Solskjær press conference vs Arsenal (H)

red4ever 79

Lack of goals
You can see how much we’ve improved defensively, that;’s where we put the big money in with Aaron and Harry, we don’t concede many chances, concede too many goals, the other way going forward is where we’ve struggled with injuries, Paul, Anthony, Marcus, we’ve had some bad luck in that respect, about building relationships, doesn’t help when you lose players, these boys need to get the pattern of play and if you’re half a second with your movement, sometimes finishing could be better, could be frustrating but that’s also down to some outstanding keepers out there.
Ah right is the damn keepers fault we dont score. Damn that Astana keeper for standing in one spot and blocking Rashford's 3 shots.

romufc

Well yes. We need him for Arsenal not Rochdale. Also he is desperate to have the likes of the Rochdale/Astana games to blood the kids and give backup players games. There is a chance we could go out against Chelsea, so does that makes the EL more important for player development? Is he going to forget that the PL is pretty important as well? We do not have the squad to go for everything, we should, but we don't. We can all speculate as to whose fault that is.
Not putting fault, but I was rather surprised Pogba played a full 90 mins. I would rather sacrifice the EFL cup and have players fit for the Prem games.

Bwuk

If Pogba wasn't fully fit it was beyond stupid him even playing against Rochdale.

It's f*cking Rochdale.

MrBest

Hoping Ole is learning and being vague about our players availability. I was concerned earlier in the season as he was so honest about players but keeping the opposition guessing who is ready is good mind games. I would not be totally surprised to see Martial and Pogba back on Monday.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Re: Pogba, he was obviously at a stage in the fitness process where they felt a match would be good for him.

He had an impact injury on his ankle and it’s set him back, it happens, you can’t wrap players in cotton wool.

Renegade

If Martial and Rashford are both out, I think it is quite clear that Greenwood needs to start.

Who else are we going to put up front? I can't even remember the last time Lingard scored for us.
Sometime last year against arsenal funnily enough I think.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Fan feelings?
Very, very positive and we can see what you’re doing keep going. It’s easier to be positive when you meet someone face to face, it’s easy to hide behind red cafe when you’re negative, so for me I’ve been amazed again by our supporters, to listen to the crowd at Old Trafford they’re amazing, they keep supporting us, and now is the time to do that. We are going through a leaner patch trophy wise and the results the last few games.
Both barrels loaded here.

StrettyEnder07

So we rush back Pogba and play him for 90 fecking minutes against Rochdale only for his ankle to balloon up and he is now doubtful for Arsenal, christ all fecking mighty!

PyroMan

Paul Pogba injured :rolleyes:

Who needs enemies when your star players are like these...

pacifictheme

Fair play to him for keeping positive.

Still, he isn’t convincing as a manager and I’m not sure he will get the time to prove otherwise.

The lack of goals is a huge concern, and while I trust in our new signings we are hardly solid at the back yet.

It’s a worrying time but again, fair play to him for staying positive - someone has to.
3 clean sheets this season, one against astana, onr against chelsea somehow. We've played no one good and still let in goals more often than not. Arsenal could tear us apart. That defense hasn't got much protection.

Lee565

I knew pogba playing against rochdale was going to backfire, I would have rather seen a rusty pogba against arsenal than seeing periera, fred or matic play instead.

This reminds me of Moyes, where Solskjear is bottling it in easy games playing pogba against rochdale and rashford against Astana, why? It was needless if your a supposed good coach.

UncleBob

I knew pogba playing against rochdale was going to backfire, I would have rather seen a rusty pogba against arsenal than seeing periera, fred or matic play instead.

This reminds me of Moyes, where Solskjear is bottling it in easy games playing pogba against rochdale and rashford against Astana, why? It was needless if your a supposed good coach.
Captain hindsight, eh ?

settembrini

Playing Pogba against Rochdale was fine. He needed minutes after being out and that should have been a good game to ease him back in. Turns out he got a knock and hurt his ankle. These things happen. It's bad luck not bad management.

Lee565

Captain hindsight, eh ?
No it just seemed dumb to risk pogba recovering from injury that kept him out of a match only 3 days prior for what should have been an easy win even without him, face it Solskjear bottled it and was trying to save his own ass and had to throw a strong team out there to make sure he didnt lose yet another match this time to rochdale which almost happened anyway, he could have used him as a sub for the last 20 minutes but nope now we have to probably see matic in midfield against arsenal now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What in the feck happened to Martial? From what I remember it didn't seem that bad but christ he's been out for a while.

We're so fecked in attack.
With Martial it is always the same pattern. "Slight injury, he will miss one or two games". And it always drags to month

Canagel

Ole is desperate and badly feeling the pressure. He know that this team is almost nothing without Pogba. Sad times when you have to rush him back and don't have confidence to navigate even a league cup match without him.

red4ever 79

Playing Pogba against Rochdale was fine. He needed minutes after being out and that should have been a good game to ease him back in. Turns out he got a knock and hurt his ankle. These things happen. It's bad luck not bad management.
Fully agree he needed games. By rights the team should have been easily 3 or 4 nil up against Rochdale at home and then you bring Pogba off after an hour say. It's just unfortunate that our team is shit and we end up having to play Pogba for 90mins so we can overcome the mighty Rochdale

Judas

Open to offers
Ole is desperate and badly feeling the pressure. He know that this team is almost nothing without Pogba. Sad times when you have to rush him back and don't have confidence to navigate even a league cup match without him.
Yep. Desperate move resulting in a desperate result. Last thing we need is rushing Pogba back and then him being on the shelf for longer, we're fecked without him, and hardly a unstoppable force with him, so all in all, shite.

AFC NimbleThumb

This guy is deluded.

Was a big proponent of giving OgS time but time to call it as it is. We are evolving yes but performances collectively & individually have not been good enough.

You don’t have to throw people under the bus Jose style to be honest.

This is going to be a long long season.

UncleBob

Yep. Desperate move resulting in a desperate result. Last thing we need is rushing Pogba back and then him being on the shelf for longer, we're fecked without him, and hardly a unstoppable force with him, so all in all, shite.
Was he rushed back ?

SirAF

Ageist
I don’t think the manager can be faulted for playing Pogba against Rochdal.

He was always going to be rusty after being out for so long, so it would have been better to shake that off before Arsenal. Could probably have done with less than 90 mins though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Fan feelings?
Very, very positive and we can see what you’re doing keep going. It’s easier to be positive when you meet someone face to face, it’s easy to hide behind social media when you’re negative, so for me I’ve been amazed again by our supporters, to listen to the crowd at Old Trafford they’re amazing, they keep supporting us, and now is the time to do that. We are going through a leaner patch trophy wise and the results the last few games.
As this thread more than proves.

Ah right is the damn keepers fault we dont score. Damn that Astana keeper for standing in one spot and blocking Rashford's 3 shots.
He clearly said "finishing could be better". What do you want him to say? ..... "Rashfords finishing was shit"?

JonDahl

So Pogba picks up an injury (I’m sure it was towards the end of the game when he had that effort in the area) due to a typical footballing coming together and people are saying he was rushed back?

There’s more than enough sticks to beat the manager with without saying completely stupid things.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So Pogba picks up an injury (I’m sure it was towards the end of the game when he had that effort in the area) due to a typical footballing coming together and people are saying he was rushed back?

There’s more than enough sticks to beat the manager with without saying completely stupid things.
In general, i would agree with you. But when you give full game to your best player against league one team 5 days before big game than it is just wrong move. In that game Pogba( or any important player coming from injury) should be playing but 30 minutes or one half at most. It was big feck up in management

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fan feelings?
Very, very positive and we can see what you’re doing keep going. It’s easier to be positive when you meet someone face to face, it’s easy to hide behind social media when you’re negative, so for me I’ve been amazed again by our supporters, to listen to the crowd at Old Trafford they’re amazing, they keep supporting us, and now is the time to do that. We are going through a leaner patch trophy wise and the results the last few games.
If he thinks that he'll be given time simply because the fans at OT are chanting his name then this guy is more deluded then he thinks. If he want to silence critics then he should bring on some positive result. His record as a permanent manager in the EPL is embarrassing to say the least. A less sentimental club would have kicked him out a long time ago.

AdNani

Those supporters will also support our next manager in the same way they did with him. Instead of attacking the fans he should focus on getting results. His record as a permanent manager is embarrassing to say the least. A less sentimental club would have kicked him out a long time ago.
Ole - ‘I’m amazed by the support from the fans’

Devilish - ‘instead of attacking the fans he should...’

Sir Scott McToMinay

Did he just actually say the team was improving and that the players were trying to impress against Astana and Rochdale?
What is he talking about?

That’s what happens when you don’t replace Lukaku and Sanchez.
We replaced Sanchez, with nobody, but I don’t see any difference.
Might as well play someone from the u16’s, there literally wouldn’t be any difference, might as well play Rojo on the wing.

UncleBob

No it just seemed dumb to risk pogba recovering from injury that kept him out of a match only 3 days prior for what should have been an easy win even without him, face it Solskjear bottled it and was trying to save his own ass and had to throw a strong team out there to make sure he didnt lose yet another match this time to rochdale which almost happened anyway, he could have used him as a sub for the last 20 minutes but nope now we have to probably see matic in midfield against arsenal now.
I've never understood why fans rarely understand that everything isn't always black and white. He had started full training with the first team but the West Ham match was too early, he was considered fit and we wanted to give him an outing to make sure he was ready for competitive football before the Arsenal match, which isn't exactly a stupid idea.

From the quotes from Ole it doesn't sound like he returned too early either: "The situation is he finished the game but he got a knock to his ankle which is very swollen,". Which could've happened if he played 1 minute, 2 minutes, 20 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the incident where a Rochdale player slid in to block his shot inside the box.

Enigma_87

You know who
Arsenal aren't all that at the moment. They are in transition and a very beatable side. We have good record against them and if we score first they might not come back.

red4ever 79

Like which other manager does?

Which other manager would say/has said "their finishing was awful. The result was their fault"?
Who cares. He was asked directly why do we struggle to score goals and his opening response is to talk about the defence
"You can see how much we’ve improved defensively, that;’s where we put the big money in with Aaron and Harry, we don’t concede many chances"

Counting the days down now until we get someone capable in