had a poor to average season and at one point even lost his place in the team. Well, he still managed to score 14 goals, 2 less than Lukaku!

In his last two seasons at everton he scored 18 and 25 league goals and you cant tell me we're less attacking that Everton! The simple matter of the fact is he's had an average season and is capable of so much more! Here's hoping to a more productive season next year!

Lukakusfirsttouch

Lukaku in my opinion will never been good enough for Utd. He just doesn’t have the class about him. To only have 16 goals yet be the focal point on Man Utd is very very poor. I think that Toby Abraham could even match that if he played for Man Utd maybe even more. Lukaku is soo average at best he can’t even control the ball half the time! The sooner you realise it the better. He just isn’t good enough in my opinion. Look at our previous strikers RVP, Ruud, ole, Rooney, Saha they are the standard we need for UTD not a big bumbling battle ram like lukaku!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Drogba
Milito
Costa
Benzema

All of the above had 'average' goal outputs of 1 in every 2 games under Mourinho.

Strikers do not exist in a vacuum and the system we play is not designed to feed Lukaku. Strikers under Mourinho facilitate the team and allow other players to score. All of his teams had goals coming from the whole front line.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I expected more than 16 goals in the league but then again the service he was getting at times this season wasn't good enough and most strikers would've struggled. I have a lot of faith in Lukaku, I rated him highly before he came to United and he'll only get better here.

Trizy

2 full backs that can add to attack and finally signing a RW and I'd imagine his goal tally will increase massively.

The 3 mentioned signings don't exactly have to assist Lukaku, they'll create space within the box by dragging defenders away. Thus allow Lukaku to have more chances. Obviously he's a beast in the air so they'll assist him from crosses, too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I expected more than 16 goals in the league but then again the service he was getting at times this season wasn't good enough and most strikers would've struggled. I have a lot of faith in Lukaku, I rated him highly before he came to United and he'll only get better here.
Strikers under Mourinho are never prolific. It's because they are expected to hold up the ball and feed the runners from midfield.

Lukaku scored more at Everton because the team was designed to feed him chances, Lukaku has a big creative burden in this team and will always have this burden under this manager.

ZombieFootball

Strikers under Mourinho are never prolific. It's because they are expected to hold up the ball and feed the runners from midfield.

Lukaku scored more at Everton because the team was designed to feed him chances, Lukaku has a big creative burden in this team and will always have this burden under this manager.
Then why did he buy Lukaku? hes neither good at holding up the ball or a good creator, he has no flair and cant make something out of nothing. Lukaku needs to be the main man getting service to get the best out of him.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I think he had a good season overall for us but agreed that he should have scored more being a focal point of Manchester United playing almost all games. Glenn Murray would outscore him for us so I expect a better season from him next year, if he doesn't step up we shouldn't be shy to bring another forward to be a competition for him

Minimalist

Drogba
Milito
Costa
Benzema

All of the above had 'average' goal outputs of 1 in every 2 games under Mourinho.

Strikers do not exist in a vacuum and the system we play is not designed to feed Lukaku. Strikers under Mourinho facilitate the team and allow other players to score. All of his teams had goals coming from the whole front line.
Literally the comparison he's given and they can't remember that Drogba was a reliable front-man, not a prolific one.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He can certainly improve in certain areas but I don’t put the poor goal return (16 in PL) all on him. That number will surely increase with better service and talent around him. That said he needs to do better in the bigger games (City, Pool and Spurs especially).

Good signs in his first season but not the finished article.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

That's true mate. Lukaku is at his best when he's making runs in behind and he hasn't done that enough at United. A lot of the time he comes too deep for my liking.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Then why did he buy Lukaku? hes neither good at holding up the ball or a good creator, he has no flair and cant make something out of nothing. Lukaku needs to be the main man getting service to get the best out of him.
Lukaku is in fact a good creator. He has the joint most assists for strikers in the league and has laid chances on a plate for team mates over and over. He also has a fantastic cross on him. The major weakness of Lukaku is his control of long balls, he's horrible at judging headers and his touch lets him down when the ball is played at speed to him.

Literally the comparison he's given and they can't remember that Drogba was a reliable front-man, not a prolific one.
Was that directed at me?

Drogba was a 1 in 2 striker, didn't score that many goals but was always instrumental in Chelsea's forward play. He is the 'ideal' striker for the system the manager wants, his game wasn't about goals.

Minimalist

Lukaku is in fact a good creator. He has the joint most assists for strikers in the league and has laid chances on a plate for team mates over and over. He also has a fantastic cross on him. The major weakness of Lukaku is his control of long balls, he's horrible at judging headers and his touch lets him down when the ball is played at speed to him.

Was that directed at me?

Drogba was a 1 in 2 striker, didn't score that many goals but was always instrumental in Chelsea's forward play. He is the 'ideal' striker for the system the manager wants, his game wasn't about goals.
Was meant to be backing you up.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Lukaku in my opinion will never been good enough for Utd. He just doesn’t have the class about him. To only have 16 goals yet be the focal point on Man Utd is very very poor. I think that Toby Abraham could even match that if he played for Man Utd maybe even more. Lukaku is soo average at best he can’t even control the ball half the time! The sooner you realise it the better. He just isn’t good enough in my opinion. Look at our previous strikers RVP, Ruud, ole, Rooney, Saha they are the standard we need for UTD not a big bumbling battle ram like lukaku!
He’s woeful - the two goals he gave to City in the first derby pretty much killed the title race too.

I’d go all-in for Icardi, but if he’s not attainable oeven Lewandowski or Cavani should be pursued this summer; ageing but of infinitely better pedigree and would solve this problem for a few seasons until a better option comes onto the market.

You can see why Mourinho wanted Morata - he holds the ball up and would have suited our style more than Chelsea’s, while Lukaku would have been better there too. Cheers ‘Agent P’ and Raiola......

Put him in the bin this summer, cutting losses if necessary; the margins at the top of the league are too fine for passengers now, and Jose can’t carry a carthorse on the off chance he suddenly becomes good enough.

lsd

The Oracle
He’s woeful - the two goals he gave to City in the first derby pretty much killed the title race too.

I’d go all-in for Icardi, but if he’s not attainable oeven Lewandowski or Cavani should be pursued this summer; ageing but of infinitely better pedigree and would solve this problem for a few seasons until a better option comes onto the market.

You can see why Mourinho wanted Morata - he holds the ball up and would have suited our style more than Chelsea’s, while Lukaku would have been better there too. Cheers ‘Agent P’ and Raiola......

Put him in the bin this summer, cutting losses if necessary; the margins at the top of the league are too fine for passengers now, and Jose can’t carry a carthorse on the off chance he suddenly becomes good enough.

I honestly feel like im a mental institution recenty going by the posts in here

flappyjay

Not true at all. There is a reason why conte spent all of January trying to sign any big lump with some decent hold up play and it's because Morata is horrible at it. I think conte saw it in pre season too because not long after he signed Morata he was after llorente.

I think with Lukaku we are in the same situation as Bayern when they had Mandzukic and Gomez. They were reliant but not brilliant.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Hope people can finally realize and shut up now, not that Lukaku didn’t prove himself over the course of the year or anything. Just for that small portion of people that keep yapping their mouths off.

...look at the team’s attacking form the last couple games. Completely lost.

deafepl

I didn't realize how much Lukaku has impacted on the team, that team without Lukaku look like last season that struggling to score against lesser team, he is perhaps the reason why our attacking has improved more than last season and score more goal, he easily draws many defenders out of position to allow forwarder make a run.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Dear Lord, save me from madness :houllier::houllier:

maniwin

I didn't realize how much Lukaku has impacted on the team, that team without Lukaku look like last season that struggling to score against lesser team, he is perhaps the reason why our attacking has improved more than last season and score more goal, he easily draws many defenders out of position to allow forwarder make a run.
And he scores a lot against dross opposition as well, that's why it's always Lukaku.

TheReligion

Abusive

I presume you're wumming. No one can be that blinkered given Lukaku has broke his own goalscoring record this season. 50 appearances, 27 goals, 9 assists.

Nick.

He's more important to the team than anybody wanted to accept, and it's time we start admitting that now.

OldSchoolManc

He's more important to the team than anybody wanted to accept, and it's time we start admitting that now.
Completely. He is our focal point. There’s no one else in our team that can do what he does.
Pray to every god that he’s fit for the final.

Trizy

I've given Rom stick throughout the season until the past few months. Very intelligent player but if I could change one thing about him it'd be his first touch.

Anyway.. I'm expecting big things from Rom next season once we fix the Full back and RW position. Happy he's a United player.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
In a more attack orientated setup I reckon he’d be closer to 40 goals right now than 30.

He’s done so well to score as many as he has considering how negatively Mourinho has set the team up for the majority of the season.

He’s been feeding off scraps.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hope people can finally realize and shut up now, not that Lukaku didn’t prove himself over the course of the year or anything. Just for that small portion of people that keep yapping their mouths off.

...look at the team’s attacking form the last couple games. Completely lost.
Huh?

We've had dog shit performances with Lukaku in the team. I'm a big fan of his, but lets not pretend that these performances are down him missing.

Andersons Dietician

In a more attack orientated setup I reckon he’d be closer to 40 goals right now than 30.

He’s done so well to score as many as he has considering how negatively Mourinho has set the team up for the majority of the season.

He’s been feeding off scraps.
Kinda agree, I honestly thought he’d get more goals but then I also thought we’d play to his strengths and give him the opportunity to do so. It’s like buying a drill and using it to hammer nails in.

Overall I think Lukaku has done well this season but I am a little disappointed as it sort of felt like a backward step from his previous season.

Lukakusfirsttouch

I don’t understand why there is so much praise for Lukaku on here. I seriously don’t think he’s good enough at all. I don’t like the thought of watching him as the focal point of our attack for the next couple of years...

Gbenger

You won't get your last like to get promoted with posts like these if you asked me.
Not every of my post is a single smiley.

Funny enough, I have received 10 likes in total. One of them got deleted due to things beyond my control.

By the way, I have stopped bothering about getting promoted. There’s an agenda against me; what I post or do matters not.

Worse posters get promoted for doing far less. The system is a joke.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope he's back for the final.
I can't knock Lukaku really, he's just a guaranteed goal getter. We could do with one more like him in the summer that will score more often than not.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Kinda agree, I honestly thought he’d get more goals but then I also thought we’d play to his strengths and give him the opportunity to do so. It’s like buying a drill and using it to hammer nails in.

Overall I think Lukaku has done well this season but I am a little disappointed as it sort of felt like a backward step from his previous season.
Agreed. He’s scored less PL goals this season than he did in his last season for Everton, so that is majorly disappointing.

I’d be more critical of him if he was missing multiple chances a game, but the reality is that we just don’t create many opportunities for our strikers. They have to be clinical in this setup, and Lukaku is not an elite level striker unfortunately.

Last edited:

James Peril

Hope he's back for the final.
I can't knock Lukaku really, he's just a guaranteed goal getter. We could do with one more like him in the summer that will score more often than not.
Except he really isn't. Scored a goal every 179th minute in the Premier League for us this season, which is just slightly better than the infamously bad Morata (based on the reputation he has on here). Say what you want about Lukaku and how crap we are, how little service we are giving him and so on and so forth, make all kind of excuses - but 16 goals in the league just can't be swept under the carpet. We are 2nd in the league, we are not some average team in the middle of the table. We have scored two less goals than the "magnificent" Spurs - yet Kane has 27 goals. 30 is the new 20. Lukaku started great with 7 goals in his first 7 games, since then it's 9 goals in roughly 25 full games. Since day 1 he hasn't scored more than one goal in a single game.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I don’t understand why there is so much praise for Lukaku on here. I seriously don’t think he’s good enough at all. I don’t like the thought of watching him as the focal point of our attack for the next couple of years...
that name...

anyways I agree partly, Lukaku was only reasonable option that summer for a no9. He's not a player who will win you the game on his own, he needs support if our midfield and other attacking players click - and after Mourinho when we get finally some proper manager who knows how to make his attacking players play well we will see lukaku score a lot of goals

however I hope we won't get too relied just on him, we should be thinking of bringing another more technical striker and rotate/rest/drop Lukaku when he's not playing well..

I am more positive about Lukaku but since it is a reply for a negative comment I will add one more thing. What bothers me a lot about Lukaku is his pressing, he's quick but his first few meters and turn is poor, he rarely gets the ball, cant change direction quickly enough to be a threat for defenders without the ball and we should be starting the attack pressing from the first player which he is, no matter what system we play, we need to press at some point..

Status
Not open for further replies.