SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Sounds like he led an interesting life.

my father-in-law, who is 81, has led a very interesting life too. Left home when he was young after his mum died, no one would look after him so he came down to England from Scotland, joined the army. Ended up in the SAS, then the firebrigade for 30 years and after retirement then became a driver for a few years for the cabinet office. Doesn’t talk much about his army years at all. He was on duty the night there was the horrific fire in the London Underground in the 80s? Doesn’t talk about that much either.
Does talk a bit more about a few of the scallywag MPs he used to ferry about
I bet he'd have some great stories to tell. I always wanted to know more from dad, but I think the experience affected him profoundly and we knew never to ask anything, even as kids. He was no adventurer, he was a placid, bookish man, but they had no choice back then.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Lots of people out and about over Easter around here but mostly groups of two from what I could tell and police seemed pretty lenient in general. Tracking data shows that the mobility of the population has been steadily increasing. This photo pretty much sums it up:

Wow... How do these people not feel paranoid as feck?! Not one mask? Was this definitely taken this weekend?

worldgonemad

And that is how you feck all the work done on the quarantine. Letting the none essential workers back to work. Barcelona metro this morning

That picture is scary. This is on a bank holiday too i take it? I hope to god this doesn't trigger another spike in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Is this relaxing of lockdown nationwide or just in Barcelona?

Sparky Rhiwabon

That picture is scary. This is on a bank holiday too i take it? I hope to god this doesn't trigger another spike in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Is this relaxing of lockdown nationwide or just in Barcelona?
Once the Gov't says that people can return to work, I assume that they will no longer pay the Furlough money so many people will have no choice

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

Wow... How do these people not feel paranoid as feck?! Not one mask? Was this definitely taken this weekend?
Photo was taken in Frankfurt on Friday. But you would have seen similar scenes in all cities across the country. I haven't seen too many people wearing them but making face masks mandatory in some places (such as public transport) is one of the things being discussed at the moment.

Actually, they are mandatory in some places (but this is up to local governments and city councils) such as farmers markets. But even then, it is very inconsistent and in my city for example this only applies to the biggest of these markets:

Last edited:

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
How can they allow rags like the Express to ask questions in a serious forum?
Because no-one is asking any serious questions anyway.

I stopped watching these briefings. Unless things have changed in the past few days the papers have been like they are owned by Boris and his ministers.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Today there are people that are on holiday, others no. Tomorrow will be worse. Nationwide. Today they allowed companies to start working again (no bars, no restaurants and so)

Was it completely empty a week back?
Only non essential workers were allowed to work a week ago and yeah, I saw some pictures with the metro empty

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The issue is more that it's a drug used for diseases like Lupus and there has been reports that some patients struggle to get it, all of that because a french doctor tried to make a name for himself. Clinical trials make total sense but the way he goes on twitter and sell his "research" is having bad consequences, he forced many countries to allocate a lot of money and energy on something that is showing little effect but because the press made it a miracle drug, everyone tries to debunk/confirm it in the most conclusive way.
https://www.lepoint.fr/sante/corona...raoult-12-04-2020-2371068_40.php#xtor=CS3-190

This study from the Montpellier CHU looks to try to go one step further and also include patient who are in advanced stages of diseases and with complications. We'll know soon enough I guess if Raoult is a misunderstood genius or a real fraud.

FireballXL5

I stopped watching these briefings. Unless things have changed in the past few days the papers have been like they are owned by Boris and his ministers.
They pretty much are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
https://www.lepoint.fr/sante/corona...raoult-12-04-2020-2371068_40.php#xtor=CS3-190

This study from the Montpellier CHU looks to try to go one step further and also include patient who are in advanced stages of diseases and with complications. We'll know soon enough I guess if Raoult is a misunderstood genius or a real fraud.
Raoult is a fraud but the study itself deserves to be done more seriously. The example that you gave is only a part of the Discovery program, several other CHUs have already started their trials.

Alabaster Codify7

Money. Countries will crumble if this goes on for ages.

Yep. Unfortunately guys, wake up and realise that very soon the vast majority of countries on the planet are going to be in the position where they have no choice. Remember that movie about the guy trapped under a rock who had to cut off his own arm with a knife to survive? That is what is coming, deal with it. If you're vulnerable/at risk and/or terrified of leaving the house, you won't be forced to. You might lose your job. It will be on you to weigh up the risk/reward of that situation and whether you can survive without one until you do feel comfortable entering the real world again. Those who are not at risk will be encouraged to re-enter the real world slowly but steadily. Otherwise, the planet crumbles - simple as that.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yep. Unfortunately guys, wake up and realise that very soon the vast majority of countries on the planet are going to be in the position where they have no choice. Remember that movie about the guy trapped under a rock who had to cut off his own arm with a knife to survive? That is what is coming, deal with it. If you're vulnerable/at risk and/or terrified of leaving the house, you won't be forced to. You might lose your job. It will be on you to weigh up the risk/reward of that situation and whether you can survive without one until you do feel comfortable entering the real world again. Those who are not at risk will be encouraged to re-enter the real world slowly but steadily. Otherwise, the planet crumbles - simple as that.
Thing is, you can still keep to social distancing if this happens, and it's totally upto you. Shopping would be difficult, but I think shops could still enforce it as they have been, but other than that, it's your choice to goto a pub, it's your choice to goto the park, it's your choice to do whatever.

The struggle will be for those who are working and can't socially distance, however I think companies will try their hardest to social distance in the work place for a good while yet.

Personally I'd probably take a risk of going golfing, but would stay away from the pubs and restaurants for a good while. Probably wouldn't have people round the house either for a while.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
The problem there is, what happens when the rules are relaxed and people start going back to work and school etc, then the infections rise again, sharper this time. Obviously it'll be lockdown again or just ride it out. Either way, you're either going to cripple the economy or cripple the NHS. So what do we do? Let everyone out, go the herd immunity route, face a massive influx of patients into hospitals, struggle and crumble under the strain, leading to maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths, lots of people sick and off work? It's a tough choice, and the economy is going to suffer either way.

The problem there is, what happens when the rules are relaxed and people start going back to work and school etc, then the infections rise again, sharper this time. Obviously it'll be lockdown again or just ride it out. Either way, you're either going to cripple the economy or cripple the NHS. So what do we do? Let everyone out, go the herd immunity route, face a massive influx of patients into hospitals, struggle and crumble under the strain, leading to maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths, lots of people sick and off work? It's a tough choice, and the economy is going to suffer either way.
I think some countries will be able to keep the infection rate low enough, even whilst opening up schools and shops.
Social distancing needs to continue though, for months.
Locking people in isn’t the only way to seriously slow the spread.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Well key workers are still having to goto work, people can still work from home too (this could be massive for the future tbh, working from home). Also it's shown a lot of the "vital" jobs in workplaces aren't even vital. Managers in meetings all day, no meetings now and nothing is different.

The things companies are doing to help can still be done at other places too I'd think, you're obviously going to struggle at bars, and clubs.

Restaurants might be able to do something with table space, just means less customers per sitting?

Cinemas usually not even full anyway, can have 2 seats between groups, and a row or 2 between also?

Drive in cinemas should make a comeback.

There's also going to be a ton of jobs where social distancing is going to be near impossible.

It's a hard thing to juggle, but we are going to have to at some point with a vaccine being so far away.

Member 90887

Marcon just said that french people are gonna have to stay at home for 4 more weeks.

France is gonna stay locked down till the 11th of may.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

I've watched the last two briefings -the first I've seen in yonks. The questions were decent tbf...the answers less so. Raab took a visible intake of breath when asked about Patel's non-apology (then ignored the question in his answer) and someone asked Vallance about his 'all going to plan' comment, querying if potentially the highest death toll in Europe was 'part of that plan'.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I've watched the last two briefings -the first I've seen in yonks. The questions were decent tbf...the answers less so. Raab took a visible intake of breath when asked about Patel's non-apology (then ignored the question in his answer) and someone asked Vallance about his 'all going to plan' comment, querying if potentially the highest death toll in Europe was 'part of that plan'.
They’d do well to watch how Sturgeon approaches her briefings and question answering.

Jippy

Staff
Thing is, you can still keep to social distancing if this happens, and it's totally upto you. Shopping would be difficult, but I think shops could still enforce it as they have been, but other than that, it's your choice to goto a pub, it's your choice to goto the park, it's your choice to do whatever.

The struggle will be for those who are working and can't socially distance, however I think companies will try their hardest to social distance in the work place for a good while yet.

Personally I'd probably take a risk of going golfing, but would stay away from the pubs and restaurants for a good while. Probably wouldn't have people round the house either for a while.
What about the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who rely on public transport to get to work?
There are also loads of jobs for which social distancing won't work.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What about the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who rely on public transport to get to work?
There are also loads of jobs for which social distancing won't work.
I think I brushed on that in my next post?

The rest of the world cant stop because some people rely on public transport? Those that do may need to consider other options? Hopefully work from home, work at a different location? Maybe the London tolls should be scrapped for now?

What do you suggest? Everyone just stays home forever?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The rest of the world cant stop because some people rely on public transport? Those that do may need to consider other options? Hopefully work from home, work at a different location? Maybe the London tolls should be scrapped for now?

I could be wrong but these "some" represents the majority?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I could be wrong but these "some" represents the majority?
Maybe, I'd think the majority then, such as London, Manchester the other big cities, some of these jobs could actually be done from home? Or other offices / locations maybe?

We can't just say "don't go back to work" full stop, that's ridiculous, we have to try and figure how to get the country back to semi functioning work, while still having a decent attempt at social distancing.

For example, my town, we are basically the grunts of the country, power plants, food factories, steel production and the like. Public transport is mainly used by old people / kids. Obviously others uses it, but I'd say the majority are those. I could see my town managing to go back to work with a decent effort at social distancing.

Atleast then that's less people on furlough, means the countries funds are slightly better, and back to more people paying the tax to extend the furlough for all Ionger for those that need it?

I could just be being completely thick mind, maybe I am just not adjusting well and want the normality back, but it's unrealistic for a total lockdown for too long.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What we will likely see is some measures continuing indefinitely while others are eventually eased. You'd expect different countries to have different approaches in terms of when they ease different measures, though you'd imagine all countries will prioritise removing the restrictions that cause the most societal & economic pain.

The key point seems to be what's raised in that German tweet, which is the organisation and supplies that will need to be in place for lifting lockdown to be successful. Countries like the UK & Ireland will really need to have heavily ramped up their testing & contact tracing programs before exiting lockdown becomes a possibility.

It's also hard to imagine that sporting events will be anywhere near the top of the list when it comes to what's allowed.

Jippy

Staff

I posted before I saw your second post on this.

No idea how you tackle this in a major city where the majority use public transport - up to 5 million passenger journeys on the tube a day.

Agree we can't stay home forever, but without a vaccine feck knows how we avoid second, third and so on waves of this.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Someone's Tweet said:
Bless him and bless all those ho died with Covid19, many of them have worked hard all their lives contributed to the country rather than growing dependent on will faire .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Let's all take a moment to bless all the ho's who died of COVID-19. They're truly doing God's work in these dark times.

Let's also say a little prayer for Will Faire, who seems unfairly maligned on Twitter.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
My generation is absolutely fecked. People who graduated in 2006-2009 in the middle of the great recession somehow built a career out of scraps, jumping jobs, learning new skills just to stay on the treadmill. Now just as these people are beginning to get out of student loan debt, looking to buy a house or start a family, a second and possibly deeper recession hits. What's the fecking point in picking up the pieces anymore? Life is terribly deflating.

Carolina Red

Staff
My generation is absolutely fecked. People who graduated in 2006-2009 in the middle of the great recession somehow built a career out of scraps, jumping jobs, learning new skills just to stay on the treadmill. Now just as these people are beginning to get out of student loan debt, looking to buy a house or start a family, a second and possibly deeper recession hits. What's the fecking point in picking up the pieces anymore? Life is terribly deflating.
Preach bro. HS Class of 2007 and “uni” Class of 2010 here.

It’s been nothing but rays of sunshine.