Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

GBBQ

I like to support local business

But how come I never knew Arklow had an IMAX screen? or is it an IMAX screen?
Its pretty damn big, probably a bit shy of an actual IMAX screen but big screen, good seats and great sound. Saw Dunkirk in it and was impressed.

Parma Dewol

So annoying that most Imax cinemas in the UK are only showing this in 3D. Would have liked to have seen this on Imax but it's gonna have to be standard 2D.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So annoying that most Imax cinemas in the UK are only showing this in 3D. Would have liked to have seen this on Imax but it's gonna have to be standard 2D.

Yes, i agree with this. The same happened with Rougue One with me last year. Was desperate to watch it in Imax but was only showing in 3D. And i fecking hate 3D.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Luke's dramatic close-ups saying one thing... he ain't Yoda, sitting in one place for so many years. I'll be very surprised if he won't rejoin the resistance.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought it was boring as hell. We're supposed to go on this journey with the protagonist as they learn about the Jedi, the force, lightsabers etc. But we've already seen that movie before.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just me that really enjoyed TFA?

Or was I just besotted with Daisy Ridley?
I really enjoyed it too. It was by know means a cinematic masterpiece or anything but it was good entertainment.

caid

I enjoyed it a too, i liked their new characters.
It was very safe as others have said but I liked it.

They'll have to do better with this one though imo. Think it'll go a long way towards making or breaking this trilogy

Zen

Are there endless hints to Rey turning to the red side like in the poster?

Mr Smith

Won't even bother with this since the two previous installations were totally devoid of charm, something which Star Wars relies heavily on.
:houllier: There are plenty of criticisms you can make of the new trilogy/anthology films, but I'm amazed that anyone feels this is one of them.

Mr Smith

No, and there's plenty to like/love in TFA. There's just a sensationalist culture that means you're only supposed to 100% love or 100% hate something these days apparently.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I find some people can't separate how they felt as kids watching star wars, and watching the new remakes. They want the same buzz but it'll never happen.

As a reboot though it does a good job of getting it back on it's feet, I thought rogue one was fantastic. If 8 pushes the boundaries even further then we are looking good.

Rake

Is this even available in 2D? I think that once the decision is made to for a movie to be screened in 3d, there is no actual 2d version available in theaters? I could be wrong, but I think only some animated movie being shown in 2d and 3d.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Is this even available in 2D? I think that once the decision is made to for a movie to be screened in 3d, there is no actual 2d version available in theaters? I could be wrong, but I think only some animated movie being shown in 2d and 3d.
No, there's almost always 2D projections. Most films are filmed with normal cameras and then converted to 3D in post-production.

Parma Dewol

The Imax at the Science Museum in London appears to be the only one showing 2D Imax. In the end I've gone for a standard 2D showing at my local.

Rake

Damn, I much prefer 2D but my local IMAX only shows 2D movies when there is no actual 3D version..

No, there's almost always 2D projections. Most films are filmed with normal cameras and then converted to 3D in post-production.
Which in part explains why most of the movies look absolutely terrible in 3D

Last edited:
I find some people can't separate how they felt as kids watching star wars, and watching the new remakes. They want the same buzz but it'll never happen.

As a reboot though it does a good job of getting it back on it's feet, I thought rogue one was fantastic. If 8 pushes the boundaries even further then we are looking good.
My thoughts too, it needed a full reboot and TFA gave it that. Did they play a little to safe, absolutely but after the horror show that was the prequels I think they were right to do so. What cannot be excused now is episode VIII, it has to take risks and push the boundaries.

Rogue One was the best Star Wars film since Empire.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Damn, I much prefer 2D but my local movies only shows 2D movies when there is no actual 3D version..

Which in part explains why most of the movies look absolutely terrible in 3D
I think we'll be seeing less and less 3D projections in time. After the initial craze about it I believe most people have started to realize that it does more harm than good in many cases. IMAX already announced that they're shifting their focus on 2D in the States because the people there prefer it. Hopefully Europe follows.

GBBQ

I think we'll be seeing less and less 3D projections in time. After the initial craze about it I believe most people have started to realize that it does more harm than good in many cases. IMAX already announced that they're shifting their focus on 2D in the States because the people there prefer it. Hopefully Europe follows.
The problem is they've done nothing with it. Very few films have used it effectively and mostly its tacked on post-production for a sense of depth. I think one of the few films to do it properly (at least that i saw) was Final Destination 5.

The problem is they've done nothing with it. Very few films have used it effectively and mostly its tacked on post-production for a sense of depth. I think one of the few films to do it properly (at least that i saw) was Final Destination 5.
FD5 & Avatar are the only films I’ve seen do it properly and it’s a great experience.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
FD5 & Avatar are the only films I’ve seen do it properly and it’s a great experience.
Gravity and Hugo did amazing things with it. I don't mind it being used in such cases, where it clearly enhances the experience but they're rare. It usually ends up more of a distraction, than anything else. And more expensive.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Does anyone actually like 3D?

I mean you'll get the very rare exceptions like Gravity where it's a fundamental part of the film but beyond that I don't think I've ever met any regular cinema goers who genuinely like it.

Does anyone actually like 3D?

I mean you'll get the very rare exceptions like Gravity where it's a fundamental part of the film but beyond that I don't think I've ever met any regular cinema goers who genuinely like it.
I don’t mind it these days, but if it adds nothing then what’s the point of the glasses etc, better to just go 2D.

I’d prefer the cinemas to make a decision based on whether or not the movie is a genuine 3D movie or not.

red4ever 79

I dont like 3d..It was a fad when it first came out. I thought Rogue One was an exceptional Star Wars movie. I have it behind Empire Strikes Back and possibly Return of the Jedi, but certainly above The Force Awakens.

Of course I will watch this move. If you are a star wars fan then it is something you simply have to do. I go there open minded and I hope it will be a good watch. Disappointed with Kylo Ren in the last movie though, was shown to be majorly weak.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Never heard of them. Are they from some Star Wars comic ?
Yeah sort of. It's a non-canon comedy about two guys who manage to be in the background of every film. They're all available to read for free online.