Rooney

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Easy to take responsibility for a mistake when you win and are the reason.

Very encouraging bounceback from him in this one
Not so easy to take responsibility while the game's still going on though.

After that goal you could see he was desperate to create something and up his game.

I doubt many others would've done the same in his place.

Anduin

He's scoring goals this year, even though taking penalties definitely helps his tally. 13 league goals after exactly half of the season played is very good indeed. I expect him to get 20 in the league alone.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
In fairness, the boy was excellent today (shit backpass aside).

But he is still below par in terms of all round play. Some very lax passes still.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Seemed to turn round his entire game after the mistake. Possibly the turning point on his season that he needed. One thing is for sure we depend strongly on the lad

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought it was an ok game for him, some pieces of brilliance and some stupid things he often does.It's good to see him score and create despite playing badly

johnmufc

No where near the top bracket of strikers in my eyes. Been banging on for absolutely ages now.
What a fecking stupid thing to say.
Rooney would get into any team in the world. We're pretty fecking lucky to have him. Sure, he's not perfect and he hasn't been consistently brilliant this season, but he's our top scorer and best attacking player and when he wants to (as we saw again against Hull) he's unstoppable.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
As odd as it seems to completely ignore today's performance, which even despite basically winning us the game was still very poor for Rooney, as well as the massively improved scoring record, he really hasn't been in good form for over two months now.

Some will say the Pompey hat-trick game, others will say West Ham and today. But for me, Wayne has had two, maybe three stand out games this season..... Wigan away, Spurs away and Chelsea away. His first touch and confidence seem shot which in turn means he seems to be letting his brain rule his natural footballing ability.

On a plus note, of late he seems to have found a bit more explosiveness pacewise. Wayne has always been a quick lad but he seems to have found an extra half a yard again which is exactly what he has been lacking for a good while. Confident that given we embark on a 10-15 game unbeaten run, we will start to see the old Wayne.

Alex

As odd as it seems to completely ignore today's performance, which even despite basically winning us the game was still very poor for Rooney, as well as the massively improved scoring record, he really hasn't been in good form for over two months now.

Some will say the Pompey hat-trick game, others will say West Ham and today. But for me, Wayne has had two, maybe three stand out games this season..... Wigan away, Spurs away and Chelsea away. His first touch and confidence seem shot which in turn means he seems to be letting his brain rule his natural footballing ability.

On a plus note, of late he seems to have found a bit more explosiveness pacewise. Wayne has always been a quick lad but he seems to have found an extra half a yard again which is exactly what he has been lacking for a good while. Confident that given we embark on a 10-15 game unbeaten run, we will start to see the old Wayne.
I thought he was good but he scuffed a great oppurtunity to level it right after Terry scored

Jalut

Wayne Rooney.. you are such a lucky lucky boy...
Keep it that way ;)

... and stick to your role FFS :mad:

**There goes my 2009 posting quota

MUFC_Fatso

Yep I was wrong, I got just slightly ahead of myself. 2 matches out, damn!
Erm, by your own stats, didn't they start more matches together last season?

One a different note
Isn't one season enough to develop an understanding with your strike partner? Isn't one season enough for a 30Mil striker to gel in with squad?

Look at Vidic and Evra, one proper pre-season and they haven't looked back since then. Berbatov still looks out of sort, and I think we are soon going to run out of excuses defending him

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Seemed to turn round his entire game after the mistake. Possibly the turning point on his season that he needed. One thing is for sure we depend strongly on the lad
It could well be a turning point in form. That's the first time this season that I can really remember him getting rave reviews in the press. As I have said consistently, he's been amongst the goals, but he's rarely taken the entire game by the scruff of the neck. That was the stuff of Ronaldo yesterday. We all know he's capable and hopefully he can keep that performance level up. Minus the back pass bit.

What a fecking stupid thing to say.
Rooney would get into any team in the world. We're pretty fecking lucky to have him. Sure, he's not perfect and he hasn't been consistently brilliant this season, but he's our top scorer and best attacking player and when he wants to (as we saw again against Hull) he's unstoppable.
I said he's not near the top bracket of strikers (I'd still take a Drogba, Torres, Villa, Ronaldo, Messi etc at this stage). He will be if he maintains a high level of consistency. He needs to bring all the elements of his game together more frequently, as he did yesterday.

His mistake, as Flawless said, could well be a bit of a turning point for him. It was the first time in ages that he grabbed a game by the bollocks and won it through the sheer force of being Rooney.

:devil: More of the same please.

Kelvin

Cristiano Ronaldo Dreaming Of Manchester United's Wayne Rooney At Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo has nominated former team-mate Wayne Rooney for a signature Real Madrid mega-money signing in the forthcoming summer transfer window.

'CR9' is backing any potential advances from Madrid president Florentino Perez for his former partner in crime, who according to the Portuguese, has the necessary attributes to succeed in the Spanish capital, and La Liga.

"He can be a spectacle and sensation at Real Madrid and has all of the qualities to succeed in La Liga," he said, as quoted by The Mirror.

But the England talisman, who has previously stated he has no desire to play outside of the Premier League, is fiercely loyal to Manchester United, where he is reportedly set to sign a bumper deal in the coming months.

Which means los Blancos' chances of luring the Everton youth product from Old Trafford in the foreseeable future are minuscule to say the least.

The £80 million expensive Portuguese star has previously stuck his former Red Devil colleague's hand up for a move to the Bernabeu.

Cristiano Ronaldo Dreaming Of Manchester United's Wayne Rooney At Real Madrid - Goal.com

hands off...what up with all our ex-players trying to influence our players to join those madrid cnuts.....:annoyed:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Cristiano Ronaldo Dreaming Of Manchester United's Wayne Rooney At Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo has nominated former team-mate Wayne Rooney for a signature Real Madrid mega-money signing in the forthcoming summer transfer window.

'CR9' is backing any potential advances from Madrid president Florentino Perez for his former partner in crime, who according to the Portuguese, has the necessary attributes to succeed in the Spanish capital, and La Liga.

"He can be a spectacle and sensation at Real Madrid and has all of the qualities to succeed in La Liga," he said, as quoted by The Mirror.

But the England talisman, who has previously stated he has no desire to play outside of the Premier League, is fiercely loyal to Manchester United, where he is reportedly set to sign a bumper deal in the coming months.

Which means los Blancos' chances of luring the Everton youth product from Old Trafford in the foreseeable future are minuscule to say the least.

The £80 million expensive Portuguese star has previously stuck his former Red Devil colleague's hand up for a move to the Bernabeu.

Cristiano Ronaldo Dreaming Of Manchester United's Wayne Rooney At Real Madrid - Goal.com

hands off...what up with all our ex-players trying to influence our players to join those madrid cnuts.....:annoyed:
Ey Cristiano?

feck off.

CptMarvel

Rooney did well today. Pity he had to make the game more intriguing than it need have been.

Sorry, but I've been asking that he stops fecking around in our half for ages. It was shit from Rooney in the build up to their goal.
Ferguson needs to learn from Capello and start giving Rooney a more structured role in the side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ferguson needs to learn from Capello and start giving Rooney a more structured role in the side.
Thats the thing, Capello has built a structure where Rooney is given a free role, Go out there son and work your magic.

Fergie does give Rooney a structured role, it's either left wing with orders to track back or centre-forward drogba style working like a dog with little service due to our average midfield.

It's the major reason why he looks magical for England, prepared to pull out fancy moves and just be natural wheras for us it looks very forced and he's trying too hard, generally very uncomfortable.

When he first joined us he was afforded freedom, this year we are seeing a return to this but due to us not having the right players/form he's having to play as a centre-forward with no licence to thrill.

CptMarvel

Thats the thing, Capello has built a structure where Rooney is given a free role, Go out there son and work your magic.

Fergie does give Rooney a structured role, it's either left wing with orders to track back or centre-forward drogba style working like a dog with little service due to our average midfield.

It's the major reason why he looks magical for England, prepared to pull out fancy moves and just be natural wheras for us it looks very forced and he's trying too hard, generally very uncomfortable.

When he first joined us he was afforded freedom, this year we are seeing a return to this but due to us not having the right players/form he's having to play as a centre-forward with no licence to thrill.
Not true, for us he plays all over the park chasing down the ball wherever it may be, for England he plays off Heskey.

Brwned

Not true, for us he plays all over the park chasing down the ball wherever it may be, for England he plays off Heskey.
Chasing the ball wherever it may be, roaming about the pitch regardless of whether England have the ball or not.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Exactly he spends most of his time chasing the ball, employed like a terrier up front, closing people down.. and employed on the left.

For England he spends his time in the hole and has freedom to drift to the left, drift to the right.. get involved with build up play. He's allowed to stamp his authority on a game, conduct it.

With us he isn't, he's having to expend alot of energy in order to have an impact and it's having an effect on his general game, touch passing, he's trying too hard.. it's not natural.

The structure in this United team isn't right to get the best out of Wayne, the fact he's still scoring by the bucket load is a credit to him..but his general play is suffering.

Brwned

Trying too hard and not natural are too words that should never be used in a sentence to describe Wayne Rooney.

No matter where he plays on the pitch he's going to expend more energy than most of his team-mates.

CptMarvel

Exactly he spends most of his time chasing the ball, employed like a terrier up front, closing people down.. and employed on the left.

For England he spends his time in the hole and has freedom to drift to the left, drift to the right.. get involved with build up play. He's allowed to stamp his authority on a game, conduct it.

With us he isn't, he's having to expend alot of energy in order to have an impact and it's having an effect on his general game, touch passing, he's trying too hard.. it's not natural.

The structure in this United team isn't right to get the best out of Wayne, the fact he's still scoring by the bucket load is a credit to him..but his general play is suffering.
The way I see it is that for us he plays the length of the pitch for England he plays the width.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Trying too hard and not natural are too words that should never be used in a sentence to describe Wayne Rooney.

No matter where he plays on the pitch he's going to expend more energy than most of his team-mates.
He is in his element centrally and when he can influence proceedings with the ball, he should be given the freedom to choose when he wants to drift out wide etc.

When he's playing as a support striker/10, he occasionally comes back into midfield and tackles when he wants to get in the thick of the action.

As a number 9 you have to constantly close down, you have very little space, theres not much space to be subtle in your play.. he has too much talent to waste as a target man/Battering ram which he isn't all that great at anyway.

There is a way of expending energy, I don't believe it's being channelled properly by United but what I will say is that despite his touch/passing being awry he does seem in better shape physically in terms of dynamism than I have seen in quite a while.

The way Gerrard is used by Liverpool is how I envisage Rooney should be used by us.

AttackingFlair

Mirror said:
Reformed Wayne Rooney is the best player in the Premier League, says Martinez

Published 22:30 29/12/09 By Alan Nixon

Wayne-Rooney-Manchester-United-cropped

Wayne Rooney is the best player in the Premier League - because the Manchester United star has stopped seeing red.

Rooney was hailed as the best of the current bunch by Wigan chief Roberto Martinez who reckons his anger management has worked wonders for Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Martinez loves Rooney's raw aggression but thinks he has improved because he now knows the best way to hurt opponents is to beat them with his skills and not his boots or fists.

Rooney is now growing up, in Martinez's eyes, and putting his fiery emotions to good use - with the days of the red mist long behind him.

The Wigan boss said: "Wayne is having his best season so far because of the way he affects the game. He controls what is going to happen - he is maturing. It is his time now.

"He is controlling his own desire and his character. He has got the perfect attitude for a footballer. If you add on all of his qualities he is probably the most special player in the Premier League.

"He has controlled that aggression, you could see in the Hull game that he was so frustrated but he just put it right and turned it round. He has found the focus to control his anger.

"You don't want to lose that fire because it is the difference between the special players and the others. But you can see the maturity in his anger now. It has been the key ingredient this season."

Martinez will also try to cope with Antonio Valencia, who is due to face his old club and is fulfilling his potential in the Wigan boss's mind. He said: "Antonio is a world-class player and is finally getting to the levels that are required.

"You can see he is now enjoying his football and will be a huge player for them. Many foreign players, especially those from South America, take time to adapt.

"Sometimes you need to make mistakes on the pitch to find out about yourself and make the right decision next time."

Martinez also claims there is no friction between him and Sir Alex Ferguson after rogue remarks about the United boss having a 'gang' of managers caused some embarrassment.

He said: "We had a good relationship before and we have a good relationship now. There is good banter among all of the managers, it's just not an issue."
Best in the league according to the Wigan manager. Conveniently said this before our game against them.

ALX8725

reyalP maeT htuoY
Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,

He is in his element centrally and when he can influence proceedings with the ball, he should be given the freedom to choose when he wants to drift out wide etc.

When he's playing as a support striker/10, he occasionally comes back into midfield and tackles when he wants to get in the thick of the action.

As a number 9 you have to constantly close down, you have very little space, theres not much space to be subtle in your play.. he has too much talent to waste as a target man/Battering ram which he isn't all that great at anyway.

There is a way of expending energy, I don't believe it's being channelled properly by United but what I will say is that despite his touch/passing being awry he does seem in better shape physically in terms of dynamism than I have seen in quite a while.

The way Gerrard is used by Liverpool is how I envisage Rooney should be used by us.
everyone keeps bringing up the point that Rooney isn't playing as a support striker when he should etc etc, and we try to disect too much into and these discussions have literally been done to death

but the real issue is: why does SAF play Rooney the way he does? Isn't the team supposed to be build around the best player in the squad? Surely SAF must have a very good reason for not playing Rooney in the role that would allow him to flourish, especially if he's as good as many posters make him out to be in this thread

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Sport Whine - Videos - Wayne Rooney - All goals and assists for England | Sport Whine

Shows the assists and Goals for England this season. Credit for the video goes to AttackingFlair

He really has put in World Class performances for England this past year and our Wayne is really scoring a vast amount of goals these days. Really happy for him and for England in the Qualifying campaign not only his goals but his all round play has been superb.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sport Whine - Videos - Wayne Rooney - All goals and assists for England | Sport Whine

Shows the assists and Goals for England this season. Credit for the video goes to AttackingFlair

He really has put in World Class performances for England this past year and our Wayne is really scoring a vast amount of goals these days. Really happy for him and for England in the Qualifying campaign not only his goals but his all round play has been superb.
Class vid. Many moments of magic.. see he does have it, just about coaxing it out of him for United.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You have to remember the quality of opposition in those qualifiers contrasted with the competitive nature of Premiership football and the Champions League, it's a real spanner in the test study.
Messi and Ronaldo have struggled in international competition..messi more so, many big stars which find Club competition easy get found out at International level (Gerrard/Lampard?or struggle to adapt.

People like Darren Bent/Defoe who bang in goals at league level, look distinctly average at international level.. so I wouldn't belittle Rooney's achievements.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Messi and Ronaldo have struggled in international competition..messi more so, many big stars which find Club competition easy get found out at International level (Gerrard/Lampard?or struggle to adapt.

People like Darren Bent/Defoe who bang in goals at league level, look distinctly average at international level.. so I wouldn't belittle Rooney's achievements.
Which is very true, hmm....you do know Crouch's record fo England is superb right?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
22 goals in the League this year. The highest tally of any striker. Well in Wayne.

More important, the performance level seems to have picked up.

AttackingFlair

14 goals in the premiership, 15 in all comps. Hasn't scored in Europe yet though. I'd love him get run outs in the Cup games to help boost his goal tally but I doubt it'll happen. Seems to be pre-dominantly scoring in the prem.

In 06/07 he had 14 in the league (like he does now) but those in all comps help made his tally to 23. Incidentally, the same as Ronaldo that season.