View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Brophs

The One and Only
Right, check your cards. Who had Bayern signing McTominay to play no. 6?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If it’s a like for like loan swap with Gravenberch it’s not the worst deal in the world (even though I don’t think the latter is much of a better fit here). Much rather actually get some money for him right now, though.

Kostov

JWP is just a far far better player too. I can’t believe it was even a debate on here. Fred too, by miles. Just one of many shocking shocking takes you'd regularly see on here. Hopefully he’ll still be sold by the end of the window.
Fred is dogshit and rightfully binned. JWP is miles better than both.

-Supreme-

If it’s a like for like loan swap with Gravenberch it’s not the worst deal in the world (even though I don’t think the latter is much of a better fit here). Much rather actually get some money for him right now, though.
If we didn’t receive and then turned down £30m from West Ham only a few weeks ago then I’d agree but this is a very bizarre turnaround in such short timeframe

avgp_1

We could do with Gravenberch and Bayern probably see McT as a more useful backup player than him. They already have creativity with Musiala and could do with some physical presence, especially if Goretzka isnt available. Scott isn't a bad footballer as such, decent touch and reasonably press resistant, qualities I see that can work well in the BL

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
McT can't get into the first 11 at Utd right now.

Who else can't get into the first 11 at Utd?

Well, there's Sancho.... wonder how he'd get on in Germany.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Not selling this chump for £30 million will go down as one of the most stupid things we’ve done in the transfer market post window.

Came on and caused carnage.
Signing Mason Mount may prove to be worse !

MasterDarcy

He was on the pitch for 19 minutes, made 5 passes, completed 3 of them, made 0 tackles, committed 1 foul & won 1 header.
Injury time doesn't count. Only official time is counted.

So? Jason Sancho had 10 successful passes in 30 minutes. 0 dribbles. 0 key passes. 0 shots.

Mount had 17 accurate passes in 68 minutes against Wolves. 0 shots. 0 key passes

You can use stats to flog any player.

Mainly the players we have brought to the club
Correct.

We've spend £216m on two wingers who can't beat their man or assist and a chubby Brazilian who is past it

And yet a youth product gets more abuse. Welcome to Manchester United.

Telsim

Get rid as soon as humanly possible. Preferably, even before that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Such a pointless player and Ten Hag is an idiot for not just selling him. He can work for a team like West Ham but for us he’s basically useless besides defending aerial threats at the end of games.
Ten Hag is obviously happy to sell him but he doesn't set the price. The club over-played their hand and thought we'd force West Ham higher than the 30m that they offered and they simply walked away.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What I don't get is why do we have to sell anyone in order to buy? Everyone says "We have to sell X before we can but Y". But why? Surely the FFP wolf isn't at the door!

Fine. You think McTominay isn't good enough for Manchester United. Is Eriksen good enough? Is Casemiro?

Not every player has to be visually world class in order to be a part of a successful XI.

I don't recall anyone regarding David Batty as world class and yet he was fundamental to Leeds and Blackburn winning the league.
They need to play a useful role in the squad. McTominay isn't good enough to play Casemiro's role. He isn't good enough to play Bruno's role. And ETH obviously doesn't rate him in the #8 role (which I agree with) seeing as Scott was pretty much last choice in that role last season, behind other players we've already sold or let go. As such, he doesn't fill a useful role in the squad except for being able to provide a bit of size and strength. Something that we should be looking to gain by somebody who is actually good enough to play at least one of those roles on top of being physical.

By all accounts FFP is an issue. We don't have unlimited money and need to sell before we buy. Plus there are only so many spots in the squad. We sold Fred and replaced him with Mount. Mainoo appears likely to be playing a decent amount this season. Signing another midfielder AND keeping McTominay simply doesn't work. Bruno, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo, McTominay and the new guy? Seven players for three positions. Somebody is going to end up not even making the playing squad the vast majority of the time, and chances are it would either be Mainoo (the talented youngster who ETH has already said he sees as a real option) or McTominay (whose value then utterly plummets and we get a pittance for in 12 months). That's not even including VDB who is in a similar position but even worse. Plus Dan Gore seems to be fairly highly rated as well.

Probably the same people who bitched about Darren Fletcher playing (and disrespecting Sir Alex Ferguson in the process) before Fletcher turned into a beast and was in the EPL team of the year in 2009/10.
The Fletcher-McTominay comparison is one of the most overplayed things around. Fletcher was a talented youngster that was extremely highly rated at a young age, but struggled with the step up mostly because of physical limitations as he was weak and fairly unathletic. Once his body developed and he gained some strength and speed he became one of the best in the league in his position, and that was at the age of 24.

McTominay is literally the exact opposite. He wasn't rated particularly highly as he came through the ranks, and his physical strength and size is basically the one thing he does have to a decent level. He's soon to turn 27.

MasterDarcy

They need to play a useful role in the squad. McTominay isn't good enough to play Casemiro's role. He isn't good enough to play Bruno's role. And ETH obviously doesn't rate him in the #8 role (which I agree with) seeing as Scott was pretty much last choice in that role last season, behind other players we've already sold or let go. As such, he doesn't fill a useful role in the squad except for being able to provide a bit of size and strength. Something that we should be looking to gain by somebody who is actually good enough to play at least one of those roles on top of being physical.
Why do we need to label everything? We need a jack of all trades. Contrary to popular belief, McTominay does have certain defensive qualities. He can also drive forward with the ball and he has a good shot on him. His attacking instincts are underrated.

It's groundhog day. United fans thought that getting rid of Ole would be thr magic bullet to everything looking rosy. It wasn't. Rince and repeat with Lingard, Pogba and then Ronaldo. Then it was Fred and McTominay.

Who is to blame when McTominay leaves?

I don't even what the United fans are moaning about. McTominay isn't even starting anymore. He's rarely getting off the bench.

Apparently, the very appearance of Scott McTominay on the bench is detrimental.

Put McTominay on the Manchester City bench, do you think Rodri, etc, will suddenly look like a Championship side?

It's looking at the nig picture.

A midfield trio of Casemiro, Eriksen and Mount is awful. One of the worse United midfields that I can remember.

And I wasn't comparing McTominay to Fletcher in terms of ability. I remember watching Fletcher playing for the Scotland schoolboys when he was 15. So I was aware how good he was.

I remember back in the day defending the quality of Fletcher when the masses were belitting him, deciding him and shitting on him.

Just shows how little fans know. There is parallel with McTominay, whether you want to admit it or not. McTominay is a useful player with qualities. He's a legit EPL and international player.

Not every midfielder has to ping 40 yarders on a dime. Not every midfielder had to be Scholes or Keane or Zidane.

Every team needs a functional, low maintenance, unfashionable footballer.

I guarantee that SAF would get a tune out if McTominay, as he would be the heart of a machine.

I don't believe the Bayern Munuch links. I do think it comes to fruition, though. I hope McTominay joins Munich. He plays in his best position. The fans love him. He starts every week and he ends the season with a league winner's medal and a European Ccup winner's medal.

That'll be funny.

Who are the mob going to blame then? Cos, ya know, there's always someone.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ten Hag is obviously happy to sell him but he doesn't set the price. The club over-played their hand and thought we'd force West Ham higher than the 30m that they offered and they simply walked away.
I don't think he's obviously happy to sell him at all. By all reports he would let him leave but also is happy to keep him, thus us putting quite a high price tag on him for the player he is.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Turning into a sick note isn't he? He was out for periods last season, now unavailable for arsenal. Can't rely on him

devips

Why do we need to label everything? We need a jack of all trades. Contrary to popular belief, McTominay does have certain defensive qualities. He can also drive forward with the ball and he has a good shot on him. His attacking instincts are underrated.

It's groundhog day. United fans thought that getting rid of Ole would be thr magic bullet to everything looking rosy. It wasn't. Rince and repeat with Lingard, Pogba and then Ronaldo. Then it was Fred and McTominay.

Who is to blame when McTominay leaves?

I don't even what the United fans are moaning about. McTominay isn't even starting anymore. He's rarely getting off the bench.

Apparently, the very appearance of Scott McTominay on the bench is detrimental.

Put McTominay on the Manchester City bench, do you think Rodri, etc, will suddenly look like a Championship side?

It's looking at the nig picture.

A midfield trio of Casemiro, Eriksen and Mount is awful. One of the worse United midfields that I can remember.

And I wasn't comparing McTominay to Fletcher in terms of ability. I remember watching Fletcher playing for the Scotland schoolboys when he was 15. So I was aware how good he was.

I remember back in the day defending the quality of Fletcher when the masses were belitting him, deciding him and shitting on him.

Just shows how little fans know. There is parallel with McTominay, whether you want to admit it or not. McTominay is a useful player with qualities. He's a legit EPL and international player.

Not every midfielder has to ping 40 yarders on a dime. Not every midfielder had to be Scholes or Keane or Zidane.

Every team needs a functional, low maintenance, unfashionable footballer.

I guarantee that SAF would get a tune out if McTominay, as he would be the heart of a machine.

I don't believe the Bayern Munuch links. I do think it comes to fruition, though. I hope McTominay joins Munich. He plays in his best position. The fans love him. He starts every week and he ends the season with a league winner's medal and a European Ccup winner's medal.

That'll be funny.

Who are the mob going to blame then? Cos, ya know, there's always someone.
Well said. I agree 100 per cent.

Idxomer

Turning into a sick note isn't he? He was out for periods last season, now unavailable for arsenal. Can't rely on him
Which should've been one of the reasons the WHU offer was accepted the second it came in. He just seems like a player whose injuries will increase as he gets older.

Marwood

I've said for a while he's a deceptively injury prone player.

Roboc7

Yeah he seems to pick up a lot of small injuries which isn’t going to help him as he’s not going to play much anyway. Amrabat is just another player ahead of him now.

Was just such a terrible decision not to sell him to West Ham it’s done Mctominay no favours and we were desperate for the money.

CM

Which should've been one of the reasons the WHU offer was accepted the second it came in. He just seems like a player whose injuries will increase as he gets older.
It was one of those decisions that should've been a no brainer. It actually makes me angry when I think of the simple things we continue to get wrong.

redom

Could end up filling in at CB for us at this rate.

RedDevilQuebecois

No.

For the previous two years he's exclusively been played in midfield.

He's scored 5 goals in the previous 4 Scotland games. From midfield.
He must have played CB for the national team before that then, and it was also under Steve Clarke. That was before COVID-19 happened.

MasterDarcy

He must have played CB for the national team before that then, and it was also under Steve Clarke. That was before COVID-19 happened.
I'm a Scotland fan.

McTominay played in midfield under McLeish.

He's played a total of 39 games for Scotland. 13 have been in defence and 26 in midfield.

nau05194

Doesn't he already play the part for Scotland?
  • McTominay first played as a CB for Scotland in September 2020 against Israel when football was played without any fans after the first wave of Covid-19.
  • The last time he played as a CB for Scotland was away to Armenia in June 2022.
  • For that period he was used more as a CB (14 games), but for quite a few games he played a midfield role (8 games).

Augustus Gloop

I've said for a while he's a deceptively injury prone player.
He’s training with the Scotland team, pictures & videos posted today. There were times last season when he was “injured/ill” but miraculously recovered for international duty.

I think there is something going on here, which makes it all the more stranger he didn’t leave before transfer deadline.

Marwood

He’s training with the Scotland team, pictures & videos posted today. There were times last season when he was “injured/ill” but miraculously recovered for international duty.

I think there is something going on here, which makes it all the more stranger he didn’t leave before transfer deadline.
True. In this instance I don't buy the sickness excuse. Imagine its to do with him not accepting a move away.

MasterDarcy

There were times last season when he was “injured/ill” but miraculously recovered for international duty.
Being a Scotland fan, I'm perfectly fine with that.

He's loved up here.

United fans are fickle. They moan when McTominay plays for United and they moan when he's injured.

In terms of McTominay being a "sick note", I've compared the amount of matches that he's missed through injury/illness since 2018 with 6 random players:

Maguire: 34
Varane: 47
Rashford: 49
McTominay: 57
Van de Beek: 68
Martial: 75
Shaw: 75

Augustus Gloop

True. In this instance I don't buy the sickness excuse. Imagine its to do with him not accepting a move away.
Yeah, I reckon you could be right you know!

Being a Scotland fan, I'm perfectly fine with that.

He's loved up here.

United fans are fickle. They moan when McTominay plays for United and they moan when he's injured.

In terms of McTominay being a "sick note", I've compared the amount of matches that he's missed through injury/illness since 2018 with 6 random players:

Maguire: 34
Varane: 47
Rashford: 49
McTominay: 57
Van de Beek: 68
Martial: 75
Shaw: 75
I’m a Scotland fan as well but I think it’s a shame he didn’t secure a move away. With that being said, he hasn’t played regularly for United for ages and he’s been in the best form of his life for Scotland. Have a feeling he’ll be on the score sheet again this Friday against Cyprus.

L1nk

Not sure where all the love is coming from - seems forced. An absolute ghost of a player that apparently "never plays in his correct position" and maybe has 1 good game out of ten and then all the fans believe he is "McSauce" and delude themselves into thinking he is more than a bang average midfielder who just hides from the ball and who excells at passing backwards and sideways. He should have been sold for pure FFP profit at our earliest convenience this summer so that we could get a more quality backup midfielder and defender. Cannot believe we turned down 30 million

MasterDarcy

I’m a Scotland fan as well but I think it’s a shame he didn’t secure a move away. With that being said, he hasn’t played regularly for United for ages and he’s been in the best form of his life for Scotland. Have a feeling he’ll be on the score sheet again this Friday against Cyprus
Yeah. I wanted him to leave, too.

He deserves regular game time. I wished that was with United, but it's obvious that EtH doesn't rate him as a first XI member.

Which is fine. It's his perogative. He's the manager.

As for Scotland, he's been exceptional lately. Hopefully he follows that up against Cyprus and I'd love him to score against England, as it would shut up a whole lot of people.

MasterDarcy

Not sure where all the love is coming from - seems forced. An absolute ghost of a player that apparently "never plays in his correct position" and maybe has 1 good game out of ten and then all the fans believe he is "McSauce" and delude themselves into thinking he is more than a bang average midfielder who just hides from the ball and who excells at passing backwards and sideways. He should have been sold for pure FFP profit at our earliest convenience this summer so that we could get a more quality backup midfielder and defender. Cannot believe we turned down 30 million
You know, people who say "he hides from the ball" should be banned.

Football is full of pundits, football writers, etc. Do me a favour, find me anyone who says that '"Scott McTominay hides from the ball" and I'll donate £1k to the charity of your choice.

The only people who say it are Zombie fans who mirror the opinions of others.

I'll give you the opinion of Paul Scholes. Heard of him?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10457873/scott-mctominay-man-utd-paul-scholes/

"He’s a really talented player, he’s a really good player.

Last edited:

L1nk

You know, people who say "he hides from the ball" should be banned.

Football is full of pundits, football writers, etc. Do me a favour, find me anyone who says that '"Scott McTominay hides from the ball" and I'll donate £1k to the charity of your choice.

The only people who say it are Zombie fans who mirror the opinions of others.

I'll give you the opinion of Paul Scholes. Heard of him?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10457873/scott-mctominay-man-utd-paul-scholes/

"He’s a really talented player, he’s a really good player.
What is this self servicing arrogant ass post. Oh you're right sorry i've never heard of Paul Scholes, silly me!

I don't need the opinions of pundits, managers or former players to describe to me what I can see with my own 2 eyes on the football pitch, be it at the stadium or on television. He hides from the ball.

Is this post supposed to be some kind of gotcha or what? Paul Scholes also showered love on Jesse Lingard who was also not a very good footballer who stayed at this club for far too long.

I'm not a Zombie fan who mirrors the opinions of others, sounds more like you're the zombie fan who loves to mirror the opinions of pundits. There's a reason you don't take all ex players, pundits, commentators comments seriously all the time, doesn't matter if they were ex players or what.

McSauce, an average player. You can cry all you want because he's from the academy but I don't care.