Rugby 2019 Discussion

RedDevilRoshi

If Scotland hold on here, this is got to be one of the greatest underdog comebacks in rugby union history

We were 31-7 down at HT. Absolutely decimated in that 1st half!

Oldyella

What a game! Fair play to Scotland, looked dead and buried and really turned it around with some good stuff. England need to work on their tackling..

RedDevilRoshi

Gutted we weren’t able to hold on but if you said to me before the game that Scotland would be 31-7 down at HT and produced a stunning come back to lead with only a few seconds remaining for England to just score a try in the last second to draw the game, I would have shaken your hand and said you are deluded!

RedDevilRoshi

Had everything! Would never had heard the end of it if you had come back from that to win! :lol:

Mate, I turned off when you guys scored two tries inside the opening 10 mins :lol:

Thought it was going to be a repeat of the 2017 tie at Twickenham

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
That was an immense half from Scotland. YES.

Well done. Genuinely unlucky to draw at Twickenham

GeorgieBoy

Mate, I turned off when you guys scored two tries inside the opening 10 mins :lol:

Thought it was going to be a repeat of the 2017 tie at Twickenham
Have a WhatsApp group with some Scottish mates. I was insufferable at half time safe to say I turned off notifications at the 75 minute mark. :wenger:

redspoony

A very happy Welshman here. After being 16 down in Paris on the opening night of the tournament I feared we could be in for disappointment but holy feck, what a unit Wales are. The defence have been immense and we've taken our chances when we've needed to. My biggest bugbear has been Gareth Anscombe. Until yesterday, I just didn't see it with him but against Ireland he was magnificent. The chip through for the first try yesterday was Zidanesque.

There's more gears to our game. If we can keep the big players like Alun Wyn, Jonathan Davies etc fit, I can see us doing well in the world cup.

And then we'll play New Zealand.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A very happy Welshman here. After being 16 down in Paris on the opening night of the tournament I feared we could be in for disappointment but holy feck, what a unit Wales are. The defence have been immense and we've taken our chances when we've needed to. My biggest bugbear has been Gareth Anscombe. Until yesterday, I just didn't see it with him but against Ireland he was magnificent. The chip through for the first try yesterday was Zidanesque.

There's more gears to our game. If we can keep the big players like Alun Wyn, Jonathan Davies etc fit, I can see us doing well in the world cup.

And then we'll play New Zealand.
Likewise. I’ve always been Anscombe’s biggest critic. Did amazingly well yesterday. Didn’t even realise that he has a 100% winning record when starting for Wales.
Yesterday was definitely his best game in a Welsh shirt.

Hopefully our depth will get better and better before the World Cup. Falateau, Steff Evans, Halfpenny...and I bloody hope Webb somehow gets back into the squad. If he moves to a Welsh region before the World Cup we might be on to something.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The really important question to ask now is...

Is it worse to have dreams dashed this early and know that we'll be going out in a WC quarter final again, or to have done well in this 6N and be gutted when we go out in a WC quarter final :D
There's still time for your lot to get things right. Sure, one way or another you've got a tough quarter final SA and NZ aren't insurmountable if you're at your best.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Scotland's comeback wasn't the only remarkable turnaround from yesterday. At Ellis Park, the Rebels were leading 33-5 early in the 2nd half to then go on and lose 36-33 to the Lions. There's no excuse for that although some Rebels fans would be all too happy to point out the penalty count: 21 penalties awarded to the Lions, 1 penalty awarded to the Melbourne Rebels.

Last year the Waratahs blew a big lead in New Zealand and were on the wrong end of bad calls by an all NZ refereeing crew, the Rebels blew a big lead with an interesting penalty count in SA with an all SA refereeing crew. Maybe Rugby Australia should ask SANZAAR about a return to neutral referees.

cerdan689908

Likewise. I’ve always been Anscombe’s biggest critic. Did amazingly well yesterday. Didn’t even realise that he has a 100% winning record when starting for Wales.
Yesterday was definitely his best game in a Welsh shirt.

Hopefully our depth will get better and better before the World Cup. Falateau, Steff Evans, Halfpenny...and I bloody hope Webb somehow gets back into the squad. If he moves to a Welsh region before the World Cup we might be on to something.
Likewise..:)

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Well done Wales. Some run of wins and never dropped intensity in the game.

Ireland looked lost but both half backs out of form and injuries to key players didn't help continuity.

Looking forward to the champions cup games now. Also that England Scotland match was crazy!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Scotland's comeback wasn't the only remarkable turnaround from yesterday. At Ellis Park, the Rebels were leading 33-5 early in the 2nd half to then go on and lose 36-33 to the Lions. There's no excuse for that although some Rebels fans would be all too happy to point out the penalty count: 21 penalties awarded to the Lions, 1 penalty awarded to the Melbourne Rebels.

Last year the Waratahs blew a big lead in New Zealand and were on the wrong end of bad calls by an all NZ refereeing crew, the Rebels blew a big lead with an interesting penalty count in SA with an all SA refereeing crew. Maybe Rugby Australia should ask SANZAAR about a return to neutral referees.
You are the single reason why I avoid this thread, I haven't watched the super rugby games yet.:mad:

JPRouve

Scout
What do you guys think about Gatland managing France, would that be a good idea?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Dave Rennie is reportedly high on Rugby Australia's wish list to replace Michael Cheika after the World Cup as well.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That would be very interesting, but I think he'll get the NZ job
I think Ian Foster gets the NZ job if they win the World Cup, Scott Robertson will be the leading candidate if NZ don't win the World Cup.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In super rugby news, reports have emerged that the Japanese based Sunwolves will be axed from the competition to make way for a 14 team round robin competition.

JPRouve

Scout
I reckon Vern Cotter might be worth pursuing.
Agreed, particularly with Garbajosa linked with the MHRC job. I mentioned Gatland because France are supposed to not go with foreign managers but Gatland has been mentioned as a potential first, Schmidt could comeback to France too.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
In super rugby news, reports have emerged that the Japanese based Sunwolves will be axed from the competition to make way for a 14 team round robin competition.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...s-express-concerns-as-sunwolves-face-the-chop

Australian sides aren't happy.

Surely it's time they start a proper domestic tournament like NZ and SA. They were the biggest pushers behind his expanded tournament and it flopped..

14 team tournament ending in May is the right way to go imo.

freeurmind

weak willed
Super Rugby needs the Sunwolves and the Jaguares. Both have looked decent so far this season. Maybe the fan interest hasn't been there especially in Japan but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
For those interested in the Sunwolves being cut from super rugby below are some quotes from a pay-walled article in the Daily Telegraph about their axing from super rugby.

''There were 25 million reasons to cut the Sunwolves. That is the amount, $25 million, the SANZAAR nations would have had to pay to keep the Sunwolves afloat after the Japanese Rugby Football Union told them they could not fund the franchise. The JRFU is beholden to the billion-dollar companies who sponsor the domestic Top League teams, such as Panasonic, Toyota, Suntory and Honda, and their Super Rugby team became a secondary consideration.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sunwolves asked SANZAAR to fund their $25 million operational costs, which would have left them all broke.''

Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle:''The reality is as much as we see Japan being an incredibly important part of the future of rugby, when the JRFU withdrew their underwrite support for the Sunwolves and they couldn't find another to guarantee that underwrite, it left the SANZAAR partners in an exposed position financially.”

Meanwhile, in an interview on Macquarie Sports Radio, Drew Mitchell has become the 1 millionth Aussie rugby fan to call for South Africa to be cut from super rugby instead:

''From a product point of view, we need something that’s going to challenge the likes of the NRL, the AFL and at the moment the current format of the Super Rugby doesn’t do that. I don’t know too many people that would get up through the night and watch their teams live when they go to play in South Africa or in Argentina when it’s played at one or three in the morning.”