Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
It would be best for the series to abandon all known characters (from films) and start building scenario from a scratch in the Star Wars universe. Make a big jump on time axis in whichever direction and put on creators some kitsch constraints. I know money talks, but I'm sure that it would still sell big time.

Don't like the look of this newest trilogy. Star Wars have so much potential but all that Hollywood does is process it into star dust.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I forgot, why exactly was she sent to search for Luke? And train with him? I mean, the audience knows about her being all force strong and all, but have the other characters talked about it?

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I forgot, why exactly was she sent to search for Luke? And train with him? I mean, the audience knows about her being all force strong and all, but have the other characters talked about it?
She wasn't sent to train with him, the Resistance was looking for him all along for aid. I don't think it was actually explained on screen why she went their on her own.

roseguy64

She wasn't sent to train with him, the Resistance was looking for him all along for aid. I don't think it was actually explained on screen why she went their on her own.
Chewbacca went with her. As to whether he stayed? Idk

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Trailer wasn't anything special but I love that poster. I'm going to try and avoid all future trailers.

And is it just me who doesn't particularly like the space battles? The final battle in New Hope was great as it was pivotal to the story, but the rest of them are usually a case of "hurry up and get back to the action on the ground".
Pretty much. The one in Jedi was cool as it was part of the story also, it added tension when Luke was on board knowing that his friends were on their way to blow it up. The space battles in the prequels and in Force Awakens had none of this. I'd be open to a good space battle as long as the plot demands it and it actually affects something.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Play on the one from the original I think

Hyped.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Do we reckon Luke dies in this one? The title would indicate that but I'd imagine he'd be a big part of the appeal for future movies...but then any Star Wars movie will attract a feck-ton of attention anyway no matter what.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No, I think after finding the map, beating Kylo, and losing Han, she decided she needed a teacher or something.

Ubik

Do we reckon Luke dies in this one? The title would indicate that but I'd imagine he'd be a big part of the appeal for future movies...but then any Star Wars movie will attract a feck-ton of attention anyway no matter what.
Had been unsure whether the title was meant to be plural or singular, think the poster hints that it's the former as those three are the final force sensitives with Jedi training (Leia never having been trained). Unless Snoke's (still can't believe they chose that name) one in which case I dunno. I think even if he died they'd have to have him back as a force ghost for part three, which would be kinda lame so may as well just keep him around in the flesh.

He also seems to be playing Jolee Bindo in this one.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It's strange with Star Wars, I think it's definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Is there one truly great film in the entire thing? Empire maybe? But it's this huge complex universe with more depth than any other film series. It's a little bizarre that it's spawned all this.
I'm not quite sure about that. It has the potential to be but I feel like they're not taking advantage of it. They've made so many movies and they're all mostly centered around the same group of people and issues. The prequels tried to expand the horizon a bit which I liked, as an idea, it's just that the execution was awful. There seems to be a lot more world-building in the animation series, books, video games but the movies remain very conservative and limited in that regard.

I kind of feel like the **** status and nostalgia are holding the franchise back, at this point, at least for people like myself. I think most of those born in the 70s and 80s would disagree and I understand that.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm not quite sure about that. It has the potential to be but I feel like they're not taking advantage of it. They've made so many movies and they're all mostly centered around the same group of people and issues. The prequels tried to expand the horizon a bit which I liked, as an idea, it's just that the execution was awful. There seems to be a lot more world-building in the animation series, books, video games but the movies remain very conservative and limited in that regard.

I kind of feel like the **** status and nostalgia are holding the franchise back, at this point, at least for people like myself. I think most of those born in the 70s and 80s would disagree and I understand that.
I was referencing all the expanded material yeah. The universe itself is huge but I agree it's frustrating that the films are largely the same. Each one has to have tie fighters, x wings, lightsabers, Vader, at at walkers and so on and so on. It's pretty limited in that sense but the universe itself is the most detailed of any I can think of.

Art Vandelay

Chewbacca went with her. As to whether he stayed? Idk
Chewbacca got horribly sidelined, he was Luke's old mate and she went to meet Luke instead of him. Not to mention she seemed to inherit the Falcon, Leia hugged her instead of Chewie when Han died and the general gimping of Chewie. Han only saw his bowcaster for the first time in the film? Then Han took it off him to shoot some storm troopers as if Chewie couldn't do it himself.

Quite frankly it was racist against Wookies and I for one am triggered. Leia has always been racist against the Wookie people. I give you exhibit A:

No medal for the walking carpet? I rest my case.

Princess/General/Mrs Leia Skywalker/Organa/Solo - Space Racist.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Poor Chewie

Always did wonder why he got no medal. Now we know, leia was a big racist

Also for episode 7, JJ Abrams did admit he regretted Leia not consoling chewie before Rey

ChaddyP

Chewbacca got horribly sidelined, he was Luke's old mate and she went to meet Luke instead of him. Not to mention she seemed to inherit the Falcon, Leia hugged her instead of Chewie when Han died and the general gimping of Chewie. Han only saw his bowcaster for the first time in the film? Then Han took it off him to shoot some storm troopers as if Chewie couldn't do it himself.

Quite frankly it was racist against Wookies and I for one am triggered. Leia has always been racist against the Wookie people. I give you exhibit A:

No medal for the walking carpet? I rest my case.

Princess/General/Mrs Leia Skywalker/Organa/Solo - Space Racist.
maybe the medal is under the hair

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rogue One ending spliced with New Hope beginning. Brilliant stuff

(SPOILER WARNING: Don't watch if you haven't seen Rogue One).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Latest fan theory floating around is that Luke isn't Rey's father but was the person who killed him, reversing the whole twist from Episode V.

Nickosaur

Latest fan theory floating around is that Luke isn't Rey's father but was the person who killed him, reversing the whole twist from Episode V.
Like that a lot more than the obvious theory.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Like that a lot more than the obvious theory.
There's a lot of stuff on Reddit about how it makes sense thematically etc which reads a bit too much into it, but yeah, as a basic theory it'd be really interesting, and much better than what everyone's expecting.

Ubik

I could live with that, though it could also lead to a far too similar moment of revelation which would feel a little like they really are just copying the beats from the first trilogy. Though there's also the rumoured first words of Luke to her, and I'm not sure how they fit to anything really.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I could live with that, though it could also lead to a far too similar moment of revelation which would feel a little like they really are just copying the beats from the first trilogy. Though there's also the rumoured first words of Luke to her, and I'm not sure how they fit to anything really.
Possibly yeah. What's the rumoured first words?

Ubik

Possibly yeah. What's the rumoured first words?
"Who are you?"

Would've expected him to know who she was regardless of her relation, unless he's totally sworn himself off the force. Which I suppose given his words in the trailer isn't out of the question.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
"Who are you?"

Would've expected him to know who she was regardless of her relation, unless he's totally sworn himself off the force. Which I suppose given his words in the trailer isn't out of the question.
Sounds like bullshit. The film confirms that Kylo was sent to be trained by Luke, and the book for Episode 6 confirms that...

both Rey and Kylo know each other from their past which the film also heavily hints at which means she would have been present with Luke and that he knows her.

Art Vandelay

He wouldn't have had to say those words if it was Chewie going to meet him instead of Rey. Always trying to keep the Wookie down.

I read a theory that the line about the Jedi having to end is because:

Luke has been searching for Jedi teachings and lore for years, but found most of them to be wrong or only really being useful for a different time long gone. The shot of the books is possibly all that Luke found that's actually useful. There's also rumours that it's the journal of the Whills. Either way it looks like it's switching more to grey areas instead of light and dark, which I think gives more story telling wiggle room.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sounds like bullshit. The film confirms that Kylo was sent to be trained by Luke, and the book for Episode 6 confirms that...

both Rey and Kylo know each other from their past which the film also heavily hints at which means she would have been present with Luke and that he knows her.
Tbf him asking who she is doesn't necessarily mean he genuinely doesn't know who she is. He might be lying up to the point where he explains the truth to her, whatever that is. After all, as far as she knows he's never met her before. Film wouldn't work if he gave the twist away instantly.

Zen

Given how easy TFA was to predict from even the earliest trailer....I may just skip all this.

Ubik

For what it's worth it was from an LA Times film business reporter that attended a shareholder meeting and saw some preview footage.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It appears that is not The Force Awakens teaser. Misc footage from film and trailers edited similarly to The Last Jedi teaser.