5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Gilmour is/was an up and coming player highly regarded by many, and probably more valuable than McTominay, especially considering he is also a regular in his national team and was back when he was sold.
Jorginho was/is a regular starter for a trophy winning international side and was sold to a major rival,
Bakayoko was signed for a huge fee and sold for precisely nothing.

To say Chelsea would get £40m for McTominay is a fallacy, history tells us this.
You are talking crap.

Jorginho, 31, was not a starter for them in that period and they did not agree on an extension. That they got 10m was great business, as he would have left on a free this summer. How can you compare him to McTominay?

That they paid a high fee for Bakayoko is irrelevant. He is shit, and everyone knew it. So they loaned him to Italy, which worked initially. But he had injury issues and no one wanted to buy him for the price they demanded. See Ndombele for reference as well. Bought for a high amount, loaned around in France and Italy, no one bought him yet. Again, how is this comparable to McTominay specifically? They both failed, no one is buying players that fail completely and dont make their mark in other leagues after that. And has no relevance or comparability to McTominay, who made it at United.

Billy Gilmour. 11 games for Chelsea in total. Tuchel used him a bit, then they loaned him out to Norwich. He got injured and faded from there. Norwich got relegated. Went back to Chelsea. Sold for 10m to Brighton. There was an initial hype, but that was also the case for Josh McEachran. Again, not established at all and Brighton got a decent deal for a player who was almost never in Chelseas PL squad and would probably never start a game for them. 10m is a decent deal for them as well for deadwood.

McTominay has 131 games for United and 39 games for Scotland and is 26, can play multiple positions and has no injury issues. He isnt on high wages either. Established United and Scotland player. Like i said, if there is one player from Chelsea you want to compare him to, it is Gallagher. And you know they would sell him for 30-40m. They rejected a higher offer (45m from Everton) last summer.

Now you can also ask yourself why is Gallagher so expensive and Gilmour only 10m. If you know the difference, you will know why McTominay should not be sold for under 30m. Now if you dont rate him and would take 10m, that is your problem. However, this is far under market value. He is worth more and clubs that sell well would get a decent amount for him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You are talking crap.

Jorginho, 31, was not a starter for them in that period and they did not agree on an extension. That they got 10m was great business, as he would have left on a free this summer. How can you compare him to McTominay?

That they paid a high fee for Bakayoko is irrelevant. He is shit, and everyone knew it. So they loaned him to Italy, which worked initially. But he had injury issues and no one wanted to buy him for the price they demanded. See Ndombele for reference as well. Bought for a high amount, loaned around in France and Italy, no one bought him yet. Again, how is this comparable to McTominay specifically? They both failed, no one is buying players that fail completely and dont make their mark in other leagues after that. And has no relevance or comparability to McTominay, who made it at United.

Billy Gilmour. 11 games for Chelsea in total. Tuchel used him a bit, then they loaned him out to Norwich. He got injured and faded from there. Norwich got relegated. Went back to Chelsea. Sold for 10m to Brighton. There was an initial hype, but that was also the case for Josh McEachran. Again, not established at all and Brighton got a decent deal for a player who was almost never in Chelseas PL squad and would probably never start a game for them. 10m is a decent deal for them as well for deadwood.

McTominay has 131 games for United and 39 games for Scotland and is 26, can play multiple positions and has no injury issues. He isnt on high wages either. Established United and Scotland player. Like i said, if there is one player from Chelsea you want to compare him to, it is Gallagher. And you know they would sell him for 30-40m. They rejected a higher offer (45m from Everton) last summer.

Now you can also ask yourself why is Gallagher so expensive and Gilmour only 10m. If you know the difference, you will know why McTominay should not be sold for under 30m. Now if you dont rate him and would take 10m, that is your problem. However, this is far under market value. He is worth more and clubs that sell well would get a decent amount for him.
McTominay is easily worth £25m for sure, hell I don't want to sell him.

All I'm saying here is to claim Chelsea are this amazing selling team is a fallacy.

Selling Gilmour for the amount they did was a terrible decision, not getting anything back from Bakayoko likewise (they were happy to pick up loan fees instead),
Selling Jorginho came back to bite them big time, look at his performances for Arsenal.

You can throw Emerson in there as well, a small fee for someone in his prime, still a national player and got a lot to give.
Hell, you can even chuck Werner in there.

Gallagher hasn't been sold, so we have no idea of his value currently.

If you believe Gilmour was worth £10m, or Bakayoko should be free or Jorginho is only worth £12m then that's fine.

Skills

Snitch
You are talking crap.

About 120 too many

quethenoo

Fecking hero for us. 5 goals in qualifying, far better pushing up the pitch. Think he will be sold but I will be sad to lose him as a squad player.
This is clear, he's a decent player if you play him where he's effective and he can certainly finish. I would be a bit sad to lose him even if it might be for the best, taking of my jock tinted specs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fecking hero for us. 5 goals in qualifying, far better pushing up the pitch. Think he will be sold but I will be sad to lose him as a squad player.
It's better for us if he does get sold and establishes himself as a starter!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is clear, he's a decent player if you play him where he's effective and he can certainly finish. I would be a bit sad to lose him even if it might be for the best, taking of my jock tinted specs.
Absolutely, very comfortable higher up and a legit goal threat. Yeah, it probably would be but :(

It's better for us if he does get sold and establishes himself as a starter!
True enough! And better for him too and while I may have my jock tinted specs (cheers @quethenoo :lol:) I will be sad to see him go.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absolutely, very comfortable higher up and a legit goal threat. Yeah, it probably would be but :(

True enough! And better for him too and while I may have my jock tinted specs (cheers @quethenoo :lol:) I will be sad to see him go.
I think he would be perfect for us under Dyche tbf but we just don't have that kind of money to drop on a CM as we are pretty well stocked there.

Vault Dweller

I think he would be perfect for us under Dyche tbf but we just don't have that kind of money to drop on a CM as we are pretty well stocked there.
Great shout, think he would do very well for youse. Definitely interested to see who actually goes for him.

So happy with the result last night too. On a great run the now.

Joosep_K

Supports
Nõmme Kalju
There's your striker :)
Can´t be worse than Weghorst I think.
Anyway, sell quick! Strike while the iron is hot.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we only got 15m for him then questions need to be asked why. He’s at least a 25m valuation
Redcafe - "Why are we so crap at selling players for decent money?!"

Also Redcafe - "We should sell a proven PL midfielder, who played 40 times for us last season for £15m"

edgecutter

Indeed. And a goal machine. And a Scotland hero. £60 million or no deal.
We'll do what we always do. Keep him here like lingard, not use him because he's not very good, let him leave on a free when we could have got a fee for him and then watch him sit on the bench for a mid to lower end premier league club. Then it will slowly dawn on people that he was never good enough and we missed an opportunity.

If Fred, who blows hot and cold, is considered better than you, he simply has no future here. Get 30-40 million for him.

El Zoido

Also Redcafe - "We should sell a proven PL midfielder, who played 40 times for us last season for £15m"
You’re right, but I think fans are just tired of certain players sticking around year after year and just want them gone.

Eplel

Don’t be silly. We can get good money for him
Course we can, because he's home-grown.
But my point is that keeping him would be the biggest loss. He's not an asset to the team, beyond the few millions we can get, and playing him has been proved to be a mistake again and again.

Siorac

The problem is that being shite for us regularly doesn't really increase his value. He's PL proven in the sense that he's proven to be a terrible footballer in the Premier League.

Of course Premier League clubs buy all shorts of shite for baffling money. But if we're asking for 25-30m... surely any interested club can find better for that price? I refuse to believe they couldn't find more talented players than Scott fecking McTominay on the continent.

Then again we sold Obertan and Richardson for actual money so what do I know.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Course we can, because he's home-grown.
But my point is that keeping him would be the biggest loss. He's not an asset to the team, beyond the few millions we can get, and playing him has been proved to be a mistake again and again.
Ironically homegrown might be an argument for keeping him, depending on how close we are to the quota.

but assuming we are selling him we can get the financial benefits of him being homegrown AND a bit of extra cash from his sale

golden_blunder

Staff
The problem is that being shite for us regularly doesn't really increase his value. He's PL proven in the sense that he's proven to be a terrible footballer in the Premier League.

Of course Premier League clubs buy all shorts of shite for baffling money. But if we're asking for 25-30m... surely any interested club can find better for that price? I refuse to believe they couldn't find more talented players than Scott fecking McTominay on the continent.

Not back to the old arguments of not good enough for PL again. They are just hot air.
Of course he’s good enough for the PL, he’s just not consistent enough for Manchester United level and the level we aspire to be.
could he play for Villa, Palace, Everton etc. absolutely and they will find a way to extract his best qualities. He’s always been playing slightly wrong for United. His best stuff comes from making runs into the box. He’s a good finisher. He’s good in the air. He’s only 26. He will flourish at another team

Vault Dweller

We'll do what we always do. Keep him here like lingard, not use him because he's not very good, let him leave on a free when we could have got a fee for him and then watch him sit on the bench for a mid to lower end premier league club. Then it will slowly dawn on people that he was never good enough and we missed an opportunity.

If Fred, who blows hot and cold, is considered better than you, he simply has no future here. Get 30-40 million for him.
I wouldn't agree with that. McT plays a lot, had injuries the last few months so limited playing time but I woudn't say Fred is considered better.

Siorac

I wouldn't agree with that. McT plays a lot, had injuries the last few months so limited playing time but I woudn't say Fred is considered better.
He should be. Fred is twice the player, always has been. Doesn't mean Fred is great - he isn't - but he's far superior to McTominay.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He should be. Fred is twice the player, always has been. Doesn't mean Fred is great - he isn't - but he's far superior to McTominay.
Agreed. Fred has his uses in terms of intercepting and ball carrying. Whereas Mctominay's second touch is so often a tackle.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t know why people have to compare them, they are both different players with their own strengths and weaknesses.
if I was chasing a goal for example I’d choose McTominay over Fred but if closing a game down I’d do the reverse

Siorac

Not back to the old arguments of not good enough for PL again. They are just hot air.
Of course he’s good enough for the PL, he’s just not consistent enough for Manchester United level and the level we aspire to be.
could he play for Villa, Palace, Everton etc. absolutely and they will find a way to extract his best qualities. He’s always been playing slightly wrong for United. His best stuff comes from making runs into the box. He’s a good finisher. He’s good in the air. He’s only 26. He will flourish at another team
He might flourish but these teams really have no reason to pay 30m for him, that's the point. That's what Villa paid for Dendoncker and Coutinho. Combined.

15-20m is more than fair price for McTominay, sadly.

golden_blunder

Staff
He might flourish but these teams really have no reason to pay 30m for him, that's the point. That's what Villa paid for Dendoncker and Coutinho. Combined.

15-20m is more than fair price for McTominay, sadly.
Palace would have paid 30m for Gallagher , that was on loan and scoring goals from midfield. McTominay can do the same. No reason why we shouldn’t get 25m min with more in clauses

daba

Maybe
Maybe you cash in on Onana and buy McTominay for a net profit. Given the state you’re in it’s probably not a bad play if you can find a £50m suitor for Onana.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Maybe

Maybe you cash in on Onana and buy McTominay for a net profit. Given the state you’re in it’s probably not a bad play if you can find a £50m suitor for Onana.
While I agree that cashing in on Onana would be ideal to fund our transfers this summer, the priorities are our strikers and fullbacks/wingers. CM is one of the positions we have decent depth in, even with Onana leaving. The fee that McT would demand (c. 30m) is probably too much for us and we would be in the region of c. 20m? at the very most. We are also in the position where we dropped a big fee on Onana because there was a high chance we could sell higher later on. That doesn't really apply with McT.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Newcastle were always going to move on to better players this summer, and frankly, their interest in Scott was baffling in the first place. Now they are chasing the likes of Tonali, Barella and others, I can’t see who will offer us an acceptable fee for McTominay.

I’d have sold him to them in January as this was predictable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

He hasn't though, he's proven he's not good enough to be starting for us sure, but he has played hundreds of games for us in midfield and we've competed. He's had crap games, he's had excellent games, but he's clearly not some terrible footballer that can't hack it in the Premier League.

Look at Andreas - absolutely briliant for a club like Fulham. McT would look just as good for a midtable side in my opinion.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Palace would have paid 30m for Gallagher , that was on loan and scoring goals from midfield. McTominay can do the same. No reason why we shouldn’t get 25m min with more in clauses
What are his wages though? 25-30m sounds fair given the going rates in the market right now, but if his wages are high, that could bring down the fee a bit to compensate.

RedStarUnited

United fans are too sentimental. Players like this guy should be getting sold to allow us to get players who will really take us to the next level!

Status
Not open for further replies.