Southgate eyed for the United job - Telegraph

red thru&thru

I think there is a better chance of Southgate taking the United job than Poch coming. And I think that is why the England manager's name is being floated right now. I personally think United have a lot of work to do to persuade Poch that Old Trafford is the place for him.

Personally, I don't care. I would love it if Ole and Phelan were given the job. But I would not wait till the end of the season, because we need to start planning sooner rather than later for next season.
Your reason on thinking Poch wouldn’t come to United?

Bestietom

I think there is a better chance of Southgate taking the United job than Poch coming. And I think that is why the England manager's name is being floated right now. I personally think United have a lot of work to do to persuade Poch that Old Trafford is the place for him.

Personally, I don't care. I would love it if Ole and Phelan were given the job. But I would not wait till the end of the season, because we need to start planning sooner rather than later for next season.
I agree 100%, I hope they are given the job and I wish the planning would start right now.

MuFc_1992

There will be quite a few fans who would agree that a manager who has won nothing is good enough for United. None of the shortlisted managers that we know of have won anything. I, personally, think we have to be openminded. I like all the candidates. My preference would be Ole and Phelan, if they show in the next month or six weeks that they are able to cope with the challenge of tackling the better teams in Europe.
No, we should be as closed minded as possible and only look at candidates that check certain requirements such as plays attacking football, has worked recently in club football etc. We missed out big time on klopp and Pep and should go for someone who is closest to them at the current time and has gone toe to toe with top managers. Who is the best manager Southgate has outsmarted?

red thru&thru

No, we should be as closed minded as possible and only look at candidates that check certain requirements such as plays attacking football, has worked recently in club football etc. We missed out big time on klopp and Pep and should go for someone who is closest to them at the current time and has gone toe to toe with top managers. Who is the best manager Southgate has outsmarted?
Agree. Open minded? This is where it all went wrong in the first place. We need to target the best candidate and go for him. The candidate who matches our ethos! This notion that Poch wouldn’t come is ridiculous.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah I don't want Southgate, just because a manager is doing well for a national side doesn't mean they're suited to club football

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole was 10 times the player and is 10 times the manager

The guy has zero idea of tactics hence why anyone with a decent idea of tactics + some decent players to match outshone England during the WC

Nikelesh Reddy

Pointless speculation,nothing more than that...It’s obviously going to be difficult to get Pochettino,but I”m pretty sure that the board won’t even consider Southgate for the job..,

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Please let it be so.... I don’t get why he is being contacted if Poch is favourite, seems odd.
He hasn't been contacted. Just said he's been added to a list if we fail to get Pochettino. I just think this is due diligence and people are getting their knickers in a twist for nothing.

Adisa

The papers have no idea who we are looking at. These people didn't have a clue Mourinho was going to get sacked and all of a sudden, they are ITK?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He hasn't been contacted. Just said he's been added to a list if we fail to get Pochettino. I just think this is due diligence and people are getting their knickers in a twist for nothing.
Hold on he hasn’t been contacted but he said he has been added to a list? How does that work? I think he would be a disasterous appointment by the way.

Adisa

Hold on he hasn’t been contacted but he said he has been added to a list? How does that work? I think he would be a disasterous appointment by the way.
Yeah, you compile a list of ideal candidates. Doesn't mean you have spoken to them. I think there is zero chance of this happening.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If he isn't interested we can try to sign Croatia's manager.

red thru&thru

Possibility of the Real job coming up imminently. Loyalty to his Spurs project.
Real job maybe one possiblity. However, if he has any brains, he now knows to go no where near that club at the moment.

Loyalty to his Spurs project? He’s mentioned on a few occasions now that he needs to move to the next level. And by all accounts, Spurs aren’t going to allow him to reach the next level.

hobbers

Who was managing Columbia again? They managed to tie in normal time with Southgate's mighty England side.

Obviously their manager must be some kind of prodigy.

At this exact second the shortlist should be something like Poch > Zidane > Ole >>>>>>> Many options in between >>>>>>> Southgate

Kapardin

Fact is, the press have been either wrong or fed with bullshit many times by the club. Remember that Mourinho was not sacked when they claimed it would happen, while none of them even saw Mourinho's sacking coming when it actually did.

The timing of this seems like it's designed to take the chatter off Poch and Ole considering tonight's game, or the narrative would be "Battle of the Managerial Candidates" to no-one's benefit.

Secondly, I assume we have a shortlist and even if Southgate is on it, he would probably be the last resort in a worst case scenario.

rotherham_red

Why do people actually believe this story?
Can't speak for anyone else, but Sam Wallace is the author who it seems is Ed's go to as he had the exclusive on the inside story of Jose leaving and also Ole's appointment. As well as his fawning article on Woodward shortly after Jose got sacked.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's worth mentioning that national team managers do not work with players, they don't have time and during tournaments the focus is on rest. There is a reason why washed up managers and perennial losers are the ones managing national teams.

red thru&thru

Can't speak for anyone else, but Sam Wallace is the author who it seems is Ed's go to as he had the exclusive on the inside story of Jose leaving and also Ole's appointment. As well as his fawning article on Woodward shortly after Jose got sacked.
Yea, Wallace is decent. But like I mentioned in a previous post, the timing of this is all coincidental. We also know leaks are given to throw people off as well. He just has no real credibility to do our job, not amongst the people we are being linked with anyway!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, you compile a list of ideal candidates. Doesn't mean you have spoken to them. I think there is zero chance of this happening.
I’d say you will want who ever is to be given the job to be appointed in June if not before. Surely Woodward knows and is in discussion with the candidates? If not your running a massive risk.

Web of Bissaka

His England NT is so boring to watch, so not United... at all.

Youthful but boring team-playstyle.

If he does joining us, hopefully he'll adapt to the demands of United and the team will play good fun attacking football. :nervous:doubts

We need an rvn

Not sure whether it's a true story or not, but if it's true I don't think he would consider it. Yes, we're United etc etc but he's got a good contract with England, doing a very damn good job too with some very exciting young talent coming up. That in itself is a huge project and a good chance of getting England to finally win some silverware again. I'd stick with England if I were him

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not sure whether it's a true story or not, but if it's true I don't think he would consider it. Yes, we're United etc etc but he's got a good contract with England, doing a very damn good job too with some very exciting young talent coming up. That in itself is a huge project and a good chance of getting England to finally win some silverware again. I'd stick with England if I were him
Nah, International jobs are second tier these days compared to the top club jobs .For up and coming or managers with something to prove, or else a semi retirement gig.

But hopefully this is not true! Please!!

izec

Our board is stupid, but not that stupid. I am backing Ed to make one right managerial appointment once in his fecking career.

playtowin

Don't think it's at all unreasonable for Utd to be looking at Southgate and considering him.

You have the biggest club in the country, who are in the process of looking for a new manager. The current national team manager is doing very well, and ticking boxes that need to be ticked from a Utd manager, (Improving spirit, image, developing youth). Bonus if it's true that he is a Utd fan. Southgate had a good pedigree as a player and will be respected for that.

I don't expect he will be approached, far less appointed. But Utd are quite right to keep him in consideration. To not even have a look at what he offers would be almost a dereliction of duty.

SirAF

Ageist
Nah, International jobs are second tier these days compared to the top club jobs .For up and coming or managers with something to prove, or else a semi retirement gig.

But hopefully this is not true! Please!!
This.