SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Heads up to all the (Republic) Irish - my girlfriend got a call from her mother (who works in child care), she got a call from the guards saying the country will more than likely be on full lockdown from 11 tomorrow
I heard an internet rumour that the army would be enforcing a lockdown for 14 days

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Well the likes of Tesco have no backstock and only London deliveries are distribution centre sourced, the rest pick from stores which themselves are empty already.

I don't think people appreciate that they're hoarding from those actually at need.

Oh They definately dont, this whole thing is just showing up how thoughtless and self centred people are.

I went to asda today and an Indian family had 2 trolleys and they were full of nappies and nothing else. I swear they must've had over 300 nappies in total, it's absolutely ridiculous how people are reacting but like I say it's funny watching the morons panicking for no reason.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Heads up to all the (Republic) Irish - my girlfriend got a call from her mother (who works in child care), she got a call from the guards saying the country will more than likely be on full lockdown from 11 tomorrow
So they're fully locking down the country at 11 tomorrow but people will still be allowed to fly in from virus-stricken Spain until Thursday? Some lockdown.

redshaw

Apparently Spain have tested 30k, been said on Spanish TV by the Health Minister today. 7800 cases and 292 dead so far. UK has done 40k.

Skills

Snitch
So they're locking down the country at 11 tomorrow but people will still be allowed to fly in from virus-stricken Spain until Thursday? Some lockdown.
Tbf you can't stop your own nationals flying back home. But it's mental how they've been letting people fly out for so long. Another example of short term-ism.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I went into Cardiff yesterday for a meal and it was incredible how busy it was.

Unfortunately, as Brits it's in our nature in the event of a crisis to just head to the pub.
You do realise what you just said there?

‘I went out and it was incredible how many people did exactly what I fcuking did’

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf you can't stop your own nationals flying back home. But it's mental how they've been letting people fly out for so long. Another example of short term-ism.
Really? What are they going to do after Thursday then?

Skills

Snitch
Apparently Spain have tested 30k, been said on Spanish TV by the Health Minister today. 7800 cases and 292 dead so far. UK has done 40k.
I think Spain (and Italy's) cases have been quite localised - similar to China. It means they can concentrate their testing around Madrid and Lombardy respectively rather than trying to chase shadows. It's why they're getting a high hit rate - but it can end up helping them a bit, as in they can then re-direct resources to where they desperately need them and having a localised strict lockdown.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
1. There is absolutely no guarantee that just because you are not high risk group, it won't kill you
2. If you get it, you will still need to get medical care, meaning you will be taking up resources at a hospital, and can still infect people including medical staff. There is no such thing as 100% safety. Plus if enough people start thinking like you - we are up for a complete disaster. Think about that.
3. If you can isolate yourself, the best thing to do is to not get it. Don't listen to Gebelsian morons saying that the solution here is to infect 40% of population. The solution is to slow the spread as much as possible and meanwhile develop vaccines, which is what most people should get. Anybody advocating for intentional infection of people (e.g. certain UK official insinuating) should in my opinion go to jail.
Point no.2 you say if you get it you will require medical care and take up hospital resource, I thought if you got it you just had to stay at home?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve Have you heard of the rumors that a curfew will be set in France with the army/police enforcing it ? I guess too many morons still gather in large numbers
I don't think so, some dodgy site report it though. Where I am it's been very calm since Thursday, there is significantly less circulation.

Skills

Snitch
Anyone on meet-up? Still a stupid number of them being organised. The app needs to get a hold of it and stop organisers from putting them on.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Oh They definately dont, this whole thing is just showing up how thoughtless and self centred people are.

I went to asda today and an Indian family had 2 trolleys and they were full of nappies and nothing else. I swear they must've had over 300 nappies in total, it's absolutely ridiculous how people are reacting but like I say it's funny watching the morons panicking for no reason.
If I had seen those twats I would’ve knocked them clean the feck out. We are due to run out of nappies in the next day or so. The wife is besides herself with worry.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's a realistic scenario post-lockdowns? Can the virus spread again at the rates we've witnessed pre-lockdowns?

In other words, what's the chance this virus keeps coming back aggressively, and how often would we need such lockdowns?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yea there is a rumour spreading on whatsapp.

Some on the boards saying it is false although a lockdown will eventually have to happen at some point, bar the big shops and pharmacies.

I presume the GP is open too.
The amount of stupid fecking rumours that have gone around on whatsapp at this point is beyond ridiculous. How the hell have people lived in the internet era for so long with learning anything about the reliability of sources? It's like herd immunity has developed for basic critical thinking.

The Gardai and Defence Forces are gonna have a tough enough time over the next few months without people spreading panic and misinformation about what they're doing. People need to grow the feck up.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So how far is that German company with the vaccine? Sounds like very close considering US and many other drugs companies must all be going at it hammer and tongs yet Trump wants to usurp this one.

[Spoiler - dark humour] wouldn't be surprised if one or two company directors were inexplicably found hanging in the woods with hastily written suicide notes, eh Tony B?

redshaw

Herd immunity is a when population is vaccinated, this UK situation is bonkers, worse when we know that same people can be infected twice
UK is not doing herd immunity

It was mentioned as a byproduct. They've said it's not part of the plan. The false narrative has gone global though.

Dante

Average bang
What's a realistic scenario post-lockdowns? Can the virus spread again at the rates we've witnessed pre-lockdowns?

In other words, what's the chance this virus keeps coming back aggressively, and how often would we need such lockdowns?
It's going to be like chicken pox. C19 is a part of our world now. Lockdowns lifted without herd immunity will lead to resurgences to some degree.

Skills

Snitch

Well the idea with a lockdown is that you slow the spread enough to get care to everyone that needs it, reduce the number of active cases to somewhere close to double digits (which is much easier the earlier you start) and identify those active cases. Now you won't be able to identify all of them, but you can do a pretty good job.

It also buys you a bit more time for an antiviral to come in play and develop a more sophisticated but less extreme way of social distancing - which still has society functioning. Basically put in place measures that China have done it other parts of the country.

Classical Mechanic

The chance that it will come back is almost certain. How many lockdowns would be needed before a vaccine is unknown.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rumours circulating that Ireland is heading for a severe lock down next week possibly tuesday or wednesday.
Whilst the north east of the island just does whatever the feck it wants. It's like having an operation to cut a malignant tumour but leaving a quarter of it in your body cause feck it...

Woodzy

You do realise what you just said there?

‘I went out and it was incredible how many people did exactly what I fcuking did’
While there’s obviously a risk either way, theres a huge difference going out for a quiet meal compared to small bars packed with hundreds of people.

C'est Moi Cantona

Massive chance surely, I can understand it to buy some time for a vaccine, but it's not the solution without it.

fallengt

- Noone can tell. China locked down Wuhan pretty early and still, virus almost collapsed thier health system. We hadnt seen result until 2 weeks ago. They now have fewer new cases than most regions in EU.
- The virus will come back, like seasonal flu. Just hope most people get vaccinated by then.

JP77

Looking for some advice as I'm not sure how to go about things.

My son's got a few of the symptoms currently and I've had a few symptoms for the last few days too. 111 told the missus earlier to keep him self isolated for the next 7 days and that's pretty much it unless he gets a severe fever or more. The problem for us is we have no idea if it's the virus or a completely standard cold where we're just over thinking it because of everything going on, which we may be. To be safe though we're keeping our son off school all week like 111 told is to and at home.

My issue is that I'm supposed to be at work all week. For all I know I have a standard cold, the problem is, do I go into work and risk it? Tbh I want to be at home this week with the missus and kids to look after them, I can't really afford to though. I work in a Warehouse so no chance of working from home and I can't afford to just say feck it, I'll take the week off. I'm caught in the middle of needing the money but also needing to support for son while he's not well but also be careful just in case I do have it, and without testing, how the feck am I supposed to know if I do? It's just a case of be safe and self isolate...but if I do that I'm expected to.lose 500+ quid this week? How the feck am I supposed to survive and support my family losing that amount of money?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Whilst the north east of the island just does whatever the feck it wants. It's like having an operation to cut a malignant tumour but leaving a quarter of it in your body cause feck it...

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Im head of PE at a very large primary school and myself, and my Pe team who are all self employed, plus the 40-50 staff and 800 + children will be in as normal tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I’ve just actually had a roast and few drinks in a local pubs alongside a lot of the parents. Luckily we live and work in a very affluent and likeminded area, not mass panic. People doing as they’re told and getting on with it whilst getting on with life too.
Thanks for the post. Awesome when people identify themselves as being the ones to pop on ignore.

Revan

Assumptionman

The most likely scenario is that the virus is going to be endemic, and come and go for the foreseeable future.

If there are vaccines and anti-virals, it will probably be just another flu. Until then, it is gonna be much worse.

2020 and 2021 are gonna be terrible years. Hopefully, by mid-end 2021, some normality would have been returned.

Another option would be 'feck it, let's get herd immunity' which is what happened more or less for the Spanish flu. It would probably kill like crazy for a year and then mutate to something less lethal. I prefer social distancing until we have a vaccine and anti-virals though.

stepic

My son's got a few of the symptoms currently and I've had a few symptoms for the last few days too. 111 told the missus earlier to keep him self isolated for the next 7 days and that's pretty much it unless he gets a severe fever or more. The problem for us is we have no idea if it's the virus or a completely standard cold where we're just over thinking it because of everything going on, which we may be. To be safe though we're keeping our son off school all week like 111 told is to and at home.

My issue is that I'm supposed to be at work all week. For all I know I have a standard cold, the problem is, do I go into work and risk it? Tbh I want to be at home this week with the missus and kids to look after them, I can't really afford to though. I work in a Warehouse so no chance of working from home and I can't afford to just say feck it, I'll take the week off. I'm caught in the middle of needing the money but also needing to support for son while he's not well but also be careful just in case I do have it, and without testing, how the feck am I supposed to know if I do? It's just a case of be safe and self isolate...but if I do that I'm expected to.lose 500+ quid this week? How the feck am I supposed to survive and support my family losing that amount of money?
Does your employer not have any sick leave or Corona related policies in place?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

No.

I understand the financial pressures but unfortunately, and I don't mean to sound harsh, public health trumps all. You can return after a 7 day self-isolation. Surprised you can't take 5-7 days off without getting paid though...