Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I have been a fan for while, but lets not go overboard until he do it regularly in the PL. Not just pre-season.

If he does, lets go nuts.
To McTominay's credit, since Solskjaer's credit he has been doing it regularly in the league. I don't remember the last time he had a bad game, honestly.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
To McTominay's credit, since Solskjaer's credit he has been doing it regularly in the league. I don't remember the last time he had a bad game, honestly.
I agree to some extent. But he has been showing alot more on the ball recentley, playing with bigger risk being more progressive.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I agree to some extent. But he has been showing alot more on the ball recentley, playing with bigger risk being more progressive.
Yeah, fair point actually.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, he was doing few more things at the end of the season like taking more time on the ball to retain possession, making forward runs, shooting from distance but in the preseason he is doing them regularly and then added few more things. He is driving with the ball, making many runs and taking few shots. Most impressive was he is spreading the game with his long passes, something he didn't do in the league. Hopefully he steps up this season.

DoomSlayer

The thing that surprises me the most is his long passing. Never thought McTominay had that in him but I have really high hopes for him now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The thing that surprises me the most is his long passing. Never thought McTominay had that in him but I have really high hopes for him now.
Yeah. It will be really interesting to see if he can keep that up with less time and space on the ball.

DoomSlayer

Yeah. It will be really interesting to see if he can keep that up with less time and space on the ball.
It would be awesome if our whole midfield is able to switch the play, it creates a lot of space and can disrupt the opposition defensive structure if done right.

Scott might not be on Scholes' level in that department (there have been very very few players like that in football history anyway), but he seems to have it in him to be of the required level. We also (still) have Pogba for those wonder passes so hopefully this is the start of something exceptional.

SoCross

Credit to Jose and Ole for placing their trust in Scott and not hesitating to play him in the big games etc. Knowing your manager believes in you really gave Scott the platform to express himself.

Fantastic and long may this progress continues and long may the Caf continue to be positive!

SapperBRed75

Ability is one thing, but getting the licence to take a risk and coaching is what’s going to make the difference long term. He’s seems to be a confident young man, so if he knows he’s not going to get hooked the moment he misses a couple, he’ll find those forward passes with improving quality and frequency. He is a cause for optimism.

United58

He just seems to have that Rio Ferdinand/Didier Drogba mentality about him - when he goes out on the pitch, he's going to war. Every game he seems to be developing technically, the way he's sprayed the ball this pre-season has been magnificent. Really hope he can translate that into the season when we kick off next month. He ended last season reasonably well too - he was quite good against Barcelona, didn't look out of place against them. It'll be criminal if Matic or Fred is playing ahead of him.

He'll be brilliant for Gomes and Greenwood too - he'll show them what keeping your head down and working hard will get you. Fantastic influence in the dressing room. Future captain?

kundalini

People laughed at my reasonable posts in that page.
Respect. Quite amusing reading that.

The striking thing is how certain people are that their prediction is going to be correct.

I've been cautious about McTominay. I first thought he had potential during his first pre-season tour under Mourinho. There were occasional moments of class, a superb cross that Fellaini made a horrible mess of, comes to mind. Then after the Swansea Cup game I could see him developing into a decent player for United but being realistic, there was a 20% chance of it happening at that stage.

I'm bewildered at how hostile some of those posts are given he'd put in decent performances against Sevilla, Chelsea and Liverpool by then. They would make more sense 6 months earlier, though personally I was content with the way he performed against Benfica and Bournemouth. The change of manager was the time when McTominay's United career could easily have come to an end. Scott had to wait until Matic got injured, to get a serious chance in the team under Solskjaer.

Having seen the way the careers of Blackett, McNair and Borthwick-Jackson have gone, it isn't easy to predict how players will develop. In each case, there was a moment in time when I thought they had a 20-30% chance of making 50+ PL starts for United.

Dante

Average bang

The striking thing is how certain people are that their prediction is going to be correct.

I've been cautious about McTominay. I first thought he had potential during his first pre-season tour under Mourinho. There were occasional moments of class, a superb cross that Fellaini made a horrible mess of, comes to mind. Then after the Swansea Cup game I could see him developing into a decent player but being realistic, there was a 20% chance of it happening at that stage.

I'm bewildered at how hostile some of those posts are given he'd put in decent performances against Sevilla, Chelsea and Liverpool by then. They would make more sense 6 months earlier, though personally I was content with the way he performed against Benfica and Bournemouth. The change of manager was the time when McTominay's United career could easily have come to an end. Scott had to wait until Matic got injured, to get a serious chance in the team under Solskjaer.

Having seen the way the careers of Blackett, McNair and Borthwick-Jackson have gone, it isn't easy to predict how players will develop. In each case, there was a moment in time when I thought they had a 20-30% chance of making 50+ PL starts for United.
People love to join a bandwagon.

Jones, Young, Matic and Lingard are the current figures with the strongest meme-verse narratives. Back then, it was 'McTomminay is only playing because Jose is sabotaging United with his height fetish to make a point to Woodward'.

It's difficult to have a rational discussion with posters who only care about following the herd. Thankfully, the pigheaded anti-McTomminay brigade have quietened down enough to have a meaningful debate about his positives and negatives.

Rajma

He simply improved a tone since his first year, people trying to paint the initial doubters in a bad light are crazy. He did 180 on me too, and I absolutely love him but anyone saying his talent was evident back then are nuts.

Prongsy

He simply improved a tone since his first year, people trying to paint the initial doubters in a bad light are crazy. He did 180 on me too, and I absolutely love him but anyone saying his talent was evident back then are nuts.
How rational.

I've been cautious about McTominay. I first thought he had potential during his first pre-season tour under Mourinho. There were occasional moments of class, a superb cross that Fellaini made a horrible mess of, comes to mind. Then after the Swansea Cup game I could see him developing into a decent player for United but being realistic, there was a 20% chance of it happening at that stage.

All I ever saw was a player willing to respond to whatever manager asked and really had this knack for persevering. I was thoroughly floored from minute 1. I just hoped he'd have time to shine when team is doing good too. Cos sadly team just gave up and his spirit was the last one. So it was easy to not take him seriously. Again. I didn't think he'd had this much room to improve at every other role he played. When he scores that goal last year for u23, I realized this kid is a baller :). Anyway. I argued with lots of people as to why we should just keep him and let him grow and they were like, "he is so shit bro". It's baffling even now with lingard. He is a squad player. Which is to say, if he is asked to do a job, least he can and should do is not give away ball and function in the team in whatever we do, there is nothing wrong in having players in that level, however limited they are, who can respond well and simply just work really hard. James milner didn't happen out of random.

Anyway. Good to know how much and how rapid he is developing. He always seemed so mature, but he now talks well and comes across like he is ready to listen to everything Carrick will say to him. And it shows. Am so pleased.

criticalanalysis

The best plays were the half turns.

We need more agility and movement to open up the space in the final third. A midfielder being able to switch a ball from back to goal to facing it helps everyone.

I'm not sure about a two pivot midfield as I would prefer Pogba and Mctominay pushing up with Matic sweeping.

Not confident in Lingard/Mata or some other player shoe horned as a 10.

Unless we bring in Dybala or Fernandes of course..

roonster09

Scout

Tarrou

It was definitely evident back then

Yagami

Good post resistant
I haven't been as impressed by him as most. Pogba, Matic and Pereira have been better, but McTominay has been better than Fred.

His lack of ability to shield the ball when pressed is very evident. It couldve cost us a few times in recent games where he's come deep to get the ball and lost it. Aside from that, he's been okay. Nothing more, though.

Aside from Pogba, our midfield is average and, regardless of who we pair together, is bound to get overrun by decent sides. Herrera as a DM in this setup would've been ideal as he not only covers the ground Fred , Pereira and Scott do, he's good under pressure like Matic, too, which the 3 aforementioned players aren't.

Rish Sawhney

I haven't been as impressed by him as most. Pogba, Matic and Pereira have been better, but McTominay has been better than Fred.

His lack of ability to shield the ball when pressed is very evident. It couldve cost us a few times in recent games where he's come deep to get the ball and lost it. Aside from that, he's been okay. Nothing more, though.

Aside from Pogba, our midfield is average and, regardless of who we pair together, is bound to get overrun by decent sides. Herrera as a DM in this setup would've been ideal as he not only covers the ground Fred , Pereira and Scott do, he's good under pressure like Matic, too, which the 3 aforementioned players aren't.
There's plenty of holes in his game still - he tends to press too hard and has to end up making last ditch tackles, his final ball is still a bit tentative, etc - but I find it it weird that you're criticizing one of the main things he does well and the reason he has been in the team from the get go - he's very good under pressure and rarely loses the ball.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There's plenty of holes in his game still - he tends to press too hard and has to end up making last ditch tackles, his final ball is still a bit tentative, etc - but I find it it weird that you're criticizing one of the main things he does well and the reason he has been in the team from the get go - he's very good under pressure and rarely loses the ball.
I just don't think he is. In fact, bar Matic, none of our CMs are good/consistent at shielding the ball under pressure, imo. Pogba is sometimes good at it, but occasionally gets too cocky holding the ball too long, ends up becoming loose with it, and is easily dispossessed.

roonster09

Scout
I just don't think he is. In fact, bar Matic, none of our CMs are good/consistent at shielding the ball under pressure, imo. Pogba is sometimes good at it, but occasionally gets too cocky holding the ball too long, ends up becoming loose with it, and is easily dispossessed.
IMO McTominay is better at shielding the ball than Matic. Even in the last friendly, Matic lost possession couple of times in our half when they pressed him. McTominay has improved in every aspect of his game, including his composure when pressed.

thepolice123

His composure on the ball has been one of his best traits. Just watch the Liverpool games last season where he had good performances.

Krits

Aye? I don’t know what game you were watching but against a weak Norwegian team Matic looked way worse when pressed than Scott, Scott had one iffy moment in the first half around the 35th-40th minute but recovered.

He is pretty good when pressed. He just didn’t display flair in his initial games. But he has added that a little, by sometimes beating his marker and the ability to pick a killer long pass. I never felt that he was a liability for us, just that united needed someone more proactive and not just a 7/10 player. And he seems to be adding that extra bit to his game.

He'sRaldo

I agree with this, he always looks for the foul in those situations. Luckily for him, he's been getting them, maybe due to his big frame.

Prongsy

IMO McTominay is better at shielding the ball than Matic. Even in the last friendly, Matic lost possession couple of times in our half when they pressed him. McTominay has improved in every aspect of his game, including his composure when pressed.
^This. Its not even a worthy conversation to have, if some one thinks Matic is doing ANY JOB WHATSOEVER shielding the ball. If you generally believe this, with all due respect, you are drunk as feck watching football matches.

Mctominay on other hand, from day 1, 2 years ago, has never been shit at this. he has this insane awareness of how to shield the ball. that fans who watch football can't spot this, is beyond baffling to me. how can you not notice this? do you want terrible youtube compilations for 3 hours with garbage music, to understand how great he is at this?

It was his first trait i really cared for, which is his ability to keep possession. Any weakness he had, early on, and up until now, has nothing to do with his ability to read a game, or dictate, or do things with the ball, but superficially made by fans, who genuinely want more glorious things from a footballer. If you keep expecting him to do incredible things, I dont know what to say to you. he does simple things incredibly well, and has great presence of mind, to survive, in highest of tempos and toughest of games, to mettle it out, and come out without looking compromised. this is so underrated and seriously a cool thing to see a debutant be able to hold. Darren Fletcher on his earliest of days, wasn't even this good.

Matic, is just complete garbage footballer. he has shit first touch. needs more than half a second in tight angles, to come out of it. Mctominay is almost pogba level. you pass to him, and he is around 3 people, he still will find a way out 7 out of 10 times, in smarter simpler effective ways than Matic who 7 out of 10 times, just gives it away, and comes running back to make a professional foul for a yellow almost 15 seconds after that.

As good as mctominay is at box to box, the fact that he has this somewhat good head on him to make faster plays, makes him invaluable at CDM over any player we may potentially sign. For all I know. mcsauce has ability someday to be as good as Pogba at box to box, but knowing what he can do with limited time on the ball, and close control, he is just way way way better used at CDM, than at box to box at this point of our team. considering we only have to play matic there other wise. and people who somehow magically think matic is good at this, have no clue whatsoever how many games we just couldn't connect 7 passes from defense to attack, because matic is just too languid and useless. we signed him to be way way way way better than that. and Mctominay is already doing exactly those things. He is literally doing things what we expected Bastian f*cking Schweinsteiger to be able to do. and we just aren't allowing ourselves to believe in the hype and let this kid do this thing.

United58

His composure on the ball has been one of his best traits. Just watch the Liverpool games last season where he had good performances.
Even against Barcelona he was fantastic, really didn't look out of place (though they are admittedly a far cry from the team of the early/mid 10s). Love how much he's improving, and the speed at which he's growing in to a multi-skilled midfielder - it was many seasons before Fletcher became a fantastic player for us, hopefully Scott can eclipse Darren's achievements with us.

I think he is a potential future captain for us.
Agree completely - watching his interviews, he's like a veteran with that Rio/Evra hunger in his eyes - he's 100% behind the team and club in every game. Brilliant personality to have in the dressing room. Hopefully he can help Greenwood, Gomes et al. in their development into squad regulars.

Vaibhav Raj

Like a lot of folks on here, the way he has looked and played in the pre season this far has taken me by surprise as well. He has been immense when driving from midfield. But then again, I keep telling myself these are preseason games and well, Manchester United seem to have the kind of players who would look like world beaters in friendlies and training sessions but cower when the PL pressure is on and the opposition is not holding back in testing their ability. I certainly do hope that is not the case with McTominay and that we are all truly witnessing a player living up to the hype created around him ever since the stories of Sir Alex recommending him to Mourinho came up.

Edit: I understand he has been playing decent since the end of last season but to me it felt like he will still be inconsistent and okay well every now and then when allowed the freedom. In these friendlies, he has played on a whole lot different and improved level, consistently.

macheda14

Like a lot of folks on here, the way he has looked and played in the pre season this far has taken me by surprise as well. He has been immense when driving from midfield. But then again, I keep telling myself these are preseason games and well, Manchester United seem to have the kind of players who would look like world beaters in friendlies and training sessions but cower when the PL pressure is on and the opposition is not holding back in testing their ability. I certainly do hope that is not the case with McTominay and that we are all truly witnessing a player living up to the hype created around him ever since the stories of Sir Alex recommending him to Mourinho came up.
He's already proven himself to thrive under pressure last season

Vaibhav Raj

He's already proven himself to thrive under pressure last season
Yeah. I edited my post to make amends and mention the decent shifts put in last season. I just felt like these performances he has been putting in during the friendlies are a level above and he seems to be showing signs of possiblity of even more improvements and quality.

billybee99

^This. Its not even a worthy conversation to have, if some one thinks Matic is doing ANY JOB WHATSOEVER shielding the ball. If you generally believe this, with all due respect, you are drunk as feck watching football matches.

Mctominay on other hand, from day 1, 2 years ago, has never been shit at this. he has this insane awareness of how to shield the ball. that fans who watch football can't spot this, is beyond baffling to me. how can you not notice this? do you want terrible youtube compilations for 3 hours with garbage music, to understand how great he is at this?

It was his first trait i really cared for, which is his ability to keep possession. Any weakness he had, early on, and up until now, has nothing to do with his ability to read a game, or dictate, or do things with the ball, but superficially made by fans, who genuinely want more glorious things from a footballer. If you keep expecting him to do incredible things, I dont know what to say to you. he does simple things incredibly well, and has great presence of mind, to survive, in highest of tempos and toughest of games, to mettle it out, and come out without looking compromised. this is so underrated and seriously a cool thing to see a debutant be able to hold. Darren Fletcher on his earliest of days, wasn't even this good.

Matic, is just complete garbage footballer. he has shit first touch. needs more than half a second in tight angles, to come out of it. Mctominay is almost pogba level. you pass to him, and he is around 3 people, he still will find a way out 7 out of 10 times, in smarter simpler effective ways than Matic who 7 out of 10 times, just gives it away, and comes running back to make a professional foul for a yellow almost 15 seconds after that.

As good as mctominay is at box to box, the fact that he has this somewhat good head on him to make faster plays, makes him invaluable at CDM over any player we may potentially sign. For all I know. mcsauce has ability someday to be as good as Pogba at box to box, but knowing what he can do with limited time on the ball, and close control, he is just way way way better used at CDM, than at box to box at this point of our team. considering we only have to play matic there other wise. and people who somehow magically think matic is good at this, have no clue whatsoever how many games we just couldn't connect 7 passes from defense to attack, because matic is just too languid and useless. we signed him to be way way way way better than that. and Mctominay is already doing exactly those things. He is literally doing things what we expected Bastian f*cking Schweinsteiger to be able to do. and we just aren't allowing ourselves to believe in the hype and let this kid do this thing.
Jesus, what a nightmare of a post. You need to look up the definition of"hyperbole" because you use it at embarrassing levels.

Prongsy

Jesus, what a nightmare of a post. You need to look up the definition of"hyperbole" because you use it at embarrassing levels.
I could give a feck. I've posted about 15 posts about Mctominay. Go through them all. What is hyperbole to you, is not to me. What is ordinary for people to assume about how acceptable is Matic, is cringe worthy to me.

So silly to just quote half a line and cap it. Do you actually think I meant to say Scott is every bit as good on the ball as Pogba is at all times? Easily not. In that fecking line, almost pogba level is to compare how good he is in keeping the ball rotating. and yes, he is that good. you may not think it. you are wrong. you dont have to come here and call people names for you being an absolute average observer of football.

and wow, and capitalizing "For all I know, Mcsauce has ability to someday to be as good as Pogba" without for all I know, just to continue with this garbage post. why do you even try? not a single actual point about football ability. Bet they picked you to care about quality of forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.