Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Hux is an online alt-right knob head, idolising the past fascists but essentially actually a laughable and cowardly individual.

Bobski

Yeah, that's very true...Tarkin's a cold and commanding figure and that works well...but then we'd equally probably be complaining if Hux was just a direct rehash of Tarkin considering the similarities Snoke/Ren already have/had to the Emperor and Vader. And I'm admittedly not a big fan of Hux's character cause he's very, very one-note, but I don't think a sort of bumbling key villain like him is necessarily a bad thing when done right, especially when there's an emphasis that for all his bluster he's pretty much powerless when faced with Snoke and/or Ren, in spite of his own grand illusions.
How did you feel about the character of Krennic in Rogue One? I quite liked him, highly ambitious, competent but blinded by his own arrogance.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How did you feel about the character of Krennic in Rogue One? I quite liked him, highly ambitious, competent but blinded by his own arrogance.
Yeah I thought he was well done. We're used to seeing the main villain always as one of the figures at the top of the wrung so it was kinda nice to see the main villainous focus being someone lower down relatively speaking, even if he was still important.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Hux is an online alt-right knob head, idolising the past fascists but essentially actually a laughable and cowardly individual.
That's a good summation actually.:lol:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just saw this last night and both me & the missus left the theater underwhelmed. I found it difficult to care about the characters and their fate.
Could have been cos we were both a bit tired going in, or that the series has run it’s course for us (we grew up on the original trilogy).

John_Jensen

Just saw this last night and both me & the missus left the theater underwhelmed. I found it difficult to care about the characters and their fate.
Could have been cos we were both a bit tired going in, or that the series has run it’s course for us (we grew up on the original trilogy).

It's because it's a shit film.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A mate of mine had the same reaction after he watched it when a bit tired... he said he enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing (though still had some problems with it).

Parma Dewol

For those of you who enjoyed the latest Episodes, which would you say you liked most, TFA or TLJ, and where would they rank in your list of favourite Star Wars Episodes? I really got into TLJ on the second viewing, and may like it even more when I see it again, but at the mo I think I still enjoyed TFA more. The mystery surrounding that movie was brilliant and I preferred the overall tone.

If I had to try and put my favourite Star Wars Episodes in order, it would be something like:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For those of you who enjoyed the latest Episodes, which would you say you liked most, TFA or TLJ, and where would they rank in your list of favourite Star Wars Episodes? I really got into TLJ on the second viewing, and may like it even more when I see it again, but at the mo I think I still enjoyed TFA more. The mystery surrounding that movie was brilliant and I preferred the overall tone.

If I had to try and put my favourite Star Wars Episodes in order, it would be something like:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
Difficult to rank them. I’m still not entirely sure how I would rank the original trilogy. Top five would definitely be a mix of them and the most recent two though. Prequels are best consigned to the dustbin of history. Just terrible movies, all three of them.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
I'd put Jedi above TFA, as even though I love TFA, it is still something of a retread... I give Jedi some bonus points for being new/different.

So:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith & Attack of the Clones

Pogue Mahone

I'd put Jedi above TFA, as even though I love TFA, it is still something of a retread... I give Jedi some bonus points for being new/different.

So:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith & Attack of the Clones
That ranking works for me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
ESB > ANH > TLJ > ROTJ > TFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ROTS >> AOTC > TPM

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The sequels are not that far from the prequels. I'd put TLJ at about the same level as ROTS. TFA is marginally better. The other prequels are marginally worse.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Revenge of the Sith below the Phantom Menace? No chance. Even with sand in the vagina and 'noooooooooooo' it's a billion times better than midichlorians and pod racing ffs. The Darth Maul duel was the only decent part of that film.
That and the music are a million times better then anything in ROTS... hence why it would be above it.

ROTS is an absolutely rubbish film. The story is shite, the action scenes are uninspired (the action scenes in AotC are even more inspired then the tumescent nonsense in ROTS), characters act in completely stupid ways, key moments are either laughable or absolutely crap... yeah, its just rubbish.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
That and the music are a million times better then anything in ROTS... hence why it would be above it.

ROTS is an absolutely rubbish film. The story is shite, the action scenes are uninspired (the action scenes in AotC are even more inspired then the tumescent nonsense in ROTS), characters act in completely stupid ways, key moments are either laughable or absolutely crap... yeah, its just rubbish.
Meh, I never give a shit about the music. If I want music then I'll listen to music, but I can't enjoy a shite film just because there's good music in the background. Great music can compliment a great film, but it can't save a terrible one. The duel at the end of RotS was better than the Maul duel which was the only good thing about TPM.

I think RotS was a decent film, tarred by a couple of shite scenes admittedly. There's no way it's worse than Gungans, Jar Jar, midichlorians and pod racing. That literally ruined the franchise.

kps88

I've started to warm to ROTJ lately. The Jabba Palace stuff and final duel are perfectly done.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I've started to warm to ROTJ lately. The Jabba Palace stuff and final duel are perfectly done.
I hate the final duel - with a passion.

They fight across a lava planet jumping on random objects (and crucially at different heights throughout) and it just makes the whole thing a bit difficult to follow. There's no sense of battle, of who has the upper-hand, there's no story to it at all... it's just two blokes fighting across cool scenery, with the scenery actually taking as much shine as the two main protagonists of the movie.

I mean, this is Obi Wan vs. Annakin... it should be a battle so strong and so anticipated, they could do it in an empty room and the story should still be captivating... with emotion/drama etc.

Instead we get this weird fight, that ends when someone is standing a top of a small hill... despite the fact that we've constantly seen Jedi fight each other at different heights throughout the film(s). It's not seeded, it's completely random and its a naff way to end a naff fight.

... If you can't tell already, I really hate RoTS

kps88

They fight across a lava planet jumping on random objects (and crucially at different heights throughout) and it just makes the whole thing a bit difficult to follow. There's no sense of battle, of who has the upper-hand, there's no story to it at all... it's just two blokes fighting across cool scenery, with the scenery actually taking as much shine as the two main protagonists of the movie.

I mean, this is Obi Wan vs. Annakin... it should be a battle so strong and so anticipated, they could do it in an empty room and the story should still be captivating... with emotion/drama etc.

Instead we get this weird fight, that ends when someone is standing a top of a small hill... despite the fact that we've constantly seen Jedi fight each other at different heights throughout the film(s). It's not seeded, it's completely random and its a naff way to end a naff fight.

Was talking about ROTJ...

Pogue Mahone

Yeah. It’s shite. The whole movie and that preposterous fecking fight scene. It was like watching a naff platforming computer game.

The best fight in all the prequels was the Darth Maul one. By a margin. Arguably the best in any Star Wars movie. The whole double ended lightsaber thing was cool as feck. Plus the bit where the two of them couldn’t get at each other, half way through the scrap. That fight was the main reason I didn’t hate The Phantom Menace as much as the other two prequels.

Zarlak

Yeah. It’s shite. The whole movie and that preposterous fecking fight scene. It was like watching a naff platforming computer game.

The best fight in all the prequels was the Darth Maul one. By a margin. Arguably the best in any Star Wars movie. The whole double ended lightsaber thing was cool as feck. Plus the bit where the two of them couldn’t get at each other, half way through the scrap. That fight was the main reason I didn’t hate The Phantom Menace as much as the other two prequels.
Was it? I mean it was the best part of the movie, but it was still objectively boring. At least in the RotS one you could see the anguish on Obi Wans face, they had their moments expressing their frustration/disappointment and exasperation and it was at least charged and dramatic if anything. In TPM they literally had an entire duel in complete silence walking backwards for a while whilst sitting down and meditating in between until one of them died. If you ignore personal tastes, whether someone liked it or not and remove all of that bias, you can at least strip it down to the elements involved.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Was it? I mean it was the best part of the movie, but it was still objectively boring. At least in the RotS one you could see the anguish on Obi Wans face, they had their moments expressing their frustration/disappointment and exasperation and it was at least charged and dramatic if anything. In TPM they literally had an entire duel in complete silence walking backwards for a while whilst sitting down and meditating in between until one of them died.
Yeah, it was great. Far superior. The fact it was wordless made it cooler. Like two samurai going at it.

Hammy acting midway through a fight is rarely an improvement. And mario style jumping between platforms is so fecking stupid you’d need Daniel Day Lewis oscar-worthy acting heroics to even get that scene up to mediocre.

Zarlak

Yeah, it was great. Far superior. The fact it was wordless made it cooler. Like two samurai going at it.

Hammy acting midway through a fight is rarely an improvement. And mario style jumping between platforms is so fecking stupid you’d need Daniel Day Lewis oscar-worthy acting heroics to even get that scene up to mediocre.
Fair enough, agree to disagree I guess. In my opinion an attempt at acting even if shoddy is better than no acting and just nothing much happening at all in complete silence. The desert scene where Maul comes out of nowhere to battle was actually more gripping than the final duel come to think about it. It came out of nowhere as a surprise, there were stakes at play etc.

Member 39557

Was it? I mean it was the best part of the movie, but it was still objectively boring. At least in the RotS one you could see the anguish on Obi Wans face, they had their moments expressing their frustration/disappointment and exasperation and it was at least charged and dramatic if anything. In TPM they literally had an entire duel in complete silence walking backwards for a while whilst sitting down and meditating in between until one of them died. If you ignore personal tastes, whether someone liked it or not and remove all of that bias, you can at least strip it down to the elements involved.
With the script?

I never got the love for ROTS, the stupid vader scream at the end, the naff fight whizzing along a lava river and the "higher ground" speech. It wasn't very good at all really.
For all its faults, I preferred Phantom Menace too, and I despise Jar Jar and rolled my eyes at the bungling coincedences that lead to the Gungans and Anakin winning certain battles.

The Duel of the fates theme playing along with the scenes leading up to and including the final battle in phantom menace was the highlight of the prequels for me. They were all bad films though, and the bad cgi makes them look worse than the original trilogy in certain places.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Im amazed that ppl have ROTS so low in their rankings. To me its one of the best films of the whole saga! They did a marvelous work in how anakin turned mad and the last battle and dialogue of anakin and obi wan was epic!

You guys have no soul

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Yeah it's really bad. There's certain points of the fight where they zoom out and all you can really see is two vague figures waving obviously CGI sticks at each other in what's obviously CGI scenery. The whole 'planet made of lava' thing should've been cool but watch it back and the CGI effects have dated to the point where (again) the whole scene is rendered ridiculous and silly. And that's without talking about the dialogue. Or all the other problems with the film.

TPM is bad, but in a way I think its badness gets overstated to an extent. I don't like Jar-Jar Binks but think he's more pointless than annoying. As a movie that about sums it up...in the wider context of Star Wars it's unneeded and unnecessary, something that just sort of sits there pointlessly. The plot is extraordinarily dull and the focus of the movie dies off and is basically mentioned like twice afterwards, but as a movie itself it's probably not as bad as ROTS when you consider that ROTS was the one wrapping up the entire point of the prequel trilogy by telling us the downfall of Anakin. In telling that story I'd say it failed.

Although the one scene that does work for me is after the fight itself, with Obi-Wan's speech to Anakin as he burns. Some actual emotions on show and McGregor's a solid actor in spite of what he's given.

Ubik

Empire
A New Hope
TLJ
TFA
ROTJ
Rogue One
Prequels

Im amazed that ppl have ROTS so low in their rankings. To me its one of the best films of the whole saga! They did a marvelous work in how anakin turned mad and the last battle and dialogue of anakin and obi wan was epic!

You guys have no soul
I just don't think his turn is done well at all. It makes him look like a 14 year old.

To me, his fall should've been fully focused on his thought that the Jedi let his mother remain in slavery, resulting in her death. That gave him a genuine grievance against them and would've been a more believable cause, plus would've rhymed well with the end of Return of the Jedi. Instead we just get him slaughtering the sand people and whining to Padme about stopping people from dying.

Zarlak

With the script?

I never got the love for ROTS, the stupid vader scream at the end, the naff fight whizzing along a lava river and the "higher ground" speech. It wasn't very good at all really.
For all its faults, I preferred Phantom Menace too, and I despise Jar Jar and rolled my eyes at the bungling coincedences that lead to the Gungans and Anakin winning certain battles.

The Duel of the fates theme playing along with the scenes leading up to and including the final battle in phantom menace was the highlight of the prequels for me. They were all bad films though, and the bad cgi makes them look worse than the original trilogy in certain places.
Fair enough, I think the fight in the lava planet was good, and much better than TPM where they literally just walked backwards for a bit in total silence until Qui Gon died. You could see anger, frustration, danger with the lava and the collapsing tower etc, both of them stalemating each other with their force, the pain in Obi Wan's voice at the end with the 'you were like a brother to me' etc. Now you can make a case for each of those elements being poorly acted, heavy CGI etc etc but at least they tried to put those elements in to the scene. In the duel with TPM literally nothing happened, they just walked backwards for a while until Qui Gon died. There was nothing really leading up to that moment for it to resolve anything, we had no reason to care about Qui Gon as a character, the fight was completely calm, no emotion at all you can just sit there watching it not feeling any tension or danger and then it just ends.

Like you said, they're all shit but I guess just personal preference on those two. My order would be:

Empire
TFA
Rogue One
TLJ
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
AoC/TPM

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we're criticising ROTS then the absolutely ridiculous fight between Yoda and the emperor deserves special attention. Just awful.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Phantom Menance frustrated me.
Attack of the Clones bored me. At least the bit when the clones attacked was new, making the Jedi look like complete muppets not cool.
ROTS I absolutely cannot stand, it's a steaming pile of dross. feck that film.

I'd agree with AN's rating tbh. Although i'd be putting Rogue One third. Watched it again recently and it really is better than TFA and TLJ imo.

Ubik

If we're criticising ROTS then the absolutely ridiculous fight between Yoda and the emperor deserves special attention. Just awful.
God yes, I think it's supposed to look epic but actually looks like a cutscene from a game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Remember, this is an actual serious scene in an actual serious bit of the movie.
Christ I had forgotten that one.:lol:

Might need to go back and watch them cause there's probably a ton of terrible stuff I've forgotten.

AOTC is still the worst one though I reckon. Anakin manages to successfully get with Natalie Portman, even though in his time with her stares at her creepily after she asks him to stop, watches her sleeping, makes some really shit jokes, actively endorses fascism and probably uses mind tricks on her.