SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

OleBoiii

I read that regular seasonal flu kills up to 600,000 people worldwide each year. How much worse is this so far in comparison?
The common flu kills about 0.1% of the infected(usually the old or weak). This seems to kill around 1-3% of the infected(also old and weak people, usually). So it's somewhere between 10 and 30 times as lethal.

Devil81

Got Dubai booked for a family holiday in May, not holding much hope it's going to happen at this point.

The missus is shitting herself about the idea of boarding a enclosed plane for 6 hours and I suspect we could be looking at travel restrictions all over the world come May.

It's all very scary really, its either being massively exaggerated by the media or its being underplayed through fear of mass panic.

The fact they are locking people in hotels is a major cause for concern. Also a bloody hospital built in 8 days in China.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
For most people yeah. But if you have older parents/grandparents it might not be like that for them.
Also lots of the people who've lost their lives to this aren't actually that old / ill...

A fecking 25 year old nurse died from it yesterday. And lots of the Chinese doctors / health officials that died of it were in their 40s / 50s, and were otherwise healthy.

It may be much worse statistically for older folk - but this virus IS killing younger healthy people too.

All of these people, real human beings who deserved better.

These deaths could've been prevented - and people need to be held responsible where applicable.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Got Dubai booked for a family holiday in May, not holding much hope it's going to happen at this point.

The missus is sitting herself about the idea of boarding a enclosed plane for 6 hours and I suspect we could be looking at travel restrictions all over the world come May.

It's all very scary really, its either being massively exaggerated by the media or its being underplayed through fear of mass panic.

The fact they are locking people in hotels is a major cause for concern. Also a bloody hospital built in 8 days in China.
I love the quote "people fear things they don't understand". I think the lockdowns are happening because most people don't know how else to react and its the best form of stopping it from spreading. I don't think they're a cause for fear. Had we stopped all travel to and from China, the virus simply wouldnt have spread.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Also lots of the people who've lost their lives to this aren't actually that old / ill...

A fecking 25 year old nurse died from it yesterday. And lots of the Chinese doctors / health officials that died of it were in their 40s / 50s, and were otherwise healthy.

It may be much worse statistically for older folk - but this virus IS killing younger healthy people too.

These deaths could've been prevented - and people need to be held responsible where applicable.
In fairness, we're not fully aware of their history and health. In Italy, for instance, everyone who has passed has been over 80 (iirc).

Devil81

Been looking at a few holidays end of March, April and end of May/start of June.

starting to think would be best to hold off for now!
You'd be insane to book a holiday anywhere.

Everyone I know going away over the next few months have been in contact with there travel provider in panic. Insane thing is people could be dropping dead left right and centre and as long as the government don't block flights to a certain place they are within their rights to not pay you back. Its basically travel at your own risk or lose your holiday.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I'm pretty sure the Chinese air has something to do with it, considering its a respitory virus.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You'd be insane to book a holiday anywhere.

Everyone I know going away over the next few months have been in contact with there travel provider in panic. Insane thing is people could be dropping dead left right and centre and as long as the government don't block flights to a certain place they are within their rights to not pay you back. Its basically travel at your own risk or lose your holiday.
I'm travelling to Israel and Jordan in 2 weeks and not really concerned - the chance I get it there isn't suddenly higher than the chance I'm getting it here in Belgium.

Devil81

I'm travelling to Israel and Jordan in 2 weeks and not really concerned - the chance I get it there isn't suddenly higher than the chance I'm getting it here in Belgium.
I'd be more Confident if I was travelling in the next few weeks but come May this could be an even bigger problem.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'd be more Confident if I was travelling in the next few weeks but come May this could be an even bigger problem.
Or it could be a lot better by then - I don't think so either to be honest but no one knows at this point so I just think it's pointless to get worried about it (although understandable of course).

Devil81

Or it could be a lot better by then - I don't think so either to be honest but no one knows at this point so I just think it's pointless to get worried about it (although understandable of course).
I know you say understandable of course but the reality is the travel industry is going to take an insane hit over the coming months so I doubt they will be happily handing out refunds to families concerned about flying.

I've got a friend booked to go to Thailand with his family in the next few weeks, that's on the advised self quarenteen list. They are advising 14 days isolation on return.

He's got two kids and he's obviously worried and devastated his dream holiday is looking like a bloody disaster.

starman

We are moments away from hearing about the virus from the ramblings of a mad man, who previously brought us such hits as "windmill's cause cancer" and "nuking hurricanes".

I suspect he will say he knows more about viruses than anybody and suggests adding bleach to the water supply...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We are moments away from hearing about the virus from the ramblings of a mad man, who previously brought us such hits as "windmill's cause cancer" and "nuking hurricanes".

I suspect he will say he knows more about viruses than anybody and suggests adding bleach to the water supply...

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm buying latex gloves tomorrow and putting my black gloves over them everytime I go out. Using only contactless and one card in the shop. Buying disinfectants for my house keys etc. Leaving my phone at home for short trips to the shop.
Nitrile is more fun and you can get them in black, which is supercool. Although people will think you're a serial killer.

I like these ones, they have a diamond grip pattern on them that is much better than a smooth glove:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
In fairness, we're not fully aware of their history and health. In Italy, for instance, everyone who has passed has been over 80 (iirc).
I'm afraid that's not quite so, a man of 62 has died now.

onemanarmy

Off topic, but I'm planning the same trip later this year, if you can send me your itinerary if you planned it yourself (or where you booked this trip), much appreciated...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nitrile is more fun and you can get them in black, which is supercool. Although people will think you're a serial killer.

I like these ones, they have a diamond grip pattern on them that is much better than a smooth glove:

They are pretty cool. Bet they cost 10 times as much though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Honestly, when it sounds like a sales pitch, looks like a sales pitch and even comes with sponsors... stay the feck away.
It's a podcast -- it has sponsors.