Sadio Mane | Performances

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
right now he's the best in the world. messi doesn't get it done in UCL big games for me, with his age he's not up for really physical battles like sadio

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
even worse. So i guess the only explanation is we thought he wasnt worth what Southampton asked
We tried very late, after Pedro deal was off. I think Koeman or Southampton manager at that time made comment on that too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ed/the club thought he was too expensive/not good enough i guess. Then the shiny Di Maria was available and we went for him
Van Gaal wanted him and spoke to him, United made a bid and then he snubbed us.

sillwuka

I remember when we were linked with Mane, 95% percent of the caf didn't think he would amount to much. Look at him now, he's flying!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic signing for Liverpool imo and will become one of the best attackers in the EPL
There was one poster who called it right straight up back when he signed.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Madrid should've went for him instead of fatboy.
Thank God for knowledgeable folk that make up these teams of the year in the summer. 2018/2019? Yes Hazard better than Mane - universally accepted. Thankfully none more than at Madrid. :D

MrVolley

Remember people laughing at Liverpool signing Southampton players. 3 played tonight. 2 are the best in the world.

We need to learn from this and also look at raiding quality players from smaller clubs.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Remember people laughing at Liverpool signing Southampton players. 3 played tonight. 2 are the best in the world.

We need to learn from this and also look at raiding quality players from smaller clubs.
You've done that with Daniel James haven't you ? Doesn't look out of place at all in the PL. Looks like you got yourselves a bargain there.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral

We need to identify and sign the next Messi

hope someone gets the reference

mu4c_20le

It was funny when they were signing the likes of Lallana and Rickie Lambert.

Son from Spurs and Ndidi from Leicester.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Our best attacker by a fair bit now. I'd be more worried if we lost him than if we lost Firmino or Salah.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thank God for knowledgeable folk that make up these teams of the year in the summer. 2018/2019? Yes Hazard better than Mane - universally accepted. Thankfully none more than at Madrid. :D
Well come on now. Hazard was amazing last season too, and besides, his contract was running down, we'd been working on him for over a year and was far more attainable

I mean, would we even have been able to prise Mane off you? Unless we could convince him to force it, no chance, and even then he would have cost twice as much as Hazard probably. Wages would likely have been the same so...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Brilliant player, taken over Salah as their talisman.

mu4c_20le

I mean, would we even have been able to prise Mane off you? Unless we could convince him to force it, no chance, and even then he would have cost twice as much as Hazard probably. Wages would likely have been the same so...
I believe Real Madrid can attract any player in the world and Sadio doesn't really owe them anything. In fact, he has a history of pushing moves to bigger clubs.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I believe Real Madrid can attract any player in the world and Sadio doesn't really owe them anything. In fact, he has a history of pushing moves to bigger clubs.
Even then, wages being equal, Hazard was affordable. Mane would have cost upwards of €200m

Skorenzy

right now he's the best in the world. messi doesn't get it done in UCL big games for me, with his age he's not up for really physical battles like sadio

While I agree that he's been one of the best players in the world over the past two seasons and a half (and even more so recently), he falls completely short of your own criteria there.
Since 17/18 what has he produced in the big games in CL? Nothing much against Napoli (2x), PSG, Barça, Tottenham... Only against Bayern in the R16.

Messi was clearly better in their H2H from last season -- even in the 2nd leg Messi did more than Mané to influence the game.

Maybe I'm off the mark but it seems to me that the deciding factor in your judgement is that Mané's team won and Messi's didn't.
In my opinion Alisson, Van Dijk, TAA, Wijnaldum, Origi all did far more in the SF and F last season.
Meanwhile, for Barça, you can count on one hand the amount of big games where someone other than Messi stepped up (Iniesta vs Chelsea, Suárez vs PSG 14/15, Neymar vs PSG 16/17, Own-goal vs AS Roma 17/18) and in most other games if Messi's didn't do it, Barça were simply knocked out.

hubbuh

I think people were laughing at the Clyne's, the Rickie Lambert's. I remember lots of people on here were shouting for us to sign Mane. van Gaal even tried to.

Shimo

I think people were laughing at the Clyne's, the Rickie Lambert's. I remember lots of people on here were shouting for us to sign Mane. van Gaal even tried to.
Absolutely wanted this guy at the time. But, my memory of it is that LVG didn't want him because he didn't fit into the possession type player, too off the cuff for him. He'd have solved our right wing and also not been part of this Liverpool front 3 had we managed to sign him - ugh !

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He's unplayable.
He really is and it's been like this for a while no. 1v1 and you know he will beat his man. Play too tight and he'll make a run to put him thru on goal. Bring an additional defender and he'll make the right pass. Not much defenders can do at this point. I've always thought Firmino was the most important player but now it's clearly Mane. Special player.

Classical Mechanic

Absolutely wanted this guy at the time. But, my memory of it is that LVG didn't want him because he didn't fit into the possession type player, too off the cuff for him. He'd have solved our right wing and also not been part of this Liverpool front 3 had we managed to sign him - ugh !
Thought the story was he didn’t want to play for LVG?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It was funny when they were signing the likes of Lallana and Rickie Lambert.
Lallana looked like he would be an integral part of the team under Klopp until the massive injuries hit. Still happy for him to be part of the squad.

Clyne was decent until his injuries hit. Good defender, decent on the ball. Good purchase, unlucky outcome.

Lambert, ffs. Wtf was that.

Also Lovren. He's had spells of being good enough, but what a massive pain he's been for the fee we paid for him.

And Mane of course. And Van Dijk.

Overall, I'd give Southampton a positive rating on trustpilot. Would shop there again.

Shimo

Thought the story was he didn’t want to play for LVG?
Maybe that was it. Either way, I always lament what could have been when I watch him for Liverpool. Then again, we have Dan James as an eventual result I think, so maybe long run it will all work out.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Lallana looked like he would be an integral part of the team under Klopp until the massive injuries hit. Still happy for him to be part of the squad.

Clyne was decent until his injuries hit. Good defender, decent on the ball. Good purchase, unlucky outcome.

Lambert, ffs. Wtf was that.

Also Lovren. He's had spells of being good enough, but what a massive pain he's been for the fee we paid for him.

And Mane of course. And Van Dijk.

Overall, I'd give Southampton a positive rating on trustpilot. Would shop there again.
I wouldn't any more. I don't see much in their squad now that raises the eyebrows. Ward-Prowse has a decent set piece on him but that's pretty much it.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
My favourite player in the PL. spectacular