5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

diplomat

Jose said he is the epitome of a modern CM. Was really happy with McTominay, even went as far as to say he can do everything, even score goals, but his current instructions are stifling that part of his game. Huge praise and we might be seeing him becoming a proper mainstay in our squad. I'm really happy for him, another youth prospect who is United through and through.

Brophs

The One and Only
It would be difficult to fail to be impressed by him. He's played relatively little football at any sort of level, much less CL and PL level in tough midfield battles and he doesn't look out of place. He needs time and there'll be bad days to come, as happens to almost every young player, but he's making breaking into United's midfield look a lot easier than it actually is.

Champagne Football

His progress will tell Jose that he doesn't need to hang onto Fellani to be back-up to Milinkovic-Savic or Seri next season or whoever we get.

Nick7

It would be difficult to fail to be impressed by him. He's played relatively little football at any sort of level, much less CL and PL level in tough midfield battles and he doesn't look out of place. He needs time and there'll be bad days to come, as happens to almost every young player, but he's making breaking into United's midfield look a lot easier than it actually is.
Agree with this. I like the lad.

Web of Bissaka

His biggest test so far against CHELSEA, scored A+.

Toad

Bit shaken in the first half vs Sevilla then really came into the game.

Today he did very well, looks so confident.

admittedly I doubted him before the game, to be honest I still do a bit because he is so inexperienced and has a major part to play in this team at the moment. But as long as he carries on how he is at the moment he should get everyone in his side, which I hope he does.

Really happy for him.

kul m

dare I say captain McTominay..... Another impressive display and another good post match interview from the young lad, showing him praising his team mates at 21 years old

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But his job was to man mark Hazard. He can't do both.

My question is, did Lindelof have to come so far out, especially as McTominay was making his way out to Hazard?

It just created a massive whole in our defence, which in the end Chelsea were able exploit.
If his job was to exclusively man mark Hazard why was he tracking Willian’s run?

Camilo

Totally surprised me today. Worked really hard, his control and touch were great, his positioning was great and he passed it well. Enjoyed watching him ordering and people around too.

Still not sure if he's actually any good - I suspect he's quite a limited footballer - but there's no doubting he did well today.

haram

But his job was to man mark Hazard. He can't do both.

My question is, did Lindelof have to come so far out, especially as McTominay was making his way out to Hazard?

It just created a massive whole in our defence, which in the end Chelsea were able exploit.
When someone makes a run like that you have to track it.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Has already graduated from 'emergency stop-gap' to viable option. Fair play to the lad. Just looking at Arsenal now, he would immediately improve that midfield.

acnumber9

He played pretty well aside from that huge error for the goal. Hazard did absolutely nothing all day long.

Nick7

Bad mistake for the goal but I think he did very well out there given his comparative lack of experience.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was really disappointed in the poor tracking for the goal but this can happen. He has the skillsets required to be a top player according to Jose so I'm behind him.

Robbie Boy

He was good second half. No need for people to excuse his mistake to be a proper top fan. It was a stupid mistake, he'll learn. Thought he grew into the game second half and he's continuing to prove people wrong.

GwilDor

As many have already said, his only big mistake was failing to track Willian for the goal. Other than that he was given a massive job today. Defensively he was more or less marking Hazard, who didn't produce much at all. That was the same as Matic, who had main responsibility for Willian. Since McTominay is younger and has better capacity, he also had more offensive movement than Matic. If not for the mistake at the goal he'd be 2nd only to Lukaku for the MoM today in my book.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Well, exactly. That was a bad mistake. Schoolboy error. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. He’ll learn from it.
Watching live in the ground it felt like the biggest error was from Valencia playing him onside when he did not need to break the defensive line. Replays only confirmed that. I suppose McTominay could have tracked without any downside, but the goal comes about because of Valencia’s positioning primarily. It’s his error.

Mou on him post match was very positive. Even highlighted his lack of goals and assists, but said not to worry because he knows he can do that, that we saw it in pre season, and that he has wanted him to focus on the basics so far.

pseudo_canadian

I was really disappointed in the poor tracking for the goal but this can happen. He has the skillsets required to be a top player according to Jose so I'm behind him.
Yeah.

If Jose is putting this much trust in a 21 year old midfielder, then I'm more than inclined to believe his judgement.

Maccataq

McTominay has been impressive so far and showed again today that stepping up to this level doesn't phase him. He has a good temperament and that bodes well. Playing central midfield is probably one of the hardest positions to step into as you can't hide. I think he is quite conservative in his approach but I think he is doing exactly what the manager is asking of him and in time we'll see him become more adventurous in his passing, especially as he gets more game time against lesser teams. I think what really plays in his favour is that as a young player progressing through the ranks, he was small and so had to learn his trade through good positioning movement and passing but because of course he grew so rapidly he now has physicality on his side. Think we have a decent homegrown squad player here.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Big mistake for the goal but his was one of three big individual errors in this goal. Otherwise very impressive, has the most fantastic tempo to his passing. It is hard to define but every pass is hit with real intent and timed to reach the recipient in their perfect stride. I'm probably getting carried away but I am very happy that we have unearthed such a quality midfield player in our academy ranks.

littleman

He has a better temperament than Pogba for CM. Paul needs to be a little further upfront. Scott also doesn't bring a circus with him.

Not sure if Scott can be in our first XI for the next decade, but he has a chance to prove himself now.

TheHeya

His best performance in a united shirt to date. He was also the one with the long ball forward to Lukaku for the second goal. Starting to really like this kid hope he can keep it up and have many more chances in the first team.

GM K

Some people keep blaming Scott for that goal and they have a valid point. He should have tracked Willian rather than ball watch. But rewind a bit. The first problem was Valencia's average cross to the box. Tony could have done a lot better with the cross.

The second problem was Pogba who failed to leap and intercept the Chelsea player who headed the ball out (can't remember who now). For some reasons, Pogba simply didn't bother to jump and considering the danger of a counter attack, that created a massive problem for United. The third problem was Scott failing to track Willian as it has been highlighted.
The fifth problem was Lindelof, a much more experienced defender than Scott. I thought he failed to organise that defensive position well. Like Scott, he ball watched otherwise Willian could have been tracked and stopped.

el3mel

Some people keep blaming Scott for that goal and they have a valid point. He should have tracked Willian rather than ball watch. But rewind a bit. The first problem was Valencia's average cross to the box. Tony could have done a lot better with the cross.

The second problem was Pogba who failed to leap and intercept the Chelsea player who headed the ball out (can't remember who now). For some reasons, Pogba simply didn't bother to jump and considering the danger of a counter attack, that created a massive problem for United. The third problem was Scott failing to track Willian as it has been highlighted.
The fifth problem was Lindelof, a much more experienced defender than Scott. I thought he failed to organise that defensive position well. Like Scott, he ball watched otherwise Willian could have been tracked and stopped.
That goal was full of mistakes, even De Gea had his share, too.

Regardless of this goal, this lad is growing more and more into the team. Getting full confidence and truth from the manager to play in CL KO game then against Chelsea. The kid must be day dreaming.

littleman

I think if you keep rewinding we can attribute the fault of the goal to the big bang

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Truth be told, at this stage - he doesn't really offer something Ander wouldn't for the most part as regards following specific instructions, so it's quite puzzling that the latter was noticeably sidelined by José ever since we signed Matić, despite being one of our better performers last season, revisionism aside. That being said, it's pretty neat that Lingard and him have played crucial roles over the season (to varying degrees of course), and McTominay's progression has come as a pleasant surprise. Kinda reminds me of Marchisio when he was emerging at Juventus or on loan at Empoli in terms of having solid fundamentals and a calm head on his shoulders, though I dunno if he possesses Marchisio's eclectic skillset - that allowed him to play at pretty much every midfield position and interpret different roles at a 7/10 or 8/10 level. Not much of a consistent creative or goalscoring threat right now either and somehow seems like a limited player, but if he isn't supplanted by better midfielders, that aspect of his game might become more prominent in due time, especially considering he's very green right now and probably em-burdened by jobs that limit him - so we aren't seeing the full extent of what he has to offer. At the very least, he could be a decent squad option and tactical piece over the coming years given Mourinho's apparent fondness for him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Watching live in the ground it felt like the biggest error was from Valencia playing him onside when he did not need to break the defensive line. Replays only confirmed that. I suppose McTominay could have tracked without any downside, but the goal comes about because of Valencia’s positioning primarily. It’s his error.

Mou on him post match was very positive. Even highlighted his lack of goals and assists, but said not to worry because he knows he can do that, that we saw it in pre season, and that he has wanted him to focus on the basics so far.
Did he get any goals/assists in pre-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.