5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Victim of Mourinhos madness in trying to send Ed a message. Clearly struggling in a position that’s alien to him.. subs the only ‘cover’ he had in order to expose him further and leave him embarrassed for the third goal. Sadistic from Mourinho

What’s even sadder is the fact that Ed doesn’t understand football to comprehend all these subtle messages... all that is left is a club being abused
I am sure he does. He is not a janitor there. I would not be surprised if he is actively trying to find another option at this point. Jose has been giving all the signs of not being stable since the beginning of the season.

I think not buying all the players Jose wanted this summer is maybe his intention to draw a line with Jose for this season.

Bending on Jose's pressure and giving him a new contract was stupid though.

Last edited:

kiristao

To be fair it wasn't exactly the same role as what Fellaini has been playing. McTominay played as an out-and-out central defender on the right side of a three. Fellaini has been playing a strange dual role, not really a central defender and not really a midfielder, but somewhere in between helping out with both aspects. He's also been covering the centre of the pitch in that role, with Smalling floating out to the right when Fellaini is deep.

The only possible reason I can think of (that doesn't involve Mourinho just trying to make a point) is that he felt Fellaini might foul Arnautovic too much in that role, so wanted Smalling to focus on him instead. And then didn't think Fellaini would be suitable as an actual central defender in the same role McTominay played. Unfortunately, I'm pretty damn certain Mourinho was just making a point.
This is what it is for me actually. If you want to play 3 at the back, you dont play a 20 year old CM in that position when you have others on the bench.

Ekeke

This is what it is for me actually. If you want to play 3 at the back, you dont play a 20 year old CM in that position when you have others on the bench.
I know hes younger, but Mourinho has used Ander and Fellaini in the position too. I think its far more simple. Mourinho was trying out several options and while Fellaini was at the back against teams who want the ball in the air all the time, this wasnt one of those games and West Ham were going to try to hurt us with the ball on the floor as they did. So this was McTominay's chance in the position.

I think Mourinho just believes the overhype he's been broadcasting about McTominay. He thought he could do a good job in the position and he was wrong. If McTominay comes in and does well, Mourinho gets all the credit for being a tactical mastermind.

It doesnt make the slightest bit of sense to me that Mourinho would pick someone out of position and want them to fail. That just risks him getting the sack

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mourinho has made some extremely strange and tactical decisions of late which, if you're suspicious of a slightly suspicious man, seem to be aimed at sending a subliminal message of his apparent victimhood. But even viewed as purely footballing decision they're counter productive and not just left-field but left-logic.

Herrera as a centre back. Matic as a centre back. Little Scott Mctominay as a centre back. And all this when you consider that he never actually playes Blind, clearly our best player at bringing the ball out from the back, in that position. And what does this do for these players but drain their confidence? Although Mourinho piles praise on the young man, it doesn't sit well given his desire to make examples out of any young player he plays and win meaningless ego points.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
A glowing review, not sure I agree but can only be good for McTominay's confidence. I don't think it's McTominay's fault he's getting the grief he is doing, he's doing his best with the game time he's given. Don't really think he should be near the team to begin with at least not at CB. Just odd to me that Mourinho would play him in a position he's never played professionally in a team already struggling.
But, it might not make him well liked in the dressing room since they might start seeing him as the teacher's pet.

Litch

Mourinho has made some extremely strange and tactical decisions of late which, if you're suspicious of a slightly suspicious man, seem to be aimed at sending a subliminal message of his apparent victimhood. But even viewed as purely footballing decision they're counter productive and not just left-field but left-logic.

Herrera as a centre back. Matic as a centre back. Little Scott Mctominay as a centre back. And all this when you consider that he never actually playes Blind, clearly our best player at bringing the ball out from the back, in that position. And what does this do for these players but drain their confidence? Although Mourinho piles praise on the young man, it doesn't sit well given his desire to make examples out of any young player he plays and win meaningless ego points.
Agree. The lad was being used as a pawn with the Pog stuff last season to prove a point, and now playing CB when Bailly in on the bench who is also out of favour? This is nothing about his development and I worry for him once Jose is history.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he could become a good modern CB in the future, but that was disastrous by Mourinho to throw him in at the deep end like that.

Taking Lindelöf off and leaving him on was just a WTF decision.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think he could become a good modern CB in the future, but that was disastrous by Mourinho to throw him in at the deep end like that.

Taking Lindelöf off and leaving him on was just a WTF decision.
You think CB could be his future position? Why so?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You think CB could be his future position? Why so?
Mainly because of his size, he's fairly calm on the ball but doesn't offer much more going forward.

Obviously we don't know if he can ACTUALLY defend yet, but I would imagine if Mourinho is trusting him enough to play a PL game he must see enough in training.

TBH I think he'll only ever have a squad role here anyway.

Mcking

Someone last season said that he played as a striker for the youth teams. How about using him as Lukaku's back up? Just stick him upfront.
Lukaku is off form rn.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Victim of Mourinhos madness in trying to send Ed a message. Clearly struggling in a position that’s alien to him.. subs the only ‘cover’ he had in order to expose him further and leave him embarrassed for the third goal. Sadistic from Mourinho

What’s even sadder is the fact that Ed doesn’t understand football to comprehend all these subtle messages... all that is left is a club being abused
how does he doesnt understand football? what does have to do with him not udnerstandign football? he's clever enough to understand the political message mourinho sent him and there will be consequences, mourinho will be sacked, to sakc a manager is not an instant thing to do, it takes time, you need replacement or at least plan. I am sure it's been worked on and no it's not woodward himself, there's a team of advisors, experts who work for him.

There's something going on and we have to wait unfortunately why to slate woodward with every hour of not sacking mourinho? I swear some people went out of their minds lately, blame everything and everyone.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
how does he doesnt understand football? what does have to do with him not udnerstandign football? he's clever enough to understand the political message mourinho sent him and there will be consequences, mourinho will be sacked, to sakc a manager is not an instant thing to do, it takes time, you need replacement or at least plan. I am sure it's been worked on and no it's not woodward himself, there's a team of advisors, experts who work for him.

There's something going on and we have to wait unfortunately why to slate woodward with every hour of not sacking mourinho? I swear some people went out of their minds lately, blame everything and everyone.
Dont think you quite comprehended the post

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Someone last season said that he played as a striker for the youth teams. How about using him as Lukaku's back up? Just stick him upfront.
Lukaku is off form rn.
he played striker for the same reason he's in the team now, simply because he's tall and we didn't know where to play him and didn't have a striker at the time, the lad was trying and we had some poor quality in the u21, he's definitely not good enough to play any role in the team, in any team in the premier league in fact. Another proof how insane and arrogant Mourinho is, promoting a tall palyer with attitude just for the sake of it and to prove his stupid point. McT won't be here next season.

VJ1762

Just read this on youtube:

"Scott Mctominay can burn down Mourinho's hotel room and Mourinho would thank him for heating it up".

cantaldo

I have nothing against the guy but he sums up mourinho's mentality, ignores giving truely talented youngsters like chong or gomes a chance even against the likes of derby but happy to throw mctominay into a desperately must win match because of his physical qualities, I bet mourinho wouldn't have even given a young 17-18 year old messi a real chance in the first team

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope he wins me over, but right now I really don't know what Jose sees in him. I can't see him even making most Championship teams. Yet he is starting for us...

ArjenIsM3

How does he get in ahead of Pereira or Fred? Especially when we have enough strength and length with Pogba and Matic already in the side. Not enough creativity in midfield now.

ForestRGoinUp

How does he get in ahead of Pereira or Fred? Especially when we have enough strength and length with Pogba and Matic already in the side. Not enough creativity in midfield now.
McT certainly not the only culprit but putting out below average players constantly (over the last 5 years really) is both part of the reason we aren’t that good and it’s not fun to watch us play anymore.

E-mal

How on earth does he get a start ahead of Fred and Pereira?
Jose's fetish with brute and length.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Feel bad for him really, he's going to get a lot of dislike for playing ahead of Fred/Pereira but it's really not his fault. Hope he has a very good game but it just seems weird to play him, he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.

SER19

Am I the only one who thinks he’s a decent prospect. Needs to add more cutting edge , same could be said for the team, but I think he has potential.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Feel bad for him really, he's going to get a lot of dislike for playing ahead of Fred/Pereira but it's really not his fault. Hope he has a very good game but it just seems weird to play him, he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.
This. I could understand seeing him come off the bench to see out a game defensively or provide more height for set-pieces if we need a goal but it strikes me as strange that we start him. Unless they're standout talents, and McTominay is not, young players tend to be blooded into the team, not thrown into the deep end.

I personally think it's Jose being a dick to prove a point and that has nothing to do with McTominay himself who hopefully proves us all wrong.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Am I the only one who thinks he’s a decent prospect. Needs to add more cutting edge , same could be said for the team, but I think he has potential.
No, I'm with you. Though I don't think he's selected today for his footballing ability over some obviously better players, it's more that Jose trusts him to follow his tactical approach.

SER19

No, I'm with you. Though I don't think he's selected today for his footballing ability over some obviously better players, it's more that Jose trusts him to follow his tactical approach.
I think that’s the key issue too. Mourinhos teams need strict discipline, always have. Having Pogba plus Fred/pereira at the moment is probably a wild card too many

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think that’s the key issue too. Mourinhos teams need strict discipline, always have. Having Pogba plus Fred/pereira at the moment is probably a wild card too many
It's why I think McTominay can carve out a career. He's got the right mentality, which we've seen is so important. He'll improve his overall abilities too.

I was hoping to see Pereira and Dalot, but I assume that lineup is based on who Jose trusts to keep the tactical discipline with both Pogba and Martial in that team.

SER19

It's why I think McTominay can carve out a career. He's got the right mentality, which we've seen is so important. He'll improve his overall abilities too.

I was hoping to see Pereira and Dalot, but I assume that lineup is based on who Jose trusts to keep the tactical discipline with both Pogba and Martial in that team.
Darren fletcher was one of the most vilified players I’ve ever come across. And not just early on, for years. There’s a lot of revisionism where he is concerned now. He wasn’t flashy, got mounds of criticism, got on with it, did what he was told and became a brilliant servant.

AndyJ1985

Darren fletcher was one of the most vilified players I’ve ever come across. And not just early on, for years. There’s a lot of revisionism where he is concerned now. He wasn’t flashy, got mounds of criticism, got on with it, did what he was told and became a brilliant servant.
What's Fletcher got to do with McTominay? What point are you making? All poor players who receive criticism are in fact as good as Fletcher but we're all too stupid to realise it?

An Irish Red

He was levels above McTominay though. And he certainly wouldn't get grief if he was breaking into the team now either. Average players (see McTominay) get hyped up on here these days.

SER19

What's Fletcher got to do with McTominay? What point are you making? All poor players who receive criticism are in fact as good as Fletcher but we're all too stupid to realise it?
No, you’ve made up that interpretation. For comparison sake they’re both academy graduates, from the same country, in the same position, receiving a similar reaction from fans, with a fairly similar on field persona and one reminded me of the other. No broader point being made other than to say I hope mctominay follows the same trajectory. Hope that’s ok and you’re reassured your intelligence wasn’t being questioned, whoever you are.

SER19

He was levels above McTominay though. And he certainly wouldn't get grief if he was breaking into the team now either. Average players (see McTominay) get hyped up on here these days.
That’s my point though, it’s clear now he was but I remember specifically in his early days he was hammered in a similar way.

Status
Not open for further replies.