Sancho needs our support

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problems I have with these mental health excuses is kinda tiring. You have tons of players who look world beaters during training but then when the matches start they can't handle the pressure.
Here we have Sancho who has had numerous problems with professionalism at Dortmund
- fined because he came late to training numerous times - said it was because he cant sleep. Before the signing Lingard literally confirmed they used to play games all night with Pogba, Williams, Sancho...
-fined because he didn't care about Corona lockdowns and went back to England for a new hairstyle and then complained on twitter how it was unjust
-fined because he came back very late from International break,...
He's on what 350k a week? When you sign a player on those wages you expect immediate impact. He has barely performed on a consistent basis.
Money doesn't grow on tree's and we're not always going to have it. We've been a shitshow for almost 10 years now with barely any trophies to our name.
its not really about the money but more about the standards set by the club. If a player is allowed to get away with that then that will have an effect on the team. Most players will emulate what the rotten apple is doing either by doing what he's doing or by doing something similar. We've seen that when a number of players (including Ronaldo) left the pitch after being substituted. Others would start questioning whether the club has its priorities right.

That's why the best managers in the world had always placed discipline as a central core of their management. SAF for example had sold some of his best players in their prime whenever he felt that they had crossed the line.

devilish

Being out for over 12 weeks in the middle of a season, just before deleting your Instagram and social media, kind of screams personal/mental issues. No club in the world is going to let a player of his calibre just take off for 3 months on a quest to 'get in shape', he had a preseason.
TBF it can happen because of attitude problems as well, something Sancho seemed to have struggled with at Dortmund. Basically the manager might have given the player an option to either follow a rigid plan that shows real commitment to the cause or he'll be shown the door.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

I am sympathetic of the stress players may be getting at this level and for his age.

However, if you or your agent has asked for 350k wage, then I expect you to be a player who can overcome these challenges and contribute to the club. I hope he is on no pay leave or at least on a pay cut. My company for sure won't be paying me indefinitely for not working.
I suggest you find a new company. Mine would absolutely keep paying me.

sepulturite

The problems I have with these mental health excuses is kinda tiring. You have tons of players who look world beaters during training but then when the matches start they can't handle the pressure.
Here we have Sancho who has had numerous problems with professionalism at Dortmund
- fined because he came late to training numerous times - said it was because he cant sleep. Before the signing Lingard literally confirmed they used to play games all night with Pogba, Williams, Sancho...
-fined because he didn't care about Corona lockdowns and went back to England for a new hairstyle and then complained on twitter how it was unjust
He's on what 350k a week? When you sign a player on those wages you expect immediate impact. He has barely performed on a consistent basis.
Money doesn't grow on tree's and we're not always going to have it. We've been a shitshow for almost 10 years now with barely any trophies to our name.
Jesus :houllier: never has someone had a more appropriate tagline than you.

I hope no one you know ever suffers from mental health issues, because judging by your posts on the subject in here you may as well hand them the straitjacket and get it over it.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Jesus :houllier: never has someone had a more appropriate tagline than you.

I hope no one you know ever suffers from mental health issues, because judging by your posts on the subject in here you may as well hand them the straitjacket and get it over it.
There's gulibility then there's fanboys of certain players.
Tunnel vision and all that...

sepulturite

I'm neither gullible or a fanboy of Sancho, I can plainly see, like any sensible person would, that there's clearly some sort of mental issue here, purely because the club are being very leniant and sympathetic about the whole thing. Otherwise they would have put some sort of statement out if he had just been a bad egg etc.

And as others have said, his wages don't matter when it comes to mental health, everyone is the same when it comes to it, any one can suffer from it. Unfortunately I know all to well because my sister is that boat.

Jeffthered

What has been the most recent official update?

This is worry, because fans are not sure whether this is a physical injury, mental issues, or anything else. Sancho and his agent/ management team need to appreciate that fans will draw their own conclusions, especially as the squad continues to do so well with the limited resources we have.

The absence of any statement from Sancho is quite a concern, even an Insta' post saying 'I'm ok, working hard to get back and help my team-mates..' or something. The club, fans, deserve an explanation, an update.

phelans shorts

What has been the most recent official update?

This is worry, because fans are not sure whether this is a physical injury, mental issues, or anything else. Sancho and his agent/ management team need to appreciate that fans will draw their own conclusions, especially as the squad does so well with the limited resources we have.

The absence of any statement from Sancho is quite a concern, even an Insta' post saying 'I'm ok, working hard to get back and help my team-mates..' or something. The club, fans, deserve an explanation, an update.
No they don’t, basically. Nobody needs or deserves anything, those on the inside are kept abreast of the situation and nobody else matters at all.

Jeffthered

No they don’t, basically. Nobody needs or deserves anything, those on the inside are kept abreast of the situation and nobody else matters at all.
That's a misguided statement. The nature of the football industry, the commentary and level of focus that top-level football receives, means that fans, pundits, former players, the media and the subsequent influence of the media, all do matter, whether we may accept this or not.

The Sancho situation will elicit rumour unless the matter is clarified.

crossy1686

career ending
TBF it can happen because of attitude problems as well, something Sancho seemed to have struggled with at Dortmund. Basically the manager might have given the player an option to either follow a rigid plan that shows real commitment to the cause or he'll be shown the door.
I completely agree, and I suggested last week this could be more on Ten Hag's terms than Sancho's, but then I was told "LeAvE sAnChO aLoNe! hE's GoT mEnTaL iSsUeS! tHeY nEeD tO tEaCh ThIs In ScHoOlS!"

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Being out for over 12 weeks in the middle of a season, just before deleting your Instagram and social media, kind of screams personal/mental issues. No club in the world is going to let a player of his calibre just take off for 3 months on a quest to 'get in shape', he had a preseason.
I am not arguing that, I just don't think this is the best way to handle it from Sancho point of view. I'm not an expert on communication etc but I am worried about some opposition fans using it against him for example. Also I am not sure about the second part of your post, I think he wasn't in best shape and despite not doing a lot of running, was always hooked after 60' or so, therefore this scenario that he's working on fitness makes sense as well. Anyway, I do not think this "Sancho mental health" topic goes away at this point so here we are.
I agree but in this scenario I think it would make sense for the club to communicate this, right? And since it didn't happen, now the fanbase think it must be mental issues because "what else would it be"?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Any word on when he's back? Could really do with him now with all the fixtures coming thick and fast

devilish

@Borys

The media will not be told anything either way (mental or attitude problems). The reason for that is simple really. Whatever the cause it would drive Sancho's price down significantly. The club won't like it and ETH will find himself in collision course with the pro British players media

If you ask me, ETH would have preferred to have kept this under wraps. Unfortunately that's not an option with the British media.

crossy1686

career ending
I am not arguing that, I just don't think this is the best way to handle it from Sancho point of view. I'm not an expert on communication etc but I am worried about some opposition fans using it against him for example. Also I am not sure about the second part of your post, I think he wasn't in best shape and despite not doing a lot of running, was always hooked after 60' or so, therefore this scenario that he's working on fitness makes sense as well. Anyway, I do not think this "Sancho mental health" topic goes away at this point so here we are.
I agree but I do think he'll be integrated back into the first team at some point and then he might do an interview where he speaks about whatever has happened, if he feels the need to. Regarding his career, United aren't going to say it's anything more than fitness because then they can still sell him in the summer if that's what they really want to do. We can obviously speculate about a failed in house drugs test or mental health issues, and to me, something doesn't seem quite right. This must be the first case of a club sending a player off to 'get fit' in the middle of the season and the player being unavailable for selection during that time. It would have been interesting to see if the club took the same approach if there wasn't a break for the WC in the middle. The topic isn't going to go away because Ten Hag himself said it's not just physical, you have to be right mentally to play for United.

Personally, I'm hoping for all parties it's just a case of standards. Manager comes in, sees Sancho not fit enough and not professional enough, sends him off to get his shit together or he's gone in the summer, tells the rest of the squad this is what happens if you don't get your shit together, it doesn't matter who you are, how much you cost or how much you're paid.

Jeffthered

The media will not be told anything either way (mental or attitude problems). The reason for that is simple really. Whatever the cause it would drive Sancho's price down significantly. The club won't like it and ETH will find himself in collision course with the pro British players media

If you ask me, ETH would have preferred to have kept this under wraps. Unfortunately that's not an option with the British media.
You can't have one the most expensive players in the world not playing nor even being available for selection, and the issue not becoming an ongoing headline. This needs some Comms'... people will just investigate, someone, somewhere will eventually 'talk'... etc, etc. It's far from ideal, and I do wonder about Sancho himself. Maybe the club is too big for him. Similar to the Zaha signing in that respect.

saivet

Any word on when he's back? Could really do with him now with all the fixtures coming thick and fast
No but he was was at the City, which is maybe an indicator that things are better/getting closer as he hasn't been seen in a public place since he was training in Holland and coming to Carrington.

phelans shorts

That's a misguided statement. The nature of the football industry, the commentary and level of focus that top-level football receives, means that fans, pundits, former players, the media and the subsequent influence of the media, all do matter, whether we may accept this or not.

The Sancho situation will elicit rumour unless the matter is clarified.
It’s not, it’s a fact. Rumours can be used all they want, a statement won’t stop people making unfounded rumours so why bother making a statement that helps literally nobody

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is similiar with Fletcher's case (when we were hiding his problem from public). Some health issues are still tabu in society.
He has some mental issues and he is working on it. He is young, he will overcome that and will be back to playing when he feels right. When that will be, we can only guess.

romufc

No but he was was at the City, which is maybe an indicator that things are better/getting closer as he hasn't been seen in a public place since he was training in Holland and coming to Carrington.
Yep, he took photos with fans and Ten Hag said he is back individual training a week back. So, I would suspect that he is probably a few weeks out.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The silver lining from the unfortunate circumstance surrounding Sancho is Garnacho getting game time which might not have happened if Sancho had been available.

dinostar77

This is where we didnt do our due diligence and realise the lad doesnt have the professionalism to forfill his potential.

phelans shorts

The public is a nosy bunch. One of the key considerations for newsworthiness is public interest.

In fact, I find it astounding that details around this has been so sparse when taking into account his fame and the size of the club.
A public interest story is something like, for instance, the prime minister hiring his mistress into a role that she has no history of doing, not an employee being granted leave of absence from their work.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The public is a nosy bunch. One of the key considerations for newsworthiness is public interest.

In fact, I find it astounding that specifics have been so sparse when taking into account his fame and the size of the club.
Yeah I have no doubt this would have leaked last year with that dressing room.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
A public interest story is something like, for instance, the prime minister hiring his mistress into a role that she has no history of doing, not an employee being granted leave of absence from their work.
Turns out we're both wrong :lol:

"Yet, public interest journalism is not universally defined. One common understanding among media practitioners and academics is that it refers to a journalist pursuing information that the public has a right to know... This is not stories that are simply “interesting to the public” (read here: stories about the Kardashians) – that is, entertaining, but with no civic value."

Source

Laurencio

Let's be fair to Sancho. He went from the hottest talent in Europe to a substitute in a dysfunctional side, where he was scared to take on a man, was screamed at by a washed up legend on a daily basis and missed out on the WC squad. All at the age of 21 and 22.

Giving him a second to find his feet again seems reasonable.

phelans shorts

Turns out we're both wrong :lol:

"Yet, public interest journalism is not universally defined. One common understanding among media practitioners and academics is that it refers to a journalist pursuing information that the public has a right to know... This is not stories that are simply “interesting to the public” (read here: stories about the Kardashians) – that is, entertaining, but with no civic value."

Source
I’d argue that supports what I’m saying! We don’t have any right to know why Sancho is not available, that’s a personal thing with him and his employer. Public interest is stuff like abusing a position of power or corruption.

Let’s just wait and see it run its course. He’s back training at Carrington and attending games, my assumption at this stage is he’ll be back in the squad by the end of the month and everyone will forget this happened by the end of the season.

devilish

You can't have one the most expensive players in the world not playing nor even being available for selection, and the issue not becoming an ongoing headline. This needs some Comms'... people will just investigate, someone, somewhere will eventually 'talk'... etc, etc. It's far from ideal, and I do wonder about Sancho himself. Maybe the club is too big for him. Similar to the Zaha signing in that respect.
From a purely financial POV, players are assets ie their value can be written in a spreadsheet and used (ex to justify more debt, FFP etc). Its within the club's interest that the player's value goes up or at least it doesn't depreciate. As you said its almost impossible to hide the disappearance of an 80m signing especially in the UK were there seems to be this idea that clubs like ours owe the national team some sort of debt or something which is repaid by playing English players.

Now let's say ETH came out and said that Sancho's attitude is wrong. Then potential buyers would take that in account. The same would happen if he says that he has mental issues or he struggles to remain fit. So how would clubs avoid that? Let's have a look to what ETH said.

"We want to bring him back as quickly as possible, but I can’t give a prognosis of when that will be. Sometimes there are circumstances with fitness and mood. We got a drop of quality level and sometimes you don’t know why or what is causing it. That is what we are doing now to try to get him back there. It is a combination of physically and mentally."

That's very smart and its called distribution of fault. Let me give you an example of that. Imagine we're in a forum (not redcafe) and there's a trigger friendly mod (ex devilish) who banned you for a week when in reality he should have just infracted you. You contest that ban and after 3 days an admin reverse the ban. Now if that admin tells you the truth then you'll have a strong argument to get that person demoted or even banned. However if that admin tells you something within this line ie we have a policy were 2-3 posters highlight your post, then a mod takes that post to a committee which then decides what action should be taken. Then you're less likely to push for a ban simply because there's too many moving parts that needs to be punished. That's a common practice politicians like to use. Instead of placing the blame on 1-2 things (ex Politician A messed up or Brexit) they will try to distribute it on various factors (lack of productivity, the Ukrainian war, Covid, inflation, recession, neighbouring country being mean, trade wars, oil prices had shot up etc) which in turn diminishes the punishment of such fault on them. Defence lawyers tend to do the same. They'll try to distribute the fault on many things (mental sanity, upbringing, provocation etc) to try and shift the blame on as many things as possible.

A potential buyer might stir away at a player whose manager had labelled him as injury prone or has an attitude problem or has mental issues. However they might give a player with an unfortunate combination of that a second shot. That's because its not uncommon for a player to pass from a bad patch (ex being used as a scapegoat during a major tournament) which in turn might have affected his fitness.

justboy68

Wanting this wild speculation to end is somehow becoming the main reason I want Sancho to come back. :lol:

moodyred

I suggest you find a new company. Mine would absolutely keep paying me.
Good for you. No company in my country will pay anyone indefinitely for not working. That would be leeching on others to do your work. Not a sustainable system.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Your attitude to this is absolutely abysmal, and probably helps explain why so many young men in particular don’t feel able to admit mental health problems and get the help they need. I’d give you the benefit of the doubt and say it’s just ignorance that is stopping you from understanding this but I think that’s generous to be honest. You really need to educate yourself.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It’s so weird how some people seem to go out of their way to refuse to acknowledge things that they don’t understand/haven’t experienced themselves.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Surely we saw last season with rashford that if you aren’t in the right frame of mind to play you’re better off not playing. He had time in the summer to reset - sancho has been given that time during the World Cup and since to do the same. His performance levels had dipped every bit as much as rashford’s last year. I have no doubt ETH is going to get him firing.