So then doom merchant... What would you do?

Akshay

Staff
The main thing I'd like him to do differently is allow both full-backs more freedom to get forward and make overlapping runs. Valencia often pushes up from RB but then whoever plays at LB is required to be much more restrained. That causes us problems in breaking down low block setups. We probably need a new left back in any case.

In a similar vein I hope we see more bursting runs from midfield to support attacks, but we probably need to buy a proper holding midfielder to afford that. Our attacking players don't seem to have much chemistry, apart from a few partnerships like Rashford - Lingard, Zlatan - Pogba, Herrera - Mata. It's difficult to suggest a remedy for that as I have no clue as to the cause.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
First i would give Mourinho another summer window and then 12 months from now to judge him! But for the sake of the argument this is how my 3 years plan(article style) for "saving" us! Doing the same as every other failing multibillion$ corporation would do:
1. Set yearly goals:
Year 1: Qualify for CL.
Year 2: Use CL qualification to lure some top players to the club. Challenge for PL-title.
Year 3:Win PL and challenge for CL-win (Semifinals).

2. Benchmarking:
Compare us to the best current teams in Europe(Juventus and Reak Madrid) in regards to squad composition and tactics. Hopefully see some differences in how we play and what abilities players in certain positions should have.

3. Most likely findings from the benchmarking:
Tactics:
The use of traditional wingers is outdated. When team is in possession of the ball the "wingers" goes central supporting the lone striker and with a somewhat free roaming role. Fullbacks pushed high taking the role as wingers on both sides. Putting in crosses, while the "wingers" are in the box. Also one holding/sitting midfielder, so called destroyer with decent technical, but good physical abilities. All players should be comfortable on the ball, playing short, fast passes on small areas. Recommend watching this video-analysis of how Real Madrid play: youtube
Squad composition/player abilities: Players in general are more balanced in regards to abilities, meaning that a defender should be able to play technical, or an attacker should be able to defend to some degree. Furthermore the need for physical abilities: you can't be slow and weak at the same time(called a hobbit), especially important for wide players.

4. Tactics and formations:
I would like to differentiate between attacking(on the ball) and defensive(off the ball) tactics. Attacking tactics should not so much be dependent on who you play, whereas defensive tactics should(especially against top teams.).
Attacking T&F: Straight out copy the way Real Madrid play, as shown in the video. On paper a 4-3-3 but not really so. Fullbacks playing as wingers, wingers going central etc. 3 in the midfield where one is holding/destroyer, 1 is the playmaker/spielfuhrer and the third is a more dynamic attacking B2B.
Defensive T/F: Dependent on opposition, but usually 4-4-2, where one winger goes into the midfield and the other as striker. High pressure, try forcing long balls and win possession.

5. Squad composition/Transfers(DDG stay or go? Who knows? Will not touch the subject). Have more or less a clear 1/2 second string.
Will sell/release these players the first window:
Rooney - Finished.
Zlatan - Due to injury.
Blind - Weak for a CB, slow for a FB. And actually not that good on the ball.
Jones - Injuries
Smalling - Injuries
Shaw - Has the qualities of a modern FB, but the injuries. Get the money while we can.
Darmian - Would have been a great fullback in 1960.
Mata - Hobbit.
Januzai - Attitude, lack of coachability etc.
Total: 75£-100£

Transfers in(Some of the transfers might not come, based on the no CL fact):
Starting LB - Emerson, Roma. Fast, crossing, dribbling got it all. Not more than 30£.
Starting CB - Van Dijk, Southampton. Strong, fast, technical defender. Uncertainty regarding lack of CL. 50£ max.
Starting CDM - Hopefully Fabinho, but he may not want to come. Then i would go for a short term solution in Luiz Gustavo. Big, strong, "only" 29, decent on the ball. 20£
Starting RB - Aurier. Second string in PSG, rumored this summer anyways. National link with Bailly. 25£ max.
Attacking player - Thomas Lemar. Versatile attacking player. Might be going to Juventus though. 40£. Other options would be Bruma at Galatasaray. Since we got no CL then no Dybala or Griezmann.
Backup CB - Micheal Keane. If it is true that we managed to bake in a re-signing clause in the contract for only 15£, then sign him up.
Backup CF - Defoe on free. 15 goals for Sunderland managed by Moyes. Says it all. Short term.
Backup CDM - Soualiho Meïté, 23, Zulte Waregem(loaned from Lille). 15£. Wanyama with two feet and technique. Don't know why he hasn't been linked to a big club yet.
Total: 185£
Keep Carrick and Fellaini for another year.

6. Lineup(Clear first 11 and second 11)
Giving us a first 11(Second string) 4-3-3(Same tactics as Real Madrid):
DDG(Romero)
Aurier(Tony V) - Bailly(Keane) - Van Dijk(Rojo) - Emerson(Young)
Herrera(Carrick) - L. Gustavo(Meïté) - Pogba(Fellaini)
Lemar(MhikiT) - Rashford(Defoe) - Martial(Lingard)

Additional youngsters like Tanuezebe and TFM given playtime in cups etc. Pereira kept and be tried as a midfielder as he has in LaLiga this season. And replace Fellaini if he is usable.

7. Season 2 transfers(Assuming that we get CL qualification)
Young - Replaced by some young LB. Like Ryan Sessegnon.
Carrick retired - Leandro Paredes, Roma, in. Great passing and vision. Long and short balls. Can attack and tackle, control the game. Herrera moved to second string.
Fellaini sold - Some fast B2B midfielder, Naby Keita, Saul, Koke or something like that.
Defoe out - Break the bank for Dybala.
8. Season 3 Transfers:
Splash cash on world class replacements for Gustavo and Mhikyarian. Too far into the future to name specifics.

So why might this work:
1. Real Madrids tactics is really simple, modern and made for breaking down teams that park the bus against them.
2. Replacing so many players the first season does not necessarily mean that the squad needs time to settle or that it will be useless for 6 months. Remember that Mourinho sold 8+ and bought 8+ players his first season at Chelsea and still won the league comfortably.
3. Having players with abilities suited to their position might be an idea? I mean Blind as a CB, or let Darmian touch the ball above midfield.
You basically want Zinedine Zidane as your next manager, don't you?!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
1 GK, 3 FB, 2CB, 2 cm, 3 wingers and 1 striker ? :lol:
Squad wise yes which would mean over 3 transfer windows.

For this summer 6-8 signings.

I'd get rid of januzaj, Wilson, CBj, blind, Smalling, jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Carrick, Lingard, Mata, Rooney, Zlatan, (TFM on loan) so there's big gaps in the squad which need to be filled.

Miscemayl

Given we sacked Jose after a year despite reaching the EL final (in this scenario), I'll focus exclusively with the league and play the kids+ backups for all 3 cups (EFL, FA and EL) for all stages. The first XI plays in the league exclusively (as much as possible)

In terms of recruitment, the two focus areas are ST and DM. Lukaku and Fabinho would be my pick.

If I have the budget, I'll buy another CB to partner Bailly.

DDG
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw
Fabinho
Pogba Herrera
Mkhi Lukaku Martial

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

Do lighten up, boys.

On a more topical note. I'd argue that the vast majority of 'moaning' directed at both Mourinho and the quality of our football in recent months is completely fair as justified. Other than that, very few, if any, people are seriously suggesting that Mourinho should be sacked.

You're seeing things.
It was a joke. Do lighten up son. You have to be able to take it if you are willing to dish it out ;)

It's not the moaning per say it's the myopic unconstructive manner which they are done in. I think that's the point. Hence this thread as a proposed remedy by @TheReligion .

Rusholme Ruffian

And so? I can't stand the man for obvious reasons that have been long before he joined United. Do I now just ignore that and be a hypocrite because he now manages United? Do you love all the United players equally. We are supporters not called to be lovers of the players or managers, just to love the club, which is what I've done.
That's fine, but don't now claim to have not been negative then!

People like you just pick posts at your convenience. I've said from day one that despite not being my preference, I will support him as manager and hope he changes for the better of the club which will in turn be to his own advantage. No where have I advocated his sacking in any post. He's here, and I'm dealing with it, hoping that he proves my preconceived thoughts wrong.
But you haven't just kept your 'preconceived thoughts' to yourself have you, you have relentlessly told everyone your preconceived thoughts, repeating them ad nauseum. Yes, you haven't uttered the words "I think he should be sacked', but virtually all your posts are completely negative. You say 'he's here and I'm dealing with it', but the way that you're dealing with it is by moaning all the bloody time. That's fine, it's not up to me to say what you should or shouldn't write, and I'm not saying that no criticism is warranted - but don't be surprised if someone takes issue when you say that nothing that you have written has been borne out of dislike or negativity.

So just because he is manager, is he above criticism? Anyone that underperforms should be criticized and, and if you cannot filter out emotions in the heat of the moment comments then maybe you should not be on a public forum.
Hang about, you're the one that has, in literally your last post on this thread, written "I can't stand the man for obvious reasons that have been long before he joined United. Do I just ignore that and be a hypocrite because he now manages United", and you're saying that I am the one that "cannot filter out emotions"?!

It's quite clear to me that Mourinho has a huge job on his hands here, you yourself said earlier in the thread that the club needs 4 years of rebuild from the bottom up, and yet you were on the manager's back from October!

Anyway, this is my last post today so I can't continue the debate beyond what I've written above.

TheReligion

Abusive
First i would give Mourinho another summer window and then 12 months from now to judge him! But for the sake of the argument this is how my 3 years plan(article style) for "saving" us! Doing the same as every other failing multibillion$ corporation would do:
1. Set yearly goals:
Year 1: Qualify for CL.
Year 2: Use CL qualification to lure some top players to the club. Challenge for PL-title.
Year 3:Win PL and challenge for CL-win (Semifinals).

2. Benchmarking:
Compare us to the best current teams in Europe(Juventus and Reak Madrid) in regards to squad composition and tactics. Hopefully see some differences in how we play and what abilities players in certain positions should have.

3. Most likely findings from the benchmarking:
Tactics:
The use of traditional wingers is outdated. When team is in possession of the ball the "wingers" goes central supporting the lone striker and with a somewhat free roaming role. Fullbacks pushed high taking the role as wingers on both sides. Putting in crosses, while the "wingers" are in the box. Also one holding/sitting midfielder, so called destroyer with decent technical, but good physical abilities. All players should be comfortable on the ball, playing short, fast passes on small areas. Recommend watching this video-analysis of how Real Madrid play: youtube
Squad composition/player abilities: Players in general are more balanced in regards to abilities, meaning that a defender should be able to play technical, or an attacker should be able to defend to some degree. Furthermore the need for physical abilities: you can't be slow and weak at the same time(called a hobbit), especially important for wide players.

4. Tactics and formations:
I would like to differentiate between attacking(on the ball) and defensive(off the ball) tactics. Attacking tactics should not so much be dependent on who you play, whereas defensive tactics should(especially against top teams.).
Attacking T&F: Straight out copy the way Real Madrid play, as shown in the video. On paper a 4-3-3 but not really so. Fullbacks playing as wingers, wingers going central etc. 3 in the midfield where one is holding/destroyer, 1 is the playmaker/spielfuhrer and the third is a more dynamic attacking B2B.
Defensive T/F: Dependent on opposition, but usually 4-4-2, where one winger goes into the midfield and the other as striker. High pressure, try forcing long balls and win possession.

5. Squad composition/Transfers(DDG stay or go? Who knows? Will not touch the subject). Have more or less a clear 1/2 second string.
Will sell/release these players the first window:
Rooney - Finished.
Zlatan - Due to injury.
Blind - Weak for a CB, slow for a FB. And actually not that good on the ball.
Jones - Injuries
Smalling - Injuries
Shaw - Has the qualities of a modern FB, but the injuries. Get the money while we can.
Darmian - Would have been a great fullback in 1960.
Mata - Hobbit.
Januzai - Attitude, lack of coachability etc.
Total: 75£-100£

Transfers in(Some of the transfers might not come, based on the no CL fact):
Starting LB - Emerson, Roma. Fast, crossing, dribbling got it all. Not more than 30£.
Starting CB - Van Dijk, Southampton. Strong, fast, technical defender. Uncertainty regarding lack of CL. 50£ max.
Starting CDM - Hopefully Fabinho, but he may not want to come. Then i would go for a short term solution in Luiz Gustavo. Big, strong, "only" 29, decent on the ball. 20£
Starting RB - Aurier. Second string in PSG, rumored this summer anyways. National link with Bailly. 25£ max.
Attacking player - Thomas Lemar. Versatile attacking player. Might be going to Juventus though. 40£. Other options would be Bruma at Galatasaray. Since we got no CL then no Dybala or Griezmann.
Backup CB - Micheal Keane. If it is true that we managed to bake in a re-signing clause in the contract for only 15£, then sign him up.
Backup CF - Defoe on free. 15 goals for Sunderland managed by Moyes. Says it all. Short term.
Backup CDM - Soualiho Meïté, 23, Zulte Waregem(loaned from Lille). 15£. Wanyama with two feet and technique. Don't know why he hasn't been linked to a big club yet.
Total: 185£
Keep Carrick and Fellaini for another year.

6. Lineup(Clear first 11 and second 11)
Giving us a first 11(Second string) 4-3-3(Same tactics as Real Madrid):
DDG(Romero)
Aurier(Tony V) - Bailly(Keane) - Van Dijk(Rojo) - Emerson(Young)
Herrera(Carrick) - L. Gustavo(Meïté) - Pogba(Fellaini)
Lemar(MhikiT) - Rashford(Defoe) - Martial(Lingard)

Additional youngsters like Tanuezebe and TFM given playtime in cups etc. Pereira kept and be tried as a midfielder as he has in LaLiga this season. And replace Fellaini if he is usable.

7. Season 2 transfers(Assuming that we get CL qualification)
Young - Replaced by some young LB. Like Ryan Sessegnon.
Carrick retired - Leandro Paredes, Roma, in. Great passing and vision. Long and short balls. Can attack and tackle, control the game. Herrera moved to second string.
Fellaini sold - Some fast B2B midfielder, Naby Keita, Saul, Koke or something like that.
Defoe out - Break the bank for Dybala.
8. Season 3 Transfers:
Splash cash on world class replacements for Gustavo and Mhikyarian. Too far into the future to name specifics.

So why might this work:
1. Real Madrids tactics is really simple, modern and made for breaking down teams that park the bus against them.
2. Replacing so many players the first season does not necessarily mean that the squad needs time to settle or that it will be useless for 6 months. Remember that Mourinho sold 8+ and bought 8+ players his first season at Chelsea and still won the league comfortably.
3. Having players with abilities suited to their position might be an idea? I mean Blind as a CB, or let Darmian touch the ball above midfield.
I love the no nonsense undertones of this post!

Zii

Step 1 - Get rid of all the players that are injured far too often to be a reliable squad member

Step 2 - Get rid of the players that are simply a level below what we need to compete for a title

Go from there. Can't Keep having this players taking up squad time, money for us.

Mihai

Squad wise yes which would mean over 3 transfer windows.

For this summer 6-8 signings.

I'd get rid of januzaj, Wilson, CBj, blind, Smalling, jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Carrick, Lingard, Mata, Rooney, Zlatan, (TFM on loan) so there's big gaps in the squad which need to be filled.
I don't think we will sing more than 3-4 players this summer. I think, realistically, just Januzaj and probably Rooney could be sold (he could still be here next year If Zlatan is not coming back and we don't find a buyer for him).

12 players even in 3 transfer windows is too much. We will probably add 7, max 8.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think we will sing more than 3-4 players this summer. I think, realistically, just Januzaj and probably Rooney could be sold (he could still be here next year If Zlatan is not coming back and we don't find a buyer for him).

12 players even in 3 transfer windows is too much. We will probably add 7, max 8.
Mate look at Jose career transfer record in terms of windows. Last season summer with just 4 was an outlier. It's not a typical Jose window, very understated.

davidmichael

Given the hypothetical context is that we haven't got CL football and that I am assuming we'd be operating on earth do you not think raiding Spurs of nearly half their first XI is optimisitc?

Walker or Dier I could understand, Alderweirald and Alli would be no goes in my book simply not for sale.

Bellerin would not join us and Sanchez (if we were out of the CL) would have better offers. Although throw enough money his way and who knows!

The problem you have with having your 'pants down' is that again hypothetically speaking you would further add to the United tax added to transfers, this would make your long term transfer policy very difficult to enforce.
Levy is a businessman and if he thinks he can make as much money as possible for Spurs and buy replacements of the same quality he would, look at all the world class players he's sold so I think he would take £200 million for those 4 and think he was getting a great deal.

How many times did Sir Alex raid his rivals over his time with us or buy proven players from our own league ? Yes it'll cost and because it's us they'll no doubt be "the United tax" added to any fees but we overpaid for players who weren't proven in our league and saw them fail massively then get moved on at a loss.

davidmichael

Given the hypothetical context is that we haven't got CL football and that I am assuming we'd be operating on earth do you not think raiding Spurs of nearly half their first XI is optimisitc?

Walker or Dier I could understand, Alderweirald and Alli would be no goes in my book simply not for sale.

Bellerin would not join us and Sanchez (if we were out of the CL) would have better offers. Although throw enough money his way and who knows!

The problem you have with having your 'pants down' is that again hypothetically speaking you would further add to the United tax added to transfers, this would make your long term transfer policy very difficult to enforce.
Levy is a businessman and if he thinks he can make as much money as possible for Spurs and buy replacements of the same quality he would, look at all the world class players he's sold so I think he would take £200 million for those 4 and think he was getting a great deal.

How many times did Sir Alex raid his rivals over his time with us or buy proven players from our own league ? Yes it'll cost and because it's us they'll no doubt be "the United tax" added to any fees but we overpaid for players who weren't proven in our league and saw them fail massively then get moved on at a loss.

davidmichael

dichinero

That's fine, it's not up to me to say what you should or shouldn't write, and I'm not saying that no criticism is warranted - but don't be surprised if someone takes issue when you say that nothing that you have written has been borne out of dislike or negativity.
I think you just love to moan about other people's opinions that don't sit well with you. It's a forum and anyone that takes others opinions to heart should not be on here. It's not like the management are in the CAF, and if they are, so be it.

Anyway, have a nice day

Mihai

Mate look at Jose career transfer record in terms of windows. Last season summer with just 4 was an outlier. It's not a typical Jose window, very understated.
You are probably right. In his second season at Inter, he bought 10 players :eek:.

davidmichael

Fosu-Mens

You basically want Zinedine Zidane as your next manager, don't you?!
I'm happy to give JM another season before giving my verdict. But! I reckon I'd be annoyed come 1. September and we have only signed Griezmann and Mendy, or 12 months from now we are in the same discussions.
As for Having Zidane as manager in the future: if he can attract Dybala(step above Griezmann) and that Jose fecked it up, i won't complain. Also his tactics are working, and RM seems to train better(passing and technique on another level compared to us). Could also have mentioned the way Juventus play now, but Pogba needs to be in a midfield 3. Having a similar role to Modric would suit him quite well. And for copying other tactics; Benchmarking is one of the most used and effective "tools" in the world of business.

As for mass scale revamps in small time period with Mourinho: Throwback to 04/05, his first season at Chelsea
Summer transfers in: 8
Summer transfers out: 14
Final league position: 1. with 12 points to spare

Bit off topic: Why the love for Benjamin Mendy? I get that we need a new LB. And he certainly can cross, but he reminds me of a leftfooted Valencia. His technique is a bit off, and to big/heavy(185cm/85kg) to really sprint up and down that sideline for 90 min. I would rather we go for someone else! Not that statistics are everything, but should at least give an indication: Mendy/Sandro/Emerson/Darmian/Alonso

Moonwalker

What a bizarre mixture of preciousness, pomposity, and conceit this thread is.

Mohammed Javed

Sell De Gea if hes not for it and have Romero and Joel Periera battle it out for a season depending on how we get on on.

Get a RB to compete with valencia. Aurier would be my choice.
2 CB's 1 starter and and the other for cover. We defo need a ball playing CB so id love to get Bonnuci/ Alderwierald. And get Keane/ Gimenez as covers.
Id like shaw to stay but if he cant stay fit id go for someone like Rose/Alba/bernat.

For the midfield: id sign carrick for 1 more year to ease the transition of a Paredes/ Wiegl. also his experience is vital as id shift on Rooney.
Id have Pogba and Herrera in front of the DM. Id like to get an upgrade on Hererra after a year and keep and get someone like Saul/Verratti
As for the attack we need a winger who can beat a man with pace and trickery. Douglas Costa ticks the boxes
Id keep zlatan for another year but sell rooney. However is Zlatan does leave id sign someone like Bellotti. And sign Dembele/Coman for the right wing.

Fridge chutney

I'm happy with the progress Jose has made this year, despite being disappointed with results and performances from the past 6-8 gameweeks.

If I were to 'change' system, I'd ensure that we are quick in transition and not possession-oriented. Broadly speaking, good at counterattacks. This was effective for the past 2 champions of England. Not sure on formation.

Kag

It was a joke. Do lighten up son. You have to be able to take it if you are willing to dish it out ;)

It's not the moaning per say it's the myopic unconstructive manner which they are done in. I think that's the point. Hence this thread as a proposed remedy by @TheReligion .
Touché. I'm sure some of the moaning is unconstructive. But a hell of a lot of it isn't. I think our football has been largely shite since the new year and I've said as much more or less every week. I've explained why, too. The games we've played well in, notably Watford away, Chelsea at home and Celta away, I've gone and praised the performances thereafter.

There isn't some widespread opinion that Mourinho should be sacked, instead a growing worry that the negative tactics are a sign of things to come. They're already needless as it is, and now starting to cost us results. Now, I'm not a professional football manager, and the likes of Mourinho have forgot more about football than I'll ever know. However, were all entitled to an opinion, and sometimes, just sometimes, we may get it right.

Moyes was making glaring errors (that we all highlighted to varying degrees) and paid the price. Van Gaal couldn't get this team to play attractive, attacking football (which everybody highlighted) and paid the price. Mourinho's current brand of football is no better and, again, any continuation of both our form and football this calendar year will only lead to Mourinho paying a heavy price at some point next season. I don't think that will happen, and I think he'll get it right, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely underwhelmed by the quality of our football, the horrible lack of goals, the increasingly negative big-game performances and the ludicrous amount of draws we've amassed. Missing chances was a good excuse back in November, maybe even December, but right now we're creating naff all. Hence the supposed - yet perfectly normal - 'moaning' across the forum.

Fosu-Mens

Whenever someone makes one of these arguments I like to remind them that even someone like David Moyes has a lot more knowledge and experience in regards to Football than anyone here. So by that measure none of us should be able to question his decisions.
Is it possible to get a separate thread for this? Had it been any other manager, then yes.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Who cares whether redcafe.net is, at any given moment, "too negative" (as if such a term has any objective meaning). Personally, I find this kind of naval-gazing far more irritating than I find football fans having a bit of moan (which they've done since time immemorial and will always do as long as there is football to moan about).
At least when people have a moan they are talking about Football when people moan about moaners we are not really talking about Football.

AXVnee7

This!!!

I think we've had a good season, all things considered. If we don't make the UCL group stage next season I'll be disappointed but on the whole I'm still happy with the job Jose's done.
I haven't been here for very long, but I get the impression that people started moaning well before Fergie retired, after having read some of the senior members' posts. Perhaps someone could verify. Looks like it's a disease that has progressively manifested in the forum. Unfortunately, it's still a valid point of view and can't be class as wumming for the majority of cases. So we'll just have to endure it till things get better.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I haven't been here for very long, but I get the impression that people started moaning well before Fergie retired, after having read some of the senior members' posts. Perhaps someone could verify. Looks like it's a disease that has progressively manifested in the forum. Unfortunately, it's still a valid point of view and can't be class as wumming for the majority of cases. So we'll just have to endure it till things get better.
I've been reading the forum since about 2009, can confirm there were people moaning then who are still moaning now. Likewise there were threads every time we went through a rough patch questioning whether Fergie was past it, why we'd ever buy someone like Antonio Valencia, club lacking ambition, zombie football with no pace, need to play more like Dortmund/Bilbao/Barca etc.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There isn't some widespread opinion that Mourinho should be sacked, instead a growing worry that the negative tactics are a sign of things to come.
Yeah - something like that.

Or, perhaps, a worry that he won't get the sheer results right to the extent that the negative (call it what you will) tactics, and his overall presence as manager, won't be worth it.

I'm just waiting for next season, personally. He needs to get us back to properly challenging. Nobody but his fans cares about minor trophies. Manchester United aren't so far adrift that we need to win the feckin' League Cup to remind ourselves we're a club of some stature. And the Europa League is something we have to win because we've been shite, by reasonable standards, in the league.

Anyway, win the feckin' thing, get into the CL, buy somebody (presumably) necessary - look like something resembling a top club next season.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I would sell Rooney, Jones, Adnan, Darmian and retire or sell Carrick.

I would buy Tielemans, Lukaku, Griezmann, Berandini and, as it's Muppet season, Varane.

Play a back 4 of Valencia, Bailey, Varane, Shaw with Smalling, Rojo, Tunzabe, CBJ and Blind in reserve.

Mid 3 of Tielemans, Herrera and Pogba with Fellaini, Pereira and TFM in reserve.

Front 3 of Griezmann, Lukaku and Rashford with Martial, Mhiki, Berandini, Mata and Lingard in reserve.

At home I would play an inverted mid 3 with Herrera holding and Pogba and Tielemans pushing up, some times sacrificing one of these to give Miki or Mata a game if we needed more guile or Lingard or Berandini if we needed more pace.

Away from home I would play 2 holding midfielder and a traditional no10, either Pogba or more likely Tielemans. Again this could be rotated to allow for pace, for instance Griezmann could play no 10 behind Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.

But I hope Jose stays...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Actually, after @Raees suggested, I had a look at Jose's transfers at previous clubs, and he signed 10 players in the second year at Inter. So, it's not new to him.
Also have a look at the difference between side he put out against United in 2008/09 and the team in the semi final v Barca.

6 first team changes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Get the best DOF we can find. Commit to a style of football and stick to it. Invest in youth, and get a manager who's on board with that.

Nah feck it, just let Ed loose with another £200 mill.
That's exactly what is going to happen.
When the transfer window opens, Woodward will whip out his wallet and start dick-swinging. And it's going to be a huge dick which he will swing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Silly? This seems like the most logical thread for a football forum.
Haven't a clue what I would do but I would prefer players like Bailly that I don't know to big names that don't give a shit.
Agreed on both points.

Denis79

There's an awful lot of negativity on the Caf these days, the vast majority non constructive. I understand expectations aren't being delivered but this thread isn't about that. This is for you to say, realistically, what you'd do with your club.

Jose Mourinho leaves and you take over. For arguments sake we don't have CL football.

You have the current squad and resources at your disposal. I want to hear how you'd put things right and how long it would take?

Tactics, transfers, strategy, objectives..
What are people expecting in his first season? We won the League Cup and might win the Europa League on what fecking planet is that a bad season? So finishing 2nd in the League and winning nothing is better? Nobody remembers runner-ups

Mihai

Also have a look at the difference between side he put out against United in 2008/09 and the team in the semi final v Barca.

6 first team changes.
Crazy how a lot of them become fundamental part of that treble season.