6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside1989

Really impressed with him this season, has done so well considering how few games he has still played. Love his attitude and drive and with the right development he could be an excellent player for us going forward. If he could add a more consistent final pass he could be even better

Bestietom

I like him because when he loses the ball he will chase after it and do his best to win it back.

haram

He's a liability when defending. He's successfully the more attacking trio in Juve Pirlo-Marchisio-Pogba midfield, so maybe not as a pure 10.
True but he offers a lot in deeper areas when we are trying to build attacks. If it’s not a pure 10 then it’s leaning towards an 8.

dev1l

True but he offers a lot in deeper areas when we are trying to build attacks. If it’s not a pure 10 then it’s leaning towards an 8.
If he s between a 10 and an 8, he s definitely a 9 then..:)

Yagami

Good post resistant
He is a box to box midfielder, we cannot go back to the Pogba - McTominay midfield.
I think we can all agree on this but, judging by Ole's comments posted in this thread, he still sees him as potential DM, so, unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to that midfield duo.

Hopefully that's not the case, though!

dev1l

Ole said that they re looking to transform him into a "sitting midfielder"

Still works in progress though

sugar_kane

Had to single handedly run our midfield yesterday with Mata's legs completely gone and Matic seemingly incapable of doing anything right.

The best thing to come out of Mourinho's reign by far, an absolute warrior.

Andersons Dietician

I disagree, not only was he very good, but I don't think anyone played that badly

People forget that this is a very good Leicester side, and yet we looked comfortable enough throughout.

True we didn't create a lot, but a) that'll be the case for a lot of games this season due to the players at our disposal and b) it'll definitely be the case without arguably ouror two best attacking players
I don’t think the opposition made that much of a difference because we were creating our own mistakes and just playing and making weird choices on the pitch with people not picking runs or making runs which led to the lack of creation and chances. We just played poorly.

McT had a part to play in that and as I said he was caught on the ball a few times or harried in to a mistake. He might have been the best of a bad bunch and there was one lovely switched ball he did play first half but if people are going to call that a good performance then people really are dropping their standards.

John Blund

McT has grown on me the last few seasons. I'm hoping he'll make a duo with Fred/a new signing. McT and Kanté would be like an FM-hack-duo. Then Pogba could play as 10, playing as many sloppy/risky passes as he desired.

He needs more help than he gets from Matic and Pogba as a holding midfielder. Else we should change the formation to a more defined role for McT (4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 if you like.)
His passing is rather good, but don't expect him to do anything creative.

Tosicsleftpeg

Good player, still young too so is going to make mistakes. People expect every young player to be like Frankie De Jong buy you have to be a realist. He puts in massive effort and is important to the team at the moment.

Grande

I don’t think the opposition made that much of a difference because we were creating our own mistakes and just playing and making weird choices on the pitch with people not picking runs or making runs which led to the lack of creation and chances. We just played poorly.

McT had a part to play in that and as I said he was caught on the ball a few times or harried in to a mistake. He might have been the best of a bad bunch and there was one lovely switched ball he did play first half but if people are going to call that a good performance then people really are dropping their standards.
I think in all game we have played some good stuff and some bad stuff, ironically we have won the two games where our general play was at it’s weakest, and lost points when we have played more of the good stuff. Saturday I thought we played fairly good the first 20 minutes, and the last 20 minutes (which were unfortunately broken up by a host of free kicks, scuffles, injuries and players coming on), and apart from that we were mostly good defensively and poorly when attacking. McTominay to me stood up well in midfield against Thielemans, Maddison and N’didi, particularly when Maic’s legs were gone after 30 mins. McTom is decent but not brilliant at ball retrntion, and when Mata had an off day and neither of James, Rashford or Pereira is too adept at ball retention, it’s going to be tough for someone like McTominay.

He still makes mistakes, but I thought he had as good a game as any of the Leicester players fans have wanted us to buy.

red4ever 79

Good legs, good efforts, has the right attitude. Let's see how he progresses. Give the kid a break I prefer to have lads like this in the team who care than some of the others

Litch

Good legs, good efforts, has the right attitude. Let's see how he progresses. Give the kid a break I prefer to have lads like this in the team who care than some of the others
Agree. Hes improving which is what you want from young players. Must admit he's surprised me by how much and you see things each game where you think, didn't see that in him.

VJ1762

He has improved a lot since he first came through. You can see that the occasion does not faze him. But we really need a solid DM to complement him and Pogba.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loved the challenge with Chilwell, he certainly seems to be channelling his inner Roy Keane. Wonder if Ole has been showing him videos of how he played, as they have a very similar style.

He took the ball cleanly but was so forceful he left him in a mess, don't remember him doing much after that.

Based Adnan

Don't wanna hear anyone saying 'we wouldn't be looking at him if he played for another team' when he dominated Ndidi, Choudhury and Tielemans. All players that are massively rated and we should have been in for according to United fans.

He'sRaldo

I reckon throughout the season he'll be praised in games like Leceister, and slated when we have to play teams who sit deep, especially if he keeps playing as a DM.

However, his passing range seems to be improving slowly so you never know. If he could learn to control the ball in deeper areas he could very well transition into a solid DM.

He'sRaldo

I reckon it's the presence of Matic rather than the absence of Pogba that helped. Especially since we essentially created no open-play chances that game.

Neither Pogba nor Scott are DM's, they both need a DM beside them to play at their best. They'll both look better playing in a 3 with Matic.

Stacks

Think he is proving he is definately a premier league level midfielder at the very least. This isn't meant as an insult as some of our midfielders haven't in the past and demonstrates our academy produces players regularly who can play at Prem level as opposed to ending up in league one or the championship like most

In Rainbows

I reckon it's the presence of Matic rather than the absence of Pogba that helped. Especially since we essentially created no open-play chances that game.

Neither Pogba nor Scott are DM's, they both need a DM beside them to play at their best. They'll both look better playing in a 3 with Matic.
Yep, it's a dumb comment from him. What does he expect when both aren't DM's, holding midfielders, destroyers, nor the metronome midfielder.

Don't wanna hear anyone saying 'we wouldn't be looking at him if he played for another team' when he dominated Ndidi, Choudhury and Tielemans. All players that are massively rated and we should have been in for according to United fans.
Important to keep perspective. United had less possession at home. Ndidi is a destroyer, not some passer or creative player. So McTominay's job doesn't affect his performance when it's clear Scott's job is to provide energy to the side, while helping out defensively.

Matt007a

Been impressed with his performances this season. He really puts himself about and has the steely mentality that we lack elsewhere on the pitch.

With a proper holding player and Pogba playing as a 10, he'd be a great third member of the midfield doing a bit of both jobs in the box to box role.

He's not the most talented player in the world but it goes to show where the right mentality and application can take you in the game. A bit like Milner in that sense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I think this is a very important point.

Lots of talk today that we're looking at Maddison. For me he'd be a nice to have but he's not essential to have. Its been years since Carrick retired and we still haven't bought in a defensive midfielder who can screen our back four and build our attacks. You put Michael Carrick of 6/7 years ago next to Pogba or McTominay and the level of the team goes up like a rocket.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing to do with Pogba's absence, it's just they play different roles when in the team together.

When Pogba plays Mctominay is more defensive, when Matic plays Mctominay plays more offensive. Nothing special to see here.

Scott had a good B2B performance but we still created very little chances, something that may have changed had Pogba been in the team instead of Matic, we will never know.

I still feel they can happily play together, But i'd prefer Pogba to be higher with Mctominay playing the same role.

criticalanalysis

Nothing to do with Pogba's absence, it's just they play different roles when in the team together.

When Pogba plays Mctominay is more defensive, when Matic plays Mctominay plays more offensive. Nothing special to see here.

Scott had a good B2B performance but we still created very little chances, something that may have changed had Pogba been in the team instead of Matic, we will never know.

I still feel they can happily play together, But i'd prefer Pogba to be higher with Mctominay playing the same role.
Isn't the most obvious and ridiculously glaring option that Ole and many fans seem to miss, is that Pogba should be playing in place of Mata/Lingard, or any other crap that is shoehorned in front of him? It should be all three of Pogba, McTominay and Matic/Fred.

We played against a genuinely crap Leicester midfield, created little from open play and yet we still want to play Pogba in a two. Then we continue to give minutes to Mata/Lingard and then clamour for these 8/10 solutions (Eriksen, Maddison, Fernandes etc), who on their day aren't good as Pogba anyways.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is his passing compared to the other better DMs? His passing appears to need improvement to me.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has that gif of his moment of Scholes been posted in here yet?

USREDEVIL

Big McTominay fan. Really gives his all and he's quite sharp. If he played for another team i reckon we'd be demanding to sign him for some unreasonable fee.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
we should try a midfield of
...........Fred........... Mct.......
...................Pogba......

haram

If you don't rate him you should stop watching sports altogether.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's been good. If we'd signed him in the summer as the 'Herrera replacement' we'd be happy so far.

Robbie Boy

Big McTominay fan. Really gives his all and he's quite sharp. If he played for another team i reckon we'd be demanding to sign him for some unreasonable fee.
Yup most definitely. Considering the weird following Rice has on here - and given that McT is a-lot better - there would certainly be a demand to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.