5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentwood

I thought he was really good last night. That was definitely the best I have seen him play and if he can keep improving I don't see why he can't eventually take Fellaini's position in the squad in a couple of years

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He stepped up his game in the second half, defensively he was good and in the second half he was decent on the ball too. Must be having time of his life, starting at Old trafford in the champions league game.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I dont think he has anything special. He is right now more of a necessity and not a special talent. There is nothing special about him apart from being tall, doesnt have a great long ball, average drive forward, decent going back. Probably a 6/10 footballer. I hope he gets better if he is to make it here, Right now i think we will sell him for 10-12 million to burnley as he is about that level.

Mcking

I dont think he has anything special. He is right now more of a necessity and not a special talent. There is nothing special about him apart from being tall, doesnt have a great long ball, average drive forward, decent going back. Probably a 6/10 footballer. I hope he gets better if he is to make it here, Right now i think we will sell him for 10-12 million to burnley as he is about that level.
Unfair on the lad.

diarm

I thought he was excellent last night. I missed the first 15 minutes and a mate told me he was a little shaky at the start. But after that he was superb.

He's extremely comfortable on the ball for a 20 year old. Not afraid to look for it and take the ball in traffic. Uses his body well to shield and protect the ball. He uses the ball simply and intelligently but isn't afraid to look for a more cutting ball forward if he sees an opportunity.

Best of all is his movement. He was our one player yesterday that constantly looked to find space for a pass. We've a few players (Martial and Lukaku are 2) who can be too stationary, looking for the ball to come to their feet flat and deep so they can make it happen.

So it was refreshing to see a young lad always offering an option, particularly to defenders looking to play out from the back as that's been an issue for us over recent years.

Red_Aaron

I think he was clearly under instruction to do nothing but the basics for 90 mins which he did very well.

The more he plays the more confidence he'll gain from both himself and crucially the manager and hopefully then he'll express himself more going forward

bdecuc

Very impressive performance last night considering McTominay's inexperience. With his size and growth spurt issue he hasn't really played much football nevermind as a cm. Loved his composure. Will be interesting to see if he can keep that level.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's too young and fresh to express himself fully and show his full repertoire of talents. Very likely playing safe and within himself.

podurban2

Let’s begin collecting some myths to stick on this guy, come on caf you can do this. I’ll start; Poor passer, Championship level.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't see the similarity to Fletcher.

Fletcher was faster along the ground, but a bit more hesitant before making his final pass. McTominay has less of an engine, but is seemingly quicker in his head. His passing range is also nowhere near as big as Fletcher's.

I guess they're both physical continuity players, but I don't think they match up in terms of style.
They don't play alike but they do look alike on camera, I think thats a lot of it.

ie United kit and almost transparently white skin with a short haircut. The frequent first touch with a simultaneous turn is a shared trait too.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Unfair on the lad.
I dont think so, he did the basics alright yes, but clearly he dint show anything else. He is a 6/10 player, which i think is important for a squad but i do not think he can be a starter or sometimes not even a substitute for us when everyone is fit. Hasnt shown he has vision to see a pass, nor aggressiveness in defence. I understand people thinking he is just a lad and always hoping an academy product to do well, i do the same but i am right to say he is nothing special.

superdry

touched by a genius
He looked ok and was probably playing under instruction to fit in and keep it tight.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was going to post the same thing, everything about his game reminds me of Fletcher.

Even his jogging style.
Might be what Jose sees in him. If I remember rightly there was a podcast that featured a long interview with Fletcher and the interviewer brought up a quote that was incredibly complimentary towards him. Saying that he was our most important player tactically.

Davie Moyes

Good performance from the lad. Slotted in nicely and you can tell has trust of the manager, Fellaini-esque in that sense. Very mature in his play and understanding of the game. Was clearly under instruction to play it safe.

Reactions: Penna

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I love this kid. He's not a natural world class player like Paul Scholes was but he's quite mature for his age, he rarely put his foot wrong and he does the right things at the right time. I think he's got the potential to be even better then Fletcher (who was pretty unwatchable at his age).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Good performance from the lad. Slotted in nicely and you can tell has trust of the manager, Fellaini-esque in that sense. Very mature in his play and understanding of the game. Was clearly under instruction to play it safe.
He's actually more technically gifted and mature then Fellaini is.

superdry

touched by a genius
Just watched his aftermatch interview. "I'm trying to gain the managers trust" tells me he knows what he's doing and has a good chance of at the least, becoming a good squad player.

Camilo

I thought he was decent last night. Granted the game struggled to hold my attention, but everything I saw was positive. You can see he thinks a good game, he just doesn't really have the ability to back it up yet - and maybe he never will, who knows.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some posters really do have weird agendas. This guy has only played about 50 pro football matches in his life, and he's taken to a high level like a a duck to water so far. Yes he can improve his passing range and improve his shooting, but that will come with time.

So far he's looking like a good squad player, the fact Mourinho is trusting him with a CL game is testament to that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't understand people saying he has limited passing range. The lad was playing in a patched up team against a very good team in Benfica. It was only his second start, he'll gain confidence.

Alabaster Codify7

Cleverly level for me. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - he can provide depth and turn in a solid performance to rest other players. The problem Cleverly had was he was a starting 11 player and was nowhere near good enough for that.

wythyred

The more I've seen him the more I like him.

I don't see a fletcher type player in him but see huge similarities with Matic.

Ole90+3

Don't understand people saying he has limited passing range. The lad was playing in a patched up team against a very good team in Benfica. It was only his second start, he'll gain confidence.
Sorry but this Benfica team is not good. Very good teams don't have zero points after 4 group stage games, especially considering the lack of quality in our group.

Fair play to the lad though, he played well.

Reiver

Haven't seen a great deal of him but what I have seen has been fine. He's still got some developing to do. Can he challenge for regular game time when everyone is fit is the big question. Lingard has shown you can still get plenty of minutes as a squad player at Utd.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Some posters really do have weird agendas. This guy has only played about 50 pro football matches in his life, and he's taken to a high level like a a duck to water so far. Yes he can improve his passing range and improve his shooting, but that will come with time.

So far he's looking like a good squad player, the fact Mourinho is trusting him with a CL game is testament to that.
He has actually played two professional games.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think he was ok, like average today. Loads of back passes, some bad positioning but some decent moments as well.

5.5/10 performance
Would have probably given him a 6 myself, but I do agree with your comments/performance summary though.

But by reading this last couple of pages, it seems I missed a few things and am "underrating" his performance a bit? It didn't help him that the midfield was completely overrun though. Benfica played some nice stuff, especially in the first half, even if it was without ever really threatening - other than a few long range shots.

Thought he grew into the game a bit though. Could have done some things better, did some other really good things and hopefully as his confidence/stature in the first team grows, he'll display a more adventurous passing range. Nice to have another academy player (and a Scot!, excuse the pun :drool:) in the team though.

SirAF

Ageist
He was perfectly fine. Not pulling up any trees, obviously, but I don't think anyone would expect that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Strong in contesting for the ball, and tidy in passing and posession. It was an acceptable performance, which is what we need from a squad player.
I like what i'm seeing so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has actually played two professional games.
No I mean with academy football also, he seriously has only played that many. The injuries he had stopped him playing a lot.

GazTheLegend

He seemed like a magnet for the ball in the centre of the park, made countless interceptions and tackles and his reaction speed is ridiculous. Hardly put a foot wrong - I was hugely impressed.

Was important we had that protection in front of the back four because Bailly had an absolutely shocking game that he managed to get away with due to other areas performing.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Absolutely. God knows he's been given enough of a chance to show us what he's made of. If he can't put in more than a 7 out of 10 performance in the Champions League against the current Portugese double winners in his second start for us, get rid.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
McTominay is a curious case, because no one had hopes for him to really become a player, and suddenly Mourinho, who has an awful reputation for playing and fostering youth, after he lets A.Pereira go on loan, sees something in him and actually uses him in the Champions League, of all! If he gets him right and indeed McTominay becomes, over time, a true United player, even if only a squad useful one, Mourinho destroys the myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.