Ryan Tunnicliffe

Comsmit

Then you are in a very exceptional minority my friend. Most of us have been in such a situation, sometimes the victims, and a lot is learned from the outcome. You may very well convincingly argue that it is inexcusable. For me, the fact remains that he committed a mistake a lot have or will commit. For me, the only inexcusable thing from this entire event is if he does it again in the future.
Sorry but your argument is horseshit. The most of us you are referring too must be a collection of utter feckwits, because I think you will find the majority of competent people are not utterley reckless in their actions. It only takes one episode of drink driving to ruin people's lives...it is inexcusable full fecking stop. The thing people learn is you shouldn't have done it in the first place....by then it's often too late though isn't it?

Widnes

Its only a matter of time before someone gets killed in one of these accidents.
With regards to Tunnicliffe, im with Noodlehair. His drive and aggression will stand out in youth and reserve leagues, but he'll be run of the mill once he's amongst men.
One of our youth products has already been killed. Jimmy Davis about 8 or 9 years ago died in a car crash, can't remember the details but i'm sure he was over the limit from the night before or something like that.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Sorry but your argument is horseshit. The most of us you are referring too must be a collection of utter feckwits, because I think you will find the majority of competent people are not utterley reckless in their actions. It only takes one episode of drink driving to ruin people's lives...it is inexcusable full fecking stop. The thing people learn is you shouldn't have done it in the first place....by then it's often too late though isn't it?
I agree with him. So many people take a risk when they are just over.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's always struck me as being a bit of a feckwit.

His playing style consists of being not that good at football and going around trying to prove he's proper hard. It's only in the last year he seems to have aquired the ability to play simple passes.
Ok.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
The lad has been a fool and most likely badly damaged his chances of having a career here. Its a shame and a big disappointment because I like a lot of others thought he had a top attitude and often used him as a comparison to Morrison in terms of how you need to apply yourself to make it at the club, obviously I was wrong.

His playing style consists of being not that good at football and going around trying to prove he's proper hard. It's only in the last year he seems to have aquired the ability to play simple passes.
The problem with this post is that none of it is actually true.

Barely HangingonEmu

I don't think he's a "feckwit" but I do think he can be rash as times and I don't think he has the ability to make it into the first team atm, but he's only 19 so he has time to work on that. For what it's worth, I don't think he'll make it at United.

Comsmit

I agree with him. So many people take a risk when they are just over.
Yep I'm not in denial I know lots do...and they are complete feckwits. But for me they are a minority, of course I can only focus immediately on my close demographic group of friends, family and acquaintances, which may in itself be a generalization. To be honest by the looks of things Tunnicliffe wasn't just over he was clearly plastered, hence the damage he has caused.

The suggestion or argument I took offense to is that which suggests "the only inexcusable thing about this entire event is if he does it again." I don't agree with that in any way. Just my feeling.

Will Absolute

This could have happened to most of us when we were 19. Inexperienced driver.....driving a little too fast..... start to slide on a wet road...... react the wrong way....... Bang!

The issue is how much he had to drink. If he was plastered, there's no excuse.

stubie

Can't imagine Tunnicliffe will be walking into Fergie's office and asking for a company car like Giggs did all those years back!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Then you are in a very exceptional minority my friend. Most of us have been in such a situation, sometimes the victims, and a lot is learned from the outcome. You may very well convincingly argue that it is inexcusable. For me, the fact remains that he committed a mistake a lot have or will commit. For me, the only inexcusable thing from this entire event is if he does it again in the future.
What the feck? What majority is that? First time I've heard that most people drive drunk. Don't know what town you live in but it's a very stupid thing to do. The most dangerous day-to-day activity for the average human is driving so doing it drunk is very stupid. I don't see an excuse for it.

Drainy

They should show all our youth players a video of Mads Timm playing before his car crash and then what happened to his career. Maybe that will show them the price of stupidity and that its not enough to just be talented or in Tunnicliffe's case have a great attitude to football if you do something ridiculous and break the law.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
What the feck? What majority is that? First time I've heard that most people drive drunk. Don't know what town you live in but it's a very stupid thing to do. The most dangerous day-to-day activity for the average human is driving so doing it drunk is very stupid. I don't see an excuse for it.
Where I come from, I could say that about 90% of the youth drink drive, hence my earlier post, mainly due to peer pressure and the lack of policemen stopping drunk drivers. I made a mistake of applying this to another country (I'm not from England). Apologies for the confusion, I forgot about the policemen and the actual application of the laws in England.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Where I come from, I could say that about 90% of the youth drink drive, hence my earlier post, mainly due to peer pressure and the lack of policemen stopping drunk drivers. I made a mistake of applying this to another country (I'm not from England). Apologies for the confusion, I forgot about the policemen and the actual application of the laws in England.
I understand the pier pressure and all that but there's no such thing for Ryan.

What are the fines like? It's at least 500 quid over here for your first offence. Definitely not worth it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

What are the fines like? It's at least 500 quid over here for your first offence. Definitely not worth it.
What fines? No one actually stops you (I'd say 1/200 chance they do), unless you total your car, which by then, is too late.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem with this post is that none of it is actually true.
We'll see

I suspect he'll end up very much as a Lee Cattermole type player though. He's got nowhere near enough in his locker to play at United.

I still don't understand why this is even an insult. A player who comes out of an academy and plays in the Premier League obviously hasn't done too badly for themselves.

Hal9000

2:15pm? bit early? Less he's been out on the piss the night before and it's still in his system.

Will Absolute

Most of them eventually fall down. One day a big wind and that's it..

Ekeke

Its true he's young and everyone makes mistakes but I would be surprised if this didnt KO his small chance of being a first team squad member at United.

Baxter

Its true he's young and everyone makes mistakes but I would be surprised if this didnt KO his small chance of being a first team squad member at United.
If he's good enough he will get chances regardless of this. Idiotic thing to do, but we've had players get into trouble before.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
If he's good enough he will get chances regardless of this. Idiotic thing to do, but we've had players get into trouble before.
Yes. Hopefully this will be a bump in the road.

By all accounts he is thought of very highly by everyone at Carrington so let's hope that after a few months of grueling work it will be behind him.

FWIW, Pete Boyle is saying he's had words with Tunnicliffe's family and is adamant he wasn't drinking.

gza the genius

Yeah, I can't see this ending his chances with us. That said, if Sir Alex has already decided he doesn't think he has what it takes to make it here it might just speed up the exit process, I doubt it though.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
In this case the thing he learned is 'he's extremely fecking lucky nobody was hurt, have a think about it champ'. Not anything past that.

Tarnishing him with the brush of on-road drink driving killers is not the right way to go about this. He has a bright future ahead of him and everyone deserves to learn from their mistake whatever it is (within reason).

He got lucky. He really needs to not do it again ever to have learned his lesson.

You're being a bit over the top imo.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm not even sure he has that much potential to be fair. I've seen posts saying that we wouldn't buy a midfielder because we have Tunnicliffe and it reminds me of times when people said we didn't need a midfielder because we had David Jones, who's now stuck on the bench at Wigan.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
That Youth cup winning team has being nothing but a disappointment.

Morrison being crazy, Pogba and Fryers leaving, Keane getting a long term injury and Now this. You have to wonder whos next? :nervous:

Tooni

I'm not even sure he has that much potential to be fair. I've seen posts saying that we wouldn't buy a midfielder because we have Tunnicliffe and it reminds me of times when people said we didn't need a midfielder because we had David Jones, who's now stuck on the bench at Wigan.
Few years back if someone had told me that Gibson will turn out to be a better player than Jones then I would have just laughed it off. Cleverley is now doing what most of us thought Jones would be doing and Jones is where many people thought Cleverley would be. With youngsters it's really hard to rule them out completely or be bloody sure that they'll make it.

Tunnicliffe may not be as skillful as other players but I can see him becoming a useful member of a squad in his own way similar to a Reo-Coker.

Comsmit

In this case the thing he learned is 'he's extremely fecking lucky nobody was hurt, have a think about it champ'. Not anything past that.

Tarnishing him with the brush of on-road drink driving killers is not the right way to go about this. He has a bright future ahead of him and everyone deserves to learn from their mistake whatever it is (within reason).

He got lucky. He really needs to not do it again ever to have learned his lesson.

You're being a bit over the top imo.
He should have already learnt not to do something fecking stupid and pathetic in the first place. It's common sense that drink driving is wrong...and Ryan Tunnicliffe must surely have a shred of common sense. He made a clear choice and he will know in the back of his mind what the consequences could be. He's not the one who should feel fecking lucky!..it's the people on the streets who fall into that in the first place.

Something as serious an offense as this should not be something you "learn" not to do after you do it. Like I already said it only takes one episode of drink driving to ruin people's lives...it's a fact mate. Who is tarnishing him with any brush? He's made his bed not anyone else.

The truth is people take this very seriously. If you have a blasé attitude to it that's your perogative, but you can't say someone is OTT about something as emotive as drink driving. Try saying that to a true victim of this fecking curse.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yes but people saying David Jones forgot a few things. The main point being, who was in the first team at the time. Jones was quite slight and not the future of the club. He was never, ever..not even in an alternate dimension putting any of the midfielders we had in the team, on the bench

---------------

Tunnicliffe's not maradonna but you don't make a team/squad out of 25 maradonnas. Silly thing to do but will it end his United career? No....

Apart from anything, it's out of character. If he has a history of this stupidty, then yes....

Mojo_pin

Good to see the drinking culture is still alive among the players.

What was equally newsworthy was the donation Vidic made to the father of a former team-mate. Good on him

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Few years back if someone had told me that Gibson will turn out to be a better player than Jones then I would have just laughed it off. Cleverley is now doing what most of us thought Jones would be doing and Jones is where many people thought Cleverley would be. With youngsters it's really hard to rule them out completely or be bloody sure that they'll make it.

Tunnicliffe may not be as skillful as other players but I can see him becoming a useful member of a squad in his own way similar to a Reo-Coker.
I think Jones done ok last season. :confused: Ok shakey at CB but he was good at RB.

RedPhil1957

I have seen some rubbish descriptions about players but this might well get top spot.

Cold_Boy

If he was not drunk, I don't see any reason for the club to take any action or make a difference to his career here( though I think he won't make it here).

If not drunk, its an accident and everyone makes mistakes.