Should we play Evra at Anfield in the Cup?

izzydiggler

of course we play him , what sort of message does it send out out if we dont play him , if he is fit.
If he is on the bench on the pitch or just sat in the stands , he will get the same vile abuse anyway.
The message should be that Liverpool's lack of control of the situation has escalated the situation to a point where it's unsafe for him to play.

pauldyson1uk

It's not right but Liverpool's 'frenzy baiting' make it not a good idea. Some idiot will try and throw something (at the very least there'll be a
Lot of vitriolic abuse), he'll get wound up and possibly retaliate in some way.

He's very passionate and don't think he would be unaffected - his form isn't great anyway - a rest will be best I think.
:rolleyes:
He is pro enough to not let the abuse get to him and he can play his game.
Evra is not the sort of player to retaliate in any way.
The best way to shut the vile scum up is to play him and just beat them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's not right but Liverpool's 'frenzy baiting' make it not a good idea. Some idiot will try and throw something (at the very least there'll be a
Lot of vitriolic abuse), he'll get wound up and possibly retaliate in some way.

He's very passionate and don't think he would be unaffected - his form isn't great anyway - a rest will be best I think.
Who can we play there? I suppose Jonny can come in as he's left footed.It would make it more defensively stable but lacking the overlapping of Evra

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Things are bound to be a little bit nasty but who else are we going to play at left back?

Sw33t

Not only will Evra play, he'll have an absolute blinder.

Inigo Montoya

The message should be that Liverpool's lack of control of the situation has escalated the situation to a point where it's unsafe for him to play.
And call us bottle merchants?

I'm sorry that it's come to this, big decision to be made.Ultimately it's down to Paddy

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Things are bound to be a little bit nasty but who else are we going to play at left back?
Evans? Anyone who can handle the occasion should be fine against the extraordinary pace and bewildering trickery of Dirk Kuyt.

pauldyson1uk

Dont agree , he should play and let the Police and ground staff sort out the idiots that will be there.
Pulling Evra out just because he will get some shit ,would send out thee wrong message.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yes Evra should play, adversity is to be faced if it is to be beaten. If hegets nothing but abuse, then it means that the problems are more widespread then first feared.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mad said:
The extraordinary pace and bewildering trickery of Dirk Kuyt.
*Alert - Sarcasm Overload*

:D

Inigo Montoya

Yes Evra should play, adversity is to be faced if it is to be beaten. If hegets nothing but abuse, then it means that the problems are more widespread then first feared.
He'll get abuse alright but it may well be the normal swearing kind and not racist.Not nice either way

izzydiggler

And call us bottle merchants?

I'm sorry that it's come to this, big decision to be made.Ultimately it's down to Paddy
There are good reasons to let him play and vice versa. I don't genuinely think he's in any form of danger but it will make a tense situation worse - the main point for me is that I'd ecpect Evra to be affected on the pitch and it doesn't help us as a team - see Rooney when he plays at Everton.

Either way, I agree - give Evra the choice and stick by him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What kind of message does it send out if you don't play one of your players in case he receives racial abuse?

Well done racists, you win?

Of course he should fecking play, unless he's injured or needs a rest.
Its not about if evra will recieve racial abuse but justdogs abuse in general.

It will be red hot there that day for Paddy and the atmosphere might get to him. What if he gets wound up and lashes out at someone getting himself sent off, that wouldn't do us any good would it?

If we have cover and good options to play there it might be wise to leave him out. Avoid the whole thing becoming a side show around Evra.

But then again fergie might tell him to go out and ruffle a few feathers so that Liverpool will be intent on getting Evra thus leaving the rest of the lads to play away.

Its a big call. Im sure the manager will do what he thinks is best for the club and the right result.

Inigo Montoya

Its not about if evra will recieve racial abuse but justdogs abuse in general.

It will be red hot there that day for Paddy and the atmosphere might get to him. What if he gets wound up and lashes out at someone getting himself sent off, that wouldn't do us any good would it?

If we have cover and good options to play there it might be wise to leave him out. Avoid the whole thing becoming a side show around Evra.

But then again fergie might tell him to go out and ruffle a few feathers so that Liverpool will be intent on getting Evra thus leaving the rest of the lads to play away.

Its a big call. Im sure the manager will do what he thinks is best for the club and the right result.

What message will it send out to paddy if he's dropped? Sorry mate you don't have the mental stength to take some shit from certain fans..

Give him this quote from Mandela to read before the game

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.

izzydiggler

Dont agree , he should play and let the Police and ground staff sort out the idiots that will be there.
Pulling Evra out just because he will get some shit ,would send out thee wrong message.
It's not really about 'messages' - I don't really care what it 'says'. It's not the abuse I'm concerned with - it's Evra's / the Team's reaction to it.

There are good points for both sides - I suppose it will be up to Evra / SAF -
I trust they'll discuss and make the right decision.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Evra won't be sent off for lashing out (has he ever done anything like that before in his career?). And it would be stupid to rest him on the off chance it might happen.

I doubt the fans' abuse will get to him.

He'll know they're only disgracing themselves

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No, we shouldn't drop him. He may receive a lot of abuse, but if it's so much abuse that he can't play, then surely Liverpool would get into trouble for it? He hasn't done anything wrong throughout this case.

untitled_6899

Don't know about racial abuse but he's going to get a barracking. The atmosphere will be terrible. He'll get what Neville got, only worse. He's a fiery character as well so I won't be surprised if he gave some back. From a United point of view, the less hostile the better. Going back to that Neville game, we never turned up that day and I feel the vitriolic atmosphere was a factor in that.
Exactly. Playing Neville then (or in this case Evra) creates a big target for the fans aim their vile insults at and something we can do without. It unsettles the whole team in my opinion.

In an ideal world, Evra shouldn't play but we will just have to wait and see.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What message will it send out to paddy if he's dropped? Sorry mate you don't have the mental stength to take some shit from certain fans..

Give him this quote from Mandela to read before the game

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
Its not a dropping as such though is it, more an omission for other reasons than form or discipline.

Evra will be the target of Liverpool players and fans alike. He might play and have a screamer of a game or he might react to constant abuse and bad tackles by booting someone and getting a red card, and we cant afford to have him sent off in a big game like that, especially as we have them a few days later in the league.

Im sure paddy will want to play one way or another but ferguson might not want him to given all the hype.

If it was me id be leaving it until the day of the match before i decided if his head was right on the day.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's Liverpool's chance to get back some respect.

Any racist abuse against Evra and they're official a racist club.

And the FA should ban Liverpool!!!!!
Might be an outside chance, but maybe their fans will behave. Remember City's fans were respctful during the silence for the Munich anniversary.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Might be an outside chance, but maybe their fans will behave. Remember City's fans were respctful during the silence for the Munich anniversary.
True, but IIRC City as a club made an effort to ensure their fans behaved. I can't see Doglish or Liverpool showing the same effort or dignity, particularly after their behaviour so far.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
True, but IIRC City as a club made an effort to ensure their fans behaved. I can't see Doglish or Liverpool showing the same effort or dignity, particularly after their behaviour so far.
I know, I am trying to be optimistic rather than slate them before it's even happened. Saying that, having just been on Rawk, I fear the worst.

Evra should play though- could actually help us by building up a siege mentality and unity among the players.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
They´ll just boo Evras every touch. I really doubt any of them would be crazy enough to use racist stuff with the eyes and ears of the world on them.

It´s really the safety of United fans amid the scumbags whipped up by Dalglish that should be the concern.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think both clubs should wear Kick It Out T-Shirts in the warm-up's and try to draw a line under this. Liverpool or Kenny should also publicly condemn any Suarez/Evra chants in much the same way SAF condemned the Arsene chants. If none of this happens and Kenny continues to whine about how fans treat Suarez then they can all go feck themselves. Evra must play.

Raulduke

Liverpool should be a lot more concerned about Evra playing than we should. Paddy can handle it I'm sure but the damage this could do to their already tattered reputation could be irreparable. The booing of a victim of racist abuse will be one thing but even the suggestion of anything more sinister directed at Evra would be disastrous for them as a club.

pauldyson1uk

I think has a club Liverpool have to try and defuse this potential dangerous situation.
They will have to have extra Police in and outside the ground and more stewards watching over there fans , and any fan that is seen to be shouting or doing anything racist he should be thrown out of the ground.
Even more so after the latest incident with Oldham , if anything happens in our match , I can see the FA stepping in and pressing charges on Liverpool.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not unless Evra specifically asks not to be played should it be even considered. Liverpool will welcome themselves to an empty Anfield if the shout racist abuses to him.