5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

He reminds me so much of Darren Fletcher. Really impressive performance. Can't believe some of the comments after the Swansea game. He's filled the boots of Pogba in a way we couldn't have expected. Well played, young man.
Was going to post the same thing, everything about his game reminds me of Fletcher.

Even his jogging style.

Dante

Average bang
He's not short enough to be a Spanish midfielder. Knock off 6 inches and give him a tan, then we're talking.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nice performance. Nothing that really caught the eye but didn't really hurt his chances either and was generally involved and solid.

Brightonian

Are you going to remind us you don’t think he has a future here after every performance? Or just the good ones like tonight?
'McTominay doesn't have a future here' is the new 'Lingard should only ever be a squad player'. The better the performance, the more likely you are to read it.
He's right though, he probably doesn't have a future here.
He does have a lovely easy elegant touch though when receiving the ball. Carrick-esque.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
'McTominay doesn't have a future here' is the new 'Lingard should only ever be a squad player'. The better the performance, the more likely you are to read it.
He's right though, he probably doesn't have a future here.
He does have a lovely easy elegant touch though when receiving the ball. Carrick-esque.
Yeah, shades of Carrick and shades of Fletcher too. As someone already pointed out. Hard to know if his range of passing is up to scratch because he played it very safe but there could be a player in there.

One thing’s for sure. If we had a 20 year old homegrown CM playing like that 5 or 10 years ago we’d have been delighted.

Paul_Scholes18

Really good performance again. Really liking this kid. He look alright on the ball and got nice physical qualities. Look to be a good team player to have although very early to tell much about his mentality at this stage.

Hope to see more from him no doubt!

Our own products looking really good. Maybe not Lingard all the time, but Rashford is just our best player at the moment I think and I have hopes for both Mctominay and Tuanzebe as well. Great times!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Unfussy and calm performance. Did OK and fulfilled his responsibilities. I liked it.

Brightonian

Yeah, shades of Carrick and shades of Fletcher too. As someone already pointed out. Hard to know if his range of passing is up to scratch because he played it very safe but there could be a player in there.

One thing’s for sure. If we had a 20 year old homegrown CM playing like that 5 or 10 years ago we’d have been giddy as feck.
I know, the times have definitely changed. I remember being excited about Cleverley. McTominay has about the same sort of standing amongst his youth side contemporaries as Cleverley had amongst his - not a star, not a duffer, never really expected to break into the first team - but his technical basics are a different story.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
That was his best performance with the first team. To be honest at other times he was quite bland, but tonight he's displayed quality alongside Matic that surpassed every effort we've witnessed from Herrera this season.

SteveW

The fact that I didn't really notice him is probably a positive. Slotted in well, didn't look fazed or out of place

EyeInTheSky

One thing’s for sure. If we had a 20 year old homegrown CM playing like that 5 or 10 years ago we’d have been delighted.
He played a beuty of a through ball tonight also quick interchange in attack between himself and mata on a number of occasions setting up a chance in the box for himself

Sylar

Neat and tidy. did the simple things well which was good to see. Thought he got better as the game went on.

Dante

Average bang
I don't see the similarity to Fletcher.

Fletcher was faster along the ground, but a bit more hesitant before making his final pass. McTominay has less of an engine, but is seemingly quicker in his head. His passing range is also nowhere near as big as Fletcher's.

I guess they're both physical continuity players, but I don't think they match up in terms of style.

bdspeedy

Seemed pretty confident. Made a few very well placed passes. He was one of our only players that actually made some tackles tonight.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The fact that I didn't really notice him is probably a positive. Slotted in well, didn't look fazed or out of place
Yeah, agree. Sounded pretty switched on in his interview afterwards too. I think it was surprising because of how gormless he looks in his photo on here.

Devil may care

Solid outing, he eased into the game well and showed decent composure on the ball and just kept it simple, some decent moments of positional play as well.

Mr Smith

Great to see Mourinho playing an academy player and said academy player taking his chances. Might turn out to be a good Matic deputy this season.

prateik

Didn't look out of place in a Champions league match against the Champions of Portugal, in a match where they had to turn up.

Nothing to complain about.

prateik

He reminds me so much of Darren Fletcher. Really impressive performance. Can't believe some of the comments after the Swansea game. He's filled the boots of Pogba in a way we couldn't have expected. Well played, young man.
Jose's love child?
Or is Fergie still getting around?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Clearly, Jose knows a bit more about football than most of us here combined. I think he sees him as a long term replacement for Matic.

khoazany

Honestly, don't really care whether he's "good enough for us in the long run". He has slotted in perfectly when we need him to be.

OohAahMartial

Credit to the Academy for producing another player just when and where we needed one during an injury crisis, and credit to Jose for gradually easing him in and trusting youth.

As any reasonable person would expect, the kid eased himself into the game, with nithing too fancy, just trying to not make too many mistakes and stay calm, and he seemed to be able to remain very composed which is a very good sign (take note Lindelof).

Second half he could express himself a bit more, especially when Herrera gave us numerical equality, and he made some nice long passes, forward passes and runs into the box. You can't judge his long-term future on his first game in the CL as he won't have been trying to show his full range yet but he showed he can be reliably called upon when needed to give others a rest which is all we need. And fair play to the lad he gave a better passing performance than Herrera has recently, and certainly a better performance than many fans in this thread.

Mike09

I don't know where people can find anything similar between this guy and Fletcher. Both players play different style, Fletcher is more aggressive, quicker, and tends to arrive late into the box to get a goal from crossings. And also Fletcher used to be a right midfielder back then before he became a proper centre midfield. Scott is more a tall version of Cleverley IMO.

The Benfica's match is a must not lose in order to guarantee us qualify to the next round. I'm glad that Jose has faith to play him in Benfica's match. Keep everything simple, not giving away the ball, not giving away many fouls & good enough to win header.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think the problem is that he didn't seem to stick out at the youth levels so people aren't quite such what to expect from him. So there's no trust yet. You don't have people saying - oh this kid can do this too. It will come. He's obviously got a good mentality. He's got a decent build and we need bodies. So it's a good experience for him and at a time when we've a few injuries we need someone to come in and he did.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I thought he did well. Good to see a CM from our academy.

Hopefully he gets minutes in the last 2 CL games and the cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.