Empire
New Hope
RotJ
Last Jedi
TFA
Phantom Menace
RotS
AotC

Phantom Menace was a terrible movie with a cool ending fight and great music. RotS had the easiest open goal in history - badass Vader is born after splitting with Obi-Wan, and messed that up with an overlong fight and terrible terrible lines. AotC was a nothing movie. Nothing memorable happened, except descriptions of coarse sand.

Obviously Empire in top. RotJ > Last Jedi for the 3-location climax, especially Luke/Vader/Emperor which is the core scene of Star Wars. Last Jedi > TFA for new ideas. TFA demoted for copying the original one.

caid

ROTS might just be the worst one of the prequel trilogy.
Attack of the Clones is definitely worse,
it has the worst acting and dialogue by a distance and is really, really boring.
Only Star Wars movie I cant sit through anymore, just start reading my phone, or being distracted by anything whatsoever about 20 mins in.

Ewan McGregor's scenes are passable. Everything else is a cringefest

Empire
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
---

Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

for me
not much between Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith for me, neither are good movies.
I was just a bit bored of Star Wars when Rogue One came out, I should watch it again, I'd probably enjoy it more.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I can't understand why they aren't writing that Obi-Wan spinoff. It's the one character everyone likes and is worth having a film about. And McGregor isn't getting younger.

I'm not excited about the Han thing, at all.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not going to watch it in theaters for sure, unless there are uniform positive reviews. It's the stupidest concept. I wish they'd move away from that era/characters.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I can't understand why they aren't writing that Obi-Wan spinoff. It's the one character everyone likes and is worth having a film about. And McGregor isn't getting younger.

Apparently filming etc was terrible and they basically had to redo the film after realising they'd gotten Han so wrong. Donald Glover as Lando should be good fun, but I don't really know where you go with Han Solo's character considering the point is all his development comes within the main trilogy.

Bobski

TESB
ANH-ROTJ

Rogue One

TFA
ROTS
TLJ

TPM

AOTC

Prequels were an awful disappointment, the hype was incredible, the casting seemed to be perfect, but they are ruined by poor writing and an overuse of CGI. Have not watched any of them in well over a decade so they might even be worse than I remember.

TFA and TLJ do nothing for me on an emotional level.

beedoubleyou

Attack of the Clones is definitely worse,
it has the worst acting and dialogue by a distance and is really, really boring.
Only Star Wars movie I cant sit through anymore, just start reading my phone, or being distracted by anything whatsoever about 20 mins in.

Ewan McGregor's scenes are passable. Everything else is a cringefest

Empire
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
---

Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

for me
not much between Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith for me, neither are good movies.
I was just a bit bored of Star Wars when Rogue One came out, I should watch it again, I'd probably enjoy it more.
I'm with you 99%. There needs to be a bigger gap between TPM and AOTC. The droid factory and C3PO as a battle droid. Urgh. I rewatched all three recently, they are no good.

Revan

Assumptionman
Meh, I never give a shit about the music. If I want music then I'll listen to music, but I can't enjoy a shite film just because there's good music in the background. Great music can compliment a great film, but it can't save a terrible one. The duel at the end of RotS was better than the Maul duel which was the only good thing about TPM.

I think RotS was a decent film, tarred by a couple of shite scenes admittedly. There's no way it's worse than Gungans, Jar Jar, midichlorians and pod racing. That literally ruined the franchise.
If Revenge of the Sith somehow was considered as part of the original trilogy (or sequels for that matter), and wouldn't have been associated with the other two prequels, I genuinely think that it would have been unanimously rated as the third best movie in the saga.

In reality, it was rated very highly when it was released, and outside of this forum still has good rating (although, the rating has suffered during the years because screw prequels). It makes an interesting case study.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It wasn't really rated highly - it was rated as somewhat okay for a Star Wars action movie and as being better than the other two, mainly because it actually had something resembling a plot. When you actually start to look at it properly though it's a mess - dodgy CGI nonsense, Anakin turning from hero to child murderer in ten minutes, Padme crying the whole movie and then dying because she's sad, and a ton of horrendously written dialogue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I thought RotS was worse than Phantom Menace since I actually had expectations for the movie where Vader comes alive, but it was a CGI fest with horrible dialogue including Nooooooooo. What a letdown.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Agree very much with the above. It was probably the biggest disappointment of them all for me. And watch on its own as a film and it is simply shite. Some parts of Phantom Menace were quite cool despite it being spoilt horribly by the other parts. Attack of the Clones was boring for the most part but at least it seemed like it was building up to something. Revenge of the Sith filled in some gaps but did it really badly IMO.

arthurka

Im amazed that ppl have ROTS so low in their rankings. To me its one of the best films of the whole saga! They did a marvelous work in how anakin turned mad and the last battle and dialogue of anakin and obi wan was epic!

You guys have no soul
Anything Anakin was ruined by HC acting (or lack there of).. The worst movie is by far the fecking Clone Wars (not bothered writing Aotc)..

Minimalist

I have to say I did something I shouldn't have done and actually (out of boredom) watched Ben Shapiro's review for this movie recently.

My god, that man does not have a fecking clue. He barely remembers details of the previous films and just throws random stuff out like his criticism makes perfect sense.

One example when realised I just had to switch it off: apparently it's problematic that Finn and Rose freed the 'racing' animals who were being abused ("that's how we know they're the good guys, they care about animals") - I swear that's the level of his bizarre criticism. Then he tries to compare it to the original trilogy, using an example that isn't even comparable: Han Solo slices open an animal to stuff Luke inside to keep warm - which is such amazing somersaulting logic as a comparison (for those who don't remember the animal had passed out or was probably dead already when Han does this).

The guy is a fecking neckbeard moron.

---

Aside from that, I've watched some scenes again and one thing I've been reminded of is that I'm still pretty sure the Skywalker/Ren showdown is one of the best moments in the whole franchise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought RotS was worse than Phantom Menace since I actually had expectations for the movie where Vader comes alive, but it was a CGI fest with horrible dialogue including Nooooooooo. What a letdown.
That was then inserted into ROTJ, wasn't it? As was ROTS Anakin. Feel like ROTS deserves bonus hate points for actively infecting other films.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's completely insidious (no pun intended), and used for the dumbest of things. Like changing Vader's arms on the pivoting table thing to be down at his side rather than up. And just generally useless tinkering in post, like morphing two different shots of Anakin during Palpatine's blathering during the opera.

Simbo

Also in the PM>ROTS crowd, thought I was the only one! Purely on the Darth Maul fight alone. It has one very good scene vs feck all in the other films.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good interview with Rian Johnson on the Empire Podcast (The Last Jedi Spolier Special)

One point I liked was him discussing the parallels between Rey learning her parentage and when Luke learned his in Empire - in that they were both the worst thing that either of them could have heard about who their parents were.

beedoubleyou

Also in the PM>ROTS crowd, thought I was the only one! Purely on the Darth Maul fight alone. It has one very good scene vs feck all in the other films.
I thought there were a few decent moments in ROTS. The opening is good but quickly falls apart with the confusing and unnecessary presence of General Grievous, some truly bizarre CGI and a barrage of dialogue which makes you ears squirm.

It is good to finally see the camaraderie with Obi Wan and Anakin as they rarely seem to like each other, even if their banter is usually a reference to a fun adventure that we never actually see.

There's a little less sitting around and talking and feels like it's moving along quicker than the other two. That said, the fall of Anakin is daft, the lightsabre fight is long, boring and ridiculous and, despite being 'years in the making', creates needless plot-holes and inconsistencies between itself and the original trilogy.

It feels a bit better because some things happen. Why they happen doesn't seem well thought out and where it happens is such strangely lifeless and weightless universe. But y'know, there's an iguana chasing a robot, that's a thing that happened I guess.

starman

Finally got around to watching. I am not a massive Star Wars fan, not even sure i have seen all of them...

I watched Force Awakens and thought it was ok, just a repackaged new hope, watched Rogue one and enjoyed it, even if it had a lot of 'eh', moments. Watched Force Awakens again around christmas and enjoyed it much more the second time around.

Anyway getting around to the last jedi, i have a lot of mixed feelings about it, I like the ambition of it, but its portrayal of luke was hard viewing.

I had planned to watch it one more time before it leaves cinemas, but my thoughts straight after were of disappointed and would not bother and probably only re-watch when avaiable on a streaming service....however my initial impression have slightly improved 24 hours later and am thinking of watching it in 4DX, has anyone watched it in it, is it worth it?

Last edited:

Dan

Anyone seen Rian Johnson’s tweets today?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Fair enough, I think the fight in the lava planet was good, and much better than TPM where they literally just walked backwards for a bit in total silence until Qui Gon died. You could see anger, frustration, danger with the lava and the collapsing tower etc, both of them stalemating each other with their force, the pain in Obi Wan's voice at the end with the 'you were like a brother to me' etc. Now you can make a case for each of those elements being poorly acted, heavy CGI etc etc but at least they tried to put those elements in to the scene. In the duel with TPM literally nothing happened, they just walked backwards for a while until Qui Gon died. There was nothing really leading up to that moment for it to resolve anything, we had no reason to care about Qui Gon as a character, the fight was completely calm, no emotion at all you can just sit there watching it not feeling any tension or danger and then it just ends.

Like you said, they're all shit but I guess just personal preference on those two. My order would be:

Empire
TFA
Rogue One
TLJ
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
AoC/TPM
For me:
Empire
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
TLJ
ROTS
AOC
TPM
R1

That's as star wars films, as individual films I'd move TLJ and R1 above TFA.

Reiver

Good interview with Rian Johnson on the Empire Podcast (The Last Jedi Spolier Special)

One point I liked was him discussing the parallels between Rey learning her parentage and when Luke learned his in Empire - in that they were both the worst thing that either of them could have heard about who their parents were.
He's certainly got some explaining to do in the commentary for the film when it's released on Blu-ray.

kps88

Have you seen the film? I'm joking. Despite my opinion on the film, I'm still interested to hear his thoughts on it.
He has done a couple of podcasts discussing his thoughts in depth - Slash Film and Empire Movie Podcast.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
For me:
Empire
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
TLJ
ROTS
AOC
TPM
R1

That's as star wars films, as individual films I'd move TLJ and R1 above TFA.
Empire
The Last Jedi
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi/The Force Awakens
Rogue One/Revenge of the Sith

And that’s all the films there are.

Sigma

hd version or one of those shit camera ones?
Wasn't filmed in the cinema or anything. Properly mounted and stable, although the quality wasn't HD, but not awful - which may have been a reason I didn't like it as much I hoped to.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't filmed in the cinema or anything. Properly mounted and stable, although the quality wasn't HD, but not awful - which may have been a reason I didn't like it as much I hoped to.
I remember thinking it was great when I came out of the cinema. Not sure i'd think that if I watched it again mind. There were parts of the film I really didn't like and other bits that I thought worked well. It was fun and a bit silly in places but also had great moments. They also really should have had a solid plan written out for all three films before actually filming them imo.