SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Covid is now the biggest killer in Australia. I'm getting my 4th shot on Monday but i hope further vaccine development gets ahead of new variants so they protect better from catching the disease.

Skills

Snitch
I've had the weirdest cold for over a week now but I keep testing negative for covid.

It's strange, because I know I've got some kind of infection (slightly stuffy nose, a bit of a sore throat, some aches and pains) but it's mild enough to ignore. It's the weirdest experience I've had, because normally i go through these symptoms for about a day or 2 before a fully blown infection which knocks me out for a day and a half followed by a recovery over the next 48 hours. But this is like the early stage that has lasted for 8 days now.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
4th shot just authorised here from Monday. I have a Monday appointment.
I can't get one yet, Italy's only doing people over 80, people in care homes or with certain health conditions. oates got his 4th yesterday and the doctor had been to the main vaccination centre to get the vaccine - he said it was absolutely full of very old people, and it's a huge place.

We've never stopped wearing masks here, as it happens.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've had the weirdest cold for over a week now but I keep testing negative for covid.

It's strange, because I know I've got some kind of infection (slightly stuffy nose, a bit of a sore throat, some aches and pains) but it's mild enough to ignore. It's the weirdest experience I've had, because normally i go through these symptoms for about a day or 2 before a fully blown infection which knocks me out for a day and a half followed by a recovery over the next 48 hours. But this is like the early stage that has lasted for 8 days now.
About two months ago I had something similar to you, lasted around two weeks and then I got hit with a terrible cold that lasted another two weeks.

Skills

Snitch
About two months ago I had something similar to you, lasted around two weeks and then I got hit with a terrible cold that lasted another two weeks.
And you were negative for covid throughout? It's weird. If it lasts an entire month, then it's fecking awful.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I can't get one yet, Italy's only doing people over 80, people in care homes or with certain health conditions. oates got his 4th yesterday and the doctor had been to the main vaccination centre to get the vaccine - he said it was absolutely full of very old people, and it's a huge place.

We've never stopped wearing masks here, as it happens.
Policy has only just changed here. I'm getting mine on the first official day for over 30's

Kopral Jono

I must have missed the memo as to when the comment section on YouTube became an antivaxx cesspool. I was just watching a video on the latest Covid strain and Jesus H., these idiots talk about being a fecking 'pureblood' like it's an achievement instead of a brain defect.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I must have missed the memo as to when the comment section on YouTube became an antivaxx cesspool. I was just watching a video on the latest Covid strain and Jesus H., these idiots talk about being a fecking 'pureblood' like it's an achievement instead of a brain defect.
Certain channels attract degenerates, ever read the comments on vids upload by BBC? Absolute pond life

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Tested positive for third time since November.

arthurka

Nice way to start my summer vacation by testing positive. 3 Pfizers and I haven't got a clue where and how. Was pretty sick for two days but getting better.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Jaysus that’s shit luck. Did you get a booster last winter?
Yeah but I tested positive around the same time.

Anyway this time was the mildest case but also the first time I’ve had a temperature with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah but I tested positive around the same time.

Anyway this time was the mildest case but also the first time I’ve had a temperature with it.
I honestly can’t remember how often I got mild viral illnesses pre-covid. Probably about a similar frequency as you have since November. I’m currently under the weather (testing negative) after having my first experience with covid in April. I actually think it would do us all good to stop testing and deal with each illness on its own merits. A few mild viral illnesses a year is basically normal. I only tested myself because the wife was nagging me so much!

cyberman

Family and I have tested positive again twice in 6 months.
Didn’t know it was cut to 5 days isolation, seems a bit severe to me

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I honestly can’t remember how often I got mild viral illnesses pre-covid. Probably about a similar frequency as you have since November. I’m currently under the weather (testing negative) after having my first experience with covid in April. I actually think it would do us all good to stop testing and deal with each illness on its own merits. A few mild viral illnesses a year is basically normal. I only tested myself because the wife was nagging me so much!
I've now had it 3 times (first Oct 21 and now just done with the third), but there's no way I would have known about the latter 2 if it wasn't for precautionary testing. Genuinely baffled each time it came up as positive.

Think it's worth still testing (work requirements/more vulnerable), but it's hard to think of the current wave as being anything close to what we've already gone through.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Surprised by you saying that. A test takes minutes but the result can help you decide if you really should go to great aunt Maggies 90th birthday at the nursing home, or whether you’re safe to go into a medical appointment in the hospital etc

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Surprised by you saying that. A test takes minutes but the result can help you decide if you really should go to great aunt Maggies 90th birthday at the nursing home, or whether you’re safe to go into a medical appointment in the hospital etc
Well the official guidance is to not take a test if you feel unwell. If you have symptoms wait until 48 hours after they’ve passed before doing any of the above. Which makes perfect sense to me.

To be fair, there are some scenarios where I still test myself no matter how I feel. I have a friend who is very medically vulnerable and I’ll test myself if I’m going to hang out at his place for an evening. Other than that, though, I’m done with testing. Life moves on. It’s time to put most of this stuff behind us.

golden_blunder

Staff
Well the official guidance is to not take a test if you feel unwell. If you have symptoms wait until 48 hours after they’ve passed before doing any of the above. Which makes perfect sense to me.

To be fair, there are some scenarios where I still test myself no matter how I feel. I have a friend who is very medically vulnerable and I’ll test myself if I’m going to hang out at his place for an evening. Other than that, though, I’m done with testing. Life moves on. It’s time to put most of this stuff behind us.
So you’d continue into a medical environment without testing even if you have some symptoms?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So you’d continue into a medical environment without testing even if you have some symptoms?
Come on, geebs. Read what I wrote. I’ll be following the official guidance. Isolating myself until 48 hours after symptoms have passed. In fact, I’m doing that right now! (have head cold since the weekend) Once those 48 hours are up, it’s back to living as normal.

golden_blunder

Staff
Come on, geebs. Read what I wrote. I’ll be following the official guidance. Isolating myself until 48 hours after symptoms have passed. In fact, I’m doing that right now! (have head cold since the weekend) Once those 48 hours are up, it’s back to living as normal.
Fair enough but I’ll ask you this; how do they tell how bad a strain is if no one is testing anymore? Serious question. It seems very Trumpesque

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fair enough but I’ll ask you this; how do they tell how bad a strain is if no one is testing anymore? Serious question. It seems very Trumpesque
Same as they do with any other virus. A combination of the testing they will continue to do for very sick patient in hospital and surveillance programs in the community.

You and me jamming cotton buds up the noses of everyone in our family at the first hint of a sniffle never did anything to monitor new strains anyway.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The ONS survey continues in the UK. They do sequencing on their positive results so we'll see any strain that's got a significant community prevalence. Hospital surveillance continues as well, mostly on inpatients which is where we get severity data - only a few countries ever did much work on that anyway, and the ones who did, still do but at a lower scale.

Most countries don't do the equivalent of the ONS survey. Like flu, they are mostly only looking at what they have to know for medical treatment.

Large scale sequencing has always been a thing done only by a minority of countries - so not as much as changed as you might think when it comes to capturing new mutations.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy has today opened 4th dose bookings for over-60s, only the big centres are open so it's a long drive, but never mind. I'm surprised they've done it so quickly, really.

lsd

The Oracle
How bad is this strain? The wife's 90plus year old granny has just got it.

It seems to be a bit worse than omicron but not as bad as the first strain perhaps more contagious

I hope she will be ok

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
How bad is this strain? The wife's 90plus year old granny has just got it.
There's a big element of luck involved for everyone, not just the over 90s, though they're the group at highest risk. The odds are firmly on her side though, even at her age, and if she's vaccinated she's done what she can to be prepared. Compared to previous mutations, this one is not as bad as Alpha or Delta but it is infecting a lot of people.

Standard advice - stay hydrated, eat what you can, rest. Most people will get better in a few days. Hopefully someone is keeping tabs on her to make sure she is ok, and can get her medical help if she needs it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I have never taken a rapid test as a precaution due to the high false negative when viral load is low. In retrospect I did have one mild cold for a day or so but there were no chest symptoms at all and barely a sniffle. I isolated as I would for a cold or flu as I've always hated people going in to work sick to prove something or other. I now wonder if I had an nearly asymptomatic covid infection. Now had my 4th shot so hoping even if I do get it that it should be very mild.

Red Stone

I have never taken a rapid test as a precaution due to the high false negative when viral load is low. In retrospect I did have one mild cold for a day or so but there were no chest symptoms at all and barely a sniffle. I isolated as I would for a cold or flu as I've always hated people going in to work sick to prove something or other. I now wonder if I had an nearly asymptomatic covid infection. Now had my 4th shot so hoping even if I do get it that it should be very mild.
After taking about six tests in the past weeks due to constant exposures I can safely say that RAT tests are great if you're already actually sick, otherwise they're pointless. The symptoms come before you trigger a test, at least that's been the experience for me, my family and my friends. They seem very reliable at determining whether what you have is actually covid or not, though.

DeGea’sFeet

Feck me cases went from 1000 new cases a day on the 8th, to 190,000 new cases a day on the 13th?

How does that happen, never seen such a drastic rise before. Is it due to a lack of people getting tested compared to the last few years, but then if it is how did 190,000 new cases suddenly get identified? Are symptoms getting worse again and people are now testing again over the past week?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Feck me cases went from 1000 new cases a day on the 8th, to 190,000 new cases a day on the 13th?

How does that happen, never seen such a drastic rise before. Is it due to a lack of people getting tested compared to the last few years, but then if it is how did 190,000 new cases suddenly get identified? Are symptoms getting worse again and people are now testing again over the past week?
Eh. Where in the world are you? What report are you looking at?

The UK, like most of the world, has pretty much stopped routine testing. It's only really hospital admissions and healthcare staff who are getting tested now. We know from the ONS survey that around 4/5% of the population would test positive for covid this week, but that measure hasn't been below 1% for months.

There is a surge in hospital admissions at the moment, caused by BA5, but the growth is tailing off now and (if the trend continues) could start falling next week.

DeGea’sFeet

Eh. Where in the world are you? What report are you looking at?

The UK, like most of the world, has pretty much stopped routine testing. It's only really hospital admissions and healthcare staff who are getting tested now. We know from the ONS survey that around 4/5% of the population would test positive for covid this week, but that measure hasn't been below 1% for months.

There is a surge in hospital admissions at the moment, caused by BA5, but the growth is tailing off now and (if the trend continues) could start falling next week.
Hopefully you’re right about it falling off. I heard cases were on the rises & noticed more disruption to daily services in the past week or so, didn’t connect it was people off due to covid thou, just had a bit of a heart attack when I checked the stats and saw 190,000 plus infections yesterday Vs 1000 last Friday.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Hopefully you’re right about it falling off. I heard cases were on the rises & noticed more disruption to daily services in the past week or so, didn’t connect it was people off due to covid thou, just had a bit of a heart attack when I checked the stats and saw 190,000 plus infections yesterday Vs 1000 last Friday.
Where did you see those numbers? Basically we are running at about 190k cases/day if you count all the cases (symptomatic and asymptomatic) if you use the ONS random survey and scale up the numbers to get a whole country figure but we haven't been down at 1000 since early 2020

DeGea’sFeet

Where did you see those numbers?
The Google chart page. They show daily infections, 7 day average, deaths, and can also show hospitalisations. The data comes from “Our World in Data” who i think takes it from various gov & health sites.