SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

bubbles_

Cheers. Do you wear masks all year round in the cities?
No, the pollution masks are pointless unless sealed correctly. Some people wear them on bad pollution days but that’s about it. Nothing like the mask wearing currently.

Nowadays, you need a mask to go into supermarkets etc but everything is still open for business. I went to see 1917, eat in a bbq restaurant and had a walk in the park today and there were lots of people around.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So my girlfriend is a nurse in Manchester and was working with a patient last week who subsequently ended up testing positive. in this period (before she found out her patient had tested positive) she travelled to my flat in London. Obviously this was a large cause of concern for us both. Anyway roll on a few days and she is told by her hospital (against the advice of 111 to come back into work this weekend, so of course she did. So it's been nearly a week since she first had contact with this positive patient and she doesn't seem to have picked up any symptoms. I on the other hand now have a cough and a really sore throat (nothing else symptom wise).

Do people think this could be a weird coincidence and I've just picked up a cold or could I have Corona Virus in a mild form? I worked at home Thursday - Friday last week but I'm feeling pressure to turn into work tomorrow. It's so frustrating not being able to get tested etc to find out if you have it. Can't even get my hands on a temperature gauge as they have already been cleared out of stores.
Unless primary and secondary care workers are being given different advice, you’re girlfriend was correctly instructed to return to work. NHS workers are expected to follow the same guidance as the public for self isolation currently. If you’re not symptomatic yourself, you’re not being told to self isolate simply because you have had contact with someone who has tested positive or is showing those symptoms.

The entire health service would be on its knees already if that was the case.

Neo_Mufc

Eh? On the one hand you're telling your mum and brother to "come home" because you want to be cautious. Then in the next breath you're saying you showed flu symptoms but are considering going into work tomorrow.

I'm pretty relaxed about the whole situation and am continuing with "normal" life (I'm taking precautions such as regular hand sanitizing etc etc) but if I showed even symptoms of a cold I'd be going nowhere near anyone for the foreseeable.
Yesterday I could feel some mild symptoms (higher temperature and tickly throat) but today I feel completely fine. Should I be staying at home?

fallengt

In 2009 we had an outbreak of H1N1 and 59 million of Americans got that and over 12000 died, media didn’t give a feck about it and we had toilet paper, 2020 a few thousand got the coronavirus about 50 died and let’s stop a country and no toilet paper. The bright side of this no lines to buy beer and I can start my spring work around the house since my schools closed for 2 weeks and no football.
Do you mind look up for 2009 swine flu's morality rate and compare it to 2019 corona-sars' morality rate?
In Italy it's already 6% but yea the lack of toilet paper is the only thing bothers you.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yesterday I could feel some mild symptoms (higher temperature and tickly throat) but today I feel completely fine. Should I be staying at home?
I certainly would be. My main worry over this is the vulnerable people I could pass it onto. I'd wanna be absolutely certain I was shot of it before I went near anyone else.

Adamsk7

Whenever the UK’s announcement is late I am expecting real bad news!

Adamsk7

I certainly would be. My main worry over this is the vulnerable people I could pass it onto. I'd wanna be absolutely certain I was shot of it before I went near anyone else.
That’s the problem - I felt a little hot and had a minor tickle and honestly, if I wasn’t already in isolation I don’t know what I’d do in that scenario!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Read a news report where a UK national tried to take off from India while he was awaiting the results of the COVID tests. He was in an Emirates flight assuming a connection to UK through Dubai. Now the Indian authorities have asked all 270 passengers onboard to be tested. The sad thing is, even if he passed on any infection, the results might not detect it at such an early stage. No idea why people behave like such idiots.

He should have stayed away from the airport, at the very least.

source: NDTV.COM
A very old relative of mine was on an Emirates flight from India and I got really worried. Thankfully it's not from Kochi.

This is crazy considering the relative demographics and associated risk

I posted it before but this twitter thread shows the mentality from the Villages in Florida. That *is* the GOP base - over-55 only, and 97% white.
(An article about the Villages is read by Bernie bros here for a better idea of their general politics).

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
UK population is 66 millions. To achieve herd immunity we need 60%(according to gov) of the herd to have antibodies. That's 39 millions people.
Even with 10,000+ new cases everyday (which is a lot), you'll need 11 years to reach that number. Does that sound like a feasible plan? Just think about it

Herd immunity is usually achieved through vaccination rather than natural infection.
Not commenting on herd immunity, just your statement about cases per day. If uncontrolled it’s entirely feasible that there would be significantly more than 10K cases a day.

But also remember the UK is now only testing people who need hospital treatment. This means, based on statistics, we would only be “confirming” 10% of cases.

Confirmed cases needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, not gospel of how many people actually have this thing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Unless primary and secondary care workers are being given different advice, you’re girlfriend was correctly instructed to return to work. NHS workers are expected to follow the same guidance as the public for self isolation currently. If you’re not symptomatic yourself, you’re not being told to self isolate simply because you have had contact with someone who has tested positive or is showing those symptoms.

The entire health service would be on its knees already if that was the case.
She was advised to self-isolate by 111 as the patient she was caring for turned out to be positive but her hospital (work) have told her seeing as he wasn't coughing she should come into work. I thought it all sounded slightly dodgy.

TrustInJanuzaj

I apologise as this must have been said to death but what are the symptoms? I've currently got headaches, really sore throat and coughing but otherwise don't feel constricted on my lungs or appear to have a fever. I'm worried I'm overreacting to a simple cold, mild flu, but equally, I really don't want to be that irresponsible guy that infects my whole office.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I apologise as this must have been said to death but what are the symptoms? I've currently got headaches, really sore throat and coughing but otherwise don't feel constricted on my lungs or appear to have a fever. I'm worried I'm overreacting to a simple cold, mild flu, but equally, I really don't want to be that irresponsible guy that infects my whole office.
Self isolate mate.

Adamsk7

Well if you have a cough the government advice is to self isolate for 7 days. No ifs or buts

RedTiger

Half mast
Really sore throat and coughing is one of the symptoms. Follow the NHS guidelines and self isolate for 7 days.

Fooza

With those symptoms you'll have to self isolat for 7 days no matter what it is, it''s if you have a cough or/and fever.

RedTiger

Half mast
Reactions: 2cents

Dante

Average bang
Yeah I know. a few people mentioned to me yesterday.

But...Germans can't be THAT young right? I read somewhere they had the 3rd oldest population in Europe or something.

There is some unknown anomalous protective factor going on.
Here are the deaths in Europe so far:
Country,TotalTotal
OtherCasesDeaths
Italy21,1571,441
Spain7,753291
France4,49991
UK1,14021
Netherlands1,13520
Switzerland2,21714
Germany5,42611
San Marino1015
Greece2284
Belgium8864
Norway1,2053
Poland1193
Denmark8642
Sweden1,0242
Ireland1292
Bulgaria432
Hungary321
Austria8001
Slovenia2191
Luxembourg591
Albania421

And here's a map of Europe showing the number of older people living with their kids.

Household infection is by far the biggest route for the spread of C19 (with up to 75-80%).

With Italy having so many older people living with young families, and Germany having so few, it was always going to hit the former harder (in terms of deaths per confirmed case).

Spain and Poland need to start isolating the 65+ very soon (if they haven't already).

fallengt

Not commenting on herd immunity, just your statement about cases per day. If uncontrolled it’s entirely feasible that there would be significantly more than 10K cases a day.
Then it'll overload health system and lot of people will die because they can't get treatment. Case in point Italy
It sounds like a hail mary to me. Basically they're praying for people to get mild symptoms only and don't seek for medical help unless it's serious

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really sore throat and coughing is one of the symptoms. Follow the NHS guidelines and self isolate for 7 days.
With those symptoms you'll have to self isolat for 7 days no matter what it is, it''s if you have a cough or/and fever.
Do you have a link to the most recent guidelines?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
These are the main symptoms, it's fairly unremarkable. Check your temperature.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Do you have a link to the most recent guidelines?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms
Stay at home for 7 days if you have either:

• a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
  • a new, continuous cough – this means you've started coughing repeatedly
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

Fergies Gum

Just seen some of the footage of all the panic buying going on. What an embarrassment the human race is.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If coughing, you need to self isolate for seven days: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ It does not matter if you have a fever, you only need one of the two symptoms.

Be clear and adamant with your work. It doesn’t matter if it turns out you overreacted. You are doing the right thing.

Classical Mechanic

Here are the deaths in Europe so far:
Country,TotalTotal
OtherCasesDeaths
Italy21,1571,441
Spain7,753291
France4,49991
UK1,14021
Netherlands1,13520
Switzerland2,21714
Germany5,42611
San Marino1015
Greece2284
Belgium8864
Norway1,2053
Poland1193
Denmark8642
Sweden1,0242
Ireland1292
Bulgaria432
Hungary321
Austria8001
Slovenia2191
Luxembourg591
Albania421

And here's a map of Europe showing the number of older people living with their kids.

Household infection is by far the biggest route for the spread of C19 (with up to 75-80%).

With Italy having so many older people living with young families, and Germany having so few, it was always going to hit the former harder.

Spain and Portugal need to start isolating the 65+ very soon (if they haven't already).
Italy seems to have lots of negatives rolled into one. Outbreak highly concentrated in one area, old population, lots of smokers, very tactile culture and lots of old people living with younger people likely to be unknowingly carrying the disease.

Scrumpet

There are no words
11 new confirmed cases in NI for a total of 45, but the DoH haven't been releasing stats for total tested since Friday so may as well make your own numbers up.

TrustInJanuzaj

Okay thanks guys, the final dumb question, is it self isolation starting from the day symptoms first appear?