2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OrcaFat

McT for the first twenty minutes was Scotland's best player last night, sitting on Rice whenever the England back line had the ball, essentially nullifying the build up from the back.

However, Rice got wise to this and started drifting across the pitch and McT was then dragged out of position and so stopped doing the man marking job, from that point on Scotland were in trouble, and so it proved.

McT had a great first 20 minutes or so, average after that, but was still better than the rest of the Scotland midfield last night.
I don’t know about best player but it doesn’t say much anyway. Sitting on the DM is not a complex task requiring any skill but if it’s the job he was given (surely it was) then he, at least, carried it out. But, as you mention, he wasn’t clever enough to adapt to the game situation.

He’s not a terrible player. He’s an international. The criticism he gets is in the context of being a Manchester United player. The bar is higher than managing to mark a DM for 20 mins.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
I don’t know about best player but it doesn’t say much anyway. Sitting on the DM is not a complex task requiring any skill but if it’s the job he was given (surely it was) then he, at least, carried it out. But, as you mention, he wasn’t clever enough to adapt to the game situation.

He’s not a terrible player. He’s an international. The criticism he gets is in the context of being a Manchester United player. The bar is higher than managing to mark a DM for 20 mins.
I don't think he was necessarily not being clever.
Probably his instructions should have been changed.
Scotland were comparatively poor and England deserved their win.
Bellingham raises England up a level on his own.

OrcaFat

I love being proven right!
I don’t know if you’d call this working his way back into the team. But he is IN the team so that’s one thing at least. A horrible thing imo but “a thing”, no doubt.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Did he even play? Holy shit I barely remember hearing his name.

Idxomer

Any United manager who keeps playing him deserves to be sacked.

Bobski

Don't know what role he was playing, don't think he or his teammates did either. It wasn't working, should have been changed at HT.

rajds89

I’m so glad the Scottish brave heart stayed and played so well when he got given his chance.

drdoityourself

The decision to start him as a roaming right winger was a bad one, not to take him off at half time was astounding given we were a goal down and with no one on the right wing. But to keep him on almost the entirety of the game is just a shocking decision. No threat at all in attack and couldn't keep up with Lamptey at all when defending.

edgecutter

Personally, It gladdens me that so many people are breaking rank by saying that Scott McTominay is a good player.

Maybe the "Scott McTominay hides from the ball" spell is finally starting to break.

McTominay's goalscoring (6 goals) assists (he's been involved in around 4 goals) and general performance in the European Championships Qualifiers are making the pseudo analysts look foolish.

Long may it continue.

Hopefully it continues on Tuesday.

What are the haters going to say then? "it's only England"? :p
I wonder if we will see anymore of the above? Why we turned down 30 million for a crap player needs investigated and firings need to happen.

He had 22 touches of the ball today. Fecking Casimero who was awful had 53.

Stadjer

22 times. Invisible. As usual, an empty shirt. Why we keep playing people that have routinely failed time after time, Manager after Manager is just baffling.
By all accounts ETH tried to sell him and bring in Amrabat. McT wasnt sold and partly because of that Amrabat came in late and isnt ready to play yet.

Red Rash

Probably one of the most baffling transfer decisions of the summer was not taking 30 million for him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Brighton exploited him second half. Once DeZerbi figured out how to deal with our diamond, McTominay was cooked. Got lost and should have been subbed.

zaafi

You could replace him with any average midfielder from any mediocre team in PL and it would be the same. Pointless player for this club.

Kramer

CANNOT BELIEVE we turned down 30M pounds for this guy.

NZT-One

Hasn't really had a good game, even though I didn't notice him doing too much wrong... Difficult environment and match that made many players look shit. Still don't understand, why we didn't sell him. He might have his uses in 4 or 5 games a season but that shouldn't be enough to keep him.

Idxomer

Brighton exploited him second half. Once DeZerbi figured out how to deal with our diamond, McTominay was cooked. Got lost and should have been subbed.
If there's a camera only following him, he would look like a lost child out there. He never has a clue where he is on the pitch.

FerociousCorgis

Yeah was utterly confused by his point today. Just a fecking waste of 30 million that could've gone to replace him with someone that fits better

Telsim

I was wrong. We should have asked 100M from West Ham. World class. He is so much better than Rice.

ElDiabloRojo

Absolute rubbish. Championship player at best.

Wouldn't make the bench at any current top 6 club.

Geistman

Look, I guess some players don't suit certain clubs or ambitions. McTominay is a solid professional who could flourish at a club which suits his skill set. But he has shown he does not have the required skill set to play at Man Utd. Why is he still here? Why does he still get a game?
This has been proven to most fans. I think most fans will not fault his attitude but will accept when he plays, he underwhelmed for Man Utd. The club is a mess. It needs to be more ruthless.

Roboc7

He’s not good enough and never has been it’s a complete joke he is still here. The lack of effort he put in today was disgraceful, pointing and ball watching whilst players breezed past him.

It’s just comical he is praised for his effort levels, hopefully he doesn’t start many more games for us. Not accepting that 30m offer was gross incompetence, should have kept Fred.

Sanchez7

Does anyone have his stats from today? He looked invisible on the pitch but really wonder how the stats look?

Roboc7

Look, I guess some players don't suit certain clubs or ambitions. McTominay is a solid professional who could flourish at a club which suits his skill set. But he has shown he does not have the required skill set to play at Man Utd. Why is he still here? Why does he still get a game?
This has been proven to most fans. I think most fans will not fault his attitude but will accept when he plays, he underwhelmed for Man Utd. The club is a mess. It needs to be more ruthless.
His attitude and effort levels are really poor, the fact someone who also lacks talent has survived so long sums up why the club is a total shambles.