6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

He's been fairly average for what you'd expect from a top tier striker. However because our attack is dross, he's been head and shoulders above everyone else so he'll get lots of praise. Not that it isn't deserved, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more.

AgentP

Since day 1 he hasn't scored more than one goal in a single game.
But who's fault is that? Because even at Everton and West Brom, he had many games where he scored more than one. He scores plenty for Belgium too. The number of clear chances that Lukaku has missed has not really been that high. I think it's a combination of him adapting to a new team and poor service that has caused this. I expect him to do way better next year.

Dundrummer

Except he really isn't. Scored a goal every 179th minute in the Premier League for us this season, which is just slightly better than the infamously bad Morata (based on the reputation he has on here). Say what you want about Lukaku and how crap we are, how little service we are giving him and so on and so forth, make all kind of excuses - but 16 goals in the league just can't be swept under the carpet.
I like Lukaku, and I liked the player I'm about to compare him to and disagreed with his sale, so I'm not sure I should post this with how it'll likely be perceived, but that mins per goal reminded me of something I noticed recently... So, here's Romelu Lukaku vs Danny Welbeck in the league for Man United (when playing as a CF):

Romelu Lukaku: 33 (1) - 16 (A goal every 179 minutes)
Danny Welbeck: 30 (14) - 16 (A goal every 173 minutes)

It'd be fair to say you expect a bit more for 75 million quid.

doriandun

But who's fault is that? Because even at Everton and West Brom, he had many games where he scored more than one. He scores plenty for Belgium too. The number of clear chances that Lukaku has missed has not really been that high. I think it's a combination of him adapting to a new team and poor service that has caused this. I expect him to do way better next year.
The reason rom hasn't scored more goals is primarily because of pogba.
Pogba spends to much time showboating,instead of playing the simple pass to keep the ball moving, alot of people say it's similar to stevie me... but the big difference is that steven gerrad, buzz came from creating assist and scoring goals

Even last night against west ham,pogba got owned by kouyate, mourinho has tried him in a two and a three and nothing has changed.

Unfornately it is effecting the team, and some big decisons have to be made in the summer, otherwise next season will be no different, because it seems mourinho doesn't really trust pogba, and probably smalling, and to cover up the teams short comings, he's restricted the full backs. unless mourinho brings in a someone like seri, and play sanchez as the middle of a 3 in a 4231, and pogba on the left and posssibly perrrira on the right, alternating with linguard

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ended as the 6th highest league scorer.
  1. Salah - 32 goals - 2922 minutes
  2. Kane - 30 goals - 3083 minutes
  3. Aguero - 21 goals - 1969 minutes
  4. Vardy - 20 goals - 3258 minutes
  5. Sterling - 18 goals - 2593 minutes
  6. Lukaku - 16 goals - 2869 minutes
  7. Firmino - 15 goals - 2778 minutes
  8. Lacazette - 14 goals - 2212 minutes
  9. Jesus - 13 goals - 1673 minutes
  10. Mahrez/Hazard/Murray/Son - 12 goals
Fair to say A LOT more is expected of him. Aubameyang managed to score 10 goals in just 12 appearances (1058 minutes). For the 75m that we paid for him, for a striker at Manchester United, we need him to be much closer to the top scorers. Saying he should have around 10 goals more for it to be a good season in the league isn't even being harsh. The way we're set up, the bulk of the chances are going to fall to him, even if we aren't free flowing. So hopefully next season we see a huge improvement from him, because overall, it hasn't been good enough this season in the league.

Rasfene

Lukaku scored a lot of match winning goals, equalisers or basically crucial goals. Lukaku also scored goals in other cup competitors.

To be fair, Morata isn't even on the list.

haram

He probably isn't going to be as good as Kane or Aguero. However, still expect at least 20 goals in the league next year. With a stronger team he will get it done. He offers way more than the likes of Vardy, Lacazette and Jesus in general. Good season from Rom.

maniwin

Ended as the 6th highest league scorer.
  1. Salah - 32 goals - 2922 minutes
  2. Kane - 30 goals - 3083 minutes
  3. Aguero - 21 goals - 1969 minutes
  4. Vardy - 20 goals - 3258 minutes
  5. Sterling - 18 goals - 2593 minutes
  6. Lukaku - 16 goals - 2869 minutes
  7. Firmino - 15 goals - 2778 minutes
  8. Lacazette - 14 goals - 2212 minutes
  9. Jesus - 13 goals - 1673 minutes
  10. Mahrez/Hazard/Murray/Son - 12 goals
Fair to say A LOT more is expected of him. Aubameyang managed to score 10 goals in just 12 appearances (1058 minutes). For the 75m that we paid for him, for a striker at Manchester United, we need him to be much closer to the top scorers. Saying he should have around 10 goals more for it to be a good season in the league isn't even being harsh. The way we're set up, the bulk of the chances are going to fall to him, even if we aren't free flowing. So hopefully next season we see a huge improvement from him, because overall, it hasn't been good enough this season in the league.
He is scoring for fun in Belgium NT with KDB and Hazard supplying him regularly, he didn't have that kind of player in our team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

From our big signings I think he is the one who delivered what had been expected. It was clear that he is not a technically gifted striker like Aguero or Kane or a dynamic Player like Lewandowski. He always Looks a bit clumsy but we knew that.
He scored an acceptable amount of Goals and always tried to link-up when we have been in attack. With better Support he will easily score 5-10 more the coming seasons.

SillyUsername

I like Lukaku, and I liked the player I'm about to compare him to and disagreed with his sale, so I'm not sure I should post this with how it'll likely be perceived, but that mins per goal reminded me of something I noticed recently... So, here's Romelu Lukaku vs Danny Welbeck in the league for Man United (when playing as a CF):

You just know stats aren't all that when they're used to present an argument for Welbeck being more efficient than Lukaku.

Rasfene

Welbeck has never scored more than 9 league goals for united in a single season so this is probably taken from his best form of runs from 2 seasons.

James Peril

He is scoring for fun in Belgium NT with KDB and Hazard supplying him regularly, he didn't have that kind of player in our team.
He has Pogba and Sanchez behind him, let’s not pretend Lukaku plays for bloody Swansea. He plays for a great Belgium-side that’s ironically only a great striker away from being a potential WC-winner. His goals? Well, his last 20 international goals have come against Saudi Arabia, Japan, Mexico, Cyprus, Greece, Gibraltar, Estonia, Bosnia, Ireland, Norway and Finland - you get the picture? Even I would score a hat-trick against Gibraltar.

Nick7

It would be very interesting to see where you got these stats, because they don't look correct. Also comparing minutes per goal between a starter, and a player who was mostly sub is really REALLY dumb.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
His run before and around the Christmas period was shocking - I was hugely critical of him at the time and genuinely thought he was gonna be a problem long term. To his credit he's knuckled down since and even though he wasn't scoring like he was in the first few weeks of the season his all round performances improved dramatically. He added some nuisance factor to his game and became a more effective outlet. On the whole he was one of the more impressive players over the season - He's also the only guy in the team who can cross a ball it would seem.

Dundrummer

It would be very interesting to see where you got these stats, because they don't look correct. Also comparing minutes per goal between a starter, and a player who was mostly sub is really REALLY dumb.
You could try clicking on the links that were in the post since I made it several days ago.

Welbeck has never scored more than 9 league goals for united in a single season so this is probably taken from his best form of runs from 2 seasons.
Well yeah, cause he never actually played all that much for us as a striker. But the point is, Lukaku has played a similar amount of minutes and started a similar amount of league games (at CF), and has pretty much the same record. It's not 75 million quid's worth of striker is it?

ti vu

You could try clicking on the links that were in the post since I made it several days ago.

Well yeah, cause he never actually played all that much for us as a striker. But the point is, Lukaku has played a similar amount of minutes and started a similar amount of league games (at CF), and has pretty much the same record. It's not 75 million quid's worth of striker is it?
:houllier:

Using stats across different seasons to judge goal scoring rate?

Ask yourself why for someone who love youth, academy players like SAF & Wenger not to use Welbeck more as CF? It answer the question you posed about Lukaku time at Chelsea (hint: under 21 players and chances in first team squad). Why not compare Lukaku's West Brom & Everton loan to Welbeck's Sunderland loan. Doesn't fit narrative/ cherry picking stats?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You're right. Drogba, Costa, Mandzukic, Dzeko were all not top strikers because they have an ordinary goals to minutes ratio.

Hernandez is also one of the best strikers in the history of the game.

Dundrummer

I don't see why comparing stats across different seasons is some kind of disqualifier? Or how I've 'cherry picked' stats in any way. Literally all I've done is pulled up two Manchester United CF's records in the PL. We can try other comparisons using the exact same parameters if you want to see what the actual point is here:

Van Persie: 76 (5) - 46 (A goal every 143 minutes)
Ibrahimovic: 28 (4) - 17 (A goal every 149 minutes)
Chicharito: 47 (35) - 27 (A goal every 156 minutes)
Lukaku: 33 (1) - 16 (A goal every 179 minutes)

It's only one season, admittedly, which is why I'm not too panicked about Lukaku, but there's no pretending 16 goals is a good return when he's started nearly every game in the league.

You're right. Drogba, Costa, Mandzukic, Dzeko were all not top strikers because they have an ordinary goals to minutes ratio.
Actually most of those players have pretty damn good goals to minutes ratios, which is why they were considered top strikers. Mandzukic would be the obvious exception, but we didn't pay 75 million for a Mario Mandzukic, did we?

ti vu

I don't see why comparing stats across different seasons is some kind of disqualifier? Or how I've 'cherry picked' stats in any way. Literally all I've done is pulled up two Manchester United CF's records in the PL. We can try other comparisons using the exact same parameters if you want to see what the actual point is here:

Van Persie: 76 (5) - 46 (A goal every 143 minutes)
Ibrahimovic: 28 (4) - 17 (A goal every 149 minutes)
Chicharito: 47 (35) - 27 (A goal every 156 minutes)
Lukaku: 33 (1) - 16 (A goal every 179 minutes)

It's only one season, admittedly, which is why I'm not too panicked about Lukaku, but there's no pretending 16 goals is a good return when he's started nearly every game in the league.

Actually most of those players have pretty damn good goals to minutes ratios, which is why they were considered top strikers. Mandzukic would be the obvious exception, but we didn't pay 75 million for a Mario Mandzukic, did we?
Why? Because you compare 1 season of Lukaku across others' many seasons. Lukaku ain't the best when it comes to one season, but not necessarily mean he wouldn't improve. Goals across different season may act as saving grace for many as they can have shite season but next season having everything rosy for them.

Goal per minutes doesn't take service quality into equation. Morata has great stats for Madrid. Even this season as his goal scoring stats looks decent. In reality he's been terrible that Girourd looks like a better forward. Football is not about pure stats.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
For comparison, the best strikers in the league.

Kane 153(12208 minutes) - 108(A goal every 113 minutes)
Aguero 206(15366 minutes) - 143(A goal every 107 minutes)

And I agree football is not purely about blind stats. Goals have a direct correlation to many things, chances created, shots on target, etc. Kane had the most shots per game in the league last season with 5, in comparison Lukaku had just 2.5 and he scored roughly half of Kane's total.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

"He has improved a lot," Mertens told RTBF. "[But] people are laughing at his control but he's a boy who after training takes 20 balls and continues to train. I respect him a lot for that."

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lukaku 17/18 : 150.1 per goal
Costa 14/15 : 146.7 per goal
Costa 16/17 : 158.6 per goal
Dzeko 11/12 : 126.1 per goal
Dzeko 13/14 : 124.6 per goal
Drogba 04/05: 167.3 per goal
Drogba 05/06: 174.0 per goal
Drogba 06/07: 148.3 per goal

It's complete nonsense that Drogba and Costa were considered top strikers due to 'pretty damn good goals to minutes ratios'. It was their physical presence and link-up with other forwards that made them top strikers.

It's almost as if you decided before actually doing any research that Lukaku's goal scoring wasn't good enough, and you just dig your heels due to stubbornness. Lukaku is a goal every other game striker, which can move to a better ratio if the team is tailored towards him. That is typical of physical strikers like him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Worrying that he's trying to improve an area of weakness?

This guy will be a top top striker in a couple of seasons.
Worrying that he's trying and it's still so poor at times.

We'll see but we certainly hope so.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He has Pogba and Sanchez behind him, let’s not pretend Lukaku plays for bloody Swansea. He plays for a great Belgium-side that’s ironically only a great striker away from being a potential WC-winner. His goals? Well, his last 20 international goals have come against Saudi Arabia, Japan, Mexico, Cyprus, Greece, Gibraltar, Estonia, Bosnia, Ireland, Norway and Finland - you get the picture? Even I would score a hat-trick against Gibraltar.
Lukaku is basically a successful con artist

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Worrying that he's trying to improve an area of weakness?

This guy will be a top top striker in a couple of seasons.
I agree.
And people forget that he is only 24.
For comparison, Martial at 22, is hailed as a great prospect, while Lukaku, at 24, is someone who we absolutely rely upon to be our striker.

Zoo

Here is an example of how poor the media can be.

Dundrummer

Lukaku 17/18 : 150.1 per goal

It's complete nonsense that Drogba and Costa were considered top strikers due to 'pretty damn good goals to minutes ratios'. It was their physical presence and link-up with other forwards that made them top strikers.
I'm talking exclusively about the Premier League; I'm not concerning myself with Lukaku's ability to score goals against Yeovil and Derby. A league goal every 180 minutes is indisputably mediocre for a club of our stature, especially when you're one of the most expensive players of all time, hence the original comparison to a striker who was widely considered a terrible finisher but managed a better return for the club in near enough the exact same amount of minutes on the pitch. I'm not even saying he's never going to be good enough, I'm just saying he hasn't been so far, and I'm bemused that this is a contentious opinion. And Drogba and Costa were obviously considered top strikers because they were good-to-great goalscorers in addition to their other qualities. But hey, this is just arguing in circles, if you think Lukaku has so far been a sufficiently good goalscorer then that's your right.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With the variances in his performances this season... him being half fit for the final is not ideal. Here's hoping if he does play it's only because hes fully fit. Lukaku is definitely not one of those who can put in a good performance when he isnt ready to play imo.

stu_1992

Hope he's fit for tomorrow. Honestly believe he could be the difference between us winning or not. Not because I think no one else is capable of scoring, but I think our team is built around a player like him up front so we're less effective without.

James Peril

Hope he's fit for tomorrow. Honestly believe he could be the difference between us winning or not. Not because I think no one else is capable of scoring, but I think our team is built around a player like him up front so we're less effective without.
I hope he plays tomorrow too, and you know I’m not his biggest fan. However, against Chelsea we will get in a few crosses and lots of challenges in the box... perfect for Lukaku. It will be like a battle between two relegation teams, only with high quality. Crosses and lots shots from outside the box. And who knows, it’s against the «worst» top team in the league, he might actually score!

Rasfene

I hope he plays tomorrow too, and you know I’m not his biggest fan. However, against Chelsea we will get in a few crosses and lots of challenges in the box... perfect for Lukaku. It will be like a battle between two relegation teams, only with high quality. Crosses and lots shots from outside the box. And who knows, it’s against the «worst» top team in the league, he might actually score!
He's playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.