Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
She clearly regrets nothing, has no remorse for her actions and would be a huge threat if she came back to Britain.

If revoking her citizenship is legal and goes through I think it's the right decision.
Yep. She hates everything about this country...apart from our benefits system and the NHS.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Privileging, erasure, triggering... just a few more words and I complete my lefty whinging bingo card.
If it's college kids moaning about people clapping their hands then I've no time for it either. Happy to overlook it in this case though given what her people have been (and are still going) through.

Balljy

I’d say it’s just a loophole the British government have exploited to wash their hands of her. The Bangladeshis won’t want her, nor should they be expected to. So she’ll be effectively stateless.
There was a lawyer who specializes in these cases on a few days ago saying that the only way we could revoke her citizenship was if she had the capability of being a dual national, which it appears is the case but also if the second nation was almost certain to agree to the request. Either we've come to a deal or we will be ruled to be acting illegally if her layers actually do fight this in court.

The expert was pretty sure that we wouldn't be able to revoke her citizenship and if we attempted to it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny. Guess we'll see now.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There was a lawyer who specializes in these cases on a few days ago saying that the only way we could revoke her citizenship was if she had the capability of being a dual national, which it appears is the case but also if the second nation was almost certain to agree to the request. Either we've come to a deal or we will be ruled to be acting illegally if her layers actually do fight this in court.

The expert was pretty sure that we wouldn't be able to revoke her citizenship and if we attempted to it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny. Guess we'll see now.
Interesting. Sky now reporting she is a Bangladeshi citizen:

On the other hand...

Abizzz

I guess that will put Bangladesh at the end of the list Liam Fox is targeting for trade deals :lol:

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
On this basis any Jewish person can be kicked out should they commit a crime on the grounds that they are entitled to Israeli citizenship, we've been booting out Windrush kids for speeding tickets

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Wasn’t at all sure how I felt about this when I first read it but after giving it a bit of thought it may be for the best.

She seems to love her husband but I can’t see him being allowed to join her in the UK or her being allowed to join him in the Netherlands. As far as the general culture here goes it doesn’t suit either of their beliefs, it’s far removed from the culture they chose and believe to be the right one for them. The Bangladeshi culture may meet their needs much more than ours. She most likely will have relatives there and it’s a place where her family will also feel at home. I’d feel much happier knowing that their child was living with both of it’s parents and that may be possible in Bangladesh. Granted they wouldn’t have all of the financial benefits there that they would receive here but they may have a far more contented life.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
the parents need looking into too, it’s strange they seem to be more disappointed that she’s been stripped of her citizenship over the fact their precious daughter run off to join Isis.

Minimalist

Can't say I care upon hearing this. She sounds a bit mental at the very least.

Her age is a daft excuse in my opinion. Some people are giving her more sympathy for travelling and joining ISIS than the typical teenage pregnancy gets.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
the parents need looking into too, it’s strange they seem to be more disappointed that she’s been stripped of her citizenship over the fact their precious daughter run off to join Isis.
They want their daughter back so they aren't going to be telling her how angry they are with her no matter how they feel until she's home.

People are really stupid and lack empathy and insight

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Can't say I care upon hearing this. She sounds a bit mental at the very least.

Her age is a daft excuse in my opinion. Some people are giving her more sympathy for travelling and joining ISIS than the typical teenage pregnancy gets.
You don't want politicians who are rewarded for shitting on brown people, because they then feel they have to keep finding new ways to shit on brown people to keep the racists happy

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
All those people who are getting dual nationality to stay EU citizens should be sleeping a little less comfortably tonight

Kopral Jono

When a semblance of sympathy starts to creep in with this, I realise that this person supported what happened in Manchester. Every single person that went over there made them stronger and allowed attacks like this to happen. Made them look more powerful more appealing. They gave them the information needed. She was surely happy that it did happen. She shows no regret or remorse, in fact quite the opposite. Why should she get another chance and none of those kids? This isn't Daily Mail scaremongering. It's very real.
I echo this sentiment. Having said that, I can also sympathise with the counterargument that she should have gotten another chance of some form given the unique circumstances. The truth is with things like this it's quite rarely to be as black and white.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The Bangladeshi culture may meet their needs much more than ours. She most likely will have relatives there and it’s a place where her family will also feel at home. I’d feel much happier knowing that their child was living with both of it’s parents and that may be possible in Bangladesh. Granted they wouldn’t have all of the financial benefits there that they would receive here but they may have a far more contented life.
She's been left stateless mate, Bangladesh have no reason to accept her. This isn't the neat bow to the end of the story.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
When he first started gaining press, Javid went out his way to reassure the old biddies that make up the Tory membership how brown he isn't. 'I'm an atheist, my kids are Christian, I drink'.

Now he's home secratery he uses his browness as armour, 'Windrush is terrible, could've been my dad', all whilst continuing to implement racist policies.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Why did they all join a terrorist group who are at war with the UK?
We've kicked out Windrush kids for speeding tickets. We've used anti terrorist legislation to deny people visas who's accountants had made errors on their tax returns. When success is measured by how well you shit on foreigners, every dual national should be worried

FlawlessThaw

We’ll have to see what happens. But that’s the only way I can see them all living together as a family.
I think them living together as a family is done. Not sure they should even look after the baby themselves.

NinjaFletch

I’d say it’s just a loophole the British government have exploited to wash their hands of her. The Bangladeshis won’t want her, nor should they be expected to. So she’ll be effectively stateless.

Agree 100%, this is by far the best argument for letting her come home.

Baby boy born couple days ago.
Whole thing is fecking slimy anyway and barely covers the ill conceived disdain for the rest of the world Britain often acts with. 15 year old girl grows up in England and runs away to join ISIS and the government decide that, really, that's Bangladesh's problem because feck em, what they gonna do about it?

Presumably in cases of dual citizenship it can become a real thorny issue when one side revokes citizenship. The Daily Mail would have a fecking fit if the Dutch, say, revoked the Dutch nationality of a Dutch/British terrorist.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
On this basis any Jewish person can be kicked out should they commit a crime on the grounds that they are entitled to Israeli citizenship, we've been booting out Windrush kids for speeding tickets
Or not.

FlawlessThaw

Given the handling of the Brexit negotiations, I honestly doubt this Government had much of a discussion with Bangladesh over Begum. Javid got the pitchfork out and looked for an easy out.