4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His timing of his runs into the box is really really good... Almost Lampard-esq.

This, his finishing, and the fact that he's able to acclimatize to the pace of a game so quickly after coming of the bench are 3 of his best traits.

Bwuk

An 8 needs to be able to get on the ball. Even a 10 or a 9 is expected to touch the ball, be more involved and create more than he has this season.

There are plenty of strikers who will score goals but fans at bigger clubs dont want him and teams dont sign them because their buildup and general play isnt good enough. That is what McTominay is but picked in midfield and his limitations are there instead of in your striker spot which is probably a lot worse if you want to have some amount of control of a game. Chicharito is a good example, he would score goals but people would say he isnt good enough in general play.

There are people who say Bruno was terrible even when he scores and assists, or has a high number of key passes setting up teammates and getting touches and being involved in the game. But he is almost always far more influential and gets on the ball far more than McTominay. So why would McTominay be called something else when he's a lot worse other than goals?
Have you ever played football?

The most influential thing a player can do is score. McTominays been doing that. I dread to think where we’d be without his goals this year.

NZT-One

The game against Villa made it obvious. He came from the bench, changed the flow of the game and not only that, he scored a winning goal. So I would say that he did pretty well. It wasn't first time. I think people should give him a lot more credit because he deserves it and he should be valued more.
This sounds more like you looking back and pump more meaning into the sub. I didn't see anything in terms of changing the flow - we didn't really improve. He scored, we won because of his goal - that is great and for now and for this specific purpose, he is useful, but would you play a CB only because he is a danger at Set pieces? A keeper only because he can score the occasional freekick? Probably not - and that is McTominay... In terms of being an actual midfielder, he isn't really good. Him being top scorer is a reflection on the impotence of our attackers this season (so far). We should make sure, that we create a team, that doesn't need McTominay to offer some height at set pieces and as a goal threat. And this is what many feared when we didn't sell him last summer. That something would happen and that people will once again come up with reasons to stick to him.

If you really like the guy, let him leave to where he can get regular game time.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What even is he? A box to box 10?
A budget Scottish Thomas Muller. I give out to McTominay a lot. However, he's so good at using the space Hojlund's movement creates. Give him a centre forward to pull centre backs away, McTominay's use arriving into the box really shines. It's not a tactic you want to rely from the start, it makes the midfield so light. It's become an interesting plan B now we have a guy who runs defenders at #9.

always_hoping

Still look back in frustration with that free header Scott wasted late on v spurs in the recent 2-2 draw.

prateik

Ah Whoscored.. Checked Whoscored player ratings for United..
He is 6th best behind Bruno, Dalot, Casemiro, Maguire and Onana..

Maguire, Onana and McT are our 4th, 5th and 6th best players this season.. according to their ratings.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's a pox to pox supersub sandwich and INEOS should keep him just in case we need an Ole figure in CL final.

RedCurry

He attacks that ball like it is the last thing he will ever do in football. I love that about a player. More of our attackers can learn from that.

didz

He is the most prolific points winner in the PL this season, with his goals helping us to an additional 12 points.

Football is usually a game of fine margins, but credit to McTominay, the difference between 5th place and 13th is a pretty big margin.

fps

Love McTominay. Finally being used properly. Just wants to work hard, play for Man Utd, and win. Model pro.

Oranges038

This sounds more like you looking back and pump more meaning into the sub. I didn't see anything in terms of changing the flow - we didn't really improve. He scored, we won because of his goal - that is great and for now and for this specific purpose, he is useful, but would you play a CB only because he is a danger at Set pieces? A keeper only because he can score the occasional freekick? Probably not - and that is McTominay... In terms of being an actual midfielder, he isn't really good. Him being top scorer is a reflection on the impotence of our attackers this season (so far). We should make sure, that we create a team, that doesn't need McTominay to offer some height at set pieces and as a goal threat. And this is what many feared when we didn't sell him last summer. That something would happen and that people will once again come up with reasons to stick to him.

If you really like the guy, let him leave to where he can get regular game time.
This point gets lost amongst the goals. There was one season where Steve Bruce was joint top scorer in the league and close enough to being top scorer overall.

He's scored some crucial goals this season, but overall we have a large body of work over the last 5 years or so to be able to judge his overall ability. You can't fault him for effort, desire or whatever, but as a midfielder on a technical level
he's just not good enough for a top team which is where Utd are aiming to be.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He is the most prolific points winner in the PL this season, with his goals helping us to an additional 12 points.

Football is usually a game of fine margins, but credit to McTominay, the difference between 5th place and 13th is a pretty big margin.
Tha'ts mad that - really good job we didn't sell him in the summer.

I said at the time that £20/25m or whatever some posters on here wanted to sell him for is totally undervaluing him... and to be fair to McT I think he's only increased his value this season.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
But he's always getting into positions to score. He's useful as a sub coming on late on when you need a goal.
Thats why its frustrating to be fair - 'cos its McT and we now expect him to score in those scenarios.

I think if that was say, Bruno (who isn't a great headerer of the ball) it would have been slightly less frustrating.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

That's very impressive.

He's a strange player, it's almost like his goals help put out the fires he starts. Because whilst we lose the ability to gain control in midfield and lose someone in the build-up when he actually starts, he is basically our second biggest goal threat and quite clearly a deep[er] runner into the box that teams can't properly handle.

IF, and I think it's a big if, we have the budget to sign a proper no.8 without needing to sell McTominay to raise funds (as he is one of the few players we have who we could sell for good sums of money), I think we would be happy to retain him and utilise him in the way ten Hag has used him in the past few matches.

didz

That's very impressive.

He's a strange player, it's almost like his goals help put out the fires he starts. Because whilst we lose the ability to gain control in midfield and lose someone in the build-up when he actually starts, he is basically our second biggest goal threat and quite clearly a deep[er] runner into the box that teams can't properly handle.

IF, and I think it's a big if, we have the budget to sign a proper no.8 without needing to sell McTominay to raise funds (as he is one of the few players we have who we could sell for good sums of money), I think we would be happy to retain him and utilise him in the way ten Hag has used him in the past few matches.
I'm quietly confident that our budget will be fine. Admittedly, I haven't delved into the numbers yet, but the 3-year PSR assessment period we're moving into will be without that pandemic season (which is actually two seasons stuck together and averaged out). Given that we are the club most affected by loss of matchday income in the league, we presumably should see our relative spending power jump fairly significantly.

And that's if they don't just change these rules altogether. This £105m permitted losses figure was voted on back in 2013 and I imagine a lot of clubs will be arguing that it's no longer a limit fit for purpose. I think there have already been talks in place to get in line with UEFA's squad cost rule as an alternative.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's no accident he scores this many vital goals. He's quite clearly got qualities despite some people's efforts to reduce him to just a bloke who runs around. One of those qualities is being in the right place at the right time and the timing of his runs. He's quite clearly a very solid finisher as well under pressure.

The only issue is he's not good enough as an all rounder to play CM. He's not got the ball retention or vision to play in the Bruno role and he's never going to be our actual striker. So his only role is coming off the bench to crash the box. If he's happy with that for his whole career then go for it as I think we will always have a use for that. Otherwise there will need to be a parting at some point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If we had any money I think Dyche would be snapping him up ASAP. Him and Doucoure essentially play the exact same role.

uwotm8

Never start him in deep midfield and we are golden.

Great impact substitution or forward line alternative.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It's no accident he scores this many vital goals. He's quite clearly got qualities despite some people's efforts to reduce him to just a bloke who runs around. One of those qualities is being in the right place at the right time and the timing of his runs. He's quite clearly a very solid finisher as well under pressure.

The only issue is he's not good enough as an all rounder to play CM. He's not got the ball retention or vision to play in the Bruno role and he's never going to be our actual striker. So his only role is coming off the bench to crash the box. If he's happy with that for his whole career then go for it as I think we will always have a use for that. Otherwise there will need to be a parting at some point.
The issue he might find now is that he's so good coming off the bench and doing this (players that can do well off the bench with regularity are hard to come by) that he might end up in this role regardless of what club he goes to.

didz

The issue he might find now is that he's so good coming off the bench and doing this (players that can do well off the bench with regularity are hard to come by) that he might end up in this role regardless of what club he goes to.
I think half his goals have come from starts and half from the bench for us, while all his goals for Scotland have come from starts. I reckon he starts for the majority of PL sides more often than not, but to an upper-level club he's generally more useful in those chaos moments you get towards the end of games.

Irrational.

He gets a lot of stick from our fans but you can never doubt his commitment to the cause. The header yesterday was full blooded - he was prepared to take everything with him to get on the end of that cross. A lot of “more talented” players would have shirked that challenge.

Gavinb33

The people complaining about him, this is why all the managers like him and play him

"He is an example for many other players,” said Ten Hag. “He is ready to bring this energy. He is always giving the spirit in the week, when he is training as opposition, working on himself. He is ready for one minute, ready for 90 minutes. It is great to have such a player"

If some other players had this humility we'd be in a much better position and some of them would still be at the club.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Certainly don't want him starting games for reasons I've gone over plenty of times, but if he can continue being effective off the bench and if he's willing to stay in that role then I'm happy to keep him as a impact sub. Basically use him as we should have used Fellaini, although Scott has less impact on the flow of the game as a whole but (if he keeps it up) is more likely to score.

Bwuk

Whe people coming about him, this is why all the managers like him and play him

"He is an example for many other players,” said Ten Hag. “He is ready to bring this energy. He is always giving the spirit in the week, when he is training as opposition, working on himself. He is ready for one minute, ready for 90 minutes. It is great to have such a player"

If some other players had this humility we'd be in a much better position and some of them would still be at the club.
Every manager who’s had him has loved having him. It’s only the fans online who seem to be against him.

Funny that.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I'd be genuinely curious to see how a classic 4-4-2 with him, Hojlund and two traditonal wingers would go.

Not curious enough for us to actually try it out in a meaningful game of football... but still.

Ekeke

Ah Whoscored.. Checked Whoscored player ratings for United..
He is 6th best behind Bruno, Dalot, Casemiro, Maguire and Onana..

Maguire, Onana and McT are our 4th, 5th and 6th best players this season.. according to their ratings.
Sounds about right due to his goalscoring coming off the bench - 6 goals in 12 games off the bench for United (9 league subs, 1 CL sub. They dont do the data for the FA cup for some reason) and Scotland (2 subs). Its league ratings alone so some players like Hoijlund would be higher if you were looking at european games as well. In the champions league it has him as 9th. When a player scores they get like a +1 to their match rating so of course McTominay is doing fairly well on there when hes our top scorer in the league.

The poster said he's our answer to Bellingham. Bellingham has been the best player in la liga, not a top 6 player at the 6th best team in the league. If he's our answer we failed the question

Obviously its going to be tough to match the best player in another top league for anyone. All the more reason it was silly

Ekeke

I think half his goals have come from starts and half from the bench for us, while all his goals for Scotland have come from starts. I reckon he starts for the majority of PL sides more often than not, but to an upper-level club he's generally more useful in those chaos moments you get towards the end of games.
Yep think you're right 4 from starts, 4 from the bench for United with goals in the league and champions league. But keep in mind he's started 7 more games than he's come off the bench

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It feels mad saying this, but I wonder what the odds are on Mctominay to be top scorer at the Euros. Even if Scotland barely get past the group stage, you'd still fancy him to score a few.