SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

ManchesterYoda

Dr. Vladimir (Zev) Zelenko

Board Certified Family Practitioner

501 Rt 208, Monroe, NY 10950

845-238-0000

March 23, 2020

To all medical professionals around the world:

My name is Dr. Zev Zelenko and I practice medicine in Monroe, NY. For the last 16 years, I have cared for approximately 75% of the adult population of Kiryas Joel, which is a very close knit community of approximately 35,000 people in which the infection spread rapidly and unchecked prior to the imposition of social distancing.

As of today my team has tested approximately 200 people from this community for Covid-19, and 65% of the results have been positive. If extrapolated to the entire community, that means more than 20,000 people are infected at the present time. Of this group, I estimate that there are 1500 patients who are in the high-risk category (i.e. >60, immunocompromised, comorbidities, etc).

Given the urgency of the situation, I developed the following treatment protocol in the pre-hospital setting and have seen only positive results:

1. Any patient with shortness of breath regardless of age is treated.
2. Any patient in the high-risk category even with just mild symptoms is treated.

3. Young, healthy and low risk patients even with symptoms are not treated (unless their circumstances change and they fall into category 1 or 2).

My out-patient treatment regimen is as follows:

1. Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
2. Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days

3. Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days

The rationale for my treatment plan is as follows. I combined the data available from China and South Korea with the recent study published from France (sites available on request). We know that hydroxychloroquine helps Zinc enter the cell. We know that Zinc slows viral replication within the cell. Regarding the use of azithromycin, I postulate it prevents secondary bacterial infections. These three drugs are well known and usually well tolerated, hence the risk to the patient is low.

Since last Thursday, my team has treated approximately 350 patients in Kiryas Joel and another 150 patients in other areas of New York with the above regimen.

Of this group and the information provided to me by affiliated medical teams, we have had ZERO deaths, ZERO hospitalizations, and ZERO intubations. In addition, I have not heard of any negative side effects other than approximately 10% of patients with temporary nausea and diarrhea.

In sum, my urgent recommendation is to initiate treatment in the outpatient setting as soon as possible in accordance with the above. Based on my direct experience, it prevents acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), prevents the need for hospitalization and saves lives.

With much respect,

Dr. Zev Zelenko

cc: President Donald J. Trump; Mr. Mark Meadows, Chief of Staff

I remember seeing Dr Zelenko talk about this treatment days ago. I think it's disgusting that people are trying to shove this under the carpet. Some governors are even banning it. The below tweet sums it up best.

Dante

Average bang

"You will all be fine"

I don't think this is a guy you can trust when he's making such definitive statements about something so difficult to predict. He seems like an attention seeker.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

I remember seeing Dr Zelenko talk about this treatment days ago. I think it's disgusting that people are trying to shove this under the carpet. Some governors are even banning it. The below tweet sums it up best.

Sorry for asking but are you a qanon guy?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think in the south its probably true, I dont see it in the north though.

A lot cant get government help because they've spent their whole lives dodging tax, and now theyre moaning they're stuck indoors when nearly 1000 people a day are dying because of this? There are bigger things going on.
I posted about it yesterday. Many people in the south of Italy live hand-to-mouth with undeclared income. When the shops, bars and markets closed, they had nothing in their pockets and no official record of employment.

It's not being stir-crazy that's the problem, it's starvation.

Withnail

"You will all be fine"

I don't think this is a guy you can trust when he's making such definitive statements about something so difficult to predict. He seems like an attention seeker.
He uses the word likely and it's true from what we've seen.

Young people in general don't get severe symptoms and the vast vast majority don't need treatment.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
They have haven’t they? At least they’re all self isolating like everyone else.
Furlough is different. It's a temporary lay off on 80% salary paid by government. It has nothing to do with self isolating

Dante

Average bang
Now that it'll start staying sunny later into the evening, the lockdown is going to feel even more depressing than it has done so far.

Munkehboi

Well it's official. They've told my wife they're a “Covid unit” now
Good luck to her! My ward and almost all wards in my hospital have been made covid units now. I think we will see this in most hospitals in the coming weeks.

Just finished my 8th shift in 11 days and to put it bluntly things are getting worse. Here's a little insight:

Day 1-2: On my first couple days I was hearing of confirmd cases from other wards, areas but still working on my acute medical ward. No suspected cases for me, just another day.
Day 3-4: Had a day off and came back to be moved to Covid-19 triage in ED. Saw on average 12-13 patients a day. Only 2 patients we suspected of Covid-19 but they were not unwell enough to admit so sent them home.
Day 5-6: Been told my ward is closed. Being refurbed and prepared to be a covid-19 unit. All our patients moved into a holding ward where I was also transferred to work. Hearing of multiple deaths from Covid-19 now.
Day 7: Moved to a Covid-19 unit to learn about how we are treating Covid-19 patients, PPE procedures and general experience to feedback to the team. First time in contact with diagnosed positive patients.
Day 8: Moved back to my ward. We are fully Covid-19 now. Only three of us on, two nurses and an HCA. We opened with no patients but full to capacity within 4 hours. We are a 28 bed ward but due to Covid-19 everyone has to be isolated so we only have capacity for 8 patients, 4 bays and 4 siderooms. This will change if we have more than one confirmed positive patient as they can be cohorted together in a bay. All our patients tested and suspected and waiting for results.

Talking to a dcotor, around 70% of their handover from this morning are suspected Covid-19. Now a very small % will be posistive however, any type of cough, spike in temp or respiratory issue is being treated as suspected. For example I have a young person on my ward, 20 year old with tonsillitis, spiked a fever 38c. Lookig quite well, very chatty - now suspected Covid-19. This person will go home today. The whole hospital is full of it now. Other wards are closing to be made into Covid-19 areas. 12 more deaths in the night - its really ramping up now. We are suddenly seeing a lot more confirmed cases but It feels really real now.

I usually treat alot of CCF, CKD, pnuemonia/HAP/CAP/LRTI patients. The latter patients will be made as suspected Covid-19 but I just want to know where the hell have all my CCF and CKD patients gone? They have literally vanished from our hospital and not being admitted.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

Could you tell me which governors (singular or plural) are banning it? As far as I can tell state health authorities are suggesting caution in a clinical setting and recommend preventing off label prescriptions in order to prevent hoarding. They seem to be waiting for confirmation that it's useful and at what dose that is. This is what competent people do.

The tweet you say "says it best" seems on its face to be completely moronic. France changing its recommendations in the light of fresh and evaluated medical evidence is precisely the action it should be taking.

finneh

Furlough is different. It's a temporary lay off on 80% salary paid by government. It has nothing to do with self isolating
For two reasons I'd imagine. Firstly a player would be entitled to seek alternative employment whilst furloughed. Secondly the cap paid for by the government is £2k per month, which for someone on a few dozen times this every week would be a somewhat irrelevant return.

I'm sure in the lower leagues the situation would be different.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Could you tell me which governors (singular or plural) are banning it? As far as I can tell state health authorities are suggesting caution in a clinical setting and recommend preventing off label prescriptions in order to prevent hoarding. They seem to be waiting for confirmation that it's useful and at what dose that is. This is what competent people do.

The tweet you say "says it best" seems on its face to be completely moronic. France changing its recommendations in the light of fresh and evaluated medical evidence is precisely the action it should be taking.
Yeah, France never banned it. The first tweet is partially based on two french trial from the professor Raoult and the health ministry, the breaking news is old and incorrect, the news that is it advises to use it only on serious cases until further trials are concluded that was on March 23th.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
For two reasons I'd imagine. Firstly a player would be entitled to seek alternative employment whilst furloughed. Secondly the cap paid for by the government is £2k per month, which for someone on a few dozen times this every week would be a somewhat irrelevant return.

Thanks. Makes complete sense now.

Nogbadthebad

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Guardian missing the point again.

These deaths are from people infected before the lockdown.

We don't know what the lockdown has achieved so far.

All they tell is is the effect of not locking down earlier, not harder.
It's the same thing that happened in Italy.

arnie_ni

You can't work if furloughed. And its 2.5k per month

Blackwidow

When it regards graphs about the development of the different countries I like the following:

The x-axis shows the confirmed cases per 100,000 inhabits, the y-axis the deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. The little numbers near the flags tell the number of days the cases have doubled recently.

finneh

arnie_ni

Which of the following do you disagree with?

The maximum amount the government will contribute is £2000 per month.

If your employer is looking to furlough you, you can refuse and instead seek employment elsewhere?
Its 80 percent up 2.5k per the guidance

The employee can turn down furlough, but if they agree to furlough they cant work.

If they turn it down, theyd either have to quit or be made redundant to work elsewhere. Unless they work a 2nd job, footballers wont be made redundant at least not at the pl level and they wont quit.

Edit re the payment i see what your saying now. If what your saying is correct our employer has advised us wrong

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When it regards graphs about the development of the different countries I like the following:

The x-axis shows the confirmed cases per 100,000 inhabits, the y-axis the deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. The little numbers near the flags tell the number of days the cases have doubled recently.
That’s the best graph like this I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing. The number of cases has become more or less useless to compare countries but adding the deaths/100k gives a really useful perspective.

arnie_ni

Which of the following do you disagree with?

The maximum amount the government will contribute is £2000 per month.

If your employer is looking to furlough you, you can refuse and instead seek employment elsewhere?

The employee can turn down furlough, but if they agree to furlough they cant work.

If they turn it down, theyd either have to quit or be made redundant to work elsewhere. Unless they work a 2nd job, footballers wont be made redundant at least not at the pl level and they wont quit.

Edit re the payment i see what your saying now. If what your saying is correct our employer has advised us wrong
Legal document:

offering employers grants from HMRC to cover 80 per cent of the wages of staff who are on the payroll but not working because of the outbreak, up to a maximum of £2,500 per worker per month.

To me that means the maximum grant is 2.5k

Edit again, another legal docu

What is included in the £2500?

It includes "all employment costs". Although no further details have been given yet, it is possible that this will include employer's National Insurance contributions. The position in relation to employer pension contributions is not yet clear and we are waiting for further guidance from the government.

finneh

Our business has been advised it's 80% of the £2500 cap (or £2k max), not 80% of £3125. The government website is vague but Sunak did say it was 80% of UK median earnings, which is around £30k per annum (not £37.5k)

Footballers would absolutely quit if their salaries were reduced by a factor of up to several hundred.

arnie_ni

Our business has been advised it's 80% of up to £2500 (or £2k max), not 80% of £3125. The government website is vague but Sunak did say it was 80% of UK median earnings, which is around £30k per annum (not £37.5k)

Footballers would absolutely quit if their salaries were reduced by a factor of up to several hundred.
Thats not my reading of it at all or what my employer took it to be.

Theyd just say no to furlough and make their pl team pay them redundancy and then be free of it. They wouldnt quit, footballers contracts wouldnt let them quit without paying millions back

finneh

Thats not my reading of it at all or what my employer took it to be.

Theyd just say no to furlough and make their pl team pay them redundancy and then be free of it. They wouldnt quit, footballers contracts wouldnt let them quit without paying millions back
Footballers contracts also wouldn't allow them to have their salaries slashed by a factor of 700 without reprieve.

If their employers sought to do so they'd have cause to repudiate the contract and seek employment elsewhere.