Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Dont get how he was so underrated. He had brilliant performances against Pool and Chelsea and after that I was all about the hype train. I expected that to be the norm - go overboard with hope for one of our own academy products. Instead it's taken two more seasons to even consider that he might be talented. So weird.
Up until February or so he only tended to play well in the spoiler role against top teams. When he played against lower teams he rarely provided much at all. I'll put my hand up and say that I didn't think he was ultimately going to be good enough to even be a squad player for us as the only time he was actually useful was against top teams where we needed to out-work and out-muscle them in the middle of the park (admittedly he was often very good in that very specific role). Pretty much everyone who had watched him regularly in the youth teams were saying the same as well.

That all started to change in the last few months of last season as his on-the-ball ability just improved out of sight. His passing ability, his vision to see the options, his touches on the ball, his dribbling - it's like a completely different player. I don't know if it has something to do with Ole coming in, Carrick maybe taking him under his wing, him deciding to be more dominant, or him just naturally growing as a player as he matures. But whatever it was it's obviously worked, and he's now quite firmly cemented himself as first choice alongside Pogba.

LJJT

Has no one compared him to Roy Keane yet? He won’t reach Roy’s levels but this lad has the best attitude. Physically fit. Fights for the badge, can pass, shoot. Very good player we have here. Won’t be lauded cos he can’t take a panenka but this lad has quality running right thru him

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

Has no one compared him to Roy Keane yet? He won’t reach Roy’s levels but this lad has the best attitude. Physically fit. Fights for the badge, can pass, shoot. Very good player we have here. Won’t be lauded cos he can’t take a panteka but this lad has quality running right thru him
Seems to have improved his positioning as well. Right positions to support the attackers in the final third and more efficient at moving the ball around. If we can get a high intensity B2B with some pace like Barella beside him and PP, then we could make this Midfield function. Or we could aim for a more controlling midfielder like Grillitsch and let McTominay do the dirty work.

SteveW

He's looking fantastic. Mobile, authoritative and spraying the ball around effortlessly. Thank feck he is because barring Pogba, the rest of our CMs are absolutely shocking.

Alemar

Progress over the last 6 months has been huge with McTominay. Long this trajectory may last

Krits

That pass to (I think?) Greenwood in the first half was all technique and class. Scholesy couldn't have picked it out any better!
It was a peach. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He hasn’t yet consistently shown that elite level technique. Which is why I compared him to Carrick. What made Carrick so good wasn’t that he was amazing at controlling the ball. But he did the simple things so effectively and quickly. I’d love for McTominay reach scholes level. He still might. Midfielders (most of them) need time to truly reach their potential. Here’s hoping...

Hercules

I'd have him starting as DM with Matic backup. He is clearly the better option for us. A bit of polishing and he could be the best DM in the league, just 22 and I loved the way he handled Kane today (against Andreas), we need players who care, we have had a lot of pensioners (Zlatan aside), give young guns a chance. We are not winning the league next season but a LC or an FA cup would do wonders.

Nick7

I'd have him starting as DM with Matic backup. He is clearly the better option for us. A bit of polishing and he could be the best DM in the league, just 22 and I loved the way he handled Kane today (against Andreas), we need players who care, we have had a lot of pensioners (Zlatan aside), give young guns a chance. We are not winning the league next season but a LC or an FA cup would do wonders.
I think he'd be wasted as a full on defensive midfielder. He's a box to box #8 through and through for me.

Abhinav

I think people are selling him short by saying he can become a solid midfielder. I think he has shown enough to be considered a future star. Has an excellent tackle, very assured first touch, good passing, great shot, and most importantly, amazing composure and mentality.

He can very well become a modern day Roy Keane! Thats the challenge that Ole and staff need to set him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It is great that he have managed to turn round even most of those those who appeared to have some sort of weird hate towards him.

But I must say, and I’m sorry if someone find this offensive, it is a bit funny how some insist that he have had some sort of miraclus change in ability; it was not them who (mis)judged him to early based on stereotype, were unable to recognize his potential, talent or qualities. McTominay just changed.

People will rarely admit they where wrong or change their mind. And that is why he will have less slack, just like Fletcher, than many others.

Hercules

It is great that he have managed to turn round even most of those those who appeared to have some sort of weird hate towards him.

But I must say, and I’m sorry if someone find this offensive, it is a bit funny how some insist that he have had some sort of miraclus change in ability; it was not them who (mis)judged him to early based on stereotype, were unable to recognize his potential, talent or qualities. McTominay just changed.

People will rarely admit they where wrong or change their mind. And that is why he will have less slack, just like Fletcher, than many others.
So Jose was right? :cool: haha

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
So Jose was right? :cool: haha
That McTominay is a talented player? Of course he was!

Does that impress you btw? That a coach who works with a player every single day, see him next to several other talents, have unlimited data on them, are able to identify a good and talented young player?

Too bad he did not let him play more to his strenghts.

Wheato

You know what, when you back a player, the way that Ole has done with Scott, it doesn't half give them that extra 40% It seems to simple to back your players and get the best out of them. Equally, it baffles me what Mourinho was thinking last summer when he threw everyone under the bus.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thought he was solid from his first few games, but he's just gotten better and better. I hear Pereira was great today as well.

Next game: All academy front 6 anyone?

-------McTominay---------
--Pereira----------Pogba--
Greenwood--------Gomes
----------Rashford---------

OL29

Automatic starter. Has unlocked some range and vision to his passing. It’s a shame he has to put up with Pogba in his midfield 2
:lol: He’s looking very good but isn’t it a bit ott to suggest he’s too good to play with Pogba?

ricky-romeo

Has no one compared him to Roy Keane yet? He won’t reach Roy’s levels but this lad has the best attitude. Physically fit. Fights for the badge, can pass, shoot. Very good player we have here. Won’t be lauded cos he can’t take a panenka but this lad has quality running right thru him
i think he can be our new Darren Fletcher. he is a player who gives 110% every game. i agree physically he is good, he fights for every ball and seems to be like a well behaved person who works hard and think about improving all the time.

can see him becoming one of the first name on the team sheets for big games as well, something Sir Alex used to do with players like Park and Fletcher.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Did he play as a striker for the U21's for a short period of time, or am I remembering it wrong?

WireMUFC

People are reluctant to admit how good Scott is, I’ve been raving about him for ages now. Absolute class player, Strong, Neat and Tidy in possession, can ping a pass as well. Solid 7/10 midfielder every game at least.

Last edited:

kundalini

Did he play as a striker for the U21's for a short period of time, or am I remembering it wrong?
He missed the U18s due to his late growth spurt, then was used as a make-shift striker for the U21s/U23s, because they didn't have any natural strikers. In truth, he looked out of his depth, which is why many of the posters on here who follow the academy/U23s, didn't rate him until the evidence was overwhelming. Almost all the few games he started for the U23s in midfield, came after his 1st team debut.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-mctominay/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/315969/verein/9251

Scott has looked a good player through-out the 4 tour matches. I'm optimistic about how he'll perform in the forthcoming season.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

He's looking better and better. I admit, i originally thought he was just a "workhorse" that is obedient to the managers instructions (during the special needs one), but he is showing he is so much more then that; his passing is getting more and more impressive, he makes driving runs through midfield (leading to goal vs. Leeds)with a great engine on him. Listening to him in interviews he comes across as an intelligent and down to Earth guy as well, something i appreciate a lot in a World of beans, beans, beans.

Sign me up as a fan :)

Last edited:

NoPace

He's looking fantastic. Mobile, authoritative and spraying the ball around effortlessly. Thank feck he is because barring Pogba, the rest of our CMs are absolutely shocking.
I've been a doubter but yeah, McTominay is at lowest like the 6th name on the teamsheet after only the fullbacks, De Gea and Pogba and Lindelof, and he's probably above Lindelof and even De Gea (!) since their backups are competent and McTominay's look washed.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol: He’s looking very good but isn’t it a bit ott to suggest he’s too good to play with Pogba?
Clarification - Pogba has garbage defensive discipline and often leaves Scott on an island of midfielders playing triangles around him. It’s a shame Scott has to deal with that.

VJ1762

Will he be our next Robbo ?
Let's pump the brakes a bit. Robson is Captain Marvel after all. I read that our team in the 80's lived and died based on whether Robson was fit. I can't see Mctominay developing into that kind of player. If he turns out to be a fletcher type player, that's good enough for me.

Speaking about Robson, how was he as a player? Was he a midfielder like Gerrard or Lampard? I remember reading somewhere that Robson was Gerrard's idol. Did he have a similar playstyle to Gerrard, like an all action type midfielder?

dutchred

Let's pump the brakes a bit. Robson is Captain Marvel after all. I read that our team in the 80's lived and died based on whether Robson was fit. I can't see Mctominay developing into that kind of player. If he turns out to be a fletcher type player, that's good enough for me.

Speaking about Robson, how was he as a player? Was he a midfielder like Gerrard or Lampard? I remember reading somewhere that Robson was Gerrard's idol. Did he have a similar playstyle to Gerrard, like an all action type midfielder?
for me Robson was better then both Gerrard and Lampard. Suffered a lot of injuries but when fully fit was the best all round midfielder Ive seen since Johan Neeskens

LiquidSnake

Honestly it's starting to be somewhat a miracle.

He has been a decent utility player by Mourinho in big games. Then when Ole started to smash everything at his arrival, he was nowhere to be found. I saw him play against PSG at Parc des Princes, he was outstanding, a real warrior, all PSG fans near me despised him as his tactical awarness and savyness in drawing fouls at key moments were incredible. I think this game, semented him in Ole mind then for the end of the season, as games went he went to show more and more quality. Now he's starting to show incredible qualities. That's some exponential growth.

The only constant with him was that he always had a great great attitude and workrate. Never shy from the moment, that's something you can never put against him. But honestly I don't think anybody right in there mind, saw 2 years ago that United fans would be happy going into the season with Scott McTominay next to Paul Pogba :lol:

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
It seems he bulked up during the summer!

That bootcamp clearly worked

There's a clear positive progression after every performance with McTomminay.
Lazy comparison this may be but it's remarkably similar to Fletcher.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He missed the U18s due to his late growth spurt, then was used as a make-shift striker for the U21s/U23s, because they didn't have any natural strikers. In truth, he looked out of his depth, which is why many of the posters on here who follow the academy/U23s, didn't rate him until the evidence was overwhelming. Almost all the few games he started for the U23s in midfield, came after his 1st team debut.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-mctominay/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/315969/verein/9251

Scott has looked a good player through-out the 4 tour matches. I'm optimistic about how he'll perform in the forthcoming season.
It is quite the transformation, and it shows that it is not only one specific route into the first team. It should be of great inspiration to other talented players in the academy who has trouble at times. I can't remember him in the U18's but you're saying he missed out due to a growth spurt, what does that mean? He wasn't introduced to the U18 at first or something then, due to him being smaller or maybe not so highly rated? Seems weird if he didn't play much for a while until he grew big and was then deployed as a striker when almost 20. It is a particularly interesting way into the first team, thats for sure. I'm curious to how highly he was rated and why they chose to play him as a striker, when the midfield options were underwhelming as well. I'm sure it was good for his development regardless, just curious if it was part of a plan or just a bit random.

Bondi77

I did not rate him at all and I thought Jose was only playing him to say he gave youth a chance but did not really believe in him.
I hold my hands up now and say I really rate the young man and he speaks so well when talking about the club and it is all about the team ethic.
A definite future Captain if he carries on developing.

Billy Jim

He's been brilliant so far in preseason.

Time for a better squad number though.

Guapa

Got high hopes for this boy and could claim a first team spot for himself.Hope he progresses for him and the club.

Mr PG

Hehe nice to see people swallow some humble pie over Scott. Many even called him a championship level player. As I always said...a player highly rated by Fergie, Mourinho, Ole and even Matic called him a future Manchester United captain. Fans are too quick to judge especially if you don't do stepovers etc. He's always had these skills he just needed confidence to display them. Explains why the club let Herrera leave on a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.