6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

He is a very limited footballer. Does a lot considering these limitations but I don't think he'll ever become a top midfielder for us.

Augustus Gloop

Thought he was 6/10. Nowhere near as bad as some are saying. De Gea and Lingard were the culprits that collapsed the entire game for us today.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ole had a better player than him but chose to let him go. McT is too inconsistent to be a mainstay in the team right now, but our midfield has been gutted to the bare bones so he has to start all the time. It's a shame to see him playing this badly as I think he's a much better player than this.
You talking about Herrera or Fellaini?

Ole wanted Herrera to stay but he'd already decided to leave because of how things went for him under Mourinho. As for Fellaini, McTominay is definitely a better central midfielder. Fellaini was a very good 'role' player where he could be asked to do one thing and he'd do it bloody well, but he was worse than McTominay when it came to playing a normal central midfield role.

SmallCaine

Thought he was 6/10. Nowhere near as bad as some are saying. De Gea and Lingard were the culprits that collapsed the entire game for us today.
They had bad moments he had a bad game. He kept giving away the ball every chance he got, their midfield killed us today and fred definitely wasn't at fault for that.

izec

He was terrible on the ball, no midfielder at United should make so many errors on the ball and with his passing, no two ways about it. The standard has to be set higher than Kleberson, Djemba Djemba and Fortune.

Someone told me a few weeks ago he is a great midfielder, nope. He is a good fighter and can have good moments, but he is nowhere near a great midfielder right now. Needs to keep improving, especially on the ball.

acnumber9

He’s not really a midfielder for bossing games against teams we’re expected to beat. He’s a destroyer and a runner which is why he stands out when we play better teams. When we have most of the ball he doesn’t do enough. Good squad player but he’s not a starter for a title challenger.

Andersons Dietician

I really want this kid to do well and be the answer so much so that during the week I was really questioning if we should buy Saúl or Fabian if it’s an option or see what McT has. Had to slap myself Because of course we need to sign someone.
His passing is just so mediocre. Today Shaw is making a run in to space and McT has spotted it but the pass is so poor and short Shaw has to come inside to collect it and practically stop his run. Too many times his passes are all over the place, too short, too long, knee high or nowhere near the person.

There was one today where he fired it at Lindelof who was so close to him and I’m surprised Lindelof managed to control it. Knee high as well with people around him. Just feel like there is still a huge amount of work needed in terms of personal for this team. Too many squad players masquerading as first teamers.

cyberman

He’s not really a midfielder for bossing games against teams we’re expected to beat. He’s a destroyer and a runner which is why he stands out when we play better teams. When we have most of the ball he doesn’t do enough. Good squad player but he’s not a starter for a title challenger.
Hes meant to protect us from teams going the othetr way. Be it the defence behind us, DDG etc it doesnt seem to be working.
Look at City who are being killed by direct threat through the middle. We need a Scott to protect us from that.
Nobody is trying to be Barca 08 here.
Scott wasnt the problem today, I dont know why people immediately point to him. Our defence and number 10 were tragically at fault today.
We could have prime Busquets playing for us but if sides sit back then you dont really build from deep. You just carry the ball out.
Edit if anything we build from the back v the top sides and thats where Scott shines. Which goes against the notion he is poor on the ball. Its when he tries to add balance to the midfield and its Fred getting forward is when we suffer

Woodenlung

Henderson is the footballer McTominay wishes he was. McTom has the potential to be a decent midfield shuttler. That's about it.

Red00012

I’ve said it all along he’s a squad player but he’s 1st choice because we have no options and we have left our standards drop to this level.

criticalanalysis

Had a poor game but until we see Pogba regularly in front of him and Fred, I'd reserve being overly criticial on these kind of performances.

Absolutely left hung out to dry with Lingard in the middle of the park.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t want him to be bashed at all. I think he’s come on massively, but of course, I think people were getting way ahead of themselves earlier in the season. Ultimately, we could do with two more midfielders to start, with Scott, Fred and Jesse being the next 3.

But he’s a trustworthy member of the squad who will always give his best. In certain games he would be particularly invaluable. But can’t be starting for United by default, it is damning.

LJJT

He had a poor game today. I think he and Fred are encouraged to play forward passes and be positive but it isnt either players forte. A few early poor forward passes I think knocked his confidence and it just got worse from there. Worst game I’ve seen him have but it’s inevitable- he’s an inexperienced kid

Augustus Gloop

They had bad moments he had a bad game. He kept giving away the ball every chance he got, their midfield killed us today and fred definitely wasn't at fault for that.

No, De Gea and Lingard had bad games, you could argue Scott had bad moments. He didn’t “keep giving the ball away” and Fred was poor. Did you watch the game?

IrishMcD

I’ve said it all along he’s a squad player but he’s 1st choice because we have no options and we have left our standards drop to this level.
Exactly this, our standards have fallen of a cliff in recent years and he isn't anywhere near good enough to be a regular starter for a club with serious ambitions. I don't dislike the kid, he has lots of redeeming features like workrate and desire but unfortunately technical ability and footballing intelligence aren't some of them.
But when you have very average players like Lingard, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Matic, Mata, Young......all still part of match day squads, then you can see why his limitations are often overlooked.
We are in a mess at the minute, and I still read comments from people who think we are 3 players away from challenging.

acnumber9

Hes meant to protect us from teams going the othetr way. Be it the defence behind us, DDG etc it doesnt seem to be working.
Look at City who are being killed by direct threat through the middle. We need a Scott to protect us from that.
Nobody is trying to be Barca 08 here.
Scott wasnt the problem today, I dont know why people immediately point to him. Our defence and number 10 were tragically at fault today.
We could have prime Busquets playing for us but if sides sit back then you dont really build from deep. You just carry the ball out.
Edit if anything we build from the back v the top sides and thats where Scott shines. Which goes against the notion he is poor on the ball. Its when he tries to add balance to the midfield and its Fred getting forward is when we suffer
I like McTominay but when you play in midfield you need to get on the ball more. He doesn’t show for it enough. He needs to improve that side of his game.

TsuWave

Such a limited player. You know someone is shite when his attributes are “showing passion and that he cares”. Another player that gets by on doing cardio routines but is nowhere near what United needs to play football

dev1l

Like most of young players,he had s couple of not so good games.
Happens with young players- that s why we need to beef up the squad

Dante

Average bang
He plays the obvious pass 95 times out of 100.

The problem is that so do Fred, Lingard, Martial and James. Rashford's a little bit better, with something creative maybe 15 times out of 100.

All of that is fine in a game that's stretched. There were obvious passes to pick against City and Spurs, so we looked great in those matches.

But if we're going to be a serious about challenging, we need at least 3 players in the front 6 who can pick the non-obvious pass at least 20 times out of 100. Pogba is one. Sancho might be another. If we can get an additional man in midfield, that could potentially be enough.

McTominay is fantastic at what he does. He could easily be a cog in the machine. But he needs the right players around him. They would elevate him and he could elevate them.

The current squad doesn't do that, except in the big matches.

R'hllor

There is absolutely nothing wrong to have players like him in the squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is good to see that you are finally able to enjoy life again. Watching McTominay finally having a poor game must have been a huge relief for you! :)
I’m assuming, based on the emoji, that this was in jest or sarcasm, although your statement is the sort of response I’d expected to be fair.

Anyway, for that to be true, it would require me to be in agreement with you that this bad game has ‘finally’ come about. For you to make the statement you have made, I think it’s pretty obvious that my personal view is that his poor games have not begun today, so this makes no difference for me, only it seems that this is a new experience for others, yourself included perhaps.

I’ve seen him play worse and get praised more, so I clearly see him differently than others. That said, before you suggest it’s an agenda, I think it’s fair to say that I have always gone into great detail about my concerns so that others can understand where they come from. I didn’t notice anything particularly different with his performance today. This was just Scott McTominay to me. Was he some sort of great passer before today or something? He’s put in pass completions in the 60s already this season if I’m not mistaken.

OneUnited24

He is a great player, but had a bad game.
Completely agree. He's in a spot of bad form at the moment which is expected of a young player (he just turned 23 ffs).

While he wasnt great yesterday as soon as he went off i thought we lost a bit of urgency and control

Champagne Football

When we're playing a top 4 team, Scott McT should be the first name on the team sheet. When we are playing a relegation team he should be benched. He's a Darren Fletcher clone. Can be world class when played in the right situations, or can be a problem in the team if played in the wrong situations.

Our current midfield is like Fergie going a whole season with only Darren Fletcher and Darron Gibson as his only 2 CM's playing together in every single game.

Throw Lingard into that midfield mix, and that's like Fergie having a midfield 3 of Fletcher, Gibson and Djemba Djemba.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

He will be a great servant for the club and a vital squad player for us in our next great side but if we're going to go anywhere we need players with real quality on the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His passing has always been a worry. He can hit a beauty to the flank once in awhile and it's not as if he can't pick a pass, but if we are ever to become a top team we do have to prioritize excellence in passing, ball control, vision etc. And while Mctominay is a solid all rounder, I've never believed we should assume that he's a nailed on starter for the next decade, simply becuase he is very hit and miss on the ball. It seems some we've 'sorter' one CM spot because of him which is silly. He's good and can play a strong role in our squad over the years which is as far as I'd go.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When we're playing a top 4 team, Scott McT should be the first name on the team sheet. When we are playing a relegation team he should be benched. He's a Darren Fletcher clone. Can be world class when played in the right situations, or can be a problem in the team if played in the wrong situations.

Our current midfield is like Fergie going a whole season with only Darren Fletcher and Darron Gibson as his only 2 CM's playing together in every single game.

Throw Lingard into that midfield mix, and that's like Fergie having a midfield 3 of Fletcher, Gibson and Djemba Djemba.
Fletcher's passing was far better than Mctominay. What Mctominay is better at is his physicality, pace and shooting.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought he was very bad today, he kept losing possession. 6/10 is way too kind. 3/10 or 4/10 if you ask me, we are talking about the bottom team of the league here not some kind of midtable team. This game, Newcastle & Bournemouth were his poor games.

However, none is worse or equally as bad as DDG & Lingard today, they both were 1/10 IMO, just zero positive in that game. While, at least McTominay showed a bit of some good forward passes in early first half. End of first half & second half, he was dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.