2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OverratedOpinion

He is such a unique player. I'd argue that he's better suited to be a striker and a centre back than he is a midfielder. Feels like the youth coaches couldn't decide if he was an attacker or a defender so tried to find a middle ground as a midfielder.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Has Ten Hag figured out that McTominay should be played in attack rather than central midfield?

Sylar

Great header.

He is such a unique player. I'd argue that he's better suited to be a striker and a centre back than he is a midfielder. Feels like the youth coaches couldn't decide if he was an attacker or a defender so tried to find a middle ground as a midfielder.
As a midfielder especially when starting he's horrible. He doesn't show for the ball, he's out of position and there are times he just jogs back.

Sub suits him especially up top. He will attack the ball especially when crosses like today happen

SER19

perfect squad player- not good enough to be regular starter but good enough to influence from the bench and step in for injuries or cup games

hard to dislike him

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The timing of his goals has basically been crucial all season. So reliable off the bench for that.

Someone

Something
Shouldn't be sold in the summer. I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter, but you couldn't hope for a better squad player.

Ekeke

perfect squad player- not good enough to be regular starter but good enough to influence from the bench and step in for injuries or cup games
I'd say keep it to the subs. Great option for what he did today but his midfield play other than a goal or in performances where he misses his chances and doesnt score is below the level of what we'd want as a player to cover others. Absolutely worth keeping and giving him time off the bench in pretty much every game but need a different type of midfielder who is actually good in midfield even in cup games and as cover. Youth players can do a better job at that.

90 + 5min

Are you serious?
100%. This guy was getting so much hate that it is ridiculous. Non of those players I've mentioned have showed why they would be better than McTominay. I hope people are beginning to see what he gives to the team and not read social media, nonsens stats from various sites and so on. If McTominay played for Brighton or West Ham people would see him as 100m player. Just as they did with Caicedo or Rice.

Trequarista10

I don't think he's a forward, BUT, if Hojlund were to get injured I think I'd rather give McTominay a run of games upfront ahead of Martial, Rashford or any of our other options. All his best work is closest to the opposition goal. Might be worth experimenting with.

SAFMUTD

Keep him as a super sub when chasing goals, he's not a good midfielder but he definitely has an eye for goal.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’m a big fan, after almost being forced out the club to what he’s delivered this season is great, top man.

Ekeke

100%. This guy was getting so much hate that it is ridiculous. Non of those players I've mentioned have showed why they would be better than McTominay. I hope people are beginning to see what he gives to the team and not read social media, nonsens stats from various sites and so on. If McTominay played for Brighton or West Ham people would see him as 100m player. Just as they did with Caicedo or Rice.
Yikes.

I was going to bold the Rice bit, but then decided I would need to bold another bit. In the end it should all be bolded or not bolded because its all silly. £30 million is a serious amount of money for him. Its less than we wanted but probably not a lot less. Rice has been twice as good at Arsenal than McTom has been here and is one of the best players at a team joint 2nd in the league. Caicedo and Enzo... Well its the least silly part because they havent been very good this season despite Enzo scoring a great goal this week. But I'm going to go ahead and bet that in 18 months to 2 years Caicedo and Enzo will still be seen as better midfielders than McTom and will still be having more interest from top teams.

Ludens the Red

Keep him as a super sub when chasing goals, he's not a good midfielder but he definitely has an eye for goal.
Yeah if he’s gonna stay, only use him like this. Chuck him on when chasing a goal or to disrupt the play when holding a lead: If he’s happy to stay and play this role fine. Have far more patience with him then someone like Rashford.

90 + 5min

Yikes.

I was going to bold the Rice bit, but then decided I would need to bold another bit. In the end it should all be bolded or not bolded because its all silly. £30 million is a serious amount of money for him. Its less than we wanted but probably not a lot less. Rice has been twice as good at Arsenal than McTom has been here and is one of the best players at a team joint 2nd in the league. Caicedo and Enzo... Well its the least silly part because they havent been very good this season despite Enzo scoring a great goal this week. But I'm going to go ahead and bet that in 18 months to 2 years Caicedo and Enzo will still be seen as better midfielders than McTom and will still be having more interest from top teams.
That is not correct. What have Rice done to be better than McTominay? It is easy to play in winning team as defensive midfielder with all those sideway passes.

Caicedo is just a walking disaster and how someone decided to throw away 100m + on him is beyond me. You say Enzo have scored a great goal. McTominay have scored 8 in Premier League where couple of them were match deciding. Most goals by central midfielder in Premier League. He is scoring for fun for Scotland.

What do you mean still been seen. They are not better. They might be but they are not now. So word still is wrong. 30m for McTominay is insult if you consider those other 3 mentioned going for 100m+.

Jacob

It has always been a no-brainer that he should be utilized further up. Not necessarily as a 10 but maybe an inverted winger.

spwd

Can't fault him if he keeps doing it. He's helped us quite a few times this season.

Chairman Steve

He’s our new Fellaini. That attacking centre mid who’s good for goal going forward and looks much better going forward rather than going back or trying to control a game. A nice impact attacking sub who’s great to bring on but not sure if he’d be happy with that role at his age now.

tomaldinho1

People slating the sub but this is where he’s excellent. Big lad, great engine but limited player. Get balls in the box for him and Hojlund. So many goals this season like this now.

Bertie Wooster

I'm fond of McTominay because he clearly gives his all and doesn't seem like he'd be a part of any dressing room problems / negative culture at all.

He has good scoring abilities from midfield and there's definitely a role for him in the squad. That said, he's very like the Marouane Fellaini dilemma of where to play him as a starter? Coming off the bench when we need a goal and want midfield runners in and around the box / aerial threats really suited both.

But in the same way we couldn't really utilise Fellaini as Moyes had done at Everton - building everything around him as a goalscoring, not playmaking, #10 - there's a similar dilemma about where best McTominay can fit in as a starter to get the best out of his unusual role.

But very happy with him as a squad player, always coming on / filling in and giving his all and providing a good goal threat. Trouble is long term, will he be happy with that kind of role or will he be someone who wants to play a lot more, even if it means dropping down a level of PL club or so to get regular starts?

He's good enough to be a PL starter, but probably not at a club with the ambitions we should have. But he's definitely good enough to be a squad player here, and is capable of making big impacts in a season, as he's already shown.

Roboc7

That is not correct. What have Rice done to be better than McTominay? It is easy to play in winning team as defensive midfielder with all those sideway passes.

Caicedo is just a walking disaster and how someone decided to throw away 100m + on him is beyond me. You say Enzo have scored a great goal. McTominay have scored 8 in Premier League where couple of them were match deciding. Most goals by central midfielder in Premier League. He is scoring for fun for Scotland.

What do you mean still been seen. They are not better. They might be but they are not now. So word still is wrong. 30m for McTominay is insult if you consider those other 3 mentioned going for 100m+.
30m is still about right, there’s no point comparing him to midfielders because he isn’t one. He’s one of those off players that isn’t really suited to any position, he’d have a similar problem if we sold him and it’s why he looks so much better as a sub.

As a starter you get all the negatives and lose the impact of bringing him on for 30 mins. The money spent on Caceido and Enzo was crazy but when your best role is a sub you won’t command a big fee.

marktan

Said it a million times and will die on this hill, Scotty 2 hotty is and will always be a striker

90 + 5min

30m is still about right, there’s no point comparing him to midfielders because he isn’t one. He’s one of those off players that isn’t really suited to any position, he’d have a similar problem if we sold him and it’s why he looks so much better as a sub.

As a starter you get all the negatives and lose the impact of bringing him on for 30 mins. The money spent on Caceido and Enzo was crazy but when your best role is a sub you won’t command a big fee.
I don't think it is right. Why should we be giving him for pretty much nothing considering what he brings to the team and comparing to players that went for 3-4 times more? The only thing I can understand is that McTominay is 27 and those other guys are younger but looking at quality he is not worse. At least how this season is going and what they have done.

For me he is midfielder but attacking one. Give him space and freedom to run into box and he will give other team headache. Every time.

Ekeke

He’s our new Fellaini. That attacking centre mid who’s good for goal going forward and looks much better going forward rather than going back or trying to control a game. A nice impact attacking sub who’s great to bring on but not sure if he’d be happy with that role at his age now.
Fellaini for all the hype didnt get that many coming on as a sub. So hes more what Fellaini was said to be but wasnt.

Ekeke

I don't think it is right. Why should we be giving him for pretty much nothing considering what he brings to the team and comparing to players that went for 3-4 times more? The only thing I can understand is that McTominay is 27 and those other guys are younger but looking at quality he is not worse. At least how this season is going and what they have done.

For me he is midfielder but attacking one. Give him space and freedom to run into box and he will give other team headache. Every time.
Because he brings considerably less. He's scoring goals and thats great. But his general play is average. The better teams dont even like to have a number 9 striker who just scores goals and isnt that good in general play these days. Let alone someone you're picking in midfield.

That said I'm sure theres some better teams that would be happy to have on the bench and to bring him on for a tactical change when they need a goal. Because like today sometimes you need a plan B and he's good as a midfielder who gets forward and can get a goal but at the expense of your teams general play where he's quiet and not finding the touches and passes you want from your midfielder going forward.