Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
TBH VvV, I pretty much loved it from the off. Felt right at home but it’s really now, 20 odd hours in and I’m getting more familiar with the systems and rhythm of the game that I’m really falling in deep.

Played nowt else since Friday. This makes my XBox worth every penny.

Thos thing will keep me busy for yonks buddy. Hope you enjoy it too.
The ship building looks great. Apparently mobility is the big one that makes the combat a lot more enjoyable.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
:lol:

The ship building looks great. Apparently mobility is the big one that makes the combat a lot more enjoyable.
The ship building is very decent. Could be more free flowing, but it is both easy to use and at least somewhat deep.

But that shows the biggest flaw with this game for me, the base of what they wanted to do and told us what it would be is there, but it's just not realised. Like the ship building, you get to do all this cool stuff and you get to mess with power levels and all that, but then you never do sod all with it. You can't fly your ship around properly, it's limited to a few space battles where nothing really matters, it's just a huge waste of a mechanic that actually has all the parts there.

It's not like Cyberpunk that was broken from the start and can't ever be turned into what they promised, it's actually got all the right bits in the right places. But they definitely ran short on time and reigned it all in. Hopefully they will open it up with DLCs.

Dan

Anyone else taking damage from Sarah throwing grenades?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’ve not done any ship building yet, keep meaning to get involved in that but been happy following the story and doing plenty of exploration for now. Just looking round is cool and I’ve had some genuinely cool moments on some planets.

The mobility and combat are just fine, not quite COD levels but more than good enough to enjoy it.

There’s a lot to enjoy and I haven’t wanted to go into work at all this week, been getting up and playing before work each day. Also I’m loving the soundtrack, keep catching myself whistling the main score :)

It is literally Skyrim 2189 and that’s no bad thing for me, that’s the game I’ve spent more time in than owt else so with that in mind and the fact I love well realised sci fi this is a real winner.

Im also pretty optimistic about its future too. Todd Howard said he’s making a game to last a decade so I’d be really surprised if the game doesn’t change form or expand somewhat over the coming years.

As @Redlambs said, it’s got all the right bits in all the right places. There’s so much good to focus on that the few shortcomings have been easy for me to overlook asnd accept but as an eternal optimist, I think some smart DLC will elevate it even more.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ve not done any ship building yet, keep meaning to get involved in that but been happy following the story and doing plenty of exploration for now. Just looking round is cool and I’ve had some genuinely cool moments on some planets.

The mobility and combat are just fine, not quite COD levels but more than good enough to enjoy it.

There’s a lot to enjoy and I haven’t wanted to go into work at all this week, been getting up and playing before work each day. Also I’m loving the soundtrack, keep catching myself whistling the main score :)

It is literally Skyrim 2189 and that’s no bad thing for me, that’s the game I’ve spent more time in than owt else so with that in mind and the fact I love well realised sci fi this is a real winner.

Im also pretty optimistic about its future too. Todd Howard said he’s making a game to last a decade so I’d be really surprised if the game doesn’t change form or expand somewhat over the coming years.

As @Redlambs said, it’s got all the right bits in all the right places. There’s so much good to focus on that the few shortcomings have been easy for me to overlook asnd accept but as an eternal optimist, I think some smart DLC will elevate it even more.
I meant ship combat!

Today is the day. Or rather tonight, about 11pm probably for me :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's the consensus? Good game but nothing genre or generation defining? Or something that will last and be remembered very fondly?
I’m a couple of hours in. It’s definitely not going to be genre defining - that seems clear already. But will post more detailed impressions later.

Volumiza

I meant ship combat!

Today is the day. Or rather tonight, about 11pm probably for me :wenger:
Aah, ok dude, yeah ship combat ain't gonna set your world on fire mate. It's ok for what it is and I suppose it would be an achilles heel if there wasn't so much else to enjoy.

Not long now!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Aah, ok dude, yeah ship combat ain't gonna set your world on fire mate. It's ok for what it is and I suppose it would be an achilles heel if there wasn't so much else to enjoy.

Not long now!
I saw a comment that said it’s a lot more enjoyable once your ship is up to speed though. I just want a fancy ship really though to be honest. Unfortunately won’t have much time to play this week or next.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I saw a comment that said it’s a lot more enjoyable once your ship is up to speed though. I just want a fancy ship really though to be honest. Unfortunately won’t have much time to play this week or next.
You can get a legendary mantis ship and space suit as soon as you finish the tutorial. Just Google/tiktok it for instructions.

Nickosaur

Tried to stay away from any starfield news since early access kicked off but in about an hour I'll be kicking off my save. Can't fecking wait!

Still no idea what build/background to go with :lol: any essential skills to focus on early doors? Or does it not really matter?

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Tried to stay away from any starfield news since early access kicked off but in about an hour I'll be kicking off my save. Can't fecking wait!

Still no idea what build/background to go with :lol: any essential skills to focus on early doors? Or does it not really matter?
In no particular order

• Boost Pack Training - Jet pack ability
  • Persuasion - Better persuasion success
  • Security - Lock Picking
  • Stealth - Sneaking, and sneak attacks
  • Theft - Pick pocketing
  • Targeting Control Systems - The ability to target individual systems on enemy ships so you can deal with them more strategically. Take out the engines and board them.
  • Weight lifting - better carry capacity
  • Ballistic Weapons - more damage

Fully Fledged

About 3 hours in.
Okay, I Just finished the first mission, and brought the artifact to Constellation. Enjoying it so far.

Volumiza

How does this compare to No Man’s Sky?
Worse in one respect, you can’t take off, land or fly around as freely.

Similar in some respects. Exploring and scanning.

Better in every other respect. Much better.

I love NMS but it’d be hard going back to it after this if it weren’t for the recent VR update for NMS.

Woodzy

It seems decent so far but I just can’t really be arsed for it at the same time. I think I’m burnt out from these types of games.

Looting drives me mad as well, I just couldn’t care less about half the crap you pick up but don’t want to miss out on useful items. It’s so difficult to focus on what you are picking up.

Alock1

It sounds like the NG+ might be 'defining'. Looks an awesome way to approach it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Also, I find it incredibly stupid that on fullscreen I have to play at 1440p because that's my monitor's native resolution. How dumb is that?

I've seen there is a mod to fix this but still :lol:

Hamnat

Anyone bought the DLSS mods? I saw some of the videos on the increased framerates etc after.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
God it really feels 30fps on the Xbox. It’s also really glarey or blurry or something even with film grain and motion blur off. It’s weird.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Oh god, I'm now deep in this. Roaming around, trying to complete surveys on pointless planets, trying to find the last critter in some crap forest, walking around desert moons for hour/s. I'm stupid.
Also spent a good hour and a half trying to edit my ship/figure out how ship building works, to add a cargo hull. Not sure if I've finished more than two quests today.

I have to get back on track.

Nickosaur

I'm going to spend far too much time on this in the next few months :lol:

Spent way too much time on Kreet. Flew to another part and found something
even scarier than a Deathclaw... the terromorph?! It roared and jumped about 20 feet in the air so I got the feck out of there without even trying to fight it
Arrived in New Atlantis and completed the first mission. I'm finding the game brilliant already tbh and it hasn't even begun to open up.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Played about 3 hours and god there is so much to learn/take in its quite daunting.

Loving the fact it has quite an Interstellar vibe at times. I freaked a little when I had to fock with this thing and it looked like the movie.

Alock1

God it really feels 30fps on the Xbox. It’s also really glarey or blurry or something even with film grain and motion blur off. It’s weird.
First thing I do on most games is turn shit like motion blur all the way down, but ended up turning it back up cause of the 30fps. It helps, though obviously nowhere near a substitute for 60.

Only had blur or glare issues in a few poorly lit areas. But when it happens it's wank and I just move on quickly.

Alock1

Played about 3 hours and god there is so much to learn/take in its quite daunting.

Loving the fact it has quite an Interstellar vibe at times. I freaked a little when I had to fock with this thing and it looked like the movie.
I think they've absolutely nailed the aesthetic and vibe. The art style hits great especially with the awesome music / sound design.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes it’s quite a challenge to deal with. AAA titles like this simply should not be 30fps. Feels like you’re playing something last gen.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can get a legendary mantis ship and space suit as soon as you finish the tutorial. Just Google/tiktok it for instructions.
What counts as finishing the tutorial? I’m already knee deep in side missions in New Atlantis and have several jobs :lol:

Volumiza

What counts as finishing the tutorial? I’m already knee deep in side missions in New Atlantis and have several jobs :lol:
Some advice I took was stick with the storyline till
you have your crew
before getting lost in side mission as this introduces you to the systems and locations that will make everything else easier.

I didn’t act on that advice initially but once I got to that stage it seemed sound.

Evrythings so tempting though innit?:)