SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

tombombadil

It seems to be that only some people are very contagious. The vast majority of people who catch it won’t infect anyone else. But a small minority infect everyone they go near. If we could work out why it might make life a lot easier for us.
It's been said that infectiousness is at the highest 2 to 3 days before symptoms appear. (High viral load). Hence all the early panic about pre-symptomatic patients. And those who are symptomatic normally take between 5 to 10 days to be symptomatic.

I gather that means maximum infectiousness roughly 2 days to 14 days after infection depending on patient. And also depending on how symptomatic the patient is.

But that is just my own conjecture.

Carolina Red

Staff
How are poeple around you responding to it? In the UK it seemed to me that after the first peak a good chunk of people didn't worry so much about growing cases, but once they started translating into deaths again, people got very worried again. More burned out than during the first lockdown but generally in agreement that things are bad enough to warrant another epic sacrifice.

Do you think people within your area / across the country are worried about things and think the government / citenzry aren't doing enough, or is there more acceptance that this is really bad but there's nothing we can do about it, people gotta live? I can't imagine the people that think this is all overblown are much more than a loud minority.
I live and work in a very, very conservative part of an already conservative state. Middle of Trump-land, so we've got a lot of folks who just don't think this is legit and still think the numbers are just "them cooking the books" trying to "gain control" over the population. Case in point: the district I work for just held school board elections and 3 people were elected to the school board (out of 8 total) who are Covid denial types that ran on a platform of ignoring our Dept of Health's data and just sending all kids back to school full time. My wife still has people laying in ICU beds about to go on ventilators due to Covid admitting to her that they didn't "think it was a real thing", "no worse than the flu", "I just can't believe this is happening" etc. The students at the high school my uncle works at, and where I attended, held a 250ish student bonfire over Thanksgiving Break that their parents knew about and were okay with. Now they're starting to have positive cases across all grade levels. Our High School League, the governing body over interscholastic sports, has pushed on with beginning winter sports, so while cases are going through the roof, we are pushing on with basketball and wrestling seasons. It is a truly, truly surreal experience as a wrestling coach preaching to the kids about the need for proper mask procedures and social distancing off the wrestling mat, but then once they get on the wrestling mat, those rules do not apply, per the High School League.

Again - this is anecdotal of a person living in the middle of Trump-land, but as we saw from the election, Trump-land is still a sizeable portion of the population.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I live and work in a very, very conservative part of an already conservative state. Middle of Trump-land, so we've got a lot of folks who just don't think this is legit and still think the numbers are just "them cooking the books" trying to "gain control" over the population. Case in point: the district I work for just held school board elections and 3 people were elected to the school board (out of 8 total) who are Covid denial types that ran on a platform of ignoring our Dept of Health's data and just sending all kids back to school full time. My wife still has people laying in ICU beds about to go on ventilators due to Covid admitting to her that they didn't "think it was a real thing", "no worse than the flu", "I just can't believe this is happening" etc. The students at the high school my uncle works at, and where I attended, held a 250ish student bonfire over Thanksgiving Break that their parents knew about and were okay with. Now they're starting to have positive cases across all grade levels. Our High School League, the governing body over interscholastic sports, has pushed on with beginning winter sports, so while cases are going through the roof, we are pushing on with basketball and wrestling seasons. It is a truly, truly surreal experience as a wrestling coach preaching to the kids about the need for proper mask procedures and social distancing off the wrestling mat, but then once they get on the wrestling mat, those rules do not apply, per the High School League.

Again - this is anecdotal of a person living in the middle of Trump-land, but as we saw from the election, Trump-land is still a sizeable portion of the population.
Yeah it does sound surreal. Do you feel in any way compelled to say feck this shit, the regulations don't make sense, I can't allow the kids to do this? Or is it a case of the government approve of this, the kids want to do this, just gotta go with it?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It seems to be that only some people are very contagious. The vast majority of people who catch it won’t infect anyone else. But a small minority infect everyone they go near. If we could work out why it might make life a lot easier for us.
I bet it’s those people who seem to have a wet nose 365 and constantly do those stifled coughs without putting their hand over their mouth.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah it does sound surreal. Do you feel in any way compelled to say feck this shit, the regulations don't make sense, I can't allow the kids to do this? Or is it a case of the government approve of this, the kids want to do this, just gotta go with it?
I mean, the way the head coach and I see it is that we both take Covid seriously in a sea of of folks that don't and if we don't coach the kids, someone else who doesn't take it seriously will. At least when they are with us, we can control as much of the situation as possible.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Thought this was a parody but that really is Gavin Williamson isn't it?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

How are the kids themselves responding? Are they like many of their parents denying or playing down the risks too?

Brwned

I mean, the way the head coach and I see it is that we both take Covid seriously in a sea of of folks that don't and if we don't coach the kids, someone else who doesn't take it seriously will. At least when they are with us, we can control as much of the situation as possible.
True!

Thought this was a parody but that really is Gavin Williamson isn't it?
Seemed like he was just doing a bad Boris Johnson impression. Sure let's be a bit jokey about one of the most serious issues of our time, I give handshakes to everyone. They don't seem to realise that not taking themselves seriously means competent leaders also don't take them seriously.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red, you're a sensible man, your wife is also sensible - what keeps you there amongst all those crazies? I assume you have family ties there, but good grief, I don't know how you tolerate it.
Yeah, I mean... this is where we are from. Our parents and grandparents are still living here and all that. Plus it is expensive as all hell to move since property values in S.C. are relatively lower than most other places, and I would lose my retirement basically because I’m in the SC Pension Plan, so leaving would be a massive financial decision. And that is on top of the student loans from my masters and my wife’s nurse practitioners degree... we just can’t afford to leave even if we want to.
How are the kids themselves responding? Are they like many of their parents denying or playing down the risks too?
Most kids are doing really well with masking and distancing. But then, like I said, you’ve also got that group that isn’t that does things like a 250+ person bonfire party over Thanksgiving Break. And ultimately, even if we’re able to make every kid to do exactly what they’re supposed to while at school, if they don’t outside of it, it won’t matter. Which sucks.

redshaw

Italy with 993 deaths, Poland still having a bad time with 620 deaths, been about 3 weeks of high numbers in Poland.

Brwned

Ok. Time to be a bit less doom and gloom. This is an absolute cracker of a Twitter thread on where we are with vaccines. Some of it might be a bit technical if you’re not that way inclined but you skim through to get the gist of what he’s saying. Worth sticking with until the end. Honest. It’s actually kind of optimistic.

Just got around to reading this and the original review. Thanks for sharing! The Twitter thread definitely does a good job at bringing out the salient points for the layman. The diagrams of the different vaccine types in the main article is especially helpful though! I can kind of see how it works now.

Reading it now in light of the AZ news, I think the criticism directed against them is probably a bit harsh. It just seems like their vaccine candidate isn't as good, with a lower immune response and more side effects, but the comparison of the phase I/II trials reiterated that they tried to evaluate the immunogenicity in more ways (not just the sterilising effect but more elements of the neutralising effect). The dosing mixup seems to be more of an outlier than a fair reflection of their rigour, and more than anything it was a poorly handled PR issue (which they amazingly seem to making worse).

If we weren't comparing it to the results of these new mRNA vaccines they'd be praised for their speed and effectiveness. It isn't as effective as Pfizer but it is more effective than the one in widespread use in China, seemingly on three key dimensions: the neutralising effect in the general population, the neutralising effect in older adults, and the t-cells produced. so it's better than the flu vaccine people are happy to take in the UK, and the covid vaccine people are taking in China, but it's taking a bit of a pummeling. It's a good thing that they're being compared against such high standards with the US vaccines, but you can understand why the UK scientists are getting a bit prickly.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Am I right in thinking that the mRNA vaccine trials only tested symptomatic participants but the Oxford trial tested everyone so would have picked up asymptomatic people, thus reducing the effectiveness figures?

lynchie

Am I right in thinking that the mRNA vaccine trials only tested symptomatic participants but the Oxford trial tested everyone so would have picked up asymptomatic people, thus reducing the effectiveness figures?
The effectiveness number was based on symptomatic subjects only. I can't find where I saw that now, but it was confirmed by the Oxford team.

zing

Zingle balls
If we weren't comparing it to the results of these new mRNA vaccines they'd be praised for their speed and effectiveness. It isn't as effective as Pfizer but it is more effective than the one in widespread use in China, seemingly on three key dimensions: the neutralising effect in the general population, the neutralising effect in older adults, and the t-cells produced. so it's better than the flu vaccine people are happy to take in the UK, and the covid vaccine people are taking in China, but it's taking a bit of a pummeling. It's a good thing that they're being compared against such high standards with the US vaccines, but you can understand why the UK scientists are getting a bit prickly.
Can you please provide a source for your comments on the Chinese vaccine? I have a friend who has access to Sinopharms vaccine but is still deciding if he should sign up for the jab, would be useful to know some info.

Brwned

Can you please provide a source for your comments on the Chinese vaccine? I have a friend who has access to Sinopharms vaccine but is still deciding if he should sign up for the jab, would be useful to know some info.
Here's a recent article discussing it in Nikkei Asia (maybe a bit gleefully?) and here it is in the Washington Post a little earlier. They both relate to this journal in the Lancet about Sinovac rather than Sinopharm. From this journal comparing the phase I/II results of the main vaccines, Sinopharm did perform notably better than Sinovac in the phase II trials, but we don't know the phase III results yet. I wouldn't take a vaccine until they've released phase III and it has been assessed by experts. That's when they thoroughly assess its safety and its efficacy. What we know so far is it generates some immune response and it is safe enough to continue testing, like Sinovac, but we don't know how well it performs.

On Nov. 17, British medical journal The Lancet featured a study about the efficacy of Sinovac Biotech's vaccine candidate based on initial clinical trials. It found that the Chinese company's candidate generated lower levels of protective antibodies than those present in recovered coronavirus patients. The efficacy was determined to be moderate.

In contrast, the candidates from U.S.-based Pfizer and Moderna were found to be more than 90% effective, while the offering from Britain's AstraZeneca had an overall efficacy rate of 70%. Both American pharma companies used cutting-edge technology to develop their products.

Sinovac used an inactivated virus that does not induce illness to develop its candidate, a tried-and-true method long employed for fighting pathogens such as influenza. The report of moderate success therefore caused ripples because more solid results were expected.

The team in The Lancet study confirmed the presence of antibodies and found no safety problems, sufficient evidence to continue with clinical trials. Sinovac senior director Meng Weining told an online conference on Nov. 20 that final-phase trials were proceeding smoothly.

"I guess maybe next month we'll have data available," he said.
What Sinopharm are saying is particularly strange, assuming it's not being mischaracterised. They haven't released phase III results but they're happy to say it's safe because they've just done an uncontrolled trial on over a million people and...no problems so far? But then maybe there's been no problems because they're not actually following up to check? It's all a bit curious.

People lined up to receive inoculations Thursday at a Sinopharm research lab in Beijing, a program that has been expanded before the end of clinical trials.

Nearly 1 million people have received inoculations, the company said Nov. 18, up from 350,000 in September. Inoculations of individuals such as employees of state-owned companies have nearly tripled over the past two months.

Several such employees reported being inoculated in September but that Sinopharm made no attempt to contact them.

This raises questions about the effort being made to check on the health of people receiving a vaccine under development. Normally such contact would occur right after inoculation, as well as six months to a year later.

"After close to 1 million inoculations, there has not been a single adverse reaction," Sinopharm Chairman Liu Jingzhen said in a statement Nov. 18.

zing

Zingle balls
Here's a recent article discussing it in Nikkei Asia (maybe a bit gleefully?) and here it is in the Washington Post a little earlier. They both relate to this journal in the Lancet about Sinovac rather than Sinopharm. From this journal comparing the phase I/II results of the main vaccines, Sinopharm did perform notably better than Sinovac in the phase II trials, but we don't know the phase III results yet. I wouldn't take a vaccine until they've released phase III and it has been assessed by experts. That's when they thoroughly assess its safety and its efficacy. What we know so far is it generates some immune response and it is safe enough to continue testing, like Sinovac, but we don't know how well it performs.

What Sinopharm are saying is particularly strange, assuming it's not being mischaracterised. They haven't released phase III results but they're happy to say it's safe because they've just done an uncontrolled trial on over a million people and...no problems so far? But then maybe there's been no problems because they're not actually following up to check? It's all a bit curious.
Thanks. Appreciate the detailed reply and citations.

tombombadil

So this has been doing the rounds on social media lately. And sadly, it was shared by a bloody doctor. He's a born again pentecostal, so that explains a lot, I guess. Sigh ..... disappointing to know i have friends like this. He was also one those who were complaining that people are going to die anyway and that we should reopen.

I don't know what to do with these kinds of lunacy. I just shared that twitter thread shared by Pogue and hope his medical training can understand what the guy was tweeting and hopefully realise what an idiot he is.

Last edited:

djembatheking

So this has been doing the rounds on social media lately. And sadly, it was shared by a bloody doctor. He's pentecostal, so that explains a lot, I guess. Sigh ..... disappointing to know i have friends like this. He was also one those who were complaining that people are going to die anyway and that we should reopen.

I don't know what to do with these kinds of lunacy. I just shared that twitter thread shared by Pogue and hope his medical training can understand what the guy was tweeting and hopefully realise what an idiot he is.
I don't understand what sinister gains Bill Gates would get out of this?

Brwned

I don't understand what sinister gains Bill Gates would get out of this?
Typically it comes down to two main explanations; it's an attempt at depopulation or a plan to put microchips in your body for either surveilleance or control. The notion of depopulation isn't that conspiratorial given what has happened before, the conspiracy aspect tends to be that it's disguised as a vaccine and dictated by a shadowy cabal of elites. Which then tends to get tied in with the Gates foundation being "on trial for illegal vaccination" and another web of loosely related and mostly false ideas.

I'm doing a bit of research into vaccine hesitancy at the moment and the thing that seems to be coming out of it is that our perceptions of anti-vaxxers are essentially a bit naive or self-gratifying. To me the key takeaway is something that was touched upon here. The way we think about vaccine hesitancy and conspiracy theories tends to be very black and white – people either do or don’t believe in them. The reality is actually much murkier.

Most people don’t really know what to think about these complicated ideas, and they’re swayed in the moment by targeted information or misinformation, and unless they’re forced to, people don’t look into things much beyond that. They can flip-flop about from these two supposedly contradictory ideas, because they never really believe either of them, they just place their trust in people – sometimes experts, sometimes neighbours, sometimes anonymous online “influencers” – to do that thinking for them, and they make temporary judgment calls. They don’t identify with these beliefs, they’re just passing ideas, completely irrelevant to their day to day life and their worldviews.

If you see that photo, have it followed up on with some reasonable-looking web links, and then speak to someone else who believes it, it's surprisingly easy for that just to become your adopted view. Unless you're incentivised to assess all of the evidence and identify that as misinformation, you're content just moving on from there. And because conspiracy theories make for better stories, and we're just programmed to love information framed in stories, it's quite hard for the boring truth to win the argument.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

So this has been doing the rounds on social media lately. And sadly, it was shared by a bloody doctor. He's a born again pentecostal, so that explains a lot, I guess. Sigh ..... disappointing to know i have friends like this. He was also one those who were complaining that people are going to die anyway and that we should reopen.

Ah yes the Pentecostal Christians who preach that all lives matter when it comes to abortion but are more than happy for people (particularly poor people) to die unnecessarily when they feel their own rights are being infringed upon.

tombombadil

Typically it comes down to two main explanations; it's an attempt at depopulation or a plan to put microchips in your body for either surveilleance or control. The notion of depopulation isn't that conspiratorial given what has happened before, the conspiracy aspect tends to be that it's disguised as a vaccine and dictated by a shadowy cabal of elites. Which then tends to get tied in with the Gates foundation being "on trial for illegal vaccination" and another web of loosely related and mostly false ideas.

I'm doing a bit of research into vaccine hesitancy at the moment and the thing that seems to be coming out of it is that our perceptions of anti-vaxxers are essentially a bit naive or self-gratifying. To me the key takeaway is something that was touched upon here. The way we think about vaccine hesitancy and conspiracy theories tends to be very black and white – people either do or don’t believe in them. The reality is actually much murkier.

Most people don’t really know what to think about these complicated ideas, and they’re swayed in the moment by targeted information or misinformation, and unless they’re forced to, people don’t look into things much beyond that. They can flip-flop about from these two supposedly contradictory ideas, because they never really believe either of them, they just place their trust in people – sometimes experts, sometimes neighbours, sometimes anonymous online “influencers” – to do that thinking for them, and they make temporary judgment calls. They don’t identify with these beliefs, they’re just passing ideas, completely irrelevant to their day to day life and their worldviews.

If you see that photo, have it followed up on with some reasonable-looking web links, and then speak to someone else who believes it, it's surprisingly easy for that just to become your adopted view. Unless you're incentivised to assess all of the evidence and identify that as misinformation, you're content just moving on from there. And because conspiracy theories make for better stories, and we're just programmed to love information framed in stories, it's quite hard for the boring truth to win the argument.
Yeah. I was initially tempted to just drop an insult, but in the end, I felt it was counter productive and decided to leave the link from Pogue instead. I can only hope that it changes his mind. Or even if that fails, at least stop his misinformation from spreading to other people in that group.

Foxbatt

It's the same in many countries. In Canada in Alberta the only province without a mask mandate is now protesting about having to wear a mask in some places only.
The cases are rising and deaths are increasing.
It's crazy lunatics and right wing racists leading the way. The funny thing is the Premier is one of theirs.

Dante

Average bang
There's a massive crowd of anti-mask protestors in Manchester Piccadilly Gardens right now. No social distancing either, as you might have guessed.

Looks like we'll be staying in tier 3 for the foreseeable future.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

I think mainstream science has a problem in these situations. It talks about probabilities, statistics, risks. It admits weaknesses (like animal trials not necessarily offering guarantees in humans) but keeps coming back to square one and a balance of evidence. It's a bundle of maybes that still (in the eyes of the specialists) add up to a definite yes, or more commonly to a yes, but - like no pregnant women, no under 13s etc etc - and a promise to keep an eye on adverse reactions, unexplained events, and to keep looking even if they appear to be unfortunate coincidences.

The hard-core antivaxxers have no doubts. They offer certainties about "my friend's neighbour's niece" who had a fever afterwards and became autistic. Even where there are elements of truth (like the narcolepsy/flu jab story from a few years back) they talk as if it was a common problem, occurring after any/every vaccine or that it happened to all the kids given that vaccine that year, and they certainly don't compare it to the number of fatal or debilitating illnesses that the jab stopped. Emotion and passion is on their side, and fear of the unknown is always easy to trigger, particularly if it gets repeated by people you normally agree with (whether that's your vegan wholefood champion or Donald Trump)

Which puts the onus back on the science community and those who trust them. Full disclosure may be painful but it's also a necessity. The mRNA vaccines really are a novel technology and to go from 0 (or 50k who have only recently taken it) to 100m over a few weeks will reveal new information - it also won't reveal everything. Similarly a lot of the information they gather from that point on, will be obtained by "luck" - like the women who are/become pregnant who receive the vaccine and what the outcomes of those pregnancies are.

The science sales pitch is a tough one - but overwhelmed hospitals, packed morgues, intermittent lockdowns and massive social and economic disruption is a pretty unattractive option.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
They made 4 arrests. I don't know why they don't round up a bunch of them to send a message that it won't be tolerated.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

I've read my share of misinformation, and leaving some key info out allows them to tell the truth and still mislead people, I've seen a lot of that in regards to the effectiveness of masks. Makes it harder for people to come to the right conclusion. Like they will fail to mention that people who get SARS-COV-2 while wearing a mask almost always get an asymptomatic or mild case, they just point out people in masks are still getting infected and perhaps point out how they're less effective than a N95, then conclude you shouldn't wear one.

Unless someone puts that into perspective for you, you don't know what to think. Good articles don't spend much time filling in those blanks, probably because they're not reading the misinformation to know what they're leaving out. The US govt has used up its good reputation as an institution from all the lies that have been told to citizens, people don't trust them. Never mind the Trump administration intentionally mislead everyone and continues to do so.

There are so few independent journalists that are trying to dig deeper than the info you get from the mainstream media, but the internet is full of people happy to get clicks by copy pasting some nonsense onto their site.