Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
? Guy us desperate to leave and has been for ages now. There were plenty of reports of us not willing to let him go (for obvious commercial reasons). It shouldn't be our concern which club he would go to, we should have cancelled the contract by mutual consent and moved on.
At which point did Ronaldo agree to forfeit his current wage?

DavelinaJolie

I imagine Goldbridge's take will be something along the lines of: He refused to come on because he didn't want to score more goals, deliver a truly monumental win and strengthen the Glazer grip on Utd.

CM

Well done ten Hag. Ronaldo can get to feck

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really unneeded distraction but I feel like it's not an impactful story because we've been planning without him anyway. He's not an important squad member, but the story is still annoying. Hopefully everyone gets fully behind Ten Hag, I'm sure they will.

Was always going to end like this. Didn't have to, but Ronaldo is so self obsessed. He could've aged gracefully, been a mentor for younger players, and enhanced his legacy. Instead, he's going out like a cnut. Deserves a cnuts ending. Don't let him train with the group, let him go to the world Cup with 0 fitness, and then see how nobody in a big league is interested in picking him up. His legacy among true United fans is dead.

Jev

? Guy us desperate to leave and has been for ages now. There were plenty of reports of us not willing to let him go (for obvious commercial reasons). It shouldn't be our concern which club he would go to, we should have cancelled the contract by mutual consent and moved on.
Absolutely nothing to suggest Ronaldo was willing to give up his contract. He wanted the same or a similar salary elsewhere, that's why no club befitting his idea of himself wanted to pay for him.

dave2528

Rio's been embarassing himself recently with his support of Cristiano irrespective of his actions.
Patty Evra was giving him the benefit of the doubt as well, which is understandable what with all they accomplished in the same squad. That said, surely they have to change their tune now? Refusing a manager's orders, downing tools, and walking straight out the gate is unacceptable regardless of who the player is or what they've previously accomplished. It also flies in the face of all this nonsense about how professional Ronaldo is.

He's a narcissistic bellend.

Stadjer

I'd be very surprised and disappointed to see him play for us again.

Wonder if Rio will change his tune now that it's come to light that Ronaldo refused to be subbed-in before he walked out on the team?
Rio is a Ronaldo fan so no he wont. Ronaldo cant do wrong in his eyes. If Manchester United loses against Chelsea or wont score goals he will likely claim that having Ronaldo would have changed the result since Ronaldo will score you goals...

redcucumber

Mate, you've got it all wrong. Ronaldo couldn't find a club because no club was willing to entertain his wage demands (apart from a team in Saudi Arabia). Why would he agree to tearing up his contract? Money is clearly a factor in his decision-making process.

Canuckred64

Refusing to come on as a sub and leaving the stadium before the game ended could very well be the end of his tenure here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On the plus side, ETH has handled the situation well. If anything I would think his willingness to bench and now drop Ronaldo has strengthened his authority.

Ronaldo can get fecked.

RedDevil@84

If he refused to come on as a sub, then suspend him for more games and fine him as well.

Member 101269

best united performance, it's a circus, and i'm supportive of ronnie.

Sadly, it's over for me. put him on gardening leave

PieCrust

I don't even see this as much of a distraction at all. ETH has nipped it quickly and I fully expect Ronaldo to be off in January. The distraction would have been to let him to continue to be toxic in the locker room within the squad. Now ETH doesn't even have to address it any longer, although of course he'll be asked incessantly.

He isn't a first XI contributor anymore. It's not a big loss at all to have him out of the squad. Hell, Fred had some better moments playing CF yesterday than Ronaldo.

BerryBerryShrew

What's his end goal here?
  • If he didn't want to come on to preserve his goal to appearance ratio or something, then he could just have feigned an injury in his warm up.
  • If he wanted to make it clear that he wants out...no shit Cristiano, but nobody wanted to sign you when they thought you were a decent pro, let alone now.
He has really fecked himself over here. He won't get games before the world Cup and he won't get an opportunity to put himself in the shop window for other clubs should he wish to leave in January. And the weirdest thing about this is that he was actually getting games (despite his appalling performances)! If Donny had done this, it would be a bit more understandable but Ronaldo was getting treated a lot better by EtH than he deserved and he's thrown it back in his face. He may have even started against Chelsea had he not pulled this shit. Idiot.

dove

No he's not. If he was desperate to leave he'd have taken a pay cut and moved to a lower league. Literally all offers his agent was shopping him around for included us paying part of his salary. I'm pissed that people refuse to acknowledge this fact. There are no commercial reasons for keeping him. Its only that we're not willing to subsidize him to play for someone else.
:houllier: This is literally one of the main reasons we even resigned him, or do you believe we did that for playing reasons?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Anyone who thinks Southgate isnt a shit manager for England is definitely challenged in understanding the game
I’m sorry, but Southgate managed to get us to a semi final and final in the past 2 tournaments and is factually our most successful manager since Alf Ramsey. So considering this fact the only poster looking challenged is you.
Not saying I’m a fan of Southgate’s over cautious tactics. But to state that if you don’t agree he’s shit for England then you don’t understand the game is completely idiotic.

Chief123

At this point i genuinely hope he gets one last appearance at old trafford so we can boo him goodbye.

December_16

Gone were the days where older players at the club quietly retire when they knew age has caught up to them. I’m thinking Scholesy, Giggs, Ole, Gary Neville and the likes. Their legacy as legends of the club forever preserved.

kiristao

Really glad ETH has dropped him. For far too long the players had started to behave like they were bigger than the manager and indispensable. ETH is making sure he changes that.

manutddjw

I've seen quite a few posts suggesting the club were in the wrong not letting him go. It needs pointing out that all the big clubs had no interest and the Champions League clubs couldn't afford his wages. He expected us to pay for a large part if not all of his wages. It's not our responsibility to pay him astronomical wages so he can play for another club and get a couple goals in the Champions League against minnows to hold onto his record.

Telsim

Fair play to the club, they're doing the right thing backing the manager to handle it his way
This should make things clear to the rest of the squad. Bullshit will not be tolerated. I, for one, agree with this approach. For too long the inmates have run the asylum. It has to end.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
FFS. Was hoping they'd make up and he'd start.
:lol: Him and United is over, looking forward to his next journey in Chelsea. Tuchel is gone and your owner might just pull the trigger:)

Status
Not open for further replies.