Ryan Mason's head injury | has had to retire

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No, but that's not the definition of a foul.
I didn't say it was. The severity of any injury also has no bearing on whether or not something was a foul.

Anyway. Good-ish news from Hull. "In for a few days" is a lot better than that Mirror report suggested. Cech was in hospital for 10 days and was back playing in 3 months.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's much less dangerous for the person applying the force with his head. Especially if hitting a player that's not expecting a challenge.

Not much of an argument imo. In the NFL you had players flying in head first to do the most damage to opponent. That's thankfully been banned now as of recently.
Seriously? You can't think of an obvious massive difference between an NFL player throwing his head at someone and a soccer player doing the same?

Anyway. Sounds like he's stable and on the mend. Good news.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Jesus that's awful. Knew it was bad given the length of time the medical staff took treating him. Hope he makes a full recovery.

::sonny::

His career as footballer is probably over

And this is incredible how life can change in 1 second

Irrational.

Wishing Mason a quick recovery.

Meanwhile, the sensationalist, speculating, click-bait, wanting-to-be-first-on-the-scene toilet paper also known as The Mirror and their band of equally twattish journalists can go feck themselves. Incredibly inconsiderate, disrespectful headline writing causing unnecessary distress to Mason's friends and family. Disgraceful behaviour.

montpelier

am i watching this properly? I don't see Cahill do a lot wrong, I might be looking at the wrong Hull player, is it?

makes me wonder if this is similar to this what Cahill does as the Hull guy runs across him, & then despite losing precise track of the ball, Cahill feels committed & then follows through anyway - would be my guess

OP is an interesting question, I suppose reckless play with the head is happily a rare event because it's quite dangerous for ones self in a way that 'putting your foot in' doesn't tend to be

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Meanwhile, the sensationalist, speculating, click-bait, wanting-to-be-first-on-the-scene toilet paper also known as The Mirror and their band of equally twattish journalists can go feck themselves. Incredibly inconsiderate, disrespectful headline writing causing unnecessary distress to Mason's friends and family. Disgraceful behaviour.
Was just about to say something to this effect.

Disgusting excuse for a newspaper.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Yeah, absolute shitbags, really, really pathetic.

Fingers crossed for Mason's quick recovery but bloody hell, it didn't look that serious in the video to be honest.

Acquire Me

This was really shit news. I really hope his okay. Football don't mean anything at this point.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His career as footballer is probably over

And this is incredible how life can change in 1 second
That's not necessarily the case. When I was 14 I had an accident in school where I was running down the hallway and jumped up to touch the door frame (short arse habit). I got it completely wrong and ended up gripping it by accident and swung my feet up, losing grip and coming down onto the back of my head first. From the time the first person found me (I was running the register back at tutor time after lunch so the corridor was deserted) to the time I regained consciousness was around 10 minutes. A CAT of MRI scan(whichever it was; the big spinning white noisy polo, CAT I think) showed a 6 inch crack in the back of my skull and as expected with an injury like that I had severe bruising and swelling on the brain.

Anyway... no contact sport for 6 months and then I was cleared to play no questions asked.

Unless he's got fragments of his skull or anything irregular, he'll probably be back in good time.

Edit - yeah that probably explains a lot.

Nick7

I didn't say it was. The severity of any injury also has no bearing on whether or not something was a foul.

Anyway. Good-ish news from Hull. "In for a few days" is a lot better than that Mirror report suggested. Cech was in hospital for 10 days and was back playing in 3 months.
I wonder if there's much difference in return protocol between a goalkeeper and an outfield player.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's a clash of heads ffs. Not even a yellow.
This.

It was a fair attempt to play the ball. I've defended hundreds of delivaries that hace resulted in the being nutted, only one ever left me seeing stars and thankfully none as bad as that injury wise. Cahill did nothing wrong.

As for Mason i hope he's ok. Nasty accident that and nobody likes to see it.

Acquire Me

Good post @Pexbo

It's much better to stay positive. Negativity is bullshit at this point. Also, who cares about football now, living is a bit more important tbf.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Seriously? You can't think of an obvious massive difference between an NFL player throwing his head at someone and a soccer player doing the same?

Anyway. Sounds like he's stable and on the mend. Good news.
There's obviously a difference but it's an example of an athlete making a challenge by putting his head in danger.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You don't suffer a bad head injury without someone else hitting you badly. In this case Cahill tried to get the ball, failed miserably and seriously hurt someone in the process.

Where do you draw the line? You can't slightly push someone that's jumping for a header. You can't bend under a player jumping for the ball. You can't jump on a player either despite that not being dangerous. Headbutting is fine though as long as you don't show obvious attempt.

Anustart89

Football will become completely non-contact at this rate. Two players going in hard for the ball, no intent to hurt one another just to get the ball and get it cleared/towards goal. It's what football is about and obviously no one wants to see anyone hurt, it's part and parcel of the game and its the risk players take when they step on to the field.
So when you're late in and you lead with your foot it's a foul, but when you're late in and you lead with your head it's not, right?

At what body part do you draw the line with which you cannot foul an opponent? Foot? Knee? Hip? Chest? Elbow? Shoulder? Or is the head the only body part you can't commit a foul with? What about headbutts, should they be allowed?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If I had a fractured skull, it would take me a lot to summon the courage to comeback to playing football again.

I wish Mason a speedy recovery.

CM

I might be mistaken but I don't think a 'stable' condition is necessarily a good thing in this context. I think the media tend to use the word to denote no change in circumstances, which can obviously be very misleading.

If so, The Mirror may not be as far off the mark as it seems, unfortunately.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I didn't expect people to think that was a foul - although I definitely agree with them. It was reckless from Cahill.. he was never going to get on the ball and had the full picture by coming on to the cross whereas Mason did not. It's dangerous play from him and he should have known to pull out of the challenge. Thought it was a card at the time, personally.

Anyway - that pales in comparison to the situation surrounding Mason. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and returns to football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You do see these given though? Not as often as perhaps you maybe should, but I don't think it's right to say they never get punished.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This.

It was a fair attempt to play the ball. I've defended hundreds of delivaries that hace resulted in the being nutted, only one ever left me seeing stars and thankfully none as bad as that injury wise. Cahill did nothing wrong.

As for Mason i hope he's ok. Nasty accident that and nobody likes to see it.
Being a fair attempt to play the ball has nothing to do it with, he was reckless in the challenge and didn't win the ball, just because it's in the air why does the rules of the game not apply?

Robbie Boy

I didn't see the incident and I never intend to as just looking at the pictures is bad enough. Hope Mason makes a full recovery, poor guy :(

Ainu

I do think situations like this should result in fouls more often. It's not as accidental as some make it out to be. If Cahill doesn't throw his head towards a ball he has very little chance of winning, especially not without hurting an opponent, Mason would not be hospitalised right now. Obviously Cahill didn't mean to do that but where do you draw the line? Is it ok to potentially inflict a head injury on another player just because you yourself have a chance to sustain the same injury? Not enough is done to discourage these things, especially when you consider how serious head injuries can be.

LR7

I don't think anyone is suggesting Cahill hurt Mason (and himself) deliberately but the intent isn't relevant because the way he launched himself was reckless and risked endangering an opponent.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
That's not necessarily the case. When I was 14 I had an accident in school where I was running down the hallway and jumped up to touch the door frame (short arse habit). I got it completely wrong and ended up gripping it by accident and swung my feet up, losing grip and coming down onto the back of my head first. From the time the first person found me (I was running the register back at tutor time after lunch so the corridor was deserted) to the time I regained consciousness was around 10 minutes. A CAT of MRI scan(whichever it was; the big spinning white noisy polo, CAT I think) showed a 6 inch crack in the back of my skull and as expected with an injury like that I had severe bruising and swelling on the brain.

Anyway... no contact sport for 6 months and then I was cleared to play no questions asked.

Unless he's got fragments of his skull or anything irregular, he'll probably be back in good time.

Edit - yeah that probably explains a lot.
Did you suffer any longer term effects mate? I rolled an hgv and got hit in the back of the head with a full toolbox as I flew across the cab. (My own stupid fault for putting it in the bunk :lol:) and the only long term change was ever since then sad films or tv make my cry like a little girl whereas before they barely registered!?!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did you suffer any longer term effects mate? I rolled an hgv and got hit in the back of the head with a full toolbox as I flew across the cab. (My own stupid fault for putting it in the bunk :lol:) and the only long term change was ever since then sad films or tv make my cry like a little girl whereas before they barely registered!?!
Ha no nothing I can think of (maybe memory then?!) definitely nothing like that though.

The actual injury never really "hurt" (I was so badly concussed I might as well have been drunk) until a couple of months later when I leant back against my patio window and gentle banged the exact spot and it was like a thousand needles being inserted into my skull.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
On the. Mirror website, comment:

11 minutes ago
Spanishme
Nothing to worry about, nothing in the skull anyway.
Marvellous how a******s like this get immediate treatment. Hope the club pays for this and not the NHS.[\quote]

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's so silly. Do we have to eradicate tackling? No, you just penalise players who mistime it. Same with headers.

I find it ridiculous that a goalkeeper can mistime a challenge where the result is that they punch someone in the head and it's not even a foul.
Sometimes they don't mistime it at all, they go for the punch and get rarely punished for it.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
It's a really poor challenge from Cahill, he's not only late but because of the angles he's got literally no chance of winning that ball.

I don't believe for a second he done it on purpose and I can only assume he had his eyes closed because otherwise he knows he can't win that.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fractured skull but an acceptable challenge? Ok...

Excessive force? Reckless? Dangerously out of control?

Ixion

No player is going to try and foul another player by hitting their skull with their own, it's incredibly painful no one would intentionally do it. It might be reckless but it's just an unfortunate accident. Hope Mason recovers fully.