SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The best thing about that Standard article are the tweets reacting to the story that they chose to highlight:
Bob said:
No wonder covid is spreading spread! Selfish, idiotic kids with no brains or thoughts for others!
FFS, Bob, you had one job.
Kevin Mitson said:
People in London are totally stupid and that’s a fact.
This guy gets it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wow, Have people given up ?
Hubris & selfishness.

It will be interesting to see how the apparently anticipated Covid baby bump might run into the health care systems in many countries in overload & potentially little to no space in hospitals.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What's up with them? I know the young people have much less to worry about Covid-wise, but it's not all young people there. It's a disgrace.
Dunno how true this is but I heard that a lot of the young ones outside Harrods were an organised meet of traveller kids. Supposedly the plan was to get so many in the shop that it would cause confusion for nicking stuff. Just what I heard, dunno how true.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Two things I've learned this year.

1. I don't want me or my family to contract Covid if at all possible
2. People are dumb and selfish.

Now, I know 2 isn't strictly true as there are some good and sensible people around, of course there are, but the proportion of those that sit under the umbrella of dumb and selfish is much larger and way more annoying than I'd ever realised. This has saddened me.

Also, Nottingham's annual Christmas market had to be shut down also. My question is, why was it even allowed to go ahead?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Now, I know 2 isn't strictly true as there are some good and sensible people around, of course there are, but the proportion of those that sit under the umbrella of dumb and selfish is much larger and way more annoying than I'd ever realised. This has saddened me.

Also, Nottingham's annual Christmas market had to be shut down also. My question is, why was it even allowed to go ahead?
Agree with all of that. Such a waste of time for that Christmas market, it was so packed that they closed it an hour later. I love how people think that covid magically goes away when the government say things can reopen for Christmas. Have some blooming common sense

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Dunno how true this is but I heard that a lot of the young ones outside Harrods were an organised meet of traveller kids. Supposedly the plan was to get so many in the shop that it would cause confusion for nicking stuff. Just what I heard, dunno how true.
I wondered why so many young people were desperate to get into Harrods, it struck me straight away that that was very weird.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
BBC:
Where will the vaccination in England begin?
In England, 50 hospital "hubs" are due to begin vaccinating tomorrow:

Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust;
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
East Suffolk And North Essex NHS Foundation Trust;
North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust;
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Great Yarmouth);
Norfolk And Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust;
Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust;
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (London);
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust;
St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (London);
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (London);
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust;
Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
University Hospitals Coventry And Warwickshire NHS Trust;
Royal Stoke Hospital; Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust;
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust;
United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust;
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust;
Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust;
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
North CumbriaIntegrated Care NHS Foundation Trust;
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust;
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust;
South Tees NHS Trust; Wirral University Teaching Hospital;
Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust;
Stockport NHS Foundation Trust;
Blackpool Teaching Hospital;
LancashireTeaching Hospital Trust;
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust – Wexham ParkHospital;
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
East Kent Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – William Harvey Hospital;
Brighton And Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust – Royal Sussex County Hospital;
PortsmouthUniversity Hospitals Trust;
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust;
Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust;
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust;
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Swindon);
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
North Bristol NHS Trust.

Hospitals in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will also vaccinate tomorrow - but full lists of hospitals have not been published.

finneh

I think the difficulty with this situation is every single person has a different risk profile, however it's impossible to tailor rules/laws that are different for every individual. This isn't just in terms of how dangerous Covid is to yourself, but also those you come into contact with. The result is that some of the rules are too lax for some individuals (the result being death) and those same rules can be overly onerous on others (causing them to disregarded them completely).

There is a huge difference in terms of risk between a 20 year old who for the last 9 months has not come within 2 meters of someone over the age of 65, compared with a care home worker for example. Individually the former person is arguably acting more responsibly attending a 20 man house party than the latter person is by merely having dinner inside with another household.

In my view someone who's living with a family member who's 80+ with underlying conditions who is following the rules 100%, can actually be acting far more stupidly than someone who is breaking some of the rules.

Like driving though I would imagine if you asked everyone what their risk profile is it would be massively different to reality. The majority of people put themselves in the top decile for driving ability, despite that being an impossibility. I'd imagine the majority of people would put themselves in a lower Covid of risk categories, despite the reality being different. I'd like to have seen the government treat people as adults and educate as to various risk profiles and explain the kind of things that would be seen as high risk in each risk category.

I think more people would abide by the rules in this scenario. A blanket 40mph speed limit on the motorway to cater for 90 year olds with low reaction times would likewise be ignored by huge swathes of the population, not because they're law-breaking imbeciles, but because the reasoning behind the law doesn't apply (or isn't seen as applying) to them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is that shaven back and sides haircut popular with traveller kids? They look very 1930s when you zoom in on the pic.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I mean.. it probably is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think this is a smart move because it will cause a lot of people currently saying 'BILL GATES MICROCHIPS! No way I ever get jab' quietly get it because they will want to go on their summer holidays.
If we're speaking about the UK I expect foreign travel to go down owing to Brexit, less disposable income and fear of vaccination. The number of people who would fall into cross section of a Venn diagram with those factors are quite small but I still expect there to be a good few thousand who are in that area.

In the US there are many people who have very little interest in foreign travel and don't even have passports. I imagine many of these will avoid vaccination as they don't travel outside the US.

Jippy

Staff
The comments :lol:

I might be tempted to book a holiday if this is the case as those lot won't be there.
Jesus, did you click on best rated?

So is Bill Gates actually in league with satan?

Sherpa-Diem, Utah, United States,
Get ready for the mark of the beast if Bill Gates has his way.

Smores

Jesus, did you click on best rated?

So is Bill Gates actually in league with satan?

Sherpa-Diem, Utah, United States,
Get ready for the mark of the beast if Bill Gates has his way.
I thought Bill Gates was the devil with that fecking paper clip to be fair, way before it was cool to question the satanic one.

Not to side with the crazies but the vaccines haven't proven to stop transmission have they? Air travel passports only work if they do.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yet another “celeb” that does what they want because they can as long as they apologize for having a spreader event afterwards
She went in very very hard on Cummings after Durham castle press conference and has also presented many other celebrity Covid-19 transgressions, which makes her’s all the more galling.

but generally speaking, failure to sanction Cummings set the precedence nationwide and I’d guess almost everyone takes liberties vs national guidelines which are supposedly law.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The beginning of the end of covid19!
British citizen Margaret Keenan, aged 90, first person in the world to receive approved vaccines.
8 billion people to go!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Got emotional watching it.

Still be many more months of this but the countdown clock to normality can slow start ticking now.

Adamsk7

You know it’s a weird year when you’re openly excited watching a 90 yr old receive a jab...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
She said all the right things, bless her. She's doing her bit to make other people less anxious.
I know, I found my lip trembling a little there. You can imagine the image of her being injected becoming ingrained in our memories like other apparently inauspicious photos of landmark moments. She would have had no idea, growing up all those years ago that she would eventually be in the world media, having the first vaccine in the battle against such a deadly global virus. Incredible moment for us all hopefully.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The beginning of the end of covid19!
British citizen Margaret Keenan, aged 90, first person in the world to receive approved vaccines.
8 billion people to go!

Didn’t know Justin Trudeau was so adept at sign language.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thanks god it went smoothly and not...
Imagine if something like that actually happened?! On live TV!!!! Would have been the end for COVID-19 vaccine trust and beginning of a global citizenry meltdown!

Jippy

Staff
Imagine if something like that actually happened?! On live TV!!!! Would have been the end for COVID-19 vaccine trust and beginning of a global citizenry meltdown!
:lol:Oh god, it would be amazing on one level if they did it as a hoax somewhere, but it would be wildly irresponsible.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Covid-19 in the USA now spiralling ever more wildly out of control, with more than 200k new cases every day and growing. At current growth rates it's estimated that there will be nearly 10.5 million new cases in a month from now, with over 380,000 deaths.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Covid-19 in the USA now spiralling ever more wildly out of control, with more than 200k new cases every day and growing. At current growth rates it's estimated that there will be nearly 10.5 million new cases in a month from now, with over 380,000 deaths.
9/11 a day are dying too.
Will hit 3,000 dead a day soon I’m sure