Sergio Aguero | Performances

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
Rooney has achieved more and played in greater teams which made it harder to stand out. Rooney on form at his best offered more for the team than Aguero.

Don’t let his last few seasons at United blind your perception of peak Rooney. He was unbelievable.
If i understand correctly, it's more difficult to be a good striker in a shit team with no service than a great team with loads of service, strewth......

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not possible, he hasn't even made the PFA POTY team yet, let alone get nominated for POTY, clearly bobbins.
If i understand correctly, it's more difficult to be a good striker in a shit team with no service than a great team with loads of service, strewth......
oh good, another arrogant sarcastic City fan, exactly what the forum needs.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Has he been the best PL striker in the last 10-15 years? Certainly a case for it.
Post-Henry, yes.

I understand it's Redcafe but he really doesn't get enough credit. Deserves to go down as one of the greatest strikers of all time. A Champions League will help his claim.
Could do with delivering internationally.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Best striker in the EPL for the past five years. I can't pinpoint a single weakness in him except maybe his tackling!

Can't believe Chelsea took Torres over him.
His first touch is a little loose these days, and he's lost a yard because of repeated injuries, but that's pretty much it.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Bit hyperbolic mate. As it stands he has only finished the season as top scorer once in his career, has never scored over 30 goals in the league in his career and has only won two league titles. His international scoring record isn't great either.

These types of comments always happen when he has an explosion in form but then he either tapers off, gets injured or City start underwhelming.

As it stands, no way will he go down in history as one of the greatest ever strikers That is unless he has a really amazing end to his career and really starts to clean up under Pep wins Argentina something etc.
It's worth mentioning that the one year he did win the Golden Boot (14-15 season) was the one year he wasn't completely bogged down by injuries.

Missed 9 games of the 12/13 season, 16 games of the 13/14 season, 7 games of the 14-15 season, 11 games of the 15/16 season, only 2 so far this season.

2013-2015 were his peak years but he missed 23 games during that spell, which, with his strike rate, would have been worth around 18 goals.

Stacks

Bit hyperbolic mate. As it stands he has only finished the season as top scorer once in his career, has never scored over 30 goals in the league in his career and has only won two league titles. His international scoring record isn't great either.

These types of comments always happen when he has an explosion in form but then he either tapers off, gets injured or City start underwhelming.

As it stands, no way will he go down in history as one of the greatest ever strikers That is unless he has a really amazing end to his career and really starts to clean up under Pep wins Argentina something etc.
He will go down as one of the greatest strikers to be honest. He is top scorer at his club nearly every season, despite missing games through injury. That is the important part. His consistency in front of goal. 143 EPL goals in 203 games. that's a 0.7 strike rate which is higher than RVN and Thierry Henry. That makes him one of the greatest in the EPL history. 30 league goals is a rare thing in the EPL. Henry did it once in 7 seasons. He is about to win his 3rd title as lead striker. Again more than Henry and most the other greats such as Batistuta. He is Argentina's 3rd time record goalscorer. He has achieved all this despite being injury prone. who are the great number 9's that have done better than Kun? He has achieved more than virtually all the number 9's in his country

Classical Mechanic

It's worth mentioning that the one year he did win the Golden Boot (14-15 season) was the one year he wasn't completely bogged down by injuries.

Missed 9 games of the 12/13 season, 16 games of the 13/14 season, 7 games of the 14-15 season, 11 games of the 15/16 season, only 2 so far this season.

2013-2015 were his peak years but he missed 23 games during that spell, which, with his strike rate, would have been worth around 18 goals.
He will go down as one of the greatest strikers to be honest. He is top scorer at his club nearly every season, despite missing games through injury. That is the important part. His consistency in front of goal. 143 EPL goals in 203 games. that's a 0.7 strike rate which is higher than RVN and Thierry Henry. That makes him one of the greatest in the EPL history. 30 league goals is a rare thing in the EPL. Henry did it once in 7 seasons. He is about to win his 3rd title as lead striker. Again more than Henry and most the other greats such as Batistuta. He is Argentina's 3rd time record goalscorer. He has achieved all this despite being injury prone. who are the great number 9's that have done better than Kun? He has achieved more than virtually all the number 9's in his country
Fair points but he won't go down as one of the games greatest strikers with his current body of work for me. In the PL yes he is one of the best strikers to appear.

He isn't Argentina's third top striker though (5th currently as far as I can see). His gpg record at international level is vastly inferior to Batistuta's and a little bit inferior to Higuian's. Also, being injury prone has't stopped him from being in his NTs top 10 for all time caps.

Last edited:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Post-Henry, yes.

Could do with delivering internationally.
It's bizarre how poor strikers (attackers in general really) seem to have been for Argentina compared to their club level in the past decade or so.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Not really, the player will have less competition for scoring goals along with the team being focused around them.

Lukaku was arguably better for Everton than United for example.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's been at city since 2011, right? Was he ever the best striker in the league in any single season? I don't think he was, but i don't follow city or the PL as much as you guys do...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's been at city since 2011, right? Was he ever the best striker in the league in any single season? I don't think he was, but i don't follow city or the PL as much as you guys do...
Probably the 2014/15 season, but at any rate, there's been long periods of times where people would have considered him the best striker in the league.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I think this has been Sergio's problem in individual seasons, not that getting in the team of the year matters that much.

In his first two seasons season, 11/12 and 12/13, Van Persie was in the best form of his entire career. In his second season he was the best striker in the league in terms of ability but only managed to score 17 league goals due to repeated injuries and Suarez was around and at his peak. He was unquestionably the best in 14/15 but Diego Costa helped Chelsea to the title in a big way. Since then Harry Kane's been the best striker in the league. Aguero's longevity in the Prmeier League has extended beyond that of his contemporaries, which means there's now time for pundits and the media to reflect on how good he's actually been - that Van Persie, Suarez and Costa were excellent but they're all gone now, which means we can all look back at how good Sergio has been for such a long time. Not that Sergio has ever given this kinda stuff a second thought.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably 2014-2015.

The real problem when it comes to placing/rating Aguero though are his failings for Argentina and constant no shows in the CL(tbf he's not the only City player guilty, David Silva is another). We'll see if he can dispel either 1 this year.

KYcinco

It seems possible he could become the third all time top scorer, depends on how long he stays. The amazing thing is that Kane is only 42 goals behind Aguero currently!

You have

1. Shearer
2. Ronaldo
3. Henry

Do you think he will take a place there?
Ronaldo over Henry? Never

Out of your current top 3 , (Prenier league)Ronaldo is the weakest link.
So obviously with that said, he would replace Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Ronaldo over Henry? Never

Out of your current top 3 , (Prenier league)Ronaldo is the weakest link.
So obviously with that said, he would replace Ronaldo.
Ronaldo is the single best player to ever play in the league, when he was our best player we won three titles in a row and reached two CL finals, this was also when the PL was the strongest league in Europe. The kind of achievement Aguero's City aspire to.

KYcinco

Ronaldo is the single best player to ever play in the league, when he was our best player we won three titles in a row and reached two CL finals, this was also when the PL was the strongest league in Europe. The kind of achievement Aguero's City aspire to.
Ronaldo's time in the premier league isnt better than Henry's , who has records in both assists and goalscoring, dont mention CL, if we are strictly talking about being a premier league forward.
Aguero is top 3.

Classical Mechanic

Ronaldo's time in the premier league isnt better than Henry's , who has records in both assists and goalscoring, dont mention CL, if we are strictly talking about being a premier league forward.
Aguero is top 3.
Ronaldo led us to the greatest achievement in Premier League history. Three titles on the spin when the league was its strongest ever. A greater achievement than Henry and several orders of magnitude better than any thing Aguero has ever done.

Aguero has never been the protagonist in any great side. Even now he is third to Silva and KDB. Arguably Sterling has been more important with his late point winning goals.

This is something Ronaldo and Henry have over other players in the discussion.

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Ronaldo led us to the greatest achievement in Premier League history. Three titles on the spin when the league was its strongest ever. A greater achievement than Henry and several orders of magnitude better than any thing Aguero has ever done.

Aguero has never been the protagonist in any great side. Even now he is third to Silva and KDB. Arguably Sterling has been more important with his late point winning goals.

This is something Ronaldo and Henry have over other players in the discussion.
What's this based on?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I understand it's Redcafe but he really doesn't get enough credit. Deserves to go down as one of the greatest strikers of all time. A Champions League will help his claim.
One of the premier league's greatest, or one of the greatest strikers of all time?

The former, you could argue. The latter - surely he'd have needed to win more UCL/proven it more with his NT? Maybe @IFC 1905 can give us more thoughts on how Aguero has done for the NT. I've not followed their NT that well outside of major tournaments. But I've always had the feeling that he's underwhelmed (even though he still has an almost 1 in 2 record for them).

KYcinco

You can't base the strength of anything on performance in cup competitions, be it players or teams or leagues.
Exactly, theirs 16 other clubs in the league!

To place Ronaldo above Henry who has won the most golden boot awards(4), 2nd(he might be 3rd now) highest goals per min ratio, currently the only player to score 20+ goals 5 seasons in a row, also his current record of having the most assist in a season (20, which could be topped by KDB this season), is crazy.

Anyway,back to topic, Aguero is having a great season.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Aguero is top 3.
stats wise maybe yes, but overall no.
Ronaldo was quite better than Henry, and that is not a bad thing, to be inferior of Ronaldo.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
What can you use then?
League performances at the end of any given season.

We could just say that Ronaldo and Aguero are both great forwards, and that Ronaldo's peak is much higher than Aguero's but that Aguero is also a brilliant forward, and just leave it at that. This endless need for comparison between brilliant players is one of the worst aspects of football discourse online, especially when they don't even play in the same position.

Classical Mechanic

What's this based on?
From the year 2004 - 2011. Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal and United all appeared in the CL final at least once. In 2008 when we won it, three of the semi finalists were from the Premier League.

Not many people would deny that the PL was the strongest in that era.

You can't base the strength of anything on performance in cup competitions, be it players or teams or leagues.
UEFA do, the Coefficients.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
From the year 2004 - 2011. Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal and United all appeared in the CL final at least once. In 2008 when we won it, three of the semi finalists were from the Premier League.

Not many people would deny that the PL was the strongest in that era.
What about the other 16 teams?

Classical Mechanic

What about the other 16 teams?
What about them?

edit: the number of CL finals appeared in by those sides were

United x 3
Chelsea x 2
Liverpool x 2
Arsenal x 1

In that era all our title rivals (three of them) were capable of wining the CL i.e. among the absolute elite in Europe. That makes our three up title win even more remarkable given the strength of our competitors. The strength of the other 16 teams doesn't strike me as that important really when you are talking about title wins against such strong direct competitors.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

You can't base the strength of the Premier League on four teams when there are twenty involved.
Please refer to my edit on the previous post. European competition performance is the soundest way of ranking leagues we have.

Nonetheless, you have to beat your direct rivals to win the league so it is sound no matter how you try to spin it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You can't base the strength of the Premier League on four teams when there are twenty involved.
Check out the points total, GD, number of wins and losses for the top 6 over the last 11 seasons...

Over the last two seasons we've seen chelsea set the record for wins and the second highest points total ever, and this season we have city picking up 72 out of 81 points, losing one game, in January, having already scored 79 goals with 11 games to go, and breaking the record for consecutive wins

You could chalk city up to them being the greatest PL side ever, but last season's chelsea? 14/15 chelsea who finished with 87 points with 3 games in hand? Who got played off the park at home by a 10 men PSG? 13/14 City, who got spanked by the weakest barcelona side of the last 10 years, actually didn't even finish with a high points total but still scored the second most goals in PL history with the 3rd best ever GD?

IFC 1905

One of the premier league's greatest, or one of the greatest strikers of all time?

The former, you could argue. The latter - surely he'd have needed to win more UCL/proven it more with his NT? Maybe @IFC 1905 can give us more thoughts on how Aguero has done for the NT. I've not followed their NT that well outside of major tournaments. But I've always had the feeling that he's underwhelmed (even though he still has an almost 1 in 2 record for them).

From 2008 to 2012 he's been relegated by Tevez. Aguero was by far the better player but Tevez had all the media behind him.
I think from 2012 to 2013 he's performed really well, under coach Sabella. Him and Higuain. Then, he was phisically dead at the WC, filled with harmstrings. He didn't perform and people took it against him.

He has never managed to perform as good for the NT as he's done it Club level. Ever.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
From 2008 to 2012 he's been relegated by Tevez. Aguero was by far the better player but Tevez had all the media behind him.
I think from 2012 to 2013 he's performed really well, under coach Sabella. Him and Higuain. Then, he was phisically dead at the WC, filled with harmstrings. He didn't perform and people took it against him.

He has never managed to perform as good for the NT as he's done it Club level. Ever.
Thanks for the response bud. Yeah I’d say that, and his lack of UCL success (thus far) will probably weigh heavily against him when he’s talked about amongst greats.

IFC 1905

Thanks for the response bud. Yeah I’d say that, and his lack of UCL success (thus far) will probably weigh heavily against him when he’s talked about amongst greats.
I've gotta say that the best manager he's ever had in order to accomplish his champions league campaign is Guardiola. Didn't like Mancini and Pellegrini.

I don't think it goes on him. You can say he's not done enough to get to a bigger team that had real possibilities of winning it. For example Real Madrid.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I've gotta say that the best manager he's ever had in order to accomplish his champions league campaign is Guardiola. Didn't like Mancini and Pellegrini.

I don't think it goes on him. You can say he's not done enough to get to a bigger team that had real possibilities of winning it. For example Real Madrid.
Yeah supremely talented player, but basically spent his best years getting City to the elite club level.

They do have a good shot at UCL glory this season though, as much as it pains me to say it.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
I don't think that the PL has ever been as strong as it is now. Most United fans will agree to it as well.

RooneyLegend

He's on the course to 30 league goals at this rate, if his form holds. Something he should've done some time ago. Pity for him, when he's slightly past his prime that's when City hire a coach worth the sort of money they have instead of pretenders like Mancini and Pellegrini.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think that the PL has ever been as strong as it is now. Most United fans will agree to it as well.
How have you come to this conclusion? How long have you been watching the PL?

I’m sure no United fans with any sort of memory would agree. The PL has been weak for a number of years. It may be getting stronger this year but that remains to be seen and furthermore if it can be sustained.