g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This is what, 4 months from release? Bit odd we've not seen a full trailer, don't these Marvel things normally like to get the hype train rolling about now?

Sambob

Been promoted so can finally post in here.

Im a massive Star Wars fan, have been since I was five years old and my parents got me all of the original trilogy, blatantly copied in some guys cellar from some car boot sale and I used to watch them over and over. When they announced that they were going to do a new trilogy it was like a super Christmas present.

However, as much as I like Force Awakens, it wasnt the movie that I pictured, it was a soft reintroduction and I can totally understand why they did that.

My point is (finally) that this movie makes me so excited because I really think its going to be the movie that people talk about not just because its a great Star Wars film but because its a great film, exactly in the same way that Empire stands out from New Hope and Return.

2 man midfield

Been promoted so can finally post in here.

Im a massive Star Wars fan, have been since I was five years old and my parents got me all of the original trilogy, blatantly copied in some guys cellar from some car boot sale and I used to watch them over and over. When they announced that they were going to do a new trilogy it was like a super Christmas present.

However, as much as I like Force Awakens, it wasnt the movie that I pictured, it was a soft reintroduction and I can totally understand why they did that.

My point is (finally) that this movie makes me so excited because I really think its going to be the movie that people talk about not just because its a great Star Wars film but because its a great film, exactly in the same way that Empire stands out from New Hope and Return.
Welcome to the mains.

Before the release of both FA and Rogue One everyone poured on the hype with "this will be the one!" Type phrases and they both turned out to be boring shite. I haven't rewatched either.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Welcome to the mains.

Before the release of both FA and Rogue One everyone poured on the hype with "this will be the one!" Type phrases and they both turned out to be boring shite. I haven't rewatched either.
Rogue one was excellent. Not every star wars film has to have light saber battles every 2 seconds and jedi powers making people fly all over the place.

The part when Vader comes down into the lift and how they set the tension is perfect. You genuinely feel the terror.

Sambob

Agree that Rogue One was excellent, its was very compelling and did what a prequel should do, and thats make you view elements of its sequel in a slightly different way, from a different point of view.

Force Awakens was enjoyable but not the hero we deserved, more the hero we needed, it basically just had to not fail, more than anything else, we didnt need another Phantom Menace. It was a JJ film in every sense but I think there are really good reasons to believe that The Last Jedi will be good, its in a very good position to do well. Its actually very similar to a second season Jose Mourinho Man United, theres been the fecking terrible Moyes/Van Gaal era(prequel trilogy) and then weve had the good but not quite Fergie-esque first Mourinho season featuring the return of the Pog and Zlatan that featured a lot of avoidable draws(Force Awakens) but with the Europa League and FA Cup double(Rogue One) and now we are poised to maybe have a great season. I think there are similarities. Im grasping for some of them though :D

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Welcome to the mains.

Disagree. Force Awakens has its faults, but it's an ok film, the characters had good chemistry.

Rogue One for me was probably the 2nd best Star Wars film behind Empire. I really, really enjoyed it.

2 man midfield

Rogue one was excellent. Not every star wars film has to have light saber battles every 2 seconds and jedi powers making people fly all over the place.
I never said it does?

It was poor because you didn't give a shit about the characters, you already know the outcome of the film (they get the plans) and the fact that everyone seemed like they wanted to be somewhere else. Force awakens at least had some of that charm.

Disagree. Force Awakens has its faults, but it's an ok film, the characters had good chemistry.

Rogue One for me was probably the 2nd best Star Wars film behind Empire. I really, really enjoyed it.
Ehh. I found it boring, as others have said it's a complete retread. Did they really need to have another trench run to blow up another Death Star? We've already seen that movie, why make it again?

freeurmind

weak willed

The part when Vader comes down into the lift and how they set the tension is perfect. You genuinely feel the terror.
That Vader scene may be my favorite Star Wars scene ever.

kps88

Rogue One was terrible, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

The characters were all underdeveloped and wooden. Vader contributed nothing to the story and had no reason even being in the movie. That end scene was thought up randomly and thrown in purely to appease fanboys. What's the big deal to see him cut down a few nobodies and then ultimately fail to retrieve the plans?

I would have loved to have seen a heist movie set on the Death Star. A team of rebels trying to break in and steal the plans while a peak Vader is on board, trying to stop them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I enjoyed TFA more than Rogue One but tbf that might have been down to me rather than the film. I quickly got it into my head that it was a fan-service cash in and that probably made it hard to engage with. Plus being told how different and dark it was beforehand set me up for dissapointment as it was only different and dark by Star Wars standards. None of which is the film's fault really.

TFA wasn't particularly brilliant either but I did find it quite likeable, which seemed good enough at the time.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Vader contributed nothing to the story and had no reason even being in the movie. That end scene was thought up randomly and thrown in purely to appease fanboys. What's the big deal to see him cut down a few nobodies and then ultimately fail to retrieve the plans?
Because it leads directly into the original trilogy. That scene is what sparks the start of A New Hope.

GBBQ

Rogue One was terrible, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

The characters were all underdeveloped and wooden. Vader contributed nothing to the story and had no reason even being in the movie. That end scene was thought up randomly and thrown in purely to appease fanboys. What's the big deal to see him cut down a few nobodies and then ultimately fail to retrieve the plans?

I would have loved to have seen a heist movie set on the Death Star. A team of rebels trying to break in and steal the plans while a peak Vader is on board, trying to stop them.
Obviously there is an element of appeasing the fanboys but Episode IV kicks off with vader finally catching the ship that escapes at the end of Rogue One so its not like they completely invented the scenario just to have him in the film.

kps88

Because it leads directly into the original trilogy. That scene is what sparks the start of A New Hope.
Obviously there is an element of appeasing the fanboys but Episode IV kicks off with vader finally catching the ship that escapes at the end of Rogue One so its not like they completely invented the scenario just to have him in the film.
I know. Still feel it wasn't needed; not everything has to be tied up so neatly. The scene was added in after the movie was shot, four months before release, because the editor thought it would be cool. It was never a part of their original plot.

Zarlak

I know. Still feel it wasn't needed; not everything has to be tied up so neatly. The scene was added in after the movie was shot, four months before release, because the editor thought it would be cool. It was never a part of their original plot.
It was the best thing about the film, the entire cinema went nuts for it.

GBBQ

perhaps not part of the screenplay but the story was always leading to that point. It would be different if they had Jar jar appear on the ship or something.

kps88

It was the best thing about the film
True, by some margin. Just think that reflects pretty badly on the film. They were attempting something unique and the best thing about it was the most Star Wars-y thing ever that had no impact on the main plot of the film.

Zarlak

True, by some margin. Just think that reflects pretty badly on the film. They were attempting something unique and the best thing about it was the most Star Wars-y thing ever.
:lol: That's like saying seeing Ghosts in Ghostbusters was the most Ghostbustery thing ever. I don't think it reflects badly on the film at all, the film was great and that scene was immense and topped it off.

kps88

:lol: That's like saying seeing Ghosts in Ghostbusters was the most Ghostbustery thing ever.
Na not at all. The intent here was not to make a traditional Star Wars film full of lightsabers and Jedis. It was their attempt at a more grounded war film.

Zarlak

Na not at all. The intent here was not to make a traditional Star Wars film full of lightsabers and Jedis. It was their attempt at a more grounded war film.
Which it was. Having one scene with one single character with one single lightsaber in a Star Wars film is not making a traditional Star Wars film full of lightsabers and Jedi's. There's far too much of this in movie reviews these days where 30 seconds of a film is used to somehow encompass and describe the whole 2 hours.

kps88

Which it was. Having one scene with one single character with one single lightsaber in a Star Wars film is not making a traditional Star Wars film full of lightsabers and Jedi's.
You're agreeing with me. They made a non traditional Star Wars movie in which the best thing was the 5 minutes they let themselves go full Star Wars.

Sambob

Not to add to the derailing of the thread, but one of the more overlooked things that Rogue One did for the Star Wars universe was show how ruthless the Rebellion was. Its easy to get the impression that they are the goodies fighting the baddies if you were to just watch the Original Trilogy, but you see things like Cassian willing to kill the injured spy at the start of the film, the fact that his orders were to assassinate Galen initially.

I saw an interview with Adam Driver where he talks about how relevant the films are in some ways, with effectively two militant groups that each believe with complete righteousness that they are correct and are willing to do anything for that cause.

I dont think any of the other star wars films do as good a job of highlighting certainly the Rebellion's part in that as much as Rogue One does.

Zarlak

You're agreeing with me. They made a non traditional Star Wars movie in which the best thing was the 5 minutes they let themselves go full Star Wars.
I'm not agreeing with you... this is a Star Wars film. That means we want to see Star Wars things. We just don't want to see 2 hours of all the things we're already used to. And we didn't. We got 2 hours of new things and one single scene of the thing we love but didn't want to see 2 hours of. There is nothing negative about that. It doesn't define the film. I get that you didn't like it, but lots of people absolutely loved it, it was still fresh and new while giving us what we all wanted which was to see Vader at the end kicking ass.

kps88

I'm not agreeing with you... this is a Star Wars film. That means we want to see Star Wars things. We just don't want to see 2 hours of all the things we're already used to. And we didn't. We got 2 hours of new things and one single scene of the thing we love but didn't want to see 2 hours of. There is nothing negative about that. It doesn't define the film. I get that you didn't like it, but lots of people absolutely loved it, it was still fresh and new while giving us what we all wanted which was to see Vader at the end kicking ass.
Well, I didn't like it! :)

bucky

What's this about reshooting? Why would that be necessary?
Reshoots are normal when it comes to big productions. What's not normal about this, the original directors got fired over differences towards the end of prinical photography and Howard came in to make it more to the studio's liking.