Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Embarrassing to have had the potential to build a good side around arguably the best striker ever in the PL and done absolutely feck all with it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They deserve everything happening to them. They needed to invest and upgrade this team for 4/5 years but always went for the easy/cheap solution. In 6 months, they will be left with a stadium debt, no manager, no Kane and a past-it Son on big wages. They need a GK, 2 to 3 starting defenders and a better CM pair. They do have an aggresive pigeon though !

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They were and still are an F2 car, in this PL environment, to be fair: yet their driver went all-in and pushed the car beyond the engine limitations, therefore it is ending in smoke like in the glorious grand prix races from the ‘80s.

prateik

They deserve everything happening to them. They needed to invest and upgrade this team for 4/5 years but always went for the easy/cheap solution. In 6 months, they will be left with a stadium debt, no manager, no Kane and a past-it Son on big wages. They need a GK, 2 to 3 starting defenders and a better CM pair. They do have an aggresive pigeon though !
Have you heard about the cheese room?

bosniamanutd

dont know a shedule but i think they gonna sack Conte after match that precede clash with us

December_16

Levy would be smart to take a decent offer for Kane in the summer and reinvest, but good chance he won’t (for ego reason). Ah well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They need to rebuild a bit, and they'd be dumb to not cash in on Kane and Son while they still have the chance. Might be gone for Son. But with Kulusevski and Richarlison, they have a very good striker and RW at very good ages to build around. Christian Romero at CB too, and then Bissouma, Bentancur and Hojbjorg they are able to get a very good double pivot at the base of midfield for Poch. Get Pochettino back in where you know at this point he'll just stay long term, and go back to what they were doing before. Bin the older players, focus on younger players and buying and selling to keep improving.

I don't think they'd be that far off a feel good factor/high potential team again if they took the proper steps this summer, as they have a decent group still. But they need to cut the dross and accept they are in a rebuild, and get money for Kane and Son while they can (and give up on Conte as they'd do better with Poch).

Someone

Something
Arsenal overtook spurs once they started spending and backing Arteta. Spurs failed to back their managers properly every time they really needed to, and I don't think Levy is going to change.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal overtook spurs once they started spending and backing Arteta. Spurs failed to back their managers properly every time they really needed to, and I don't think Levy is going to change.
Since Arteta took over the two clubs have spent almost exactly the same amount in the transfer market. And Spurs started with the far better side in 2019.

NICanRed

Levy would be smart to take a decent offer for Kane in the summer and reinvest, but good chance he won’t (for ego reason). Ah well.
Remember the spending spree they went on with the money they got for Bale. They were spending like a drunken sailor! (No offence to sober sailors!) A couple of years later most of the new boys had been discarded.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
That was the most Spursy collapse I've seen. I genuinely told my mate that City would probably score an early second half goal and it would be all over in a quick blitz.

Btw, Lenglet was shambolic.

WirralRed

That was the most Spursy collapse I've seen. I genuinely told my mate that City would probably score an early second half goal and it would be all over in a quick blitz.

Btw, Lenglet was shambolic.
Don’t know if I’ve ever saw that Lenglet have a good game!

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
For all this talk of Conte not being backed. Perisic was his choice, and this signing has to be considered a disaster. For one, he is cramping Son for room and has stifled Spurs second best player. Only scored 3 goals this year and they were all in one match. As for Perisic defending, he got skinned three times today, missed a sitter and his performance has to be considered dreadful. He has been a total flop.

Spurs have finished in the top 4 multiples times in previous years. In a three year period they went 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and made a CL final. Yet Conte acts like he is doing a some great job to have Spurs 5th. He described last year finishing 4th as a 'miracle' when Spurs have finished in the top 4, 6 times in the past 11 seasons.

When will Spurs fans call him out instead of begging him to stay when he clearly doesnt want too.

Sack him

Flexdegea

Never get these posts.

It's like they don't know any thing about the topic, but have maybe seen a line somewhere so repeat the lie as a fact to why one team is flying and another team is not, when they've spent a lot of money themselves.

Just shows ya Conte talking waffle about transfers etc does the job

Ludens the Red

I thought Conte was a very good manager but his management this season has been abysmal. All his signings have been awful, his constant whinging about this and that and his sour face on the touchline. Most of all though this insistence on playing with no midfield. How many times do they have to get spanked in a big game before he changes it, it’s so weird. Think he goes at the end of the season.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Just shows ya Conte talking waffle about transfers etc does the job
Nah, at this stage he would just like to leave with having instructed a floor, in order to limit the damage to his own reputation. Arsenal are doing a once-in-a-generation season for real (the one Conte was dreaming for himself) and nobody would be too surprised if they revert to top 4 battle as soon as next year, that is the fantasy island Conte is waffling about these days to Levy.

Blood Mage

They're one of the slowest teams in the league, seriously lacking pace throughout their team. Just too easy to play against.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, at this stage he would just like to leave with having instructed a floor, in order to limit the damage to his own reputation. Arsenal are doing a once-in-a-generation season for real (the one Conte was dreaming for himself) and nobody would be too surprised if they revert to top 4 battle as soon as next year, that is the fantasy island Conte is waffling about these days to Levy.
Arsenal is seriously outperforming this season based on every metric you look. No one is surprised by the top 4 battle not only next year, but every year.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Very surprising news:

Stuck in no man's land for a few months, sacking him shouldn't cost too much if his contract is almost over but Levy will probably try to save a few pennies

iKnowNothing

Very surprising news:

Stuck in no man's land for a few months, sacking him shouldn't cost too much if his contract is almost over but Levy will probably try to save a few pennies
Tweet deleted.

I suppose this was the tweet where Di Marzio said Spurs weren’t renewing his contract in the summer.
Spurs would meltdown with Conte sulking till the end of the season.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Tweet deleted.

I suppose this was the tweet where Di Marzio said Spurs weren’t renewing his contract in the summer.
Spurs would meltdown with Conte sulking till the end of the season.
Yes it was. We're in for some great post-match interviews until the end of the season :angel:

Guy Incognito

If the rumours that Conte wants out are true, then it's hardly surprising.

He papered a lot of cracks last season with that top-four finish. The midfield remains average, defence ageing and GK in decline. Would he stomach a rebuild with Paratici in trouble, and the owner penny-pinching?

Spurs had their moment in the sun under Poch. The season Leicester won the league they played some good football, had the right mix of youth and experience and should've pushed on. They've needed to rebuild since 2018.

Mr. Robot

I fecking despise these Jose/Conte sulky type chequebook managers.

They demand loads of cash to spend on 29 year old players to play in their negative, boring football style and when it all goes tits up they complain and “want out” but won’t resign because they’re greedy cnuts.

These type of managers are a stain on the game.

Conte doesn’t give two shits about the Spuds. Jose never give two shits about Utd. But they will sulk, moan and cry because the club’s hierarchy aren’t letting them have their own way.

I’m so glad we don’t have the Jose/Conte type of manager anymore, Conte would depress the hell out of me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just announced Danjuma. So they signed our best player in the summer, barely start him and now they've signed a player we had 99% confirmed to probably...warm the bench too? :lol:

el3mel

I fecking despise these Jose/Conte sulky type chequebook managers.

They demand loads of cash to spend on 29 year old players to play in their negative, boring football style and when it all goes tits up they complain and “want out” but won’t resign because they’re greedy cnuts.

These type of managers are a stain on the game.

Conte doesn’t give two shits about the Spuds. Jose never give two shits about Utd. But they will sulk, moan and cry because the club’s hierarchy aren’t letting them have their own way.

I’m so glad we don’t have the Jose/Conte type of manager anymore, Conte would depress the hell out of me.
This is a very narrow sighted vision. No manager resigns from his jobs these days because it's a sign he's running away from responsibility, beside why should he not care about getting his payoff? It's a job for him. He's a professional. He wasn't born in London in a Spurs supporting family. Manager not caring about the future of the club after he leaves isn't really a shocking reveal.

EtH

Just announced Danjuma. So they signed our best player in the summer, barely start him and now they've signed a player we had 99% confirmed to probably...warm the bench too? :lol:
Preparing for Kane’s inevitable move to Old Trafford this summer. :drool:

Mr. Robot

This is a very narrow sighted vision. No manager resigns from his jobs these days because it's a sign he's running away from responsibility, beside why should he not care about getting his payoff? It's a job for him. He's a professional. He wasn't born in London in a Spurs supporting family. Manager not caring about the future of the club after he leaves isn't really a shocking reveal.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, there's a difference between behaving like you want to be at a football club, and constantly throwing your toys out of the pram because you haven't got more players to buy.

Conte, Mourinho etc have got previous. They're journeymen managers out for themselves and their own reputation. Do you think Conte needs the payoff? Of course he doesn't, he's a multi millionaire.

The guy is a cretin. I just don't like him at all and again, glad we have a professional in charge of Utd and not a stroppy hairpiece who won't commit to the club because he's waiting for a better gig to come along.

Pintu

Spurs have finished in the top 4 multiples times in previous years. In a three year period they went 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and made a CL final. Yet Conte acts like he is doing a some great job to have Spurs 5th. He described last year finishing 4th as a 'miracle' when Spurs have finished in the top 4, 6 times in the past 11 seasons.

When will Spurs fans call him out instead of begging him to stay when he clearly doesnt want too.

Sack him
Most of those were accomplished by Poch with top players in many positions… Their last 2 finishes before Conte were 6th and 7th (behind West Ham and Leicester).

Beating us and specially Arsenal (free from Europe all season) with a manager that have been there for a while, to that fourth spot last year was a great achievement. Nobody expected that.

When Conte took over they were f**g 9th… And the data science predicted Conte would take them up to 7th with 58 points… They ended up 4th on 71 points. He has many flaws but underachieving in the leagues is not one of them. And it’s never been…

el3mel

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, there's a difference between behaving like you want to be at a football club, and constantly throwing your toys out of the pram because you haven't got more players to buy.

Conte, Mourinho etc have got previous. They're journeymen managers out for themselves and their own reputation. Do you think Conte needs the payoff? Of course he doesn't, he's a multi millionaire.

The guy is a cretin. I just don't like him at all and again, glad we have a professional in charge of Utd and not a stroppy hairpiece who won't commit to the club because he's waiting for a better gig to come along.
He needs the payoff indeed, because that's his job and that's his source of income. Just because you have a lot of it doesn't mean you should stop thinking of adding more to it. If you or me or anyone else were in his position, we'll do exactly the same. And as I said, resigning just gives the impression of running away from your responsibility or thinking you're too bad to fix things. Bad reputation. Which manager resigns these days ?

Managers aren't supposed to care about their clubs more than themselves. Sure if you get a club man like Arteta for example or someone who developed into the role like Klopp they'll care about the club as much as themselves but ultimately the majority of managers care about their success and care fare more than what their clubs will do once they left, just like their clubs don't care what these managers will do once they have left. It's business..work! That's about it. You shouldn't get that much romantic when it comes to working.

romufc

Most of those were accomplished by Poch with top players in many positions… Their last 2 finishes before Conte were 6th and 7th (behind West Ham and Leicester).

Beating us and specially Arsenal (free from Europe all season) with a manager that have been there for a while, to that fourth spot last year was a great achievement. Nobody expected that.

When Conte took over they were f**g 9th… And the data science predicted Conte would take them up to 7th with 58 points… They ended up 4th on 71 points. He has many flaws but underachieving in the leagues is not one of them. And it’s never been…
I actually find people defending Conte really funny.

Beating us to 4th was no major achievement last year, we literally stopped trying in January. Arsenal also bottled it, its not because Spurs did anything great.

Also, Conte has been backed more than any other Spurs manager and has not improved the team, he is massively underachieving.

Pintu

I actually find people defending Conte really funny.
He took a team that was 6th and 7th the 2 previous seasons, a team that was 9th at the moment, that had just been schooled by our squad under Olé.. He took that team to 4th on 71 points (Arsenal were similar when Arteta got the job and he failed to make the CL in his first 3 years. Conte did it in his first 6 months)…. And somehow he is massively underachieving.

I guess he should have won them the title for you not to trash him… But that’s reasonable. He’s done it before. He won Juventus a title after 2 straight 7th place finishes. And he did it with Chelsea after a 10th place finish.

romufc

He took a team that was 6th and 7th the 2 previous seasons, a team that was 9th at the moment, that had just been schooled by our squad under Olé.. He took that team to 4th on 71 points (Arsenal were similar when Arteta got the job and he failed to make the CL in his first 3 years. Conte did it in his first 6 months)…. And somehow he is massively underachieving.

I guess he should have won them the title for you not to trash him… But that’s reasonable. He’s done it before. He won Juventus a title after 2 straight 7th place finishes. And he did it with Chelsea after a 10th place finish.
Right he won the title with Juve 10 years ago so he is a good manager now. Jose won loads of titles in the past, does that still make him a top manager now?

People failing to put context is a good thing anyway. That Chelsea team won the title the season before that, or is it because that doesn't suit your narrative?

Ole finished in top 4 twice, more than any other manager since Fergie, is he a great manager then?

Pintu

Right he won the title with Juve 10 years ago so he is a good manager now. Jose won loads of titles in the past, does that still make him a top manager now?

People failing to put context is a good thing anyway. That Chelsea team won the title the season before that, or is it because that doesn't suit your narrative?
Chelsea won the title in 2015 when it was easier to win (as proved by Ranieri the year after that) and Chelsea back then was a much better team as they still had a good enough defense and midfield with J.Terry, Ivanovic, and a great Fabregas etc... As these players declined they finished tenth the year after that...

There is a substantial difference between that side and the one Conte had to use to win it (He had to make a great use of f***g Moses and Alonso).... Conte's last title wasn't 10 years ago. He won the title with Inter within 2 season (was very close behind the first year). An Inter side that had been rubish for years...

You are the one failing to see context. He comes in to a Tottenham side that finished 6 th in 19/20, finsihed 7th in 20/21... Was 9th when he is appointed (see the trend here) with no preaseason and he is projected to make them 7 th.... And you somehow call it an underachievement to reach CL football in that context...

Last year when hewas appointed...
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-table-predicted-conte-25361313
Predicted Premier League table via (Sporting Index)
4th Man Utd points - 69
5th Arsenal points - 62
6th West Ham points - 60
7th Tottenham points - 58
But according to you taking that Spurs side to 13 points more than Data science projections is a massive underachievement. You are the one ignoring context.

Ole finished in top 4 twice, more than any other manager since Fergie, is he a great manager then?
I do not like Olé the manager, but he is certainly better than we give him credit for (Some are comparing him to f** Lampard and)... He is the only one to have managed us long enough. But his ppg ( both times) wasn't that impressive. His best total was 74 points, and he tarnished that season by going out of the group stage of the CL... He did that losing to f****g Istanbul... When Mourinho got a second place finish, he did it with 81 points and he won his CL group, so I'm still taking Mourinho as our best manager among the post Fergie bunch. Hopefully ETH is settling this meaningless debate by the end of this season...