Sancho needs our support

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Does anyone know how insurance works for sporting organisations?

If Player A breaks a leg and is out for 6 months, are there insurance policies out there to cover costs? Or is the risk on the business?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If I put the Sancho from 2019 right into this team, I would be dreaming. Him coming back, honestly it'd be like a new signing.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Why would there be an official statement? Literally zero reason for there to be one.
When a player gets injured or a leave of absence we get a statement - what kind of injury and how long we can expect him out.
Sancho has been out for almost 3 months.

predator

Youth NITK
I disagree. I think Ten Hag has done very well to try and take the spotlight off him, although it helps that the team is winning.

Look at what happened to Kalvin Phillips yesterday to see an example of why it’s better to keep it in house. Maybe Pep thought it would motivate him, but having a whole stand shouting “you fat bastard” and “show us your tits” has got to be pretty brutal.
:lol: I bet the lads in the stands singing this are all in much worse shape than KP.

PoTMS

Can he come back already? A Dortmund like Sancho with Weghorst could be the key to climbing up the table. I don't even wanna mention how we could've done with that other massively talented ubercunt.

Bwuk

:lol: I bet the lads in the stands singing this are all in much worse shape than KP.
Phillips was laughing at it tbf to him.

Somethings definitely happened here. Not sure I believe the drugs rumour - this has gone on too long.

It’s very odd the clubs fine with letting him train away from the squad, and be unavailable despite not being injured for 3 months whilst likely being the 2nd highest earner.

I can only imagine the outroar around the fanbase if this was Pogba.

Giggsy13

I think it’s time everyone just put trust into ten Hag’s man management skills rather than writing off a player that many credible football people thought was up their with Haaland as one of the best young players in the world. I have a good feeling that both Sancho and Weghorst will add some much needed help to our thin attack. Have faith in the young lad Sancho!

RedTiger

Half mast
Don't think the public knowledge of the reason for his absence is important, there's clearly a very good reason given he's not been suspended by the club and has the support of the manager. This surely would have played out differently if it was something that warranted disciplinary measures and would have involved third party associates (drug test) which would prompt the club to make an official statement.

The best scenario for both Sancho and the club is the very situation at present. He is eventually coming back into a team where he has to fight for his position as opposed to being a pivotal first team member where the longer it takes the more scrutiny / criticism he would come under due to declining team performances. Garnacho / Rashford have been excellent, hopefully Sancho comes in and makes a key contribution for the upcoming fixtures.
This 100%.

The only reason Jadon has been allowed this amount of time off is because we're doing well and the manager knows what his squad is. If there were any serious long term issues I'm sure ETG would've recalled Amad by now.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't get why a player who is getting paid 350k week, and only at 22, will need help and to get 3+ months off alone finding his form.
This whole situation is pretty ridiculous.

He's been collecting £350k a week for months now, on top of costing us £70m+ in transfer fees and hes petrified to make a wrong pass??

Whatever demons hes dealing with he really needs to get a grip and realise hes in a better position that 99.5% of world. You're being paid to kick a ball infront of packed stadium full of people who love you. It could be so much worse.

I think Ten Hag has given him more than enough leeway, time to earn your wages.
If he is dealing with a mental health issue - and we don't know that is the case, but it appears very likely - these sorts of posts show just how ignorant people are about the causes, impact, and treatment of mental health problems.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have patience as long as the player shows commitment. Wish him luck.

moodyred

I am sympathetic of the stress players may be getting at this level and for his age.

However, if you or your agent has asked for 350k wage, then I expect you to be a player who can overcome these challenges and contribute to the club. I hope he is on no pay leave or at least on a pay cut. My company for sure won't be paying me indefinitely for not working.

Womp

idiot
I don't get why a player who is getting paid 350k week, and only at 22, will need help and to get 3+ months off alone finding his form.
Do people still genuinely have this opinion that people are exempt from mental health struggles given how much they earn? I'm not saying he is suffering from mental health as simply put, no-one apart from those involved know, but these opinions just seem quite tone deaf. There is more to life than profession and financial circumstances.

The break is obviously something Ten Hag is on board with, so it's something his employer has deemed justified, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I wonder where he fits in assuming he returns fit and firing. He’s not a winger who hugs the line and keeps the width, at least that’s not how he has excelled previously. He also hasn’t to my knowledge ever had an extended run in the classic number 10 role currently occupied by Bruno. False 9 seems very unlikely.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Do people still genuinely have this opinion that people are exempt from mental health struggles given how much they earn? I'm not saying he is suffering from mental health as simply put, no-one apart from those involved know, but these opinions just seem quite tone deaf. There is more to life than profession and financial circumstances.

The break is obviously something Ten Hag is on board with, so it's something his employer has deemed justified, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.
Its hilarious and sad people think like that.

It was good to see Sancho at the City game, he looked in good spirits, hopefully a sign he is closer to a return.

Waynne

Give him as much time as he needs to overcome whatever issues he's dealing with.

Coming to think that Rashford's 'pointing to his head' celebration probably means he is in a good space mentally for the team. I'd like to think Ten Hag is trying to work the same magic on Sancho.

Womp

idiot

It was good to see Sancho at the City game, he looked in good spirits, hopefully a sign he is closer to a return.
I agree, I haven't written him off yet, his talent is ridiculous and he's shown he can do it in a major European league. We've been shite for the most part he's been here, so I still hold hope we can see closer to his Dortmund form, especially now that we have a coach who seems to be getting more out of our players.

GifLord

The problems I have with these mental health excuses is kinda tiring. You have tons of players who look world beaters during training but then when the matches start they can't handle the pressure.
Here we have Sancho who has had numerous problems with professionalism at Dortmund
- fined because he came late to training numerous times - said it was because he cant sleep. Before the signing Lingard literally confirmed they used to play games all night with Pogba, Williams, Sancho...
-fined because he didn't care about Corona lockdowns and went back to England for a new hairstyle and then complained on twitter how it was unjust
-fined because he came back very late from International break,...
He's on what 350k a week? When you sign a player on those wages you expect immediate impact. He has barely performed on a consistent basis.
Money doesn't grow on tree's and we're not always going to have it. We've been a shitshow for almost 10 years now with barely any trophies to our name.

kaku06

Vulgarian
The addiction rumours makes more sense to me than mental health rumours. He used to play video games late into the night and had discipline issues already at Dortmund. Given his lifestyle, fitness etc substances abuse just make more sense to me. As already been mentioned, these things are far too common in football than people think.

Any which way I just hope he is alright and comes back to his best. He’s a genuinely good lad and it’s not his fault we gave him 350k. He’s far too young and far too talented to not make it to the top especially under a manager like ten hag. We have to take care of him either way mental health or any other issue. We can’t give up on him at this point. He needs help and I’m glad ten Hag is on it.

Stack

The problems I have with these mental health excuses is kinda tiring. You have tons of players who look world beaters during training but then when the matches start they can't handle the pressure.
Here we have Sancho who has had numerous problems with professionalism at Dortmund
- fined because he came late to training numerous times - said it was because he cant sleep. Before the signing Lingard literally confirmed they used to play games all night with Pogba, Williams, Sancho...
-fined because he didn't care about Corona lockdowns and went back to England for a new hairstyle and then complained on twitter how it was unjust
-fined because he came back very late from International break,...
He's on what 350k a week? When you sign a player on those wages you expect immediate impact. He has barely performed on a consistent basis.
Money doesn't grow on tree's and we're not always going to have it. We've been a shitshow for almost 10 years now with barely any trophies to our name.
The problem with people like you is you use the wages as some sort of catch all excuse to deny people legitimacy with their problems. What exactly do the wages have to do with anything? People in all sorts of high paying professions have issues. On top of that we dont know exactly what the problem was except for a bunch of fairly vague comments from TH indicating some sort of problem but never actually fully explaining. We all of course are making assumptions or guessing but while thats going on the tired "they get paid massive amounts so why are they having problems" stupidity gets thrown around.
The problem with peolple throwing those arguments around is they are kinda tiring.....

Pronewbie

Peep
Phillips was laughing at it tbf to him.

Somethings definitely happened here. Not sure I believe the drugs rumour - this has gone on too long.

It’s very odd the clubs fine with letting him train away from the squad, and be unavailable despite not being injured for 3 months whilst likely being the 2nd highest earner.

I can only imagine the outroar around the fanbase if this was Pogba.
Pogba was a repeat offender.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The problem with people like you is you use the wages as some sort of catch all excuse to deny people legitimacy with their problems. What exactly do the wages have to do with anything? People in all sorts of high paying professions have issues. On top of that we dont know exactly what the problem was except for a bunch of fairly vague comments from TH indicating some sort of problem but never actually fully explaining. We all of course are making assumptions or guessing but while thats going on the tired "they get paid massive amounts so why are they having problems" stupidity gets thrown around.
The problem with peolple throwing those arguments around is they are kinda tiring.....
And mostly BS as well

GifLord

Yeah and i have problems with people who use mental health as an excuse for their poor performances. Especially English players just love to throw mental health as the main problem for them being donkey footballers - see Lingard.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah and i have problems with people who use mental health as an excuse for their poor performances. Especially English players just love to throw mental health as the main problem for them being donkey footballers - see Lingard.
So Lingard invented his family issues then?

Must be a real good actor then because he fooled his team mates and his manager pretty good

GifLord

So Lingard invented his family issues then?

Must be a real good actor then because he fooled his team mates and his manager pretty good
Yes mental health issues for having to take care of his siblings, mental health issues because his mom was sick. Just imagine he's the only one with these problems like what do we normies have to deal with every day?
The kid's lucky he won the lottery.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Yes mental health issues for having to take care of his siblings, mental health issues because his mom was sick. Just imagine he's the only one with these problems like what do we normies have to deal with every day?
If I may... There is no need to argue about this. Lingard could have been stressed or depressed about family-related matters AND also have been a total donkey of a footballer. BOTH of these things could have happened and been true. As a matter of fact, I think that's exactly what it was - both of these things were true.

But Lingard is the past, has nothing to do with whatever is up with Sancho. Lingard should have been sold way before he left, that's on our idiot owners/executives.

p.s. I do agree not all hardships in life are "mental health issues". Life is just hard, for most people, in ways most other people have no idea. It sucks, but it is true. And then there're also few-er people who suffer legit mental health issues. I have no idea which is the one Sancho is dealing with, because he hasn't said anything about it and everything else are just rumors. But whatever it is, as a United fan, I hope he gets help and comes back as a star we all hope he can be for us.

Stack

Clueless

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And what was the official statement? Stupid is buying these young players for 80-90m and then as soon as they hit a wall they breakdown. He already had issues at Dortmund - multiple times
Why does there need to he an official statement? It's between him and his employer to agree on the way forward. They don't necessarily have to tell me and you. Maybe they will when they feel it's right to do so.

But the assumption that there is no reason has no basis.

Last edited:

Gordon S

Sure, if thats the case, I would show my full sympathy, patience and support on him.

But we can't just assume thats that case out of our pure speculation, can we?

The only known fact here is, he has been out for 3 months for no "official" reason, other than he needs to take his time off to find back his form. This is also likely due to him having been playing poorly this season, followed by having largely shite form last season.

He is one of our most expensive signings to date, and highest paid player in the squad too. Let's just not conveniently shield him from any blame/criticism just based on our pure speculation alone on whats going on behind the scene. Besides, the criticism we have on him is far less severe than that we have on players like Lingard, Pogba, Maguire, Rashford or even Ronaldo over the past 1-2 years or so. As long as he didn't really suffer from any mental condition which needs medication/care, I think he should really try to man up abit and sort it out quickly. Afterall, he was on huge wage and I think he owes the club something.
So, it is completely wrong to speculate that he might be having some problems with regards to mental health. Which seems like one of the few explanations that actually makes sense in all this.

But, it is completely fair game to speculate, or hell, not even just speculate, just straight out assume that it is Erik punishing a young player for not living up to expectations. Which doesn´t make a world of sense to me. We have seen some poor spells from many of our players last couple of years and none has ever been separeted from the team like this. Erik doesn´t seem to be angry with him either, which he should be if it was a punishment. If anything, he seem protective and sympathetic towards him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For Sancho it's all about getting the physical robustness (and obviously mentally being in the right place) that is required for this league. In terms of technical quality and intelligence he has absolutely everything needed to be a big success here.

GifLord

If I may... There is no need to argue about this. Lingard could have been stressed or depressed about family-related matters AND also have been a total donkey of a footballer. BOTH of these things could have happened and been true. As a matter of fact, I think that's exactly what it was - both of these things were true.

But Lingard is the past, has nothing to do with whatever is up with Sancho. Lingard should have been sold way before he left, that's on our idiot owners/executives.

p.s. I do agree not all hardships in life are "mental health issues". Life is just hard, for most people, in ways most other people have no idea. It sucks, but it is true. And then there're also few-er people who suffer legit mental health issues. I have no idea which is the one Sancho is dealing with, because he hasn't said anything about it and everything else are just rumors. But whatever it is, as a United fan, I hope he gets help and comes back as a star we all hope he can be for us.
Yeah but he used his mental health as to why he was so bad. He had all these problems yet when it came to his brand he was posting and advertising it every time he had the chance - even for the tragic Manchester bomb event.
There were people here believing it aswell.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So the fans now believe Sancho is having mental issues. Not sure if this is what the club intended and hopefully not something that will bite him once he's back, but since the club decided to stay silent I guess that's how it will be until he gets back.

We could use Sancho to take some pressure off Antony - he's in the spotlight now. But I'm starting to think he's off for the season.

crossy1686

career ending
Does anyone know how insurance works for sporting organisations?

If Player A breaks a leg and is out for 6 months, are there insurance policies out there to cover costs? Or is the risk on the business?
Insurance covers player salary when they're out injured and not available for selection. Not sure how that would work in Sancho's case however.

crossy1686

career ending
So the fans now believe Sancho is having mental issues. Not sure if this is what the club intended and hopefully not something that will bite him once he's back, but since the club decided to stay silent I guess that's how it will be until he gets back.

We could use Sancho to take some pressure off Antony - he's in the spotlight now. But I'm starting to think he's off for the season.
Being out for over 12 weeks in the middle of a season, just before deleting your Instagram and social media, kind of screams personal/mental issues. No club in the world is going to let a player of his calibre just take off for 3 months on a quest to 'get in shape', he had a preseason.