Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a clear penalty. He grabbed the the opponent and using the advantage won the header. Had he been on the periphery you could make some argument but there is none.

The more I watch it, the less and less it looks like a foul. By the book it was a foul without question, but his arms did not bring Bro down.
That doesn't matter. Most of the times when players hit the deck the contact isn't enough for them to fall but is enough to kill their momentum, ruin their balance, hurt them etc and we all accept that those are fouls. In fact you already mention that by the book it was a foul without question. That's all that matters really.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You cant put both of your arms on someone, then let them get in front of you like that. That makes it an obvious foul. 1 arm and able to keep goalside or level with the player and he might get away with it. But the player takes full advantage by leaning forwards showing that he would have the advantage to get on the end of a ball to that area, then he goes down

Look at his lower legs, they're nearly parallell to the playing surface. You can't lean that far forward without falling over. McTominay, being a top lad, can't help but intervene to help him stay up despite taking an elbow to the chin for his trouble.

lex talionis

It's a clear penalty. He grabbed the the opponent and using the advantage won the header. Had he been on the periphery you could make some argument but there is none.

That doesn't matter. Most of the times when players hit the deck the contact isn't enough for them to fall but is enough to kill their momentum, ruin their balance, hurt them etc and we all accept that those are fouls. In fact you already mention that by the book it was a foul without question. That's all that matters really.
Without any question it was a foul, but two additional points are in order: we almost never see this foul called for a pk, and, Bro threw himself to the ground.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

Sylar

I don't know what to say. He came on in the middle and we couldnt retain possession or pass it around nor could we even get close to them to stop their attacks.

edgecutter

Looks slow and offers nothing as a midfielder. The gulf in class from erikson and casimero to him is huge.

Bobski

I don't know what to say. He came on in the middle and we couldnt retain possession or pass it around nor could we even get close to them to stop their attacks.
Because the shape was shit rather than it being an individuals fault. Suddenly they has easy 2 on 1's out wide with the central players having to come out to cover

Sylar

Because the shape was shit rather than it being an individuals fault. Suddenly they has easy 2 on 1's out wide with the central players having to come out to cover
Shape wasn't great but with the extra man in the middle we were still cut open in the middle

It's not all on mctominay but given this is his thread he helped contribute to that

Vapor trail

The likes of Mctomminay, Fred and Maguire definitely need to be moved on within the next 24 months to raise the teams overall capabilities both in depth and quality.

flappyjay

Most of the blame is not on him when he came on he played ahead of Eriksen and Casemiro which I found weird. Then as they threw the kitchen sink he came deeper. He was all over the place and didn't seem to know where to be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Never think I’ll ever see a player as big as he who just disappears on the football field in the middle of the pitch. Barely touches the ball

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not sure why he's getting hammered yet again, for a 30 minute sub appearance :lol:

Was fine when he came on, but we lost a lot of shape due to West Ham stepping on further up the pitch. Not McTs fault at all.

Bobski

Shape wasn't great but with the extra man in the middle we were still cut open in the middle

It's not all on mctominay but given this is his thread he helped contribute to that
Of course, but he came on and initially seemed to be almost playing up front off Ronaldo. Everything narrowed in, there was no way out passing the ball and then they had that space out wide. Just bad choice, would have been better of with a direct swap with Eriksen and keeping the shape, just fresh legs.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
The worst player to ever play for us in comparison to how many games/minutes he played. We really need to get rid of these absolute under par nobodies asap, who might get a shot in Championship if they are lucky. Just so frustrating some so called world class managers give them a chance after chance to prove absolutely nothing, just because they seem to work their socks off for some reason.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not sure why he's getting hammered yet again, for a 30 minute sub appearance :lol:

Was fine when he came on, but we lost a lot of shape due to West Ham stepping on further up the pitch. Not McTs fault at all.
Are you talking only about the way he jogged onto the pitch?

edgecutter

I thought casimero was poor today, but Scott coming on actually makes me rethink the performance of casimero to something that was quite good. Scott is a poor player that we should look to sell while we can get a decent fee.

Bobski

He gave the ball away once with a misthought and poorly played ball to Ronaldo, won a few headers, tackles and set up a couple of chances.

Bogga

Was watching him running around when they had the ball out on their left... can't remember the exact minute. But he didn't cover any of the WH-players nor follow the ones that ran behind him, he didn't cover any passing routes. I was wondering what he was doing besides just jogging slowly there without being useful at all? It's not like the first time this has happened either and I fail to understand how our managers miss this?

reddevilz007

He gave the ball away once with a misthought and poorly played ball to Ronaldo, won a few headers, tackles and set up a couple of chances.
His defending was absolutely atrocious. Antonio made him look like a kid, and was again beaten right before Rice’s shot.
Him and Fred made us worse.

SAF is the GOAT

ETH wanted another body with strength, power and height that's the only reason why he brought him in.

Almost broke my screen when I thought he fouled Zouma in the box and gave another penalty again

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Was watching him running around when they had the ball out on their left... can't remember the exact minute. But he didn't cover any of the WH-players nor follow the ones that ran behind him, he didn't cover any passing routes. I was wondering what he was doing besides just jogging slowly there without being useful at all? It's not like the first time this has happened either and I fail to understand how our managers miss this?
Exactly. Anyone who didn’t notice this over again needs to revisit this game

SAFMUTD

Something happens that as soon as he's subbed in the whole team cracks. We looked like shit after he got in.

Lucky that he didn't gave away another penalty.

Litch

Him and Fred have very clear roles and arent versatile enough to come on and do anything else....they are squad players. Over time they will be replaced with players that are competing for first team starts. We arent there yet, we still need starters in other positions in the squad..

Oranges038

Something happens that as soon as he's subbed in the whole team cracks. We looked like shit after he got in.

Lucky that he didn't gave away another penalty.
He always tackles with his hands first. Couple of West Ham efforts where he's just throwing hands at them and letting them get by without standing them up or sticking a foot in.

reddevilz007

I’d get Kante on the free, and have him play a good 15-20 minutes as a match closer, rather than have McFred on the pitch.

El__Jingo

Havent bothered commenting in this forum for a while as last time i had an opinion on him i got banned ..the lad isnt good enough and never will be. The amount of people who got giddy over a few games was ridiculous and im so glad Casemiro has turned out to be the player we had hoped for.

There are 2 occasions where people who see him as this absolute unit need to open their eyes.. one where he allows Antonio to take the ball from the wide area and come inside on his stronger foot and get a shot away just outside the box and even worse than that i think its on the Declan Rice shot at the end where Dave pulls off a worldie, if you rewind it just before Maguire gets a sliding tackle you'll see McT just allow Benrahma to wriggle his way through and he is so passive its ridiculous.

never got the sub at all, if it would have been for eriksen it wouldve been bad enough but i wouldve at least got the fact that they were pumping balls into the box and his height wouldve had an effect but he played out wide? it was baffling. Really interested to see who comes into the team instead of bruno next week.

Sylar

ETH wanted another body with strength, power and height that's the only reason why he brought him in.

Almost broke my screen when I thought he fouled Zouma in the box and gave another penalty again
Those never get given but it wouldnt have surprised me if it was given some of the decisions and refs we have in this league :lol:

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Didn't seem clear what his role was.
I think that was reflected in his performance in terms of positioning.
Did OK.
Don't really get the negativity vibe.

JeffFromHK

He has almost zero ability to make clean tackles or clean interceptions or making blocks outside our box doesn't it?

the little footage at 0:57 is so trademark McTominay. He defends with his arm all the time, it is either a dribbled past or a foul. He refuses to lower his centre of gravity (which makes him vulnerable to opponents' change of direction) and when he gets dribbled past he just stands still and watch or commits a foul.

"McTominay got passion" is one of the biggest fraud in football, he is never a passionate player which we can see from Dalot or Martinez. He just loves acting to have passion on goal celebrations but he doesn't bother to break sprint in opponents' counter attacks.

Wing Attack Plan R

His role against West Ham was as a destroyer. He was not tasked with linking play or leading the attack but rather to break up whatever he could and put a body on someone if he got the chance. He's as different a player from Eriksen and Casemiro as he is from DeGea. What McT does well was not actually what we needed when he came on. What we needed was Eriksen's brain and skill to continue, and the shape should have shifted to reflect that fact. We invited pressure on ourselves by playing McT as a "like for like" sub when our entire game plan should have been rewritten the moment he stepped onto the pitch. Same with Fred. McT is a useful player just he was used incorrectly today.

JeffFromHK

His role against West Ham was as a destroyer. He was not tasked with linking play or leading the attack but rather to break up whatever he could and put a body on someone if he got the chance. He's as different a player from Eriksen and Casemiro as he is from DeGea. What McT does well was not actually what we needed when he came on. What we needed was Eriksen's brain and skill to continue, and the shape should have shifted to reflect that fact. We invited pressure on ourselves by playing McT as a "like for like" sub when our entire game plan should have been rewritten the moment he stepped onto the pitch. Same with Fred. McT is a useful player just he was used incorrectly today.
anyone feel that McTominay seems to be a better defensive player in opponent's half (winning the ball high up the pitch) but he is very very poor at defending outside our own box (he offers basically zero protection on the edge of the box and is addicted to fouling)? Would love to have some stats to prove my feeling right or wrong.

He is the wrong player if we sit deep and want to absorb pressures.

NoPace

There are big strong midfielders who aren't as chaotic than we can buy from Europe for the same amount we'll get from selling McTominay to Palace or West Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.