Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Spare a moment for McTominay who with any luck won't get much game time now ... Should be firmly seen as the backup to an indispensable player in the starting 11.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Spare a moment for McTominay who with any luck won't get much game time now ... Should be firmly seen as the backup to an indispensable player in the starting 11.
Oh he'll still get game time sadly. We only have Fred Mctominay Erikson and Casemiero. And Erikson will be used in attacking positions a fair bit.

FerociousCorgis

his "good" moments are moments any competent starting midfielder for a top EPL team should be able to do in his sleep. The rest of the time he is making mistakes that most of us here could do. The new lingard of the team. Not a youngster but people still think of him as young.

bosnian_red

Oh he'll still get game time sadly. We only have Fred Mctominay Erikson and Casemiero. And Erikson will be used in attacking positions a fair bit.
My guess is it'll be:
Fred/Donny - Casemiro - Eriksen/Bruno
McTominay will be the backup for Casemiro. I'm sure we'll try Bruno and Eriksen together occasionally too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My guess is it'll be:
McTominay will be the backup for Casemiro. I'm sure we'll try Bruno and Eriksen together occasionally too.
Yeh that’s about right. Although I personally would prefer Donny - Casemiro - Eriksen for better passing/build up play in midfield.

bosnian_red

Yeh that’s about right. Although I personally would prefer Donny - Casemiro - Eriksen for better passing/build up play in midfield.
Yeah unsure on who will be the preference, I think any combo is fair and balanced. Eriksen and Donny best possession, Fred and Bruno the most aggressive and energetic. Bruno and Eriksen if we're chasing. Fred and Eriksen I think gives the best blend of energy and control.

FerociousCorgis

if we can just add one more quality CM i see no reason we should keep mctominay. Between the two new guys, fred/donny/the youth talents that we can bleed in we would have enough deep lying options.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
if we can just add one more quality CM i see no reason we should keep mctominay. Between the two new guys, fred/donny/the youth talents that we can bleed in we would have enough deep lying options.
I prefer us to sell Mctominay at this point, but we would still need to have backup for Casemiro, and we all know Mctominay doesn’t mind to sit on bench all the time.

FerociousCorgis

I prefer us to sell Mctominay at this point, but we would still need to have backup for Casemiro, and we all know Mctominay doesn’t mind to sit on bench all the time.
depending on the other deep lying midfielder youd just sub him in if just a one deep lying mid type game. Or could just bring fred back or try out iqbal/savage that game if one we are trying to blood in youngsters. Really anybody can do the same job and prob have less a chance of getting a red at this point. Somehow mctominay is 100 percent for having the ball on his foot and then seconds later almost getting a red during games this season.

amolbhatia50k

My guess is it'll be:
I don't think there's anything to suggest VDB will be ahead of Mctominay in the pecking order. Under any manager.

amolbhatia50k

Better: he should hand in a transfer request come January at the most because he will be binned as the kids (Savage and Iqbal) will rise.
Let's see them actually get a game first. Mctominay has already started one out of two.

Hope we see Zidane soon though. I like the look of him and feel he'll offer much more than MCT.

JeffFromHK

He is a decent 5th choice centre midfielder for a club of Man Utd calibre.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There is some interest for him. Please be true and we sell him. Imagine transfwr window where you buy Casemiro and sell McTominay. Just imagine...

Varane around town

McTominay is honest as the day. Always tries. Completely committed to the cause and I like him.

Unfortunately he should be playing for Crystal Palace and not United.

nau05194

He doesn’t even play CM for his country.
Not true mate. Scotland have used McSauce in central midfield around 50% of the time and as a right sided centre back around 50% of the time in the past two years. In June '22 he played 164 minutes as a right sided centre back and 146 in central midfield.

McTominay is physically well suited to be a centre back, but combined with his ability on the ball improves Scotland's ability to play through the opposition press and means we can control games better. Alternatively, his physical profile is regularly preferred in midfield depending on what is needed as seen against Austria, Israel, Czech Republic, Faroe Islands (2021) and most recently at stages in the games against Ukraine, Ireland and Armenia where he adjusted position as those games developed.

NLunited

I was giving him a chance, but he makes too many mistakes. Losing the ball the way he does will cost us (again).

They are beginner’s mistakes though, I think it is more a mental/concentration issue. If it does not get sorted, then goodbye.

Mike Smalling

Can we sell him and let Garner take his place? Garner may be unproven, but McTominay is proven to be shite.

NZT-One

Quite optimistic because we have never ever seen that combination play. In fact, not even ETH has really used DVB much, so maybe he just isn't all that in terms of passing.

There is some interest for him. Please be true and we sell him. Imagine transfwr window where you buy Casemiro and sell McTominay. Just imagine...
Isn't McTominay on like 40k per week or something? Highly doubt that we are actively trying to sell such a player. Might do it once we know and are sure about having a working midfield with backups without needing him. And isn't Freds contract almost done? Highly doubt, McT will go anywhere because I don't think, the teams interest would pay any kind of money that would justify considering it.

Roboc7

If someone offers decent fee we should take it, never going to be good enough. We should be open to selling pretty much anyone that started regularly over last year or so.

NLunited

Of course Moyes likes him, he got Fellaini. I‘d take Fellaini right now tbh.

Last edited:

aeh1991

There gotta be a club somewhere stupid enough to pay 20m for him, no?

JeffFromHK

He and Garner needs to be sold to make room for De Jong, hope we got 30-40M from them and buy De Jong at 70M
A midfield 6 of Casemiro, De Jong, Bruno, Erikssen, vdb, Fred is classy. with Iqbal and Savage as back up in case we have injury crisis or in league cup tiese

amolbhatia50k

This is the perfect time to sell. He's a useless player in a team that wants to dominate the ball. There appears to be interest. Get it done.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
There gotta be a club somewhere stupid enough to pay 20m for him, no?
I'd say we will end up around £30mil. His wages aren't prohibitive so his value should stay pretty high unlike our other transfers where the wages mean we need to take a lower fee.

JeffFromHK

when you list out the best attributes of McTominay which, according to some of our fans, justify his appearance on the pitch and compare his statistical performance in those attributes with Casemiro , you will know why we are so far behind other great clubs

1. Aerial dominance:
McTominay 1.7 aerial won per game
Casemiro 2.3 aerial won per game

2. Defensive
McTominay 1.5 tackles + 1.1 interception per game
Casemiro 3.1 tackles + 1.8 interception per game

And we trade McTominay's those inferior "strengths" for many attributes lost

Not to mention that Casemiro is a better passer and scoring than McTominay

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Unless we get an experienced replacement, we still need him as backup.
United is criminally thin in terms of squad depth.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Unless we get an experienced replacement, we still need him as backup.
United is criminally thin in terms of squad depth.
Need him for what? Jogging around, hiding from the ball, losing possession, misplacing passes?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I bet he does better than maguire as a cb. Turn him into a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.