SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
With so many tourists in Lisbon and a considerable chinese community I'm amazed we still have zero cases in Portugal. Our healthcare system has been suffering because of the austerity measures and I've heard a number of experts saying we're nowhere near being ready to deal with this.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
With so many tourists in Lisbon and a considerable chinese community I'm amazed we still have zero cases in Portugal. Our healthcare system has been suffering because of the austerity measures and I've heard a number of experts saying we're nowhere near being ready to deal with this.
Same in U.K - we've sat by and passively allowed our healthcare system to receive less and less funding to the point of them being under everyday pressure... the notion of the current NHS dealing with this is genuinely terrifying.

If there are buildings in London being quarantined, surely, for the sake of the Healthcare system, let alone the population, the smart thing to do now is admit that the slowing down of the virus is really the only thing they can do to ease pressure and try and provide the best care for the nation?

Basically just suspend / pause everything - schools, sporting events, flights - just do what they should've done weeks ago, lock everything down.

Schools / Universities could simply send work home. Flights get grounded and suspended in the case of Natural Disasters.

And that's essentially what this is, despite the reluctance in the West to admit it - a Natural Disaster. We're just not used to these things actually affecting us... we need to act, now.

stepic

How is it not rational? You can think it came from somewhere else but I don’t understand why it would be dismissed with such surety.
because there is no evidence to support the claims. next thing you'll be telling me believing in god is rational.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
You guys have Doctor @Arruda, he can heal 10 patients per minute and has a hot girlfriend.

Lee565

Don't bring that rubbish into it.

Eating Pigs/Cows/Sheep is vastly different than snakes and bats ffs.
Wasnt sars another virus originating from animals that were being kept for the meat trade and swine flu was a similar thing?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
because there is no evidence to support the claims. next thing you'll be telling me believing in god is rational.
There's no evidence, hence 'believes' rather than 'knows'. Not sure what God has to do with a perfectly rational connection. Thinking that there is absolutely no chance of it being from there because there's currently no evidence is a daft stance to take. Of course there's a possibility. It's literally either the place that researches viruses or a market.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Same in U.K - we've sat by and passively allowed our healthcare system to receive less and less funding to the point of them being under everyday pressure... the notion of the current NHS dealing with this is genuinely terrifying.
I think a lot of european countries who have neglected their healthcare services are about to witness very directly why austerity costs lives.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasnt sars another virus originating from animals that were being kept for the meat trade and swine flu was a similar thing?
Animals are living creatures so yes they'll carry strain of viruses.

The issue is they aren't killing these animals in a sanitary manner. They'll leave blood laying around all over the place in these markets and not clean up properly.

It's not a surprise the majority of these issues start in a place that has such little control over it's hygeine.

Eating the meat isn't the issue, it's the blood.

Fener1907

In danger of? We have people suggesting China is trying to start a war by infecting it’s own people, for feck sakes.
They also then made them stay home because everybody knows a virus it at its deadliest when people aren't coming into contact with each other.

Brilliant, China, utterly brilliant.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Reading this thread this morning I started to get a bit of a sore throat, a need to blow my nose and then cough. But I feel better now.

I'm tending to want to believe that whatever this virus is that it doesn't appear to be coming close to the infection/death rates that the Influenza Pandemic at the end of WWI achieved. I have a suppressed Immune System, so I have to be sensible but not panic, yet.
It's difficult to determine genuine gravity from click bait hysteria isn't it? There's no doubt this is a serious situation but I think it makes sense to be calm about it for now. Either way, if you're high risk with regular flu, look after yourself pal.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

If there are buildings in London being quarantined, surely, for the sake of the Healthcare system, let alone the population, the smart thing to do now is admit that the slowing down of the virus is really the only thing they can do to ease pressure and try and provide the best care for the nation?

Basically just suspend / pause everything - schools, sporting events, flights - just do what they should've done weeks ago, lock everything down.

Schools / Universities could simply send work home. Flights get grounded and suspended in the case of Natural Disasters.

And that's essentially what this is, despite the reluctance in the West to admit it - a Natural Disaster. We're just not used to these things actually affecting us... we need to act, now.
Two weeks of lockdown would almost completely stop it from spreading and would allow better and easier identification of all the cases. But why would we do that?

As you say, now, when its not that bad, is the time to act.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's difficult to determine genuine gravity from click bait hysteria isn't it? There's no doubt this is a serious situation but I think it makes sense to be calm about it for now. Either way, if you're high risk with regular flu, look after yourself pal.
I think what's happening in Italy is that they are doing more testing than anyone outside the country apart from maybe China, this means more positives so far. They can't yet make a link from Patient Zero though apparently.

I'm not going out at all but I still have to send @Penna out for supplies. I shall have to cut off contact with her apart from tea and food being passed to me on a long stick.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think what's happening in Italy is that they are doing more testing than anyone outside the country apart from maybe China, this means more positives so far. They can't yet make a link from Patient Zero though apparently.

I'm not going out at all but I still have to send @Penna out for supplies. I shall have to cut off contact with her apart from tea and food being passed to me on a long stick.
She is going to curse at your a like motherfecking sailor

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Worrying to think that the Italian reports might be more representative than other countries then.

@Grinner will be there soon, tossing Tunes and Vics to the masses like some demented pope. I'm sure between him and @Penna you'll be just fine!

bleedred

If it spreads to UK, i think there should be a lock down including scrapping this years PL.:devil:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Got back from abroad myself (not China tbf) and been bed bound for days. Can't remember ever being this sick since I was a kid. Doc confirmed it's influenza, so while not the corona virus it seems whatever is in the air is probably facilitating the spread of all forms of flu. Maybe just a coincidence I guess. Honestly been feeling like bullet in my brain would have been more humane than what I've been feeling thus far.

Hope everyone manages to stay healthy as much as possible.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Got back from abroad myself (not China tbf) and been bed bound for days. Can't remember ever being this sick since I was a kid. Doc confirmed it's influenza, so while not the corona virus it seems whatever is in the air is probably facilitating the spread of all forms of flu. Maybe just a coincidence I guess. Honestly been feeling like bullet in my brain would have been more humane than what I've been feeling thus far.

Nah. It's flu season (generally runs from November through March). Travelling, whether inside your own country or internationally, increases your risk of catching the flu, partly because people feel obligated to travel even when they are seriously ill.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Funny, I was bed bound today too. Harsh times.